One Shot

Is it a gift or a curse?

 

          One fine morning, Kai and his friends entered the school gates. It surprised them to see all the girls waiting for them, squealing while holding gifts. “What the—“Kai rolled his eyes which gave the girls a cold yet cool appeal and made them squeal for more. “Kai oppa, please accept these chocolates, I made them for you!” One brave girl handed the box of chocolates to Kai. “No.” Kai shoved the girl’s hand in front of him and continued to walk.

Liar! You don’t really like me, . You just want me because I’m famous. Pft! I’m not stupid. I can read your mind, .

          The others followed Kai and walked away, except for one. Byun Baekhyun patted the girl’s shoulder and took the chocolates “I don’t want these lovely chocolates to be a waste. Would you mind? I’ll eat it well.” Then he flashed a killer smile and winked at the girl. Of course, the girl couldn’t say no. Eventually, Beakhyun bowed to the girl and went off to catch up to his friends. All the fan girls of Baekhyun screamed loud and rushed to the lucky girl. They all envy her.

           “You’re greasy, man!” Kyungsoo told baekhyun which made all of them to burst into laughter. “As usual, Baekhyun being his greasy self” Chanyeol added. “No, I’m not!” Baekhyun exclaimed. With that statement, all of them cocked an eyebrow to Baek. “Who are you kidding bacon? Everyone knows you are one greasy man.” Suho stated the fact and made all of them chuckle except of course, for the usual serious Kai.

           “Here’s my first class, guys. I’ll be going now” Kai coldly said while securing his back pack on his right arm. “Wait for me! We have the thame clath thcedule, you know?” Sehun ran after Kai and waved goodbye to the others. “thee you later guyth!” Sehun smiled and exaggerated his wave. How childish!~ the others thought.

 

           “Good morning, Kai! Good morning, Sehun” You brightly said even though you are a total stranger to them. Being the class president, you thought that you must develop your bond with each and every student in your class. “Good morning - _________ ah” Sehun sweetly replied.

           All of you sat down in their places and kept their mouth shut when your professor came in and announced something. Kai glued his gaze to you and you became aware of it. You faced Kai and gave him an unexpected wide smile. You mouthed “Annyeong!~” and then you waved. His eyes widen to see you smile. He felt a bit awkward and decided to shift his gaze to the professor. She’s really weird. But she’s different.

            The bell rang signalling break time. All your classmates went to the cafeteria already. You went straight to Kai’s place and offered him to eat with you. Why me? Kai thought as he cocked an eyebrow.  “Please!” You childishly pouted. For some weird reason, Kai was convinced and ate with you at the school’s garden. He actually likes it when you pout.

           “Are we even allowed to be here?” Kai spoke while both his hands placed at the back of his neck, looking cool. “Of course! My dad requested this place especially for me.” You shamelessly winked at him. What a brat. Kai thought.  “You think I’m some kind of spoiled brat, huh?” You bluntly told him. Kai’s eyes flustered open and thought... She can read minds too? Kai hesitantly tried to read her mind but it shocked him to see himself failing the attempt. “Why can’t I—“Kai immediately shut his mouth when he realized he was speaking his thoughts too loud. “What?” You curiously asked. “Nothing”

 

          You ate happily with him under the shade of the tree and didn’t notice the time. The fresh air and the silence led you to fall asleep. You’re not aware that your head was already resting on Kai’s broad and muscular shoulders. He is awake yet he let it be that way. In fact, he loves it.

         You immediately opened your eyes by the second you heard the bell rang. You just ignored the fact that you slept on his shoulders. That, for you, is a normal act of friendship but for Kai, It was a little different. His heart literally skipped a beat by the time your head touched his shoulders, and he seems to like it. “Let’s go, lunch buddy?” You offered your hand for help but he ignored it and stood up by himself instead, dusting his pants.

          You and Kai walked your way back to the class. It took you a minute to go back. By the time, you and Kai entered the room, the students started to whisper things, you noticed it and you’re aware that all they were speaking of is about the two of you. You just ignored it and so did Kai.

