Little One

Guardian Angel

Guardian Angel
"If I could meet you with these wonderful wings."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDVVEZ8SQRY&feature=player_embedded

For a dramatic effect, you can click the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK73TIzUo5o

Or this one. Whichever you prefer.

 



"Mir," The voice said strictly, a stern look was placed upon the man's face.

"Yes?" Mir asked, the head angel sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"You have been assigned to be someone's guardian angel." The words left the head angel's mouth slowly, almost too slowly for Mir. The boy's face seemed to have lit up, his eyes twinkled with excitement. He had just passed the angel exams a few months ago, he hadn't been expecting a job so soon.

"Really?" Angels don't lie, so it was a rhetorical question he had asked.

"No," G.O had always been God's favorite angel, if God could have one, a humorous fellow he was.

"Thanks so much!" His white wings fluttered open as he jumped up and down in excitement. Mir attempted to hug the head angel but had been brushed off.

"I don't do hugs," He had briskly said. Mir pouted but nodded anyway. "You should know the basics of being a guardian angel, correct?" Again, Mir nodded, a bright smile shone on his face, his eyes split into tiny moon crescents. "Then we won't have much to discuss about. There are three simple rules you must never break." Mir looked up at G.O with curiosity. He had never heard the rules before. "One - you must never let your human know of your presence, of our existence. Two - you cannot come in physical contact with your human. You may warn him through dreams, but make them vague and only if he's in great danger. Three - if it's his time to go, let him leave. Don't grow too attached. It won't end well." G.O recited the rules with concern in his eyes. He had told God it was too early to let the fledgling be a guardian angel. He might break some rules and be careless about his responsibility.

Let him be, was God's reply. You can't argue with him, so G.O gave up.

"Come with me. I shall show you the place where you're human is to be born." Following the head angel's lead, Mir walked quickly trying to catch up with the floating angel. He couldn't use his wings very well, so he avoided having to transport with them. The white clouds felt soft underneath his bare feet, he enjoyed the feeling. Arriving at the portal room, a large bowl of blessed water sat in the center. Images of the human world were projected on the surface, little ripples distorted the images at times.

Tapping on the surface, G.O said something in the ancient language of the angels that Mir didn't understand. The spell was short, the chant was brief, the water swelled up into a giant ball and lifted out of the bowl. It continuously zoomed in, images of the modern world flashed by. A hospital room, a woman was lying on the bed peacefully in slumber.

She suddenly jolted up, a loud cry rose in the empty room. The woman was struggling, crying and screaming. Nurses and doctors rushed in the room, the woman screamed something about her water bag breaking. Mir flinched when she yelled again. Her fringe was matted on her forehead, her face flushed cherry red. Breathing in and out loudly, she was half yelling, half panting.

"Push!" Someone encouraged. Mir didn't know whether it was the doctor or the nurse who said it, or even the woman herself who had said it. The room was a mixture of noises, unbearably loud.

Screaming and grunts continued, tears and flustered faces were evident, useless attempts of trying to muffle the woman's shouts of pain had happened.

"Keep pushing, the stomach is almost out!" Crying louder, the woman had pushed with all her might, her face scrunched and a new sound was heard. A baby's wail resounded through the small, white room. A little boy was quickly wrapped with a blue blanket.

"Congratulations for the healthy baby boy," The nurse who held the baby said. She placed the small baby into the woman's arm, she grinned tiredly. She handed the baby back and fainted from fatigue. But before she did, she whispered her child's name. "Yang Seungho," Was all her hoarse voice could mutter.


 

---
 


At the age of 1, Yang Seungho had been an absolutely adorable little boy. With big, wide eyes and a smile that could match an angel's, he was perfect and precious to Mir.

He had just woken from a nap, Mir was hovering over the little boy, laughing along with his childish giggles. His tiny fingers grabbed onto the wooden bar of his little bed. He laughed again, a smile spread across his face, two pearly front teeth showed with his grin.

A dream catcher was spinning around on the ceiling, little Seungho had been trying to grab the little strings and animals that had been hanging down. An upset frown struck his baby features when he couldn't reach it. His cheeks inflated, tears brimmed his eyes.

