Best Friend

 

As you unwrapped another piece of chocolate Kisses, your mind starts thinking about your friends. Are they having fun? Did they take a limo? Who’s crowned King and Queen of the night? You stare at your gown that hung innocently on your closet’s handle. It was a beautiful gold and beige chiffon dress that ended by the floor. The torso was covered in gold sequins and they were formed like rays on the sun as they went down your chiffon skirt. You had it specially made for this occasion, but because of the certain turn of events, you decided that you’d rather not go to senior year’s grand ball. Your three hundred thirty thousand-Won dress and your twenty thousand-Won golden stiletto pumps were put to waste by a single guy.

Oh Sehun.

He was your date. Supposedly. You were so happy with him. He was dorky, sweet, charming, and you found his lisp rather cute. You two lasted for six months. It was sad. You never gave much thought if he was ‘the one’ but you expected that the both of you would’ve lasted a bit longer.

But then Jung Soojung came along.

She was a total . When she transferred, it was like a ing Mean Girls scene when the both of you would cross ways. Keeping a score over whose bag was more designer or limited edition, whose heels were higher, Android or Apple? Was it Tag Heuer, was it Rolex, or was it Tissot? —it was a ing brand war happening at school between you and Soojung.

And then, just got real. Sehun broke up with you yesterday, during your graduation after party and Sulli just told you that Soojung whisked him away. She currently has Sehun wrapped around her finger, or how Sulli puts it ‘The is a Man Eater and I think she found victim number five hundred sixty nine.’

That’s where you snap. You felt worthless, like some stupid rich that it up with every guy you chose. You felt like a stupid concubine and Sehun finally found his third wife. Goddamit. You can’t cry now.

Suddenly, your sister, Tiffany, pokes her head through your door. “Dearie, better get dressed up. We have to leave for Incheon soon.” She smiles gently, noticing the scattered silver balls on your table and your tears. She frowns. “Wallowing in the comfort of fats will not help, baby.” She fully enters with your little brother, Leo and your little sister, Lauren, in tow. “You need to watch your figure.” She sits down on the space beside you and your little siblings stand in front of you.

“Noona! Don’t be sad anymore! I’ll kick Sehun if I have to!” he said jumping up and down, his little apple cut bouncing along with him. You give them a small smile and pick Leo up, seating him on your leg. He kisses your cheek and your smile widens and you kiss him back.

Your little brother sure knows how to charm you better than Sehun.

“Unnie… didn’t you tell me that big girls don’t cry? Then stop crying!” she wiped your tears away and you kissed her forehead, gesturing her to sit on your other leg. She complies and Tiffany helps her up, and she hugs your waist. “He’s just an icky boy!” she whispered, careful not to let Leo hear her statement. You laugh at how adorable they are, temporarily forgetting your aching heart.

“Now, get up and change. You don’t want to miss your one in a lifetime chance to attend Coachella with Cousin Henry and Cousin Kris, right?” she says, grinning. “Forget about Thehung, okay? I want you in your best outfit tonight!” she stands up and the two get off your lap, running to their nannies.

“Thanks Fany.” She grins and hugs you tight, feeling comforted by your loving sister.

“You’re welcome.” She pulls away and leaves you be, letting you choose your wardrobe.

After taking a hot bath, you wear Aztec printed tights, a loose blue sweater, and your pink feather earrings before slipping into a pair of vintage black Vans. You filled your bag with the rest of your necessities i.e. laptop, charger, phone charger, iPod, phone, wallet, chewy candy for your siblings, a pen, a set of colored markers, Wreck This Journal and your actual journal-slash-doodle-book. You sling your bag on one shoulder and unplug all electronics and then, you finally go out of your room.

“Fany!! I’m going out already!” you say as you pass by her room, knocking on her door.

You walk out to the gate of your house, where the convoy is patiently waiting for your other family members. Suddenly, a glimpse of a suit catches your attention, but it didn’t look like your bodyguards’ nor butlers’ uniform. And then it hit you. Standing there in his bad boy pose is your best friend.

Kim Jongin. Or Kai.

“Kai!” you give your bag to your butler and run to him with your arms wide open. He welcomes your tackle hug positively and as soon as your arms wrap around his neck, his arms wrap around your waist and he lifts you up.

“Wow. You finally went out, huh?” he mumbles into your ear as he puts you down and he loosens his arms around you.

“Idiot. I’m leaving tonight so I have to.” You pull away and lightly kick his shin. “Hey, why aren’t you at prom? Where’s your date—“

“Don’t say her name.” he sighed, putting his palm over your lips. “She… she ditched me for some nerd.” He shrugged.

“Mrmhrm.” You manage to reply, and he realized that he hasn’t pulled away yet. When he did, you looked at him, mirroring his sadness. “Does that mean we’re both unlucky the night of grand ball?” You giggle and lightly punch his cheek, playing around with your knuckles against his skin.

