Choi Seung Hyun

The Real Monster Unleashed [One-shot]

 

After being able to escape the laboratory that was ruined by an earthquake, Seung Hyun lived by himself, in undergrounds, abandoned buildings, wherever possible. He has learned to take control of his abilities though he still wants to be cured. Seung Hyun cannot forget what Mr. Yang has done to him; he has become like this because of that man. He was also very hurt when Hana gave up on him and left him to die in that laboratory. Seung Hyun now seeks for revenge against Hana and her father.

When Seung Hyun was ready, he looked for Hana and Mr. Yang. It was raining hard that day. Seung Hyun was wearing a jacket with the hood on his head. His hands were inside the pockets of his jacket. Seung Hyun goes to Hana and her father’s house. When he got there, he peeked through the gates and saw Hana getting out of the house. He concluded that she must be off to work. He can see Hana was happy. She was smiling as she was talking to her butler who was escorting her with an umbrella to the car.

It’s been a while Hana... Seems like you’re doing better since I’ve seen you last. You got prettier too… though you always looked beautiful in my eyes. You said, let us be together forever, no matter what happens. You said, let us be together when we’re happy and when we’re sad. But you left me Hana… you left me... Your existence has become an incurable illness for me. Everyone may look at me with judging eyes, but what really hurts is the fact that you have become a part of that ‘everyone’. Seung Hyun thought as he gripped his chest that seemed to hurt at the sight of Hana. When Hana got in the car, Seung Hyun left.

***

Hana (you) is now a cellular biologist. She worked for her father but not with her father. Ever since the earthquake, Hana did not talk to her father again. She would only talk to him if it’s necessary, mostly about work. She would even address him as ‘Mr. Yang’ not dad or father. Hana despised her father for the person that he has become. Even until now, she was sure that her father still has the strong desire to create a superhuman.

***

One late night, Seung Hyun goes to Mr. Yang’s laboratory. He wanted to steal some things and files that might help him find a cure for his disease. He was able to pass security and get in. Just as he was about to go inside Mr. Yang’s office, he was surprised to hear someone coming, so he immediately went inside and hid himself. He took a peek to see who was coming – it was Hana. When Hana was already inside the office, Seung Hyun tried to keep quiet. As Hana was rummaging through a pile of folders at the shelves, Seung Hyun ran. Fortunately, Hana was facing the other way so, he was able to make his escape, but of course, Hana heard him. She called security.

Don’t look for me Hana, Don’t look for me… Seung Hyun thought as he ran down the stairs.

Hana also searched the building herself. She had a feeling… she had a feeling that she couldn’t understand. When she reached the ground floor, she went out and kept looking.

“Yah! Is anybody out there? Who are you?” She shouted but no one responded. She stayed there for a while, waiting… The wind blows causing her hair to flow with it. It was quiet for a while, until…

“It’s me.” Seung Hyun suddenly emerges from a dark corner.

Hana was shocked. So that was what her heart was telling her a while ago – to look for the intruder for it was Seung Hyun.

“S-S-Seung Hyun…” Hana finally said.

Seung Hyun did not speak. I can’t think of anything to say… He thought.

He wanted to be mad at her, to hurt her like she had hurt him. He wanted to make her suffer like he did. He wanted to… but he just can’t… he loves her too much to do that.

Seung Hyun walked slowly towards Hana. Trembling, she takes two steps back. Seung Hyun stopped approaching her, he lowered his head and sighed. “Do you still think of me as a monster?”

Hana was shocked by what he said, but she felt guilty. She looked down and said, “Seung Hyun, I don’t know if you could ever forgive me, but all I say is that… I’m sorry, I am.”

Seung Hyun looked at her with sad eyes, “How can I not forgive you Hana? I love you so much that it hurts to be even mad at you. I came here with great anger in my heart, but with just the sight of you… it all goes away… the pain, the anger, the sadness… you make it all go away.”

Tears began to fall from Hana’s eyes. She runs to Seung Hyun and embraces him tightly. “I’m sorry Seung Hyun, I’m sorry.”

Seung Hyun looked her in the eyes and wipes her tears, “It’s okay Hana, it’s okay.” Then, he hugs her again.

Just as this was happening, they hear someone coming, so they break free from each other’s arms.

“It’s the security,” Hana said, “Quickly! Run!”

Seung Hyun then does as Hana said and runs away just in time before the security sees Hana.

“We couldn’t find him ma’am.” One of the guards said.

“It’s fine. Just be sure that you keep watch.” And at that, Hana went back inside the building.

***

With Hana being a well-known cellular biologist now, she goes back to helping Seung Hyun. The two of them constantly visited each other and was able to rebuild their relationship again. Although Hana is with Seung Hyun again, she still worked for her father. She did not want her father to be suspicious, plus, if she continued working for her father, she could get a hand on all the things that she needed in finding a cure for Seung Hyun.

One day, Mr. Yang finds out about the intruder. Hana asked the security to keep it a secret, but one of them accidentally slips when he finds a video record from the hidden cameras that would tell them who the intruder was. As Mr. Yang watched the video along with the security, Hana becomes nervous. The video showed the back of Seung Hyun when he was running down the stairs.

