Plug and Play

Man-made

 

 

Year: 2023

Location: Seoul, South Korea

 

The government’s ambitious plan of putting robots into society has been achieved. Morals have been changed and the influx of androids has greatly changed our way of living. Due to the advancements of robotic technology, the success of artificial intelligence was eminent. The overall standard of living improved, medical breakthroughs were introduced curing even the rarest illnesses and extending human life span is finally reaching its final steps.

Although tapped as the world’s most dangerous idea, these artificial life forms are now all over the entire country doing things to aid us humans with our daily lives. Life has been better… but not for everyone.

Welcome to the Robotic Era.

 


 

 

“I hate that I’m missing you right now. I wish I’m right beside you…” He whispered calmly, his phone held in between his cheek and shoulder as he began doing his final preparations. Spring 2016, the final leg of their third world tour has finally come signalling their last performance as a group before they finally retire. Yes, Big Bang has finally decided to lie low after much success in the music industry. They have already reached the peak of their careers and are now ready to settle down with the promise of their unending brotherhood remaining intact. Top pursuing his career as an actor, Daesung doing theatre, Seungri going solo and pushing for Japan, Taeyang finally enjoying his time with his first girlfriend and his very own dance studio and Jiyong finally deciding to remain as a producer and tying the knot with his lady love, Bom Park.

“Well then do what you gotta do and hurry back. I’ll be waiting and you know that.” Her chuckle reverberated through the speaker and a smile curled up from his lips. How long has it been? Four years? Four wonderful years being with this superb woman and Jiyong can’t even believe he’s marrying her at last.  It all seemed so surreal. He wanted to hurry back and take the earliest flight just to be with her but that would have to wait until their performance ends.

“One last leg and we’ll finally be together. I can’t wait to marry you, Bom. Are you wearing it right now?”

“Wearing what?”

“The ring.”

“Of course. I wear it all the time. Why did you ask?”

“To remind you of your future husband, of course. And oh, I have a present for you when I get back. Now be good, Mrs. Kwon, I’ll call you as soon as we’re done.”

 


 

 

Diamond Robotics

Project Android 2023

Bom walked up the concrete steps heading to the building’s futuristic architecture. The glass door automatically opening as soon as she stepped towards the entrance, the hall barely filled with any décor, comfortable couches or a grand piano to serenade visitors as they wait. It was basically a hall with a giant screen and a glass concierge where an android was propped and programmed to welcome incoming guests. Gone were the warm smiles that greet you once you walk in. Gone were the days when actual humans shuffled around with their busy feets.

Her face that used to glow and the supple skin that exuded youth was now nothing but pale and dull. Her once bubbly aura was now clouded with angst and loneliness. The soft melody that once soothed our ears has now become mute. She was living just like everyone else… but deep down, she felt like she was dead a long time ago.

“Please register your name.” The monotone voice commanded as she neared the desk.

“Bom Lee Park.”

“Please enter social security number.”

She pushed multiple pins and after confirmation, a voice over was prompted directing her to her scheduled appointment leading to the second floor. With the sound of nothing else but her clacking heels, she pushed the number 2 on the touch screen allowing the titanium elevator to move up and lead her nearer to her destination.

 


 

 

Newsflash: Jeju Air private jet 114 has crashed and went into flames this morning enroute to Incheon. It is with deep regret to announce that the leader of the famous group Big Bang, Kwon Jiyong, has passed away along with the four casualties in the said flight. The other members of the band were said to have taken a different flight that arrived safely to Incheon Airport yesterday, seven in the morning, local time. Unfortunately, Kwon Jiyong was left to take the latter flight for some personal reasons leaving him to take the disastrous flight. Investigations are being made and the coast guards are still in search for possible survivors as of this moment. Korea shall mourn for the loss of one great talent. This has been Lee Eun Mi, reporting for Arirang News.

He said he would call. But he never did. Bom prayed hard and waited for any sign of him but all hopes went down the drain once she saw the rest of Big Bang right at her doorstep one gloomy morning sans Jiyong.

“What do you mean he’s dead? Jiyong’s not dead. He can’t be. He promised he’d come back.”

“Noona, he’s not coming back.”

“Don’t you ing mess with me right now, Dong Youngbae. He just had a delayed flight, that’s all. Now stop spewing nonsense because I’m not buying any of it.”

“Bom, stop it. He’s gone.” The look of regret was all over TOP’s face and the rest of Big Bang stood in silence, heads hung low as faint sobs escaped Bom’s quivering lips. Seungri slumped down on the cement, hands to his face as tears started to trickle down, Daesung kept still and stood behind Youngbae who was now desperately fighting the tears that were about to come out.

