Chapter 1

Don't Touch My Girl

 

Youngmin squinted as the bright morning sun shone down on him. Such a nice day and Kwangmin just had to insist on going to school.

“Hyung! Hurry up! We’re going to be late!” the worried voice of his twin brother could be heard from the end of their quiet street. Youngmin stuffed his hands stubbornly into his pockets and started to walk ever so slowly.

“HYUNG!” Youngmin sighed and ran to catch up to his brother. This proved to be an irrevocable decision as they reached school. Fan girls squealed as they neared their school- Seoul Performing Arts High. Youngmin put on a fake smile and gave them a seemingly warm wave, as he watched his forever perfect brother flash an irresistible wink at them.

“OPPA! OPPA!” The insistent protests of their fans continued as they entered the school gates. Youngmin immediately lost the smile and shoved his hands back into his pockets.

“Hyung, why are you like this when you see our fans? They’re just supporting us,” Kwangmin said with a hint of a smile on his face. Youngmin gave him a mocking smile and walked in the other direction towards the rooftop. Kwangmin shook his head disapprovingly and yelled out to him to remember to join them at lunch. Youngmin refused to turn around and gave a mere wave. A cool breeze caressed his face as Youngmin reached the rooftop. He closed his eyes and leaned his back against the icy metal railing. He entered into a phase of almost non-existence: not seeing, not hearing, not tasting, not feeling and possibly even not breathing for all others knew. A dream came floating back, one of those that had come back over and over again, each time a different variation, a reminder of his past. A painful, scarred past.

This time, they had all grown up.

"Youngmin-ah~~~" the call of the girl tempted him, "I've got your precious baby~~"

"It's not a baby! And give it back! Why are you always taking it? Jeez!!" The girl laughed at his response.

"It's fun to see you run after me~ Don't ever give that up, okay? Always run after me...I want to see it even after..."the girl's mind spun with happy thoughts," 200 000 years!" Youngmin rolled his eyes and retorted,

"You might as well say 1000 000 years then!" The blue flowers laughed at them under their feet, and a cool breeze blew, lifting the girl's hair in a sprightly way.

His eyes snapped open promptly from his daydream as a clatter sounded.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, I didn’t know someone was sleeping here.” A girl wearing the school’s uniform appeared in front of him, massaging her elbow as she looked sheepishly at whom she had disturbed. Youngmin gave her a look of indifference and relaxed his head, leaning it back on the railing.

“If you knew, you wouldn’t be here in the first place. Don’t state the obvious.” Youngmin said, irritated. He sensed the girl standing up, and could hear her dusting her skirt clean with her hands.

“Oh, well, I’m really sorry… I’m new here, a transfer student from Australia. My name’s Kang JaeMi, nice to meet you!” The girl followed this with a deep bow, and continued talking.

“So, what’s your name? Are you new here? Oh, you do have the look of an idol… That’s my dream, to be an idol! You must be a great singer…or maybe you’re in one of the other departments. Oh well, let’s be friends, ne?” Youngmin reluctantly opened his eyes and glared at her with tired eyes.

“Friends…” He studied her figure, “With you? Just go, okay?” The girl ignored him and continued chatting on in a friendly mood.

“I wonder if we’ll have the same classes. If we are, let’s sit next to each other! Oh, and what’s your number? Mine is…” At this, Youngmin finally broke. He stood up slowly, and opened his eyes, a sense of wildness running through them. Electricity seemed to spark as he leaned towards her, a hand caressing her cheek with a gentleness not known to many. His face was a mere inch away from hers, and she could smell a sweet, mint breath as he spoke.

“This was what you were after, and now you’ve got it. Go run along and tell all your friends about it, that you were just an inch away from this school’s infamous Jo Youngmin’s face. That your lips almost touched his.” Jaemi pushed him away slightly with a small, heartless laugh.

“What are you talking about?” she replied with a playful tone. Youngmin leaned back and laughed, confidence shining in his eyes.

“Transfer student, Australia, friends….it’s all a joke, isn’t it? All a plot to get something of value from Boyfriend’s Jo Youngmin. I’ve been alive long enough to know who are sincere to me and who are just one among the many fan girls tailing after me in the mornings, afternoons and evenings. Just go. I don’t need you in my life.” Jaemi stumbled backwards upon hearing this short speech, eyes filled with hurt and regret. Tears fell in small estuaries down her pale cheek as she managed to whisper,

“But I’m not lying.” Youngmin rolled his eyes and said in an exasperated tone: “You should stop now,” before pushing past her to leave the rooftop at the sound of the morning bell. Jaemi hugged herself and dried her tears as she watched the retreating figure of Youngmin.

It’s okay, Jaemi. These days of being ignored will come to an end,” She thought to herself as an atmosphere of solitude covered her.