 

         Kai went home still bothered by what he just experienced. He walked coolly with his hands on his pockets but his mind was roaming out of the world. How in the world did she block my...? Is she a mind reader too? So I’m not alone? Or am I just tired and weary that’s why I can’t perform my abilities well enough? Those questions kept shattering on his mind until he gave up. “Oh! Why bother thinking of that? I’ll just try doing it again tomorrow”

 

           The following day, your professor informed all of you that you’ll have your exams next month. It is an early announcement for them to prepare well and hard for the upcoming exams. All of them frowned except you. As expected, you became very excited to take the exams. It’s your specialty – ACADEMICS. “Mr. Kim Jong-In, your grades seems to be declining, It is indeed in a bad terms. To help you out, I asked Ms. _________ to help you.” The professor said. “She’ll be your tutor for now”

         You shifted your gaze to the surprised Kai and mouthed “Fighting!~” with gesturing two thumbs up. Kai didn’t notice that his surprised and dismayed expression was slowly turning into a perfect smile by the time he saw you giving him encouragement. You were surprised by that sudden change of expression but you wanted him to stay like that and so you didn’t let him notice that he was smiling so brightly. Unfortunately, he began noticing it and went back to his cold expression again.

          It was dismissal already when you went to Kai’s seat and told him to hurry up. “Why?” He cocked an eyebrow. “We’ll start our review now.” You said. “What? Who told you to –“He was interrupted when you suddenly held his hand and dragged him. Although Kai has his strength to insist and stop you from dragging him, He just went with the flow. She’s holding my hand. Why do I like it? I should be shoving her hand by this time. But I can’t.

         You both hopped in to your limousine that was already waiting in the school gates. “Madam, where will I take you?” Your driver asked. “Oh! Send us in his house, Please. He’s Kim Jong-In” You said. Kai’s eyes shot open and became really curious into how would your driver know his house. You noticed his curiosity and so you began explaining along with the ride.

        Upon arriving into Kai’s house, the two of you decided to send yourself inside. But before entering, you informed your driver to fetch you at 8. “Eight O’clock?” Kai said. “Yup! Do you want to pass or not?” You bluntly asked him. “pfft.” He sighed in agreement.

        A smile kept in Kai’s face as he spends all his time looking at your perfect face. She’s really cute He thought. He found himself playing with your soft, silky hair. He seems to enjoy doing that. “Yah! Are you listening to me?” You snapped him from his daze. “Oh! Yes. Yes.” Kai stuttered and immediately took his hand off your hair. You chuckled seeing him panicking.

       You studied and studied until it was 8. A beep coming from your car reached your senses signalling for you to go home already. “Oh! I’ll be going now” You turned your back at him and went off. But before you could walk further, He ran after you and out of the blue, held your hand and spun you around facing him.

        “Waeyo?” You became nervous due to his sudden actions and you felt goose bumps all over your body when you felt his hot breathing touched your bare skin as he draws himself closer to you. “Nothing.” Kai was really confused and didn’t know why we did such actions. He eventually let go of your hand and scratched the back of his nape. “See you tomorrow at school, Take care and eat well.” He told you. A burst of laughter suddenly came out from you. It’s really weird for you to hear him saying such sweet things. On top of that, you told him “We have no classes tomorrow remember? Saturday”

       “Oh. I forgot.”Kai deflated his shoulders upon realizing it. You noticed his disappointment which was written all over his face. “Do you want me to tutor you again? I’m free tomorrow’’ You asked him expecting him to say yes. And your wish was granted. He shyly nodded in response. “I’ll come here by 12, okay? Prepare me foods for lunch arasso?” You joked. “Okay!” He brightly said.