It was early in the afternoon, and his mother was heating up his milk. A cry erupted from him when he had tried several times but couldn't reach the twirling strings.

His mother hadn't heard him cry, she was busy talking on the phone with her old high school friend as it seems. Mir's nose crinkled, what was he supposed to do? He can't materialize himself without the baby boy seeing him.

Seungho's crying died down, he cocked his head to the side, staring straight at Mir. Big eyes that were puffy and pink stared at Mir. A fluttering feeling made him nervous and strangely happy. It seems as if the little boy could see him. G.O had said that sometimes babies and animals could see them, but it was a rare case.

Seungho giggled and pointed his tiny finger at Mir, as if beckoning the angel to come closer. Mir took a step, Seungho's laughter grew with each step. Soon he was next to the crib, a hand on Seungho's small, soft head. The baby uttered some nonsensical baby talk no one understood. Mir felt as if his heart was going to burst out of his ribcage anytime soon. As a new born angel himself, he had never experienced the feeling before. He was barely three years old himself, yet here he is, taking care of a boy who could be as old as him, but then again, angel years are different from human's.

Seungho suddenly pouted and started to cry. Mir stared at him questionably. "What is it?" He cooed, knowing the baby boy wouldn't understand him. Surprisingly, Seungho had pointed at the teddy bear that had fallen out of his bed. When Mir picked it up, Seungho's cries stopped, a fit of happy giggles erupted from the baby.

Seungho surely knew what he was doing, even at a young age he was smart. Mir placed the teddy bear in Seungho's tiny arms, the boy hugged it tightly. He continued to mutter gibberish, Mir assuming it was words of thanks. The boy didn't pay any more attention to Mir, his focus was solely on his bear.

Footsteps pounded up the stairs, Mir quickly faded into his original form, transparent to the human eye. He hadn't even realize he materialized until a few seconds ago.

"Seungho," His mothers voice cooed. Seeing as she was in the room now, Mir flew back to heaven to watch from above. He couldn't control his powers very well, he might materialize in front of the mother, that wouldn't result in anything good. Baby Seungho was set in his mother's lap, a warm bottle of milk pressed on his lips. "Good boy," His mother cooed.

As Mir later found out, Seungho's mother was a single woman, divorced and independent. She had cared for Seungho all on her own, with her new boyfriend's financial help. She had ran away from home due to the debts her father owed and had married a man who she thought she loved. They always fought after their marriage, she was abused and miserable. Soon she filed a report to the police and got her alcoholic of a husband in jail for domestic abuse. She later found out she was pregnant with Seungho, and planned to get married to her new boyfriend after he was old enough.

Seungho giggled after he finished with his bottle of milk, his mother rocked him and tried to burp the boy. He soon fell asleep in his mother's arm, with her soft voice singing a lullaby. "You're so precious," She kissed him on his forehead and left him in his crib, blanket covering his small body. A small smile lit his tiny face, cheeks flushed a pretty shade of pale pink, hands spread next to his head.

"Adorable," Mir whispered. "You are so precious."

 


---



At the age of three, Seungho was a trouble maker. He had mastered the basics of walking and running and had used it to his advantage. Already learning how to climb on stools to get what he wanted, little Seungho was no longer a baby. The toddler liked to hide away from his mother and make her worried. He had explored and mapped every inch of the house, often finding small holes or corners he could hide at.

After the incident two years ago, Seungho hadn't been able to see Mir again. Sometimes Seungho would stare straight at Mir and giggle, but then he would focus else where.

"Seungho, stay here, okay?"

"Okay," Seungho replied with the brightest smile on his lips. His accent was adorable and he stuttered a lot. He knew a lot of simple words, but still liked to babble his gibberish more often than not.

His eyes trained on the T.V. as he hummed to the song they were playing. Mir was sitting on the chair not too far away from Seungho, observing the toddler's excited expression. "Mir." His eyes were fixed on the T.V. yet Mir clearly heard the baby boy say his name.

