The Letter

The Letter (one-shot)
Please log in to read the full chapter

As I was walking home on a freezing afternoon, I passed by our grumpy neighbour’s house, Ms. Jung. She’s an old lady, who lives by herself but a personal nurse that her nephew assigned always comes every day checking out on her. Anyway, no one wanted to get near her since she was just really a grumpy grandma who wanted to live by herself. She’s very mean especially to kids. I remembered when my ball suddenly rolled in front of her yard, I tried to get it back, but I end up crying because she took it away from me. Then as I was growing up, I got really curious about what happened to Ms. Jung’s past life. I heard she used to be nice back then, but was still cold. Every day that I pass by her house, I wanted to ask her everything I wanted to know but never had the guts.... So that afternoon, I decided to stop in front of her house. I took out all of my guts and as I walk towards her door, I felt my heart thumping so fast. *knock, knock* No one was answering, I knocked once again. But still, no one answered the door. I called out her name, but she didn’t respond. I guess she’s not home. I held on to the doorknob and to my surprise the house wasn’t locked. I know it wasn’t a good thing coming into someone’s house without letting them know, but the time I got in I just couldn’t stop my footsteps entering the grumpy grandma’s house. So I let myself in, I scanned the house, searching for maybe clues. Until I reached her bedroom, I went inside. I found this crumpled letter that looked as if it had been written for years. I started to open the letters, hoping to find some clues. Then I saw the dateline--2009. The letter had been written almost fifty years ago. It was kind of a “Dear John” letter that told the recipient, whose name appeared to be Soojung, that the writer could not see her anymore for her father forbade her.


My forever loving Soojung...

I’m writing you a letter right now... To tell you that I can no longer see you anymore. My father knew about us, and forbade it. He told me if I wasn’t going to marry Taemin, he would let you be killed. And I don’t want that to happen. Those days that we used to spend together, the way we kiss, the way we touch each other, those were the best times of my life. I know I’m a coward right now... I still don’t know what to do. But one thing for sure, you’ll always be in my heart Jung Soojung. I will soon find a way back in this love of ours. I will always love you. I love you so much, Jjung. So much that I have to let you go... Let’s meet soon!

Your Forever Hubby,
Choi Jinri.

P.S. I know this letter thingy is kinda old-fashioned. 

I laughed at the last part. But it was a beautiful letter. Soojung? Who could that be? Why’s the letter in Ms. Krystal Jung’s house? Wait, Jung? Jung Soojung, Krystal Jung... Wait, what? -- Suddenly, I heard the front door opened and was banged closed. My heart started thumping very fast again; I tried putting back the letter to where it was placed. But I failed as it flew away just outside Ms. Jung’s bedroom. I rushed out, and then I saw Ms. Jung standing in front with her cold look.

“What are you doing inside my house?” She asked angrily.
“I...I...I...was...just...”
“What is that you are holding?” She was asking about the letter I was holding.
“Oh...This...It’s...Nothing..” I smiled crookedly.
“Give it to me.” She stared deeply with her cold eyes at me.
I gave it to her. “Ms. Jung, about that... I’m....really sorry. I didn’t mean---“Without finishing my statement, she burst out crying. She went down with her knees bent and was holding tight on the letter.
“Ms. Jung...” I bravely uttered her name.
“Kid...” She took my hand. “Come on, I’ll show you something...” She pulled me and showed me the ball I owned long years ago, the ball which she took from me when I was still a kid. “Here.” She said as she gave back my ball. “I know it isn’t as the same as before. But here, just take it. And I’m sorry for taking it from you...”
“Ms. Jung? Can I ask you a question?” I bravely asked her since I wasn’t feeling nervous at that time anymore.
“Sure, what is it?”
“I...read the letter. And I’m just wondering...If, I mean what—“
“We were only 15 year old teenage girls. She was Choi Jinri. The only person whom I loved...”


Soojung’s POV

I was wandering off the streets. I see couples everywhere, giggling, laughing together, and just happy with each other. I didn’t care before; I never envied them nor wanted to have one also. I was still young and not yet ready to fall in love... But not until I met her, Choi Jinri. The school’s “Madonna”, she was just so beautiful, she had this pretty eye smile when she smiles and the way she laughs makes my heart weak. I’m basically from San Francisco, California. But both my parents are Koreans, so my parents along with my sister decided to go back to Korea. Well the thing is, I get to go to a school where I had my first love... the principal of the school was talking to me in his office.

