Enjoy ~

Risk It

    I always had the habit of wanting to have and be something I can never reach .. besides having a good school performance which for me was one of my distractions, besides music and writing, to make me forget some things in my life .. I also always wanted to be the girl who is surrounded by admirers and friends....  but I was never that superficial and I am not fake enough so I never could join a group like that...I think ...also, I always wanted to be more talkative with everyone who likes to chat, be the life of the party, but I was always very reserved and of course .. I always wished to have a boyfriend....who never wanted the perfect guy?

    Since I was a little girl, I always had a soft spot for my front neighbor's son. The boy who since childhood always had the courage to be my friend, my best friend indeed, although I was never the popular kind of person and the fact that I always took little care of my appearance, the boy who always made me laugh when I cried and he is the guy that I'll never be able to withdraw completely from my life.

    You know .. it seems that all this seems to sound like a beautiful love story, but someone, had more courage then me and asked him for a date.

     The queen of the school, as they call her ... the cold-hearted girl, that has looks that would win any prizes for beauty contests .. she is just another cliché character if that is was we can call her. Despite having all the attention of the world, it is all appearances. Just because she is popular, everyone who goes along with her  also becomes popular, so with many fake smiles and irony she spends her days.

     I frankly do not care about the temporary fame that she has now, because I know that beyond this little world that we are now inserted, she is a nobody in the world of work .. but why did she had to steal something so precious to me? The only guy who I never and will never forget, the one in which I had eyes only, the one who made --

"Hello! So, how are you today, beautiful? " Someone interrupts my train of thoughts and sits down on the park bench next to me.
     After seeing who was talking to me, I shift my head's direction again letting my hair down, covering part of my face so he would not discover that I was blushing. It was him. My best friend, the boy with whom I dreamed of being happy with.

"Aren't you listening to me, miss head in the clouds? How was your day? "He asks again, releasing a light laugh that I figured it had brighten his handsome face, as he always did, every time he represented his delight.

"I'm fine." I replied simply, lowering more my head, when I saw that his girlfriend had arrived into her convertible and expensive car.
      So typical of a rich girl isn't it?
     Once again I raise my head to regret my action after.

     She removed her sunglasses and when my best friend got into the car, she turned her head towards him and kissed him in front of those who wanted to see.

     I bite my lip stopping the tears that demanded to be released and tried to control  my anger upon knowing that he was only one of her many boy toys.

     But he never would choose ... the girl in sneakers, t-shirt and that is in a band, all boys prefer girls in high heels, with elegantly proportioned bodies in a super feminine beautiful dress that is from some well known brand that all other girls envied, with her hair perfectly aligned without even a strand out of place, perfect makeup and long manicured nails....

      Not that I tried, I admit I even think I am pretty, but the way the other girls dress is not my style .. what if ...he liked the result of my efforts? ... But of course he has a girlfriend, it would be a worthless day work in the end ...

      Thus, the bus  in which I expected arrives and once again my thoughts are interrupted, until I get in and sit down to go home, after another day of productive, but exhausting classes.

       Once back at home, I found it strange the late hour that he pulled the blinds and curtains open of his room to speak with me message via paper.

       ...Yes,since we where little this has become our main form of communication and we never lost the habit since then.

      I caught my pad of paper and wrote what I wanted to ask him,  since I was wondering the reason for his sad expression, that seemed to be one of disappointment.

"What's up?"

"Nothing. Are you going to the prom tomorrow night? "He showed me turning his block in my direction for me to read.

"Are you sure? No, I don't think so. "I answer, writing on the back of the same paper sheet.

"ok..we broke up, but don't worry about me, ok? And go please? I will go, but only if you are." He gave a small smile to show me the last response before everything in his room is closed and turned off again.

       I smiled thinking that this could be finally my opportunity. Why would I have to be waiting for him to get back to her or another heartless girl like her? Why would I have to see him heartbroken after discovering that this was not his ideal girl once again? Why would I had to be waiting for someone to help me, when I knew perfectly well what to do? I think I have the courage to finally tell him what I never said all these years, despite knowing that if I am not accepted I will damage our friendship forever, but it's always better then to be in dark always thinking "what if ..".

        I tore two pages of my pad and wrote in a note to myself with everything I would need for the night of the prom and of course a message that I was never able to leave him.

        The next morning I woke up and saw the note I wrote yesterday, I jumped out of bed and prepared on the bed the things that I already had that could be good to use and after seeing that I had nothing to wear, because once again it was not my style to be dressed like I was going to a party everyday, I finish my tasks of any normal day and decided to go to the shopping center.

          In the shops the ladies who were indicated to help the clients showed me dresses with various patterns and colors imaginable, and when I was about to give up on the whole idea, I saw a store that I had not noticed that existed until now.

           I went with the hope of someone giving me tips for this madness that still could be held today and in the end I was really lucky, one of the girls around my age understood what was suited to my taste depending on what I was also willing to pay and I she didn't let my vote of confidence on her skills badly.

          The dress was absolutely gorgeous in my view, simple, white, and without much cleavage or accessories attached.

          I bought it, the girl also showed me some shoes on sale more or less suited to the same style and  gave me a few more tips, so that I could avoid being a total laughing stock among all those people tonight.

          I quickly got home again and after I had my lunch I got my plan to work.

          With the help of my mother who didn't had gone to work, because she was on her well deserved holidays, I got my makeup done, I did a simple hair updo and dressed in time to still give a final touches to the result of our work.

           I grabbed a little cream colored clutch, that I always use in weddings or baptisms and putting the second paper sheet into it, I leave my house with my mother that was giving me a ride to school.

           I look at her while releasing a deep sigh and getting out of the car clutching the little purse with all my strength to keep myself composed and keeping me from losing all the courage I got in so few days, I went through the main door that was decorated with blue and white balloons, some bright ribbons and a long signboard with the school years of the finalists.

           I walk without even looking at the photographer who called me so I could have a remembrance of what was supposed to be a celebration that was going to mark my life and I continued on my way feeling the sound of music that some colleagues and students thought it was fashionable on my feet and in my ears that was starting to sound more like a buzz since it was becoming so loud.

           I gasped to see the main staircase just in front of me and giving baby steps to the door I lifted my head and finally got full of fear that all they would start to laugh, which most often occurred.

           But unbelievably nothing happened, the girls looked at me with open mouths whispering among themselves as I had changed over one night, the boys looked me up and down or did not care, because they were with their partners and the guy I put on a pedestal smiles excitedly, seeing that I actually had the courage to appear.

           When he starts walking in my direction, his ex-girlfriend hugs him and tries to kiss him again, I turned around trying to avoid breaking my heart and started to walk slowly to the exit, until he called me.

"What do you want?" I ask in a breaking voice, as the tears were almost coming out.

"Didn't I said I would just be here, if you did the same?"

"Huh?"

"Turn around again, look at me."

             As I turn to him the girl was gone and he had a little message in a paper sheet, that I would say that I recognized from somewhere, letting the tears finally fall, but this time of happiness I removed my own message from my purse and  showed him.

"I love you" I ran into his arms and kissed him, making all our colleagues cheer, seeing that an happy ending was achieved.

             When I separated  my lips of his own, I asked why he never said that he loved me too.

"For the same reason as you I think, I didn't want to spoil our good friendship."

"Yes, but for great reasons like this, it is worth risking everything." I confess and got closer to his face again for another sweet kiss.

 

 

 

A.N.: For the ones who didn't get it, he was the one to break up with his ex, since he wanted to confess to you in the prom. :3