A commercial flashed before the screen, Seungho turned his eyes towards Mir. A smile lit up his face. "Teddy bear. Mir!" He excitedly shouted. Giggling to himself, he hopped off the couch and waddled over to Mir. His tiny hands clasped around Mir's tugging with no strength. "Watch!" He said, continuing to tug on Mir's hands.

Mir got up and followed Seungho to the couch, the boy sat down and patted the seat next to him. "Sit." The little boy commanded.

The show continued and Seungho didn't even glance at Mir the entire time. When the commercial break came on again, Seungho whipped his head around and touched Mir's folded wing. "Waaah." Seungho looked at the white feathers with wonder and amusement on his face. He stood up on the couch, small hands touching Mir's face. "Pwetty!" The little boy giggled as he traced Mir's face. Mir chuckled along, he extended his hands and traced Seungho's little nose.

"Cute." Was Mir's reply.

"Seungho! Come in the kitchen!" His mother called. Seungho pouted but removed his hands from Mir's wings, which were now outstretched.

"Mommy call. Bye bye!" The little toddler stepped down from the couch, little legs touching the floor with much difficulty. He ran into the kitchen, giggling. Mir decided it was time for him to go back to heaven. He didn't want to invade their family time together.


 

---
 


Seungho was now five, and it was his first day of preschool. The boy held his mother's and new father's hand tightly as he walked up to the big, brick building. Mir had now learned how to control his powers, now he can stay with Seungho all the time. Of course he had to report to G.O from time to time and rest to replenish his power. But other than that, Mir was always with Seungho.

The boy had seen him several times after the first two, but lately he hasn't been able to see Mir. During the night, he would call out Mir's name when there was a storm outside or something like that. But during the day, Seungho never seemed to remember him.

Mir hadn't broken any rules as far as he's concerned. Little Seungho had seen him, himself. Mir didn't purposely reveal himself. G.O said it was normal, but after turning twelve, their memories would be erased. Mir had been a little sad when he learned that fact. He gazed at the boy who looked nervous, holding both of his parent's hands tightly.

"I don't wanna go." He pleaded before they entered the gate.

"Seungho, look at all those kids! They're going to be your friends, so go and make friends, okay?" His mother's words weren't any help.

"But I already have a friend!" He pouted and stomped his feet. "Mir is all the friend I'll ever need!" The little boy cried. His eyes were moist with tears he refused to let go because he was "a big boy" now.

"Honey, sure Mir is you're friend. But he's just a figment of your imagination. Go make real friends, okay?" Seungho's mother had recently gotten married to her long time boyfriend, Seungho refused to call him father though.

"Mir is real, though." He didn't like it when his mother and father said Mir wasn't real. He is. Seungho had touched his wings before, he knows it.

"Okay, how 'bout this? We can go get ice cream later if you go to school." His mother knew his weak spots, Mir chuckled at how Seungho's face looked torn.

"Alright." Little kids were so easy to convince, Mir decided. His heart had sped up considerably when Seungho mentioned his name.

Seungho had walked into the building, his shoes were taken off and he slipped into his indoor shoes. "Bye bye," He waved at his parents, and walked into his new classroom. Mir followed behind him at a distance.

The classroom was filled with guardian angels and their little ones. He had recognized a kid who he took the exams with.

"Hi Joon!" Mir greeted when they entered, Joon was hovering over a small and fragile looking boy. The little boy reminded him of a camel, for some reason.

"Yang Seungho?" The teacher asked, little Seungho nodded. "You're seat is next to Cheondung. Sit over there, hun." Mrs. Woo had pointed to the Cheondung.

"This is my little one, Cheondung," Joon had introduced him to the boy he was hovering over.

"The one in front of the class in Seungho." Mir replied.

Class began and the talking hushed. Everyone of them were nervous, by the looks of it. Mir had leaned against the wall next to Seungho. The little boy fidgeted around with his book bag handle. "Nervous?" Mir had asked, he never expected a reply. Little Sungho nodded his head and stared right at him. Mir's heart leaped over the moon with excitement.