 

        The next day, Kai woke up early to clean the house and prepare food for lunch. He was too excited that he finished his cooking really early. Why am I preparing too much for her? Why do I enjoy being with her when in fact, I hate girls. Why am I being so sweet all of a sudden when I am with her? What is happening to me? He thought. But what is bothering him most is that why can’t he read her mind. He took all his chances and time to read her but he would always end up failing.

         A sudden ring from the phone stopped him from thinking. It’s Chanyeol on the caller ID. “Yoboseyo?” He said. “You’re in love, Kai” Kai’s eyes popped open when he heard that statement. “What?” he heard giggles from the other line and exclaimed. “DON’T FOOL AROUND WITH ME JERK!” Suho came in and grabbed the phone from Chanyeol, to the rescue as usual. “Are you free today? Let’s hang out at my place!” Suho offered. But without hesitation, Kai rejected him. “I’m busy” then he hang up.

        “Oh! You don’t have to. You can hang out with your friends. Let’s just study tomorrow” You said as you over heard their conversation. Kai heard your familiar voice and turned to face your gaze. “Oh! You’re here already! No, I want to study today” He said. “Are you sure? I’m not forcing you to study that hard. It’s okay with me. We can just study some other time” You told him but he ignored it and offered you a seat at the dining table. “I hope you’re hungry” He said with a smile. “Whoa! It was only a joke when I told you to prepare –“He didn’t let you finish your statement and instead told you to just eat already. “I’m hungry” he giggled.

        You ate with him and had a great time chatting. You both finished your lunch and went up stairs to start your review. You were struck by this picture posted on the wall. You stopped for a while and stared at it closely. Kai saw your eyes really amused on what you’re seeing. He walked towards you and then you spoke “Is this your family?” you asked him. And he nodded. “Whoa! You’re so cute when you were little” You told him. “How about now? Am I still cute?” he pouted. In response, you nodded and genuinely smiled. “You are more handsome when you smile, you know? Keep smiling!” You said.

Why am I saying these stupid things? I should be cold to her. Am I still cute? What the hell. Who am I kidding?

         You asked him where his parents are and in that instant, his smiling face disappeared. “They are gone” He said. “Gone? Are they in other countries?” You didn’t get it at first but you saw his face turned pale and that’s when you realized that his parent passed away. “Oh! How stupid am I to ask that. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to” You apologized. “Its okay” He spoke slowly. “Do you want to share something to me? It would make you feel better if you’d share it to others, you know?” He started sharing to you and that made him feel a lot better. You became a shoulder to cry on.

         His parents died in a car accident. He was still four when they passed away. It has been rough for him to keep his life going. His parents insured him enough money before hand. That is why he can still study at a great school. Also, the school have been supporting him for the past years and kept him as a varsity player for soccer. He really wanted to achieve high grades so that his scholarship won’t be a waste and also to make his parents proud, seeing him from above.

 

        You’ve been tutoring him almost every day. It has been a month since you started tutoring him and the exams are getting nearer and nearer. That time came and the most awaited results flashed in front of him. He passed. He thanked you so much considering you were the reason that he got high grades. Although, he still wanted you to tutor him. His friends began wondering his every day disappearance since you started tutoring him.

       “I don’t understand this, and that. Please explain this to me.” Even though exams are over, Kai still wanted you to tutor him. He already knows and gets the topic but he still begged you to explain it further. He was too afraid that you will no longer tutor him, he was afraid to be alone again. You changed him in a way that his cold attitude transformed into a more cheerful and optimistic one. He thanked you for that.

 

       Until one day, “Hey! I would like you to meet my best friend, ____________.” Kai introduced you to his friends all of a sudden. “Best friend? I thought I was your best friend?” Chanyeol said. Kai cocked an eye brow to Chanyeol and mouthed “Shut up” You all ended up laughing. “Hello __________! Beakhyun imnida. Your eyes are so pretty, you know that?” Baekhyun went beside you and sneaked his arms around your waist. “Yah! Bacon, stop it! Kai is getting mad already.” D.O said. They all looked at Kai’s burning eyes gazing Baekhyun. “Oh my, someone’s getting jealous.” Beakhyun teased kai but eventually took off his arms around you.

