The Day She Was Born

17 Years Later.

 

He glanced at his watch.  It was almost 4.35PM, and Yoon knew he was already late.  He quickened his steps until he was running before he knew it.  “How could I be late?!  Babo!” he scolded himself while waiting for the pedestrian light to go green.  Yoon looked up at the light pleadingly.  “Please be green…”

 

____________________________

 

Tae San paced back and forth in the hospital corridor.  His two best friends, Kim Do Jin and Lee Jung Rok could only watch him with pretend calmness.  In their hearts, they could feel their hearts beating unevenly, the same feeling as what Tae San was feeling at the time.   Do Jin let out a small sigh and relaxed his back on the waiting seat with his head rested on the wall.  On the other side of the wall, Tae San’s mother is duelling with her life to give birth to Tae San’s new sibling.

 

Im Tae San was 16 when his parents break the news about them being pregnant.  Tae San was overjoyed to learn the news as he oftenly wished that he has a sibling to play with.  Tae San was Im Family’s only son, but that would be changed in any moments now.

 

“Where is that saekki?” asked Tae San impatiently while he was still pacing up and down the corridor.  Do Jin and Jung Rok tilted their heads simultaneously.  They eyed Tae San without any answer.  Their phones were heating up in their nervous hands.

 

“Did he reply to you yet?” asked Jung Rok at Do Jin.  Do Jin shook his head, which cost Tae San to become more agitated.  Jung Rok didn’t dare to see Tae San in the eyes as he knew that Tae San will transform into a Hulk when he's angry.  With a weak laugh, Jung Rok continued, “I think I should try to call him again.”  He then got up and walked into another corridor.

 

Do Jin watched his friend in agony coolly.  Tae San was still absorbed in stepping every inch of the hospital’s floor until he suddenly realized a pair of hawk eyes glued to him.  He turned around and faced Do Jin.  “What are you looking at, huh?” he asked.

 

“How long is this corridor?” asked Do Jin as he smirked.

 

“What?”

 

“I’m asking you, how long is this corridor?  You should have probably known the length since you kept on walking on for 60 times,” teased Do Jin.  Tae San frowned and sat down next to Do Jin.  “Why it’s taking so long in there?  How many hours have we waited outside here?!” Tae San explained for his behaviour.  The smirk on Do Jin’s face hadn’t fade away.  “Yah.  We’ve only been here for an hour since your dad called.  Be patience.  I believe it will end soon enough.”

 

“Really?  It’s only been an hour?” asked Tae San, and Do Jin nodded.  Tae San snarled.  “Yeah!  So?  For me, it feels like 5 hours now.  And that Yoonpal isn’t here yet.  Am gonna kill that bastard.”

 

Do Jin grinned warmly.  “He’ll be here.  You just wait.”

 

____________________________

 

Yoon breathed heavily at the hospital entrance.  Sweats were dripping down his chin like river falls, and his shirt couldn’t be any wetter than it was – he looked utterly mess.  Yet, with his leftover adrenaline in his system, he plodded quickly through corridors towards his friends.  He counted the rooms in his head and his pace speeded up once he knew he was getting closer to his destination.  He had just reached the end of the corridor when he heard sounds of laughter and joy at the other end.  “What just happened?” he asked himself and rushed towards his friends.

 

Yoon saw Tae San, Do Jin and Jung Rok were hugging happily outside of the labor room.  “What happened?  What did I miss?” asked Yoon, puzzled.  Upon hearing his voice, all of the merry boys stopped and glare at Yoon.

 

“What did you just asked?  ‘What DID I MISS?’?!  Come here you saekki!” replied Tae San and he started to chase Yoon down the corridor.  Yoon, sensing a danger vibe from Tae San, quickly wanted to make his getaway.  Unfortunately, his two other best friends were taking Tae San’s side on that day.  Hence, both of them locked Yoon in their grips while laughing sinisterly. 

 

With a deadly face, Tae San approached the quivering Yoon slowly.  Tae San’s face was directly opposite to his when all of a sudden, Tae San broke into a smile and hugged him tightly.  Yoon who was dumbfounded by this stood still as the others gave him a hug too.

 

“What just hap –”  He stopped mid-sentence.  His eyes grew big with surprise.  He looked at Tae San who couldn’t utter another word since he was feeling overwhelmed.  Yoon’s smile got wider – his perfect white teeth shone brilliantly under the fluorescent light.  “Was it.. a success?  Have you gotten a baby sister?” he continued.  Tae San nodded.  The boys broke into another group hug while laughing gleefully. 

 

The four best friends had just gained a sister.

 

_________________________

 

“I’m gonna grabbed some coffee.  Do you guys want one?” Tae San offered.  They were now back in the corridor after they were permissioned to see Tae San’s mother.  Although the exhaustion was visible clearly in her face, she was happy to see her ‘sons’ overjoyed with the arrival of the newborn; and they were glad to see her doing well.

 

“Get me a latte, will you?” said Jung Rok while his eyes were plastered onto his mobile phone. 

 

“Make that two,” said Do Jin before he leaves to make a quick phone call.

 

“Yoonpal.  Do you want coffee too?”  Yoon who was busy reading a novel looked up to see Tae San glancing at him.  He paused for a second, then he made up his mind.  “I think I’ll follow you.”

 

“Great.  Then, let’s go!” said Tae San.  Yoon swiftly rose up from the seat and walked quietly beside his friend.  The coffee machine was in another corridor where the nursery located.  Both boys were silent as they were making their way towards the machine.  There were nothing to talk about.  Both were still overwhelmed.

 

Later, they reached the glass room full of crying and sleeping babies.  They made a turn into another corridor, but only Tae San was moving.  Once he realized his friend wasn’t at his side, he turned around.  He saw Yoon staring at the glass window without a blink.

 

“Yoonpal!  Are you coming?” asked Tae San.  Yoon didn’t avert his eyes away from the glass when he replied, “You go ahead.  Meet me here then.”  Tae San continued his journey.

 

Yoon stood still before the glass window.  His gaze fell onto an infant crib in the middle of the nursery despite it was surrounded by a few other similar cribs.  He took a few steps forward till his nose touched the glass window.  His widened eyes shimmered under the light as he stared earnestly at the sleeping baby wrapped up firmly with a pink polka dot blanket in the crib.  He was staring at his new ‘baby sister’, Im Mae Ar.  

 

“Im Mae Ar…”, Yoon beamed as he called the baby’s name, “I’m your oppa.  Welcome to the world, Mae Arie”