"Alright class, welcome to preschool!" The teacher said, she was in her late twenties as it looks like. "My name is Mrs. Woo, you can just call me teacher. Now how many of you can count? Raise your hand if you can."

Everyone in the room raised their hand.

"Okay then. Seungho, can you count all the numbers you know?" Seungho's eyes widened. He didn't expect to be called on.

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10." He had shyly said. He had missed eight due to his nervousness, Cheondung pointed it out.

"Good!" Mrs. Woo had praised and clapped. "Let's give those two a hand everyone." The classroom erupted with clapping. Seungho let a shy smile creep on his face, he felt proud.

He seemed to have forgotten about Mir for the rest of the day.


 

---



"Stop right there!" Seven years old Seungho yelled. He made a finger gun with his hand and was pointing it at Cheondung. The boy who was younger than Seungho smirked and aimed his own finger gun at Seungho.

"They are such a handful, don't you think?" Joon chided, looking over the two best friends.

"I couldn't have said it better myself." Mir laughed. The two were now wrestling each other to the ground, seeing as who would be the police and who would be the thief. Each wanted the role of the cop.

"Boys! Lunch is ready!" The two ran into the house, last one was a rotten egg. Mir and Joon both laughed at the childish exchange.

Mir decided it was time for him to stretch his wings, he hadn't flown in a while. Soaring through the sky, he saw through the patio door. The two little boys were having a food fight, Seungho was winning by the looks of it.

"Cute, isn't it?" Mir didn't know when, but Joon had snuck up on him. He let out a surprised yelp, the older chuckled.

"Wait a few more years and they'll have children of their own to worry about." Joon stated. Joon had always been a person who liked to babble about the most random things ever.

"Yeah." Somehow, the thought of Seungho making a family of his own hurts Mir. He didn't want to think about it, but he'll have to face reality soon. "Too bad we can't tell their children how childish their parents were."

Joon sighed and landed on the soft grass. "Yeah, and then we'll have to move on to another person."

"I'll never forget him. He was my first little one." Mir smiled sadly, he didn't want to think about it. He wanted it to always be this way. Seungho and Cheondung were on the floor wrestling again.

"Me neither." The conversation ended there.

 


---



Thirteen years old and he already had a girlfriend. Mir had to admit they were ridiculously cute. They were both extremely shy and nervous when they were around each other. They secretly held hands during class and almost got caught once.

Mir's existence had been forgotten, like G.O had promised. Mir felt sad, but he had to move on anyway. Little Seungho was no longer little.

He was entering seventh grade that year, and had no longer been emotional about leaving his parents. He didn't need bribery to get him to do something. He curses his alarm clock almost every morning. Mir found he changed a lot. He liked the younger Seungho better, but Seungho was still Seungho. He was timid and didn't like talking to strangers.

Cheondung and him were still best friends. They were inseparable.

Seungho was tall, almost as tall as his father. He liked sports though he had a bad back. Singing was one of his hobbies, he got that from his mother. His big doe eyes were still the same though. They portrayed all of his emotions without hiding anything at all. He was no longer cute, but rather handsome. He had grown well.

Little Seungho, Mir misses calling Seungho that. Now it was just Seungho, no nickname was required. Seungho had lost the eyes that could see Mir. He was now an adult. What he thought of Mir was an imaginary friend his brain had conjured up due to loneliness.

It made Mir sad, to be honest, but he couldn't get attached. When Seungho turns twenty, Mir would have to leave and get another little one to take care of. Seungho would marry and have a baby of his own. He would someday grow old and die, and maybe he would enter heaven.

Mir was never alive, he was never human. Angels were born as angels, not human. He had never experienced what Seungho had. Mir's parent was God, and his family was everyone else.

Joon and Mir grew to become best friends as well. They were in the classroom together, looking at their two little ones as they converse.

"I'll miss him."

"Why?" Mir had asked when Joon suddenly said it. Joon was still as random and distant minded as always.