 

        Your bond with Kai began developing even more. You became more open with each other and you became really close that you would always sleep with him at the garden resting your head at his lap when you have free time. Students began noticing your closeness but because both of you were very much loved by the whole student buddy, they accepted it. All girls would envy you and all guys would be jealous of Kai.

 

       Time flies so fast, one year had already passed and both of you are still together. This time, you were much closer. You became really sweet with each other and even gave each other sweet names. He would call you his puppy because he told you that you are cute as a puppy and a puppy or a dog is the man’s best friend. And basically, the one he can cuddle nonstop. While you on the other hand, would call him Choco because of his sweetness and his luscious lips.

 

         A time came when he asked you how much you value your privacy, confidential thoughts and feelings. “I value them a lot. Privacy for me is really important for a person to have. Why are you asking this all of a sudden?” You asked him. “Nothing. What do you think about trust?” He seriously asked you. “Trust?” You paused for a moment. “Do you believe in mind readers?” He asked you again. “Mind readers? Others believe that it not real. But, I think it can be true. Nothing is impossible, right?” you told him. “Would you believe if someone would tell you that they are mind readers?” he asked. “Maybe” you told him.

       “My Puppy, I can read minds. I can control them too” He confessed to you. “What? Is this a joke or what?” You became confused all of a sudden. “You don’t believe me, don’t you?” he felt disappointed. “No! It’s not like that. I just... I couldn’t...” You stuttered and didn’t know which word to put. “I can prove it to you. You see that girl? I can make her kneel down in front of me for no reason at all” he said and of course, he made the girl kneel before him without saying a word. “Hey! Stop it! Okay okay! I believe you!” you told him.

       You were blown away by that and you asked Kai to teach you how to do that, but he kept on refusing. You accepted his ability like it’s normal but you value your privacy that you asked him one favour. “Please never read my mind” you told him. “I won’t. I would never. I promise. In fact, I can’t read you mind, - ______ ah.” He told you the truth. “You can’t read my mind?” you became a bit confused. “Yes. I thought at first that maybe, maybe you would now the reason for it and somehow, you could help me figure things out” He told you honestly.

 

       You were stunned by that weirdness. He can’t read my mind? You thought. You even thought of possible answers for this but you couldn’t find an excuse. Although it may look insignificant, you still can’t avoid thinking about it. You searched the internet hoping to gain some clues for solving this but you couldn’t find any. You didn’t lose hope and you realized something. What if we consult a guru? Maybe they know the answer.

       You went with your instincts and went off with Kai to find the well known guru. It was a journey to find the guru’s place. It was so far and it was much hidden. Finally, you arrived to the place. But before you could even say a word, the guru spoke “I know why you’re here” Both of you widen your eyes as you look at each other in shock. “Sit down” the guru said. “Why can’t I-“ Kai was interrupted by the guru.

 

“She has the ability to make people love her by just looking at them. Now, your power and hers’ are in conflict. In this case, your powers are blocked or are in no use since you were already affected or you are a victim of her power.

It means, all of this, whatever feelings you have for her, it is not real.

 So think again, Young ones. These extraordinary abilities,

 Is it a gift or a curse?”

 

        Kai noticed your sudden expression. He led you the way out of the place and went in the car. As the driver drove you both home, Kai started the conversation “Puppy ah, are you okay? Don’t mind what the lady told us earlier. It’s not true.” Kai cupped your cheeks, gently bringing your gaze into his. “It is true, Kai” You slowly took off his hands on your cheeks, avoiding his eyes. “Now, I don’t know who truly love me. I’m confused. How would I know if they truly like me?” You spoke.

         “I can help you. I could read people’s minds remember?” Kai stated. “Yeah sure. But you’re just a mind reader, Kai. Nothing else. You can read their minds but you can’t read their heart. That’s a limitation to your power.” You made him realize. Kai paused momentarily. “And, about those feelings the guru mentioned earlier? What feelings?” You gave him a confused look. “Feelings?” Kai stuttered and didn’t know what to answer. You nodded. “Oh. That’s nothing” Kai said avoiding your gaze.

