episode 1: Marcus Sivonest Aquila

Beyond The Hadrian's Wall

 

italic = flashback

***

Eagle.

The little boy bit his lower lip as he eyed the beautifully craved small wooden eagle in his father’s hand.

Eagle is a symbol of bravery and freedom, his old man said. Eagle soars up in the sky majestically and regally flies through storm or rain.

It is a hunter. It is its’ nature to concur and to kill.  Sometimes it is easy, but some other time an eagle also faces hard time. However, as resilient as an eagle could be, it never gives up. It might rest for a while before it hunts again.

Just like an eagle, Rome stands toughly against any obstacle and hindrance. Might it be Persian, or Egyptian. Or might it be Ottoman or Celtics. The Rome withstands and overcome them all.

Rome is the centre of the world. The world civilizations started in Rome, his father continued. As a civilized culture, it is the Romans’ responsibility to spread the knowledge all over the world and teaches others culture the true meaning of honour and freedom.

As his father squatted in front of him and as calloused thumbs wiped his tears dry, the man said, don’t cry upon his departure. His little son should be proud instead, because his father’s departure means freedom and civilization to thousands and millions of other people.  

He father said, he would also brings the pride of Rome with him.

The eagle.

The boy nodded as his father slipped the wooden eagle around his neck.  As he looked at it, he realized the similarity of ‘his eagle’ and ‘the eagle’ held by one of his fathers’ legions officer. 

“This is our symbol of pride. Be a proud man to carry and to serves it.” His father last said before the commander mounted on his well-decorated horse.

The boy chocked all his tears and squeezed the eagle hard. He held it close to his heart as he look at his father’s disappearing back. Deep inside, he knew it will be the last time he see that man.

‘This is our pride.’

***

“Our food caravan had been delayed for a week, Sir.”

Siwon lifted his face from the war map and studied his underlings face seriously. He closed the sheet and placed them aside.

“A week? Why I hadn’t being informed of this earlier?” Siwon asked as he shifted his hawk eyes gaze towards his assistant commander in charge.

The middle age man uneasily straightened his tunic. The man tried to hold his composure under Siwon’s questioning eye.

Commander Marcus Sivonest Aquila, also known as Siwon is the garrison commander of the Ghoul’s forts. The large forts held 1000 troops within its wall and is the second northernmost forts of Hadrian Wall.

Despite of his young age, the 29 years old already assigned to protect Roman-Britain boarder from the Picts, the Celtics or even the Brigentes.

He is the only son of the great Marcus Cargill Aquila, the commander of the infamous Ninth Legion. The first legion sent by Rome beyond the wall to concur the Celtics.

His bravery and wisdom said are at par with his fathers’.  Both of the Aquilas are the master of war strategies, a heritage he naturally inherit even though he barely remembers his old man’s face.

However, his achievements were not the only thing that made the young commander famous. His look and his personality also hot topics for citizen of Rome especially among the women. As for look, Siwon blessed with tall muscular body. His skin is tanned, contrary of his aristocratic status making him stood out from others. His handsome face had captures so many hearts, women and men alike.

Amongst his perfection however, the man also known for his up thigh personality. He’s too serious and dedicated especially to his works. He barely went to any high-end function and decided to be a soldier despite of a senate. He looked upon his late father highly and followed his footstep in military carrier.

***

Still calmly, waits for the answer, Siwon placed his hand on the table. ”Well, Maximus don’t you have anything to say?”

The middle-aged man cleared his throat.

“Well Siwon. Actually, I was informed regarding this matter 3 days ago. But I think there’s nothing we should be worried about. We still have plenty of food for our officers. We still eat lambs and hearty meals every day. The supplements should be enough for another week or two.”

Maximus replied with other high ranking officers nodding their heads in agreement.

Siwon shook his head disapproving. How could his commanders being so selfish.

“Are the officers that you only think off? Let me ask you Maximus, are the officers are the people who going to jump into enemies alley, fighting with the salvagers when the time come?”

“I see my men, my warriors eating empty grains every day. If this ill treatment continues, they won’t have enough nutrition as well as strength even to raise their swords.”

“With the natives’ threat getting stronger and stronger by days, don’t you at least suspect what had they done to our food supply? Had not you suspected that there might be Romans out there, held captive by the salvagers?”

“Our brothers might need our help to free them.”

Siwon looked at his dumbfounded commanders. He is so frustrated by their ignorance and disability to analyse their current situation.

“I want a trooper to scout the cavalry by noon. Not opens for argument.” Siwon finalized.

His commanders flinched at his order.

“Yes Sir!”

***

Days passed without any news neither from the trooper nor from the cavalry. By the dawn of the third day, a worried Siwon scouted around the parameter of his fortress.

The men had become restless and the morale of the soldier started to fall. Rumours spread saying that the Picts had slaughtered their comrades as well as their cavalry. Soon, they too are going to die due to starvation.

Just at the corner dividing his chamber and the officer’s pad, Siwon heard someone whispering his name. Curious, Siwon stayed out of sight and listened to their secret conversation.

“I really hate that brat.” One slatted malice and hate.

Siwon kept silent. He recognised the voice. It belonged to Maximus, his assistant commander. He knew the old man wasn’t too fond of him, and Maximus make sure the later knows about it.

“He thought, with his reputation as son of Cargill of Ninth, he could do anything that he like. He even dares to scold me in public. That boy just half of my age, for God’s sakes!”

“Obviously Maximus, he is trying to detrude you in front of the privet last time. He even tried to buy the soldier’s heart by taking their side. A noble with a heart of commoners. So disgusting.”

“But as we talked about his father,” said the third person. Siwon clenched his jaw as he heard about his father.

“Was not he the one who made Rome fallen from grace twenty years ago? He was sent to strengthen Rome in Britain, and look what he did? He fled from the battle field, together with the eagle!”

Siwon felt, his heart boiled at this. He closed his eyes and grasped at the wooden eagle hung at his neck. Siwon prayed silently, “God, please make me stay calm and didn’t punish these people according to my emotion.”

Feeling he might loss his patience towards his subordinates, the young commander left the scene.

He gripped his fist tight until his knuckles turned white. Siwon believed, his father was a loyal man. He never breaks his promises. He won’t fled from the battle field and betrayed Rome like that.

Nobody ever heard of his father since he and his Ninths Legion went across the wall. The whole platoons of 5 thousands elite soldier just vanished beyond the wall like that. As if they swallowed by Britain’s land magically. As well as ‘The Eagle’.

Siwon believed, if his father is still living by now, the old man should had tried to come back to Rome, but after 20 years, he hasn’t. Something must have befallen upon his father and his legion. Siwon convinced that he father had fought hard, but fell eventually.

Siwon was certain that ‘the eagle’ is now in the hand of the salvagers. He’ll take it seize it back from them and brings the eagle back to Rome. He’ll show the world that his father is a respectful man.

He will show them the truth.

Tbc***

Next: “Prepare our men for battle!”