“Take this. This was recovered from the remains.” TOP handed Bom a parcel and with shaking hands, she opened it and found an item that looked so familiar. She picks it up and studies it mid air and suddenly, the tears began to flow uncontrollably upon recognition. It was his. It was the Fleur de Lys charm necklace that Jiyong loved to wear. Like a lucky charm, he used to say. But then again, luck must not be on his side that one fateful day. Marry me, Bom Park. You either marry me or you’ll end up missing the opportunity of being with the most sought after bachelor in the history of Seoul! His voice ringed in her ear over and over until she could not take it anymore. All of this seemed to be so unreal. If he really is dead, then why did it feel like he’s always around?

 

 


 

 

“Good day, Ms. Park.” Finally, a human—she thought. Everything else in this building was computerized; even the simple opening of the door need not exert human effort. Walking into the spacious room filled with cords, beeping monitors and a huge screen displaying matrix, the man gestured her to take the seat that was provided in the middle of the room. As soon as she made herself comfortable, a keyboard popped up and the huge screen read: Project Android 2023.

A robotic female voice sent her jumping into her knees only to realize she was alone in the room once more. Lights were dimmed and the only thing illuminating the cold room was the giant screen and a glass tube encasing what looked like a plugged dummy. She felt eerie but upon hearing the same robotic voice, she took a deep breath and began the procedure.

Please enter owner’s name

Please enter language

Enter age

Enter ideal profile

Save changes? The voice queried before she pressed ‘OK’.

The next step involved something much more personal causing her to reach for her purse to extract her phone. With a flick of a finger, the data was sent and the screen displayed the forwarded image.

Please press OK to proceed with customization, the voice commanded. Bom did what was told and with trembling hands, the encoding was completed.

 

 


 

 

“You can’t be like this forever, noona.” Youngbae materialized before her as she nestled the flowers beside his grave. With the city of Seoul overlooking the hill, she sat on the freshly cut grass and traced the embossed letters:

Kwon Jiyong (1988-2016)

Your memories shall remain in our hearts forever.

 

Shoving the dried flowers that were once offered by fans over his grave, Bom wept as thoughts of him began pouring in. “They still love him despite the fact that he’s gone…” She murmured. The fans never really left Jiyong. They remained loyal to him, visiting him ever so often and sending flowers, letters and gifts to his grave.

“It’s been a year now, noona. Let it go. Jiyong might be cursing us for letting you live like this.” Youngbae jested, hoping to lighten the mood despite the gloomy sky clouding over them. In silence she reminisced the not so distant past they shared and the memories they created over the years. In silence, she blamed him for stealing her heart and taking it away with him leaving her hollow and the wolrd around her grey and senseless. In silence, she wept over the love and life that could have been.

“I promise you, I’ll be right here, Jiyong. My love has never changed.”

 

 


 

 

Only the beeping sounds of machines could be heard. She sat there motionless with thoughts berating her and whirling inside her head. She didn’t know if this was the best plan or if it was a good idea to begin with. But she was desperate and she couldn’t even begin to battle with her reasoning. The devastation that has sent her to oblivion has ripped away many years that could’ve been for the better. The haunting memories never left her for one second leaving her with no choice. She felt the need to do something about it.

Would you like this version to be reproduced?

She quickly pressed ‘no’ leading her to the final step of the procedure. She watched the screen as the bar moved from left to right, filling it half way.

Locking system, saving memories, saving traits…

 

The more the bar fills, the more nervous she gets. What if it turns out differently? What if people judge me for it?

 

Loading. 90% complete…

 

With one last intake of breath, she heard the glass capsule release the air encased within causing her to shiver as it touches her skin. The light inside was causing her to squint, barely recognizing the silhouette inside. She walks closer, teeth sinking onto her lower lip as every step made her closer to the capsule. She inched her hand towards the plugged dummy, the cold artificial skin against her warmth gave her mixed sensations.

It has been done.

 

Downloading successful.

Android Model181- Dragon Series, Kwon Jiyong. 

Customized System for Ms. Bom Park complete. Please remove plug and press power.

Thank you for choosing Diamond Robotics. Goodbye.

 

 


 

And the tears come streaming down your face

When you lose something you can't replace

When you love someone but it goes to waste

Could it be worse?

- Fix You, Coldplay

 

A/N

Too weird for your taste? I dunno, I felt that way too. 

I'd love to hear from you, if that isn't too much to ask.

Thanks for reading, appreciate it!