          “You’re lying. Kai, you are the only one I can trust now. Please promise me, you won’t lie.” You told him as you made him look into your gaze. Your gaze and Kai’s locked together for a moment. Kai sighed and gave up. His conscience bothered him so much. He wanted to tell you his real feelings but he was afraid that you might treat him differently.

           He took some courage and spoke “I Love You, - _______” Your eyes shot open when you heard his confession. You didn’t expect it at all. You’ve lost for words and just kept silent. “You heard it right. I love you. I’ve been keeping my feelings for a long time. I love you, -________. I really do.” He paused for awhile and then spoke again. This time, his tone became more brave but really sincere. “I love you. I would be beyond happy if you’d allow me to be your boyfriend.” And then you froze but a smile crept on your lips when you heard his proposal.

            You accepted it wholeheartedly. You admitted yourself that you liked him too. You really love him but you were afraid that he doesn’t really like you. Like, you think that his feelings are fake because of your power. Months have passed; you and Kai were still standing strong together and continued loving each other. It seems like a happy ending for both of you.

 

             By sometime, you became a bit paranoid about what others think of you. If they really like you or not. You became too suspicious of people around you. It became a burden to you since you were afraid that it’s only because of your power which made them like you. You didn’t know whom to trust and whom to avoid. But with Kai, you were worry free. He helped you every minute and every second of the day for you to cope up with your situation. Eventually, you accepted your ability and managed the consequences ahead.

 

             Until one day, Kai became overly attached to you. Although it is normal for a couple to get attached with each other, the experiences you were having are a bit exaggerated. Yes, He became so sweet, no, too sweet to you to the extent of being really obsessive. He became over protective and became aggressive. He forgot about his friends and seems like all he see is you. He would knock out all guys that will get near you and with that sudden change, you became worried.  It became a burden to you.

             You slap his cheeks, though it wasn’t hard enough, you still made him feel the pain. He was shocked with your sudden act and spoke “What was that for?!” He raised his voice a bit and it scared you. You were taken a back and you experienced shivers from your spine. “Beakhyun is in the hospital. What did you do to him?!” You exclaimed. “He deserves it. He’s flirting with you! I’m afraid you’ll leave me for him. I had to do it!” He noticed your fright and it hit him “I’m so sorry, - ________.” He stepped closer to you, his eyes full of regret. You became more nervous when you stepped back and felt the wall was already behind you. You started shaking terribly and panicked. You ran to escape but he caught your hand on the act.

           He grabbed your hand and pushed you into the wall. He held a tight grip on your hand and cornered you from the wall. Your protests are in no use since Kai is obviously much stronger than you. He made you face him which you hesitantly denied. You flustered your eyes close because of fright towards Kai. He made a brave move and locked his lips into yours. He deepened the kiss until you calmed down. The tension in you became solemn that you replied to his kiss.

          He let go of your hand and hugged your waist from the back bringing your bodies closer. It’s a bit odd but your hand unintentionally went in his neck locking the two of you together, pressing your lips even more. You were kissing passionately like you hadn’t kissed each other for a long time. He broke the kiss and stared at you. You opened your eyes and met with his gaze. “I love you, -______.” He told you with so much sincerity. “I love you too, Kai” you whispered as you rest on his chest, but it was still audible for him to hear. He kissed your head and embraced you tightly.

           He became a bit calm and you’re glad with that. But you still couldn’t forget what he had done to Baekhyun. Kai punched Baekhyun until he was bleeding, along with the bruises and marks left in his face. You were so worried that he might do the same to the others if they’ll get near you. Your heart and mind are battling out on what decision will you make. Am I going to end this relationship? Or will I let everyone suffer, including me and most specially, Kai.

