Just Friends

The Polar Opposite

The boy and the girl stood alone together by a building block. The girl looked down at the ground and twiddled her thumbs. The boy nervously and awkwardly slung his arm over his head and scratched himself.

"So...do you like me too?"


Three boys sat around a table outdoors, observing their friend talking to a girl by a building block. They looked down at their lunches while stealing glances at the two.

"Is he asking her out?" the shortest one asked. He held onto his sandwich roll without even taking a bite.

"We wouldn't know, you idiot, we can't hear them!" the boy listening to music far too loudly answered. He hardly showed interest in his friend's conversation with the girl, and continued eating from his bento box.

"Jeez Junhyung, stop being moody for once and show some enthusiasm," the short boy said cheerfully, "I can't believe my boy Kikwang is finally going to have a girlfriend!" His eyes were glued onto the two now, forgetting that he was supposed to be pretending not to look.

"Yoseob, stop staring, they're going to see you," a female voice said from behind. She sat in between Yoseob and the tallest of the group, Doojoon. "Besides, it's not what you think. That's Gina Choi, she's in my English class, she told me she was going to tell Kikwang she likes him."

"What the hell, Hyuna?" Doojoon interjected, "How do you know that?"

"The other day she asked if Kikwang was my boyfriend, weird right? Anyway, I told her 'no' and when I asked her 'why', she told me that."

"What do you mean that's weird, anyone would think you and Kikwang are dating," Junhyung took his earphones out, the loud music could still be heard. "And if you say Gina Choi is confessing to him, he's probably trying to let her down without asking her out."

"Why?"

"What do you mean 'why'? Doojoon ripped off a piece of Hyuna's tuna sandwich, "Kikwang likes you."

"What!?" Hyuna and Yoseob screamed in unison.

"Okay, I get that Yoseob can't see it, he's an idiot," Junhyung teased, "but you should be able to see it, Hyuna. You two have been spending more time together, and now he's completely smitten by you."

"Yeah, Junhyung, did you know Hyuna and Kikwang text each other 'good morning' texts?" Doojoon added while munching onto Hyuna's sandwich.

"Shut up guys, we just spend late nights texting. So what?"

" Hyuna, you do cute couple things like that, and you think you're 'just friends'?" Junhyung smirked at her. "I'm telling you, he's got a crush on you, and you're lying if you say you don't like him." He put his earphones back into his ears.

Hyuna took Yoseob's sandwich roll since Doojoon had just stolen her lunch. Did Kikwang have a crush on her? She's been friends with Doojoon, Junhyung, Yoseob and him for four years now. But it was only a month ago did the two of them began spending more time together. But did this mean he caught feelings for her? Can't a boy and a girl be 'just friends'?

"Hey Hyuna," Doojoon interrupted her train of thought, "were you daydreaming again? Anyway, I asked you if you like him too."

"Well..." she began her response, "Kikwang's nice,"

"And?"

"And funny,"

"And?"

"And he's smart,"

"And?"

Hyuna rolled her eyes and said the answer they were anticipating to hear, "And he's cute."

"She likes him too!" the three boys yelled in unison.

"Hey! Just because that's how I see him, does not mean I like him!" Hyuna could feel her cheeks burning.

"Well then, it's settled," Yoseob ignored her, "he's going to ask her out!"

"Quiet Yoseob!" Hyuna was conscious Kikwang and Gina Choi, who were still idly chatting, would hear his loud voice. "Just a second ago you were hoping he'd ask Gina Choi out! And you guys all know I don't want to get into another relationship."

"Oh yes, we all know the tragic love story between you and your boy Joon," Doojoon dramatically clutched his heart.

Hyuna chuckled. "Shut up Doojoon, you know there's no such thing as love for people our age, we're freaking seventenn/eighteen. It's only lust."

"Wait," Junhyung scraped the rest of the rice in his bento box, "so the entire seven months you dated Lee Joon, you never said 'I love you'?"

"Yup," Hyuna continued eating Yoseob's lunch.

"Ooh," Yoseob started jumping up and down, "maybe Kikwang will be the first person you say it to."

"Shut up, I don't love him," she chuckled at his bright, childish behaviour.

"You don't love who?" Hyuna turned around to see Kikwang standing behind her. Doojoon and Yoseob scuffled away from Hyuna to make room for him to sit next to her.

"So what were you and Gina Choi talking about?" Junhyung immediately asked to spare a potential awkward conversation.

"Nothing, she just told me she likes me," Kikwang casually shrugged.

"And what'd you say to her?"

The conversation was cut short by the bell. The three boys quickly scooped their bags to head to class, and to leave Kikwang and Hyuna alone. While they walking to chemistry together, Hyuna decided to ask Junhyung's unanswered question.

"So, what did you say to her?"

"I told her I liked someone else, and that we should just be friends. She seemed cool about it."

"You like someone?"

"Yeah, I'll tell you who it is after school. Coffee run as usual?"

Hyuna nodded and shrugged off the thought of who she was thinking of.