"Kids now adays are growing too fast, they'll become adults much faster. We'll have to tranfer sooner that way." The fact Mir wanted to deny was shoved in his face that day. His heart felt heavy, his wings drooped.

"You're right." He needed to learn that fact. He needed someone to tell him. He had grown too attached to Seungho, he couldn't let it continue.

 


---



"Mir, you have been transferred." G.O had called him back one day and told him the heartbreaking news.

"What?"

"Seungho's too mature. He's an adult now, he won't need a guardian angel anymore."

Silent, the room was deathly silent. Mir felt his heart shatter into a hundred different pieces. He didn't want to part from his little Seungho, but the truth is as it is.

At the age of seventeen, Seungho no longer had a guardian angel. Mir was no longer there. He was a figment of Seungho's imagination, and it seems like he'll always believe that.

Mir was no longer his angel.

Seungho was no longer his little one.

They were never meant to meet.

Seungho forgot Mir.

Mir longed for Seungho to remember everyday.


 

---
 


At the age of twenty-six, Seungho had gotten married to a lady named Sooyeon.

"Go to his wedding. It's a tradition." G.O had instructed. What G.O didn't know was that G.O was breaking Mir's already shattered heart.

A long aisle, white flowers hung with ribbons attached to it on the pews. Statues of Mary and angels were littered through the church. A priest, a happy family, Cheondung, and other people Seungho had befriended during their time apart had showed up.

Sooyeon walked down the aisle, white dress dragging behind her. She was beautiful. A veil covered her small face, beautiful eyes shined, a bright smile drew upon her face.

Seungho was at the priest's side. Hands shaking, eyes smiling, nervous yet excited. Mir drew a long breath in, calming his emotions, or attempting to anyway. He sat on top of a statue that was dedicated to him, or so he thought. It was strikingly familiar to his features. But then again, it could've been a coincidence.

"I do." He hadn't been paying attention, but Sooyeon had just agreed to marry Seungho.

His heart broke into tiny pieces from the already shattered ones.

"I do." This time it was Seungho who had said the words. Mir's shoulder slumped, his fist tightened. A single tear slipped from his eyes and fell directly over Seungho.

Seungho glanced up when he felt something wet fall on his face. His eyes meet a statue which looked strikingly familiar. Where has he seen that before?

"You may now kiss the bride." The priest announced. He took pulled Sooyeon's veil back and kissed her, but his gaze lingered on the statue of an angel that looked so familiar.

A sense of nostalgia washed over him.

He remembered the time when he was six and had almost fell into a lake. He had felt someone grab his arm to hold him back. Who was that? He couldn't remember.

He racked his brain for an explanation. He then remembered to the time when he was a baby, a teddy bear, and a boy who's smile was bright and cheerful. Who's that? He asked himself. Who is it?

 



---

 


Yang Seugnho
August 1st, 2055
age 68
1987-2055
Died naturally

 

 


The headstone read the date of his death. Mir floated in the air, watching as Seungho's soul traveled to heaven.

"Mir." A voice called out. Seungho was staring at him.

Lips pressed against lips, softly, chastely, briefly.

"I found you, angel."

"You found me, little one."

Hand in hand, smiles lit brightly, a small boy who is now a grown man, an angel with never changing features and soft brown hair, a couple who had found each other.

From the beginning, separated at the middle, found again at the end.

"I love you." The words Mir couldn't say while Seungho was living.

"I love you too, my guardian angel." Wings sprouted from Seungho's back.

Little one and angel, I will allow you to be together now. Yang Seungho, your human life is over, embrace your new found angel life.

Mir smiled. He knew the voice well.

"Thanks, God."

White wings fluttered open, catching wind as they flew towards heaven, orange sun just above their head. Angel and boy reunited, lovers they will remain.

 


A/N It turned out a lot more fluffy than I thought it'd be. I hope it was good enough and that I portrayed their feelings correctly. I don't know. I guess I didn't expect it to be so mellow, it lacked a lot of depth. But it's a oneshot, so it can't be helped. Thanks for reading.

16 pages and 4073 words.

Here's more words.

 

I leave you with thess really cute gifs,