“He looks familiar, can you zoom that in?” Mr. Yang asked as Hana watched behind his shoulder.

“That’s the best I can do sir.” The security said. Hana felt slightly relieved.

“Just show me other videos.”

The security did as he was told. It took them quite a long time before seeing another video that showed Seung Hyun.

“STOP! STOP! STOP!” Mr. Yang said, “Zoom that in!”

The video was zoomed in.

“I knew it! I knew he was alive!” Mr. Yang suddenly exclaimed. Hana only stared at the monitor that showed a blurry face of Seung Hyun.

“Show me the other videos!”

As the new videos were shown, Hana got even more scared, especially when she saw herself on the screen – with Seung Hyun.

Her father glared at her, “Take her out of here!”

The guards take Hana out of the room as her father followed. She was taken to his office.

“Wait here.” Her father said as he took some things in his drawer.

Her father went back to the security room. There, he asked the security to look into the disks that he just got recently when he had a team retrieve all the things that are still usable. The disks contained videos from the hidden cameras of his former laboratory.

Mr. Yang smirked when he confirmed his thoughts. The videos, although a bit distorted, showed Seung Hyun being able to make it out of the laboratory. He then dashed back to his office where Hana was.

“Where’s Seung Hyun?” He asked.

“I’m not going through this again.” Hana said then she walked out of the office.

Mr. Yang was outraged, “Hana! Come back here at this moment! Where’s Seung Hyun?” He shouted as he followed Hana.

Hana quickened her pace. She was going to her office to pick some things and leave. Her father still followed her, insisting for Seung Hyun’s whereabouts. When Hana reached her office, her father was able to grab a hold of her hand.

“Tell me where’s Seung Hyun!” He screamed like a mad man.

“I won’t tell you!” After saying this, her father suddenly slaps her on the cheek. She was so shocked. Since then, her father never hurt her. She stared at him in horror as her hand rested on the cheek that he hit.

“Who are you? You’re not my father.” Hana said.

Mr. Yang then seemed to come back to his senses, “I-I’m sorry Hana, I didn’t mean too.”

Hana ignored her father. She took some things inside her drawer then she grabbed her bag and rode the elevator. Mr. Yang continued to follower her. When the elevator closed on him, the other opened. He demanded everyone on the elevator to get off and he went on it.

“Hana!” Her father called out but she still ignored him. Mr. Yang was able to come close to her and grabbed her arm, “Hana!” He shouted. But before Mr. Yang hurts Hana again, Seung Hyun comes out.

“I’m the one you want, right? Let her go.” Seung Hyun said.

Mr. Yang then lets Hana go and comes to Seung Hyun, “Finally, we meet again. I thought all of my hard work would go to waste.”

Seung Hyun was soon back into a laboratory. Hana’s father was determined. He believed that this time, his experiment would be successful.

Mr. Yang makes tests and began his experiments. Then, he went to get a capsule-like object and pulled an injection inside it. Just as he was about to inject it on Seung Hyun’s arm, Seung Hyun fights and breaks free from the bed he was cuffed on. He manages to take the injection from Mr. Yang’s hand then he injects it to him. Mr. Yang was shocked. His body became stiff. The other scientists went in the room to help him. Hana, who was watching from the other side of the room, takes this as an opportunity to escape with Seung Hyun. She goes into the room and grabs Seung Hyun who was still in shock. As they were about to go out the room, Mr. Yang turns. The muscles all over his body bulges, he lifted his head showing his glowing eyes and black lines on his face. He shouted, almost close to a roar. Hana and Seung Hyun looked at him then they try to make their escape, but he sees them. He hits everyone out of his way and run at Hana and Seung Hyun. The other scientists call for help as Hana and Seung Hyun were being chased. When they were out of the building, a group of men grabs them and pulls them to safety. Soon, Mr. Yang was seized by a group of armed men.

Hana and Seung Hyun were relieved. They were safe now.

***

After a few months of experimenting, Hana finally discovers a cure for Seung Hyun’s condition. She injected it to him. His body stiffened then he felt shaking all over. He passes out. Hana was so worried. She looked into her files to see where she went wrong, but she didn’t commit any mistakes. She went back to Seung Hyun and tried to perform CPR on him, but it didn’t work.

She embraced him as tears went down her cheeks, “Seung Hyun… don’t leave me now.”

As if hearing her pleas, Seung Hyun opens his eyes and puts his arm around Hana.

“I won’t Hana.” He whispered to her ear.

Hana lifted her head and smiled, “Seung Hyun!” Then she embraced him again.

Seung Hyun kissed her on the forehead and smiled.

***

Meanwhile, Mr. Yang is locked in a special cell, somewhere… Far away where he couldn’t hurt anyone, anymore.

***

Seung Hyun and Hana got married and fortunately, conceived a normal baby girl. At least now, the past wouldn’t repeat itself… well, as long as Mr. Yang remains locked up and do not escape.