“Yah.” He knocks your hand off his face, laughing a little. “Are you leaving yet? I’ve got something important to tell you.” He says and gestures to the two cars waiting for you.

“It usually takes ten minutes to get Leo in the water and another hour to wash him properly.” You giggle and shake your head. “So I’m gonna be here for a bit.” You grin.

“Great.” He wraps his arms around your waist and pulls you closer to him, molding both of your bodies together. “I-we…How should I say this…” he mumbles to himself as he takes your wrists and he places your arms on his shoulders. In return, you fold them behind his head and rest your foreheads against it each others’.

Yup, totally normal.

“We?” you whisper, staring up at his brown eyes.

“Telling you this right now is stupid but… I know that we haven’t had any decent closure with each of exes,” he starts and your heart races. You wish that your sweater’s thick enough to muffle it. “But I decided that I’d rather have closure with you first, rather than with her.” You heart drops.

What was he saying?

“I don’t think we could be friends anymore.” He sighs and pulls you closer, if possible. “I don’t like being your guy best friend that you could tell anything to. I love you, yes I do and I’m done with that platonic stage. I love you too much that I’d rather see you cry over not being able to go to LV’s sale than that brat. H-he’s not worth it, okay? I’m being selfish here but I want you to smile because of me, I want to be that one person you think about when you wake up and fall asleep. I want to be your pillow during long travels, I want to be your blanket whenever we’re out and you’re cold, I want to cheer you up after a bad grade, I want to be that pillar of support.” Everything felt so surreal. Your best friend, the guy Soojung has been gushing on if she wasn’t worshipping Sehun’s feet, was confessing to you. Sehun’s hyung… called him a brat… because of what he did to you.

“I want to be that guy… because you’re the girl that does all those things to me. I think about you when I wake up and before I sleep. You lend me your lap when I need to catch up on my sleep when we’re traveling, you keep my hands in yours when I forget my gloves, you make me smile when I force myself not to… you keep me up and going everyday. I want you to be mine, and I’m really wishing that you want me to be yours.” He cups your cheek with his hand, tilting your head up to meet his eyes.

You’ve never felt so happy in your whole life.

“Uh… are you okay?” he asks. “Did I go too far?” his eyes widen, staring at your face, looking for an answer. “You don’t feel the same—mrmph.” Your arms tighten around his neck and you hoist yourself up, both of your legs folding behind your thighs. Kai lets go of your cheek and his arms hold you up as you two share a long but innocent kiss.

“No, no. No I’m not okay.” You say as he puts you down and you bury your face where his neck met his shoulder. “I’m not okay because you became overly cheesy when you could’ve just told me you loveme.” You pull away and pout at him, and he bends down to peck your protruding lower lip. “I’m not okay because you decided to tell me when I’m leaving.” You glare at him jokingly. “I’m not okay because I have to wait one whole month to go on a decent date with you.” Your glare intensifies and you can see him bite his lip to prevent from laughing.  “But I’m okay because I’m not leaving with a heavy heart.” You stand on your tiptoes and peck the corner of his lips. “Skype you?” you mumble.

“Every night. No skipping.” He mumbles against your lips and the both of you kiss again. His hands grip the sides of your sweater tightly, and you pull him closer by his tie. You feel his tongue graze your lip and you permit access, until a cough from behind interrupts the both of you. You abruptly pull your lips away and look back, and you see Tiffany looking smug.

Caught.

“Better finish that session soon. Dad’s on his way out.” She winks at the both of you and rides the car.

“Well then, I’ll talk to you when I get to the other side of the world.” You peck his lips one last time and let go of him, putting a little distance.

“We’re going on a date when you get back okay?” He leans forward to kiss your forehead. “Whoops. Your dad is there.” He pulls back and you turn around fully. On queue, your plump father exits the gate and stares at the both of you haughtily.

“The both of you save it for when we get back.” He says, smirking. “I don’t want to miss our flight.” He sends Kai a wink and rides the other car.

“Bye.” You say hugging his waist and he wraps his arms around your back.

“Bye.” The both of you squeeze each other and stay in that position for a few seconds, until Lauren and Leo come running to you.

“Noona we have to go!! Hi Kai hyung!” Leo tugs on the hem of your sweater and then he waves at Kai.

“Hi Kai oppa.” Lauren says bashfully, hiding behind you.

“Have a safe trip, okay?” he messes Leo’s hair up and pinches Lauren’s cheek, making the little girl blush.

“Looks like someone has a wittle cwush on Kai oppa.” You say and carry Lauren, holding onto Leo with your free hand. “Bye Kai.” You give him one last smile before turning around and bringing the kids to your car. As you settle in the van, you open your window and wave at Kai, giving him a flying kiss.