'Ontae'

The Meaning of 'Ontae'

SHINee came to Singapore for a performance in an event called ‘Boyz Nite Out’. Obviously, only male groups performed at the event and SHINee got the honor to be in it along with Teen Top, B1A4, 7942 and Jay Park.

Everyone performed great on stage and it was finally SHINee’s turn to go up there. All the members, minus Minho who couldn’t make it, could hear the cheers and screams coming from the fans out there. They knew they will never get tired of it.

They performed 5 of their hit songs including Replay, Ring Ding Dong, Lucifer, Stranger and Sherlock. The crowd loved their performance and SHINee loved the crowds too.

Jinki was dancing, singing and having fun until a bright and flashy red light on his left caught his attention. He quickly noticed that it was written in Hangeul. It was a red LED board with ‘Ontae’ written on it. He frowned for a bit as he saw the girl who was holding on to it, waving the LED board with so much excitement in her face.

Nobody else seemed to pay much attention to it though. But Jinki couldn’t tear his eyes away from that board. What does Ontae mean to the girl who happily held it up?

‘Boyz Nite Out’ ended in a flash. They all said their goodbye to the fans who came that night. SHINee would love to stay the night in Singapore and eat the famous Singaporean Chili Crab but they had to leave as soon as possible due to their schedule.

“That was fun, huh? Too bad we couldn’t stay longer.” Taemin said once they were in the plane back to Korea. It would take roughly 6 hours to get back to Korea and they were all tired but still excited from their performance. Key and Jonghyun sat side by side while Taemin and Jinki sat across them.

“Yeah it was. It brings back memories of our concert and Key’s birthday party last year.” Jonghyun chimed in. He patted Key’s hand and Key smiled.

“Hyung, as cool as it was for you to replace Minho during his rap part in Sherlock, I was kind of scared when you jumped over me. We only practiced that part twice.” Taemin and Jonghyun laughed at Key’s confession.

“But I agree with you, hyung. Jinki hyung looked so cool doing Minho hyung’s parts! I think I like it better when Jinki hyung did it instead of Minho hyung.” Taemin absent mindedly said.

“I’m going to tell Minho once we meet up with him, Tae!” Jonghyun teased the maknae. Taemin panicked and put his finger on his lips, begging Jonghyun to keep it a secret. They all laughed except for the leader who was quiet ever since they got on the van on their way to the airport.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Key asked Jinki once he noticed the leader was staring off to space.

“Huh? Oh. Yeah. I’m good.” Key looked at Jonghyun and Taemin, seeing as if they knew something about Jinki’s silence and awkward behavior. But both just shook their head. Key continued his conversation with Jonghyun and Taemin just observed his eldest hyung.

Jinki was in his own world. His thoughts kept coming back to what he saw during the concert. It’s as if it was imprinted in his mind and it wouldn’t get out.

Ontae.

Ontae.

Ontae.

Ontae.

It was stuck.

“Hyung are you sure you’re okay?” Taemin tapped his arm and he snapped out of his thoughts.

“Hm. Yeah, I’m fine, Taemin.” Jinki looked over to Jonghyun and Key. They were sleeping peacefully with Key’s head on Jonghyun’s shoulder. Then he heard Taemin yawning and stretching his limbs.

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” He asked the maknae. Taemin rubbed his watery eyes and stared at Jinki, blinking away some of the moisture.

“I got worried when you went all silent like that, hyung. So I just stayed awake in case you want to talk to me or something.” Taemin smiled brightly. Jinki softly chuckled and patted the younger’s head.

“So?” Taemin continued. Jinki looked at him and cocked his head in confusion.

“Tell me what’s on your mind, hyung.” Taemin held Jinki’s hand. Jinki could only look down on their clasped hands.

“Ontae.” Jinki mumbled absentmindedly. Taemin heard it but he couldn’t understand why his hyung said that.

“Ontae?” Taemin said again. Jinki nodded slowly.

“Back at the concert there was a girl who had an LED board with ‘Ontae’ written on it.” Jinki explained. Taemin racked his brains and vaguely remembered someone holding a red LED board but he didn’t pay too much attention to make out what was written on it.

“Oh. Okay. What’s up with it?” Taemin wondered if that was the thing that made Jinki so quiet.

“What is it?” Jinki looked at Taemin with genuine confusion in his eyes.

“Isn’t it like Jonghyun hyung and Key hyung’s ‘Jongkey’ except with our names on it?” Jinki shook his head slowly.

“I know that. I mean… What is Ontae? Is it just a phrase created by the fans so it’s easier for them to tag videos and pictures of us? Is it an expectation of the fans for us to be close? Is it something that just came up so randomly? Or is it this?” Jinki held up their intertwined hands.

“Is this Ontae?” Jinki stared at Taemin. Taemin’s face suddenly tinted pink as he looked at their hands. Jinki brought Taemin’s hand to his lips.

“Is this Ontae too?” Jinki’s voice was muffled by Taemin’s fingers. Taemin’s blush only deepened.

“What about this?” Jinki let go of Taemin’s hand and caressed his cheek. Taemin avoided Jinki’s eyes and looked down.

“Hyung…” Jinki released Taemin’s face and laughed nervously.

“Ah, forget what I just said, Taemin. Anyways you should-“ Jinki was surprised when he felt Taemin’s soft lips upon his. It was just lips on lips, nothing more than that. But Jinki felt something bubbly in his stomach as if he just swallowed a gallon of soda. Taemin pulled away with a grin and a deep blush on his cheeks.

“That’s Ontae too, right, hyung?” Taemin giggled. Jinki ruffled the maknae’s hair and gently pinched his cheek.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Taemin lifted the armrest that separated them then hugged Jinki’s arm.

“I think Ontae doesn’t mean any of the things you said. I think Ontae means Taemin loves hyung.” Taemin snuggled closer and Jinki draped a blanket over them. He let Taemin rested his head on his shoulder as he rested his head on top of Taemin’s.

“I think Ontae means I love you too, Tae.” They chuckled to themselves and closed their eyes to catch some much needed sleep.

Jongkey, on the other hand, giggled as they peeked over to see the smiling Ontae.


A/N : Well OnTaeSupporter and other readers, I hope you enjoyed this one :D
Forgive me for any kinds of mistakes!

Please do leave a comment. That'll make me happy :3
Happy phiiee is a girl that will make more fluffy Ontae fics :3