 

           The following days, it seems like you were avoiding Kai. You would always leave your class early; you wouldn’t wait for him in dismissal and you would always say you’re busy even when you’re not. He was disturbed with your actions and it worried him so much. Why is she avoiding me?

 

            One day, he confronted you early in the morning in your classroom. He went to you and all the attention is focused on the both of you. “What seems to be the problem, - ________. “ He asked you calmly as he kisses your neck. “Problem? There is no problem, Kai” You maintained your composure and act coolly. “Then why are you avoiding me?” Kai bluntly asked. “I’m not avoiding you. I’m just too busy” You let alone his eyes. He’s not convinced with your reason. “I don’t like it when people lie to me.” He declared. You stayed silent as you walked out of the room.

 

              Whenever you will see Kai walking at the corridor, either he’s staring at the ground or he’s looking from a far, thinking deeply. He would always whisper to your ears the words “I love you” when he sees you. He would post sticky notes on your locker saying: “I love you.” “I’m so sorry” “Please forgive me” “Talk to me, please.” “I will miss you” He posted this in five consecutive days. He was so desperate to be with you again. Despite this, you still ignored him. You found yourself really confused and your heart and mind is about to explode, thinking of a decision.

 

              Your relationship with Kai became really shaky for the past few days and you don’t know what to do. You were studying at the school garden, feeling the peaceful atmosphere. The solemn ambience helped you think on your choices and decisions for your relationship with Kai. It’s all because of my stupid power! We shouldn’t have went to that guru and asked for the truth. We should’ve just let it be a secret. Because of this revelation of my power, everything is ruined. Me and Kai, Kai and his friends, EVERYTHING. Because of my power, he changed into a monster. This power is a curse!! I should end this at once. I will break up with him. No more conflicts, no more sufferings for both of us. This is the right thing to do.

 

              On the sixth day, He became silent and he didn’t attend class. He didn’t even post a note in your locker. You were about to tell him that you would end your relationship that day but since he was nowhere to be found, it was postponed. “Where could he be?” You were curious on where the hell is he. I don’t wanna waste time, I will tell him tomorrow. You thought. You were still afraid and didn’t know how to say it but you know deep inside, it is the right thing to do.

 

                The next day, all eyes of the students you passed by on the corridor was all in you. You noticed it and you felt a bit uneasy. One brave student approached you and spoke “I’m so sorry -_______.” Then she handed you flowers. The other students do the same. They went to you and gave you flowers. Why are they giving me these? You thought. You furrowed your eye brows and was about to ask but you were interrupted when Suho, together with D.O, Sehun and Chanyeol handed you something.  A letter? You opened it and started reading.

                                

 

 

                 You began shedding tears as you read Kai’s letter.  Suho pulled you into his embrace and patted your back. “Where did he went, Suho shi?” You asked him, stuttering. “Come with me” Suho told you. You gladly obliged and went with him. You rode a car and went to an unfamiliar location. “Where are we?” you curiously asked, still crying. “We are at my house.” He said. He led you to the inside of the house and tears unintentionally fell down your cheeks as you saw an unexpected scene, a burial. “He committed suicide yesterday, -________.” Suho informed you. With that, it hit you. His last note post in your locker says “I will miss you” It was a hint that he will do such thing and you didn’t even realize it.

           You still couldn’t absorb what had happen. After seeing his cold and dead body inside the coffin, you went to the side and sat down. Suho comforted you while you are still in pain. You regretted all the things in the past. I should’ve been there when he’s alone. I should’ve prevented him to commit suicide. I should’ve talked to him instead of avoiding him. I should have listened to his reason for doing that to Baekhyun. I should be the one who’ll make him happy. I should be by his side no matter what happen. I’m so stupid for not seeing this coming. I’m so stupid. Now, he’s gone. 

 

 

I doubt if my power is either a gift or a curse.

Is it really my power in which to blame?

NO. It is I who is to blame.

Why would I blame others?

When it is me.

I AM THE CURSE.