In the Way

In the Way (oneshot)

 

Kris turned over in bed. He’s fidgety and excited that he can’t bring himself to sleep. EXO is currently in Los Angeles, they’ve just finished the SM TOWN Live in L.A. Tomorrow they’ll be boarding the place that will take them back to Seoul. Manager-hyung told them to take a rest for a couple of hours before they go to the airport –where a lot of fans are waiting for them- knowing that they are all exhausted from the live concert.

But for one important reason, he can’t sleep let alone stay still in bed. They’ll be going back, that means he’ll get to see her again, his girl, and the love of his life. He had been busy the past few months –since their debut- that they didn’t have the time to have a decent date. Thanks to these fan meetings, concerts, photo-shoots, and the never ending back-and-forth fly from Korea to China. Knowing that they’ll be given a 5-day break after they touchdown in Seoul made him quite giddy and hyped-up. That means he’ll have the whole 5 days with her.

A couple of hours passed, he was getting dressed, getting ready for their flight. Kris was checking himself out in front of the mirror whenTao came back –from God knows where.

“Duizhang?”

“I’m here!” he replied, coming out of the bathroom. He noticed that it had started to rain. Actually it had started to rain when he was taking a shower, he just didn’t notice it because the rain and the water coming out of the shower sounds the same.

“The flight got cancelled.” Tao stated dryly. “The weather doesn’t look good.”

Kris’ jaw dropped at his words.

“What?! NO!” he cursed. He stomped his way across the room and approached the huge tinted glass window. He harshly shoved the velvet curtain to the side. The whole city covered in rain was what welcomed his sight. He faced Tao again. “When’s the next flight?”

“In 2 days.”

“AISH!” Kris brought his right hand to his forehead. The maknae gave him a light pat on the shoulder before leaving him to his thoughts. When Tao was gone –again- he approached the bed and reached for his phone. He pressed 1 and hit the call button.

“Hello?” A meek voice poured out from the receiver.

“I miss you. How are you?”

“I’m missing you more but I’m fine. Congratulations by the way, for the SM Concert.”

“Thanks.” Kris lets himself fall on the bed.

“So... I guess I’m seeing you tomorrow?”

“Hmm… I’m sorry, no. Flight got cancelled; it’s raining really hard here. We’ll board in two days.” He replied, sadness evident in his voice.

“Is that so?... Well –Oh! Kris, I have to hang-up now. I still have class.”

“Okay. Take care, I love you.”

“Be careful. I love you more.”

The line ended…

 

2 Days later…

11 hours after they boarded the plane, the flight from L.A. to Seoul touched down moments ago. SM Town artists are currently scrambling their way to the arrival area where their cars are waiting for them. After passing through the huge crowd, EXO finally got inside their van. As soon as Kris had settled himself down at the back seat, he hurriedly pulled out his phone and dialed a familiar number. There was no answer. When he hung-up, he glanced at his phone and noticed that he had a message. He immediately opened it, knowing that it’s from her.

‘Kris-ah, I’m sorry. We can’t meet tomorrow. There’s a family emergency, I need to go home to Gwangyang. I don’t know when I’ll be back. I love you. See you when I see you.

His heart fell at the message. He was so eager to see her but then something came up again. He slumped back to his seat and muttered a curse. Chanyeol, who was sitting beside him, threw a concerned look.

“Hyung what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” He replied then turned his back on the younger and closed his eyes.

 

2 weeks later…

“Finally, we’re seeing each other tonight.” Kris said joyfully. She came back 2 days ago. Kris has schedule for the day but he expects it to end early this evening. EXO will be filming a reality show that will be aired in Mnet.

“Yes. So where are we going?”

“Nowhere. I’ll just drop by your apartment after my schedule.”

Okay. I’ll wait for you.”

“Bye. I love you.”

“I love you more Wu Fan.”

The day went on with Kris and the other members taping for their newest show.  It was already 9 in the evening but the taping hasn’t ended yet. He asked the manager what time this would finish. Their manager told them that they still have a lot to tape and it may end at near dawn. He mentally cursed; again they wouldn’t be seeing each other. He quickly went back to work and did his best so that the taping would end quickly.

 

3:00 AM…

Kris is in the car, on the way to her house. After dropping off the other members in their dorm, he asked their driver if he could take him somewhere. The driver told him that she might already be asleep since it’s very late but he insisted on going. He hoped and prayed that she’s still awake, waiting for him. They arrived at the area; Kris glanced at the familiar apartment. There were no lights on. It only means that she’s already asleep. He took is phone and dialed her number. There was no answer. He hung-up and glanced at the driver.

“Let’s go.” The driver nodded and drove away.

That morning, Kris went to bed with a heavy heart.  He really misses her so bad. He hadn’t seen her for 6 months and now it seems as if the world is getting in the way for them to be together. He closed his tired eyes and hoped for a better tomorrow.

A soft brushing of his hair awoke Kris. He groaned, it was still very early in the morning. He turned, facing his back to whoever has just disrupted his sleep. The brushing stopped, seconds after, he felt a pair of arms circle around his bare torso, followed by a soft kiss on his nape. He turned again, facing the person, he slowly opened his eyes.

He smiled, a soon as he recognized the person in front of him. He sneaked an arm on her waist, pulled her and hugged her tightly.

“Good Morning sleepyhead.” She teased.

“I love you too.” Kris said before giving her a passionate kiss that they never have shared in 6 months.