Best Friends

My Best Friend

Jessica smiled bitterly as she slowly watched Kim Heechul, her absolute best friend who she trusted so much more than life itself, walk down the street seemingly lonely street with Park Eunjin, the new pretty girl who had just moved here from a another area in South Korea. Jessica hated the sight in front of her for some reason, and she really didn't know why. After all, it was just Kim Heechul. Her best friend since childhood days, the only person who took care of her when she was alone, the special person who dried her tears when she cried and the person who would always be there for her.

Yes, it was just her best friend Heechul.

Jessica watched from a rather comfortable distance, gulping slightly. Heechul and Eunjin were currently on a date. Yes, an actual date. Of course, much to the displeasure of Jessica. For the entire period of time Jessica had known Heechul, he had never dated a girl. And for that very reason, Jessica encouraged Heechul to date somebody. You see, Jessica had dated some people while Heechul hadn't. Jessica always nagged Heechul on this topic, telling him to date other people. But every time, just like the other,Heechul rejected the offers she had made to him. But one day, the new girl Park Eunjin, she approached Jessica asking her to get set up with Heechul. At first, Jessica thought it was a great idea and managed to convince the annoyed Heechul to go on a date.

But now, Jessica was beginning to regret the decision.

For some reason, it hurt badly to see the pair walking together.


With a sweet and happy grin plastered onto her lips, Eunjin smiled at Heechul. And for some reason which was currently unknown, Heechul simply smiled back. Jessica really wasn't sure of what was going on, but she wanted to know so dearly. For the first time in Jessica's entire life, she wished silently that Heechul was standing beside her instead of standing beside someone else. But then again, Heechul had never actually stood anywhere else but beside Jessica.

Never once had she wanted to be next to Heechul with such desperation.

Never once had she wanted someone to stay away from Heechul with such anger.

And  never once had she wanted to pretend that what she was seeing was a dream with such sadness.


For some reason, the world suddenly felt so cold and hollow. It was so weird, Jessica never felt this way before in her entire life. Just yesterday, Jessica was feeling so happy and bright. But then again, Heechul was standing beside her that day. Yesterday was so much more different than today. Yesterday, her best friend was smiling at Jessica. Today, her best friend was smiling at her. Jessica didn't know why she was feeling so miserable.

Maybe, was it... love?

Jessica shook her head vigorously, brushing off the idea as only a passing thought.

After all, there was no way she could have fallen in love with Heechul.

Right?


Jessica gulped once again. There was no way that what she was feeling could have been love. After all, Heechul was only her best friend. To grow feelings for such a person would have just been odd. Jessica slowly followed the couple, soon ending up in a park. Eunjin and Heechul were calmly sitting on 2 swings. Heechul looked around, his eyes catching Jessica's eyes. With an intensely bitter taste in , Jessica smiled at Heechul slowly. Heechul stared back, hurt obviously in his expression.

Jessica quickly looked away, wondering why it hurt so much.

Maybe though, just maybe, it's because she let her best friend go on a date with someone else.


Soon, the date ended. Eunjin stood up from the swing and moved her head closer to Heechul's. Jessica felt another stab of pain. But then, Heechul turned his head away from her and looked away. Eunjin let out a slightly angry look, saying something before walking away. Once Eunjin disappeared, Jessica approached Heechul.

"So, Heechul oppa, how did the date go with Eunjin-shi? Did you enjoy yourself?" Jessica asked with a slight tone of disappointment, approaching Heechul in a somewhat cautious manner. Heechul simply sat on the swing, letting the wind blow through his hair. He didn't even bother neatening it after it had become messy.

"Sica, I absolutely hated it. I hated it so much." Heechul muttered quietly with a blank expression on his face, his dark coloured hair gently covering his beautiful eyes. Jessica stared for a second, feeling that something was wrong with Heechul. He, her best friend, usually wasn't like this. Usually, Heechul would have that bright and mischevious smile plastered onto his face. But for some reason, Heechul didn't smile. Instead, the corner of his lips lowered slightly, turning into a frown.

"Chullie oppa, why? Why didn't you enjoy it? Why didn't you like it? Why aren't you smiling? Why did you hate it so badly? Why-" Jessica was cut off from her loud rant of unstoppable questions with a intense gaze given to her Heechul. At that single yet slow moment, Jessica stopped speaking and stared back at Heechul.

"Because I saw you smile at us." Heechul answered with a somewhat annoyed yet completely depressed tone. Jessica gave a questioning look, not truly understanding what those words meant.

