Wanting

The Art....(Heebum the cat)

There was a time I had accidentally stepped on the remote, causing it to change to the Animal Planet channel. Coincidentally, there was a documentary on cats in Egypt being featured. Heechul was practicing a routine for a competition with some fast paced music in one room and Kibum was reading a book in their bedroom. They liked to keep the TV on for me so I wasn’t bored when they did their things separately. They didn’t know I changed the channel by accident, but I was glad I did.

What the narrator was saying was something about how the Egyptians worshipped their cats. During a war with the Persians, they knew that the Egyptians loved cats and kidnapped (catnapped?) as many as they could and let them run free on the battlefield, causing the Egyptians to surrender. The Egyptians didn’t want to hurt their deities.

When death came to them, the Egyptians mummified their feline friends and placed mice in the tombs of the cats. It was a sort of a sacrifice to the cats that they loved so much. The owners of the cat mourned deeply and shaved their eyebrows. I thought that was a good thing, it meant that we weren’t treated just as pets, but as family members. More so than family, we were worshipped. That piqued my interests, and I changed what I wanted to be in my afterlife.

I really want to be a human now. I want opposable thumbs. I want to be able to pick things up without anyone’s help. I want to eat different foods, even though Heechul and Kibum changed my food a few times. All those dinners that the couple had had, looked really delicious and smelt great, and I was tired of eating the dry kibbles while they ate steak or noodles. I want to go outside and explore freely. I want to do the things I can’t do now. I mainly want to be free. Yes, I’m glad they chose me, and I know they love me, but I don’t want to be restricted in the house just because of what I am.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...this is the first chapter. How is it? Even though it's really short. I reread this so many times, and I even got my mom(who is a really picky editor person, even though that isn't her real job) to help me with grammar so it's a little better than the first draft. I hope, (not gonna promise, those things are stupid), that all the rest of the chapters are going to be waaaaay longer. I'm not a 'history of cats' expert, so don't expect much. Let me know if you see anything that could be changed, and I hope you enjoy this story and anticipate the next chapters.

until next time,

~blazensaddles