“Ms. Jung, welcome to our school. I hope you will enjoy your stay here and learn many things. I have assigned the president of our student body to show you around the campus.”
“Thank you, Mr. Gu.” I bowed to him to show my respect and he guided me outside his office. He pointed out a specific room where I will see the one who’s going to tour me around the campus.
*eeeeekkk* the door made noises as I open the door to the room. As I entered I saw a girl with a pretty face, sitting beside the window and looking outside, the rays of the sun was hitting her milky white skin.
“Oh, annyeong haseyo. You must be Jung Soojung. I’m Choi Jinri by the way, I’ll be touring you around the school. Nice to meet you!” She bowed gracefully in front of me.
I was somewhat mesmerized, I just stood there looking at her. I didn’t know what to do.
“Excuse me?” She waved her hand close to my face.
“Sorry, I was just zoning out.” I lied, because I couldn’t tell her what I just felt.


“What happened next, Ms. Jung?” I asked as I was taking a sip of the milk Ms. Jung offered me.
“Well, we were always together.... We’d become like best friends....”


“Hey Soojung!” The girl with her hair all tied up approached me and hugged me from the back. “What should we do today? Wanna get some ice cream?”
“I don’t know... Just hang out with your Taemin...” I rolled my eyes at her.
“Ooh... My best friend’s being jelly...” She poked my nose.
“I. Am. Not.” I crossed my arms and stared at her.
“You know I don’t love him... He’s just someone my dad wants me to date. We’re not official.”
“You better not be.” I whispered to myself.
“What’s that?”
“Nothing... Just good to hear that, he’s not even that handsome for someone pretty like you.”
Jinri blushed. “Aigoo... Come on then, I’ll treat you to the ice cream store!”
After we bought our ice creams, we went strolling at the mall. We bought each other best friend gifts, more of a couple stuffs. We walked hand in hand at the park, eating our hot dogs. We rode scary rides at the amusement park and went to see a movie. And we just spend the day together not thinking of any problems. 


“But just then... I heard she was going to get married with Taemin after we graduate.”


February 13, 2009
“What the hell, Jinri?! You’re marrying him?”
“Jjung... I didn’t plan this. You know that. It was dad all along.”
“And you didn’t even do anything to stop it... You’re a coward Choi Jinri! You’re a coward!”
“I just—why are you even acting like this? Is it because you like him? You like Taemin? Or is it because you like me—“
“Yes! I like you. No, I love you Jinri.” Tears started to fall from my eyes. “I loved you since the first time I met you... I’ve been loving you all along and you... never noticed that.”
“Jjung... How? Why?”
“I know, you can never love me back. I’m just a girl. I’m just...your best friend.”
“I...I’m sorry...”
“No... Don’t be.”


“That was it, so I left...”
“What happened next?”
“I’ve been saying too much, kiddo. You go home now.”
“But Ms. Jung... I want to know what had happened between you two after it!”
“It’s getting late. Go home, that’s all I can tell you...”
“But... But, Ms. Jung. You didn’t even tell me the good part yet.”
“There’s no good part, kid.” She patted my head.
“I’m glad that the next time I’ll be passing by here, you won’t scare me anymore.” I laughed. “I better go then. I hope you find your love.”
“Thanks.” A tear dropped from Ms. Jung’s eye.

As she accompanied me outside her house, as I was getting far I saw the pain in her eyes. I can feel that she’s still waiting for this love to come back. So I wasn’t just satisfied with the whole happening, there must be a way back. So I planned on going to Korea and search for Krystal Jung’s slash Jung Soojung’s first love. I’m aiming for this two to be together once again!

As I have arrived at the Incheon International Airport, I immediately went to a hotel to stay in for about a week to resolve this mystery.
So I took the key to my room, and I got in the elevator.
“Woah there!” An old lady with loads of groceries in her hands tries to stop the doors from closing.
“Oh, ahjumma. Let me help you with those.” I spoke in fluent Korean which I learned from a Korean classmate before.
“Thank you.” She said back in Korean lending me the groceries. “We’re on the same floor. Come on and join me for a snack in my room. That’s my reward for you for helping me out with those groceries.”
“No, it’s fine.”
“Oh no no no. Come with me, you seem tired from a long flight, am I not right?”
Please log in to read the full chapter