"Huh? I really don't get it." Jessica replied with a slightly annoyed expression. Heechul let a slight smile reach his lips, but it didn't truly seem that Heechul was happy.

"I didn't expect you to get it, so I'll continue dating her." Heechul muttered with a wishful and somewhat dark look. His eyes quickly turned away from Jessica and looking into the distance. Jessica didn't know why, but it hurt when Heechul said that he would continue dating her. Jessica didn't really know what to do.

"What? No! Don't!" Jessica suddenly yelled suddenly. After realising what she had just said, Jessica took both her hands and covered . Heechul's eyes widened as Jessica shouted those words.

"Huh?" Heechul questioned as he gave Jessica another intense gaze. Jessica quickly averted her eyes away from Heechul. At that moment, time seemed to stand still.

"Um, I mean..." Jessica bit one of her finger slightly and nervously, Heechul let out a disappointed sigh. And with that, Heechul stood up from the swing and took a step forward.

"I really need to go now. Jessica, I'll see you tomorrow. Be good, okay?" Heechul asked rhetorically, putting his hand delicately on her shoulder. Slowly, he took a few more steps forward.

"Heechul oppa, wait!" Jessica called, holding onto the back of Heechul's shirt. Jessica couldn't properly see Heechul's expression, but it seemed that he was biting his lip.

"I'm tired. I'll take to you later. Really, I need to be going now." Heechul muttered quietly and sadly, touching Jessica's soft hand and trying to pry it off his clothing.

"Wait! Don't leave yet!" Jessica exclaimed loudly once again, not knowing why he was saying such things. Heechul gripped Jessica's hand slightly, squeezing his hand tightly.

"... What is it?" Heechul asked quietly.

"..." Jessica stayed silent.

"Goodbye." Heechul spoke quietly and silently, Jessica's hand slowly let go of Heechul's shirt. With another hesitant step, Heechul began to walk forward and away from Jessica.

"... Please don't date Eunjin-shi anymore. Heechul oppa. Really, please don't date Eunjin anymore." Jessica said quietly, only loud enough for Heechul to hear. Heechul's expression brightened slightly.

"... Why should I?" Heechul asked rhetorically.

"Because... I don't want you too." Jessica replied in a rather pathetic way.

"Is that the only reason?" Heechul asked in a slightly hopeful manner.

"... I don't know..." Jessica spoke.

"Jessica, if you don't know, then it's pointless." Heechul said in a somewhat cruel and cold way. Jessica bit her lip slightly. At that moment, Jessica wasn't sure why, but she began to whimper slightly with teary eyes.

"Oppa... Don't date her anymore... please... I don't know why, but it hurts every time I see you with Eunjin. It hurts really badly... Every time I see her standing beside you, I wish that she wasn't. I wish that you were standing beside me instead. Really... I don't know why I'm like this now. It feels so weird on the inside. I don't like it..." Jessica whispered quietly, allowing the rough wind to take her words to Heechul's ears. Jessica let out a quiet whimper at this point, her eyes watering once again. A tear gently ran down Jessica's pale cheek. At the moment Jessica spoke those words, a silent smile appeared on Jessica's cheeks.

"Ne... Jessica..." Heechul muttered.

"Oppa..." Jessica cried quietly. Heechul turned his head to face Jessica, a slightly hopeful look shining in his eyes. Jessica's slightly reddened eyes looked up into Heechul's.

"I... You... do you think that love could happen between best friends?" Heechul asked rhetorically. Jessica listened to that question and blushed, knowing the  hidden message in those words. Basically, it was a way of asking Jessica whether she thought love between them was possible.

... I think... love... is very possible... for such things to happen..." Jessica muttered.

And for the first time today, Heechul smiled at her.

A true smile.


And with that smile, soon followed a gentle and breath-taking kiss. Jessica's eyes widened slightly as Heechul gazed into them. The kiss wasn't rough or even passionate. That kiss was just gentle and full of love. Jessica didn't want to admit it, she never wanted to admit it. But now was the chance to say how she felt. Jessica knew, people lived in fear of love. Jessica was one of those people. But somehow, Jessica felt that with Heechul, maybe this love continue. Unlike the failing relationships she had in the past. Maybe, just maybe, Jessica had found her prince. Well, more like she finally realised where her prince way. After a couple seconds, they pulled away from each other. Jessica flushed a dark red while Heechul smiled at her.

"I love you."