Part i

The Boy Who Leapt Through Time

 

 

 

"Crap, crap!" Baekhyun has half his arm in a chokehold with his brother's neck, "Why didn't you bother to wake me up? I’m going to be late!"

"It's none of my business if you're late for school!" Kyungsoo rebuts, hands trying to pry himself off from the elder's deadlock.

"Yes it is! Now get the hell off me!" Baekhyun yells, limbs still entangled in the morning wrestle with his brother.

"You're the one grabbing onto me!"

"And this is for making me miss breakfast! Take my fist of fury!" Baekhyun shouts while punching Kyungsoo in the stomach as hard as he can (in the position they were, of course).

"Mom! Baekhyun is punching me!"

"You-!"

"Mo-"

Baekhyun runs out of the door and practically dashes out for the lift, then climbing onto his bicycle and quickly cycling off. He cycles down the street, laughing to himself as he sees how a couple other students were trying to run to school. "ers!" he yells as he cycles next to them, gaining speed after he sees one of them trying to grab onto the back of his bike.

"Baekhyun!"

"Chanyeol?"

The former quickly catches up on Baekhyun, his grin evidence of how he's seen Baekhyun almost caught by one of the track seniors. "You’ve gotta stop playing games with them. They will get you one day."

"And that's just not today." Baekhyun says, with the other laughing along.

"What's that?" Chanyeol lets his eyes flicker from Baekhyun to the bag on his bike.

Not to say, Chanyeol wasn't doing a really good job in trying to peep into the brown paper bag in the other's front basket, while riding a bike and focusing on the road as he narrowly crashes into a light pole. Nonetheless, he manages to regain his hold on the bike before swerving behind Baekhyun and riding next to him.

“Extreme sports!" Chanyeol announces as he snorts.

"Focus on the road!" Baekhyun bellowed.

"You only live once!" the other cheers, unable to stop the laughter from leaving his lips.

"STOP THAT!" Baekhyun wobbles a little on his bicycle, “It’s dangerous, Chanyeol!”

“Don’t be such a wet blanket, Byunbaek!”

It's more than difficult to handle someone like Chanyeol – he doesn’t know why but Chanyeol's sort of an extremist. Or maybe he's just an extremely optimistic fella. Whichever suits him best, but either way, having known him for a little more than three years (three years and five months or so, considering that they are halfway into the school year) makes things easier.

By the time they’d arrived in school, they were two minutes late into Math. Nonetheless, they were glad to know that Mr Kim hasn’t arrived yet, which is definitely an unusual occurrence from an usual punctuality obsessed person like him.

“Glad to see that you guys made it. Honestly thought the both of you would just skip Math in total.”

“Glad to see you too, Sehun!” Chanyeol slings an arm across Sehun’s neck.

“He’s coming, hurry up and get back to your seats!” someone yells from the corner of the room, tables and chairs screeching and coming to a halt all of a sudden.

"See this stack? It’s your assignment for the lesson. Aren’t all of you glad?”

A low-pitched groan reverberates throughout the entire class as twenty something male students whines in unison.

“All right, so I'm counting on the fact that all of you have studied for this math test. Marks will be deducted for nameless hand-ins, so make sure everything has been filled in. I'll be watching all of you like a hawk so don't even think of cheating. Thank you, take a piece and pass the rest down the row. It's April thirteenth in case any of you lazy asses forgot."

Baekhyun snaps out of dreamland as he hears the annoyed tone from Wufan, telling him to just take the damn paper already. He grabs them, taking a piece before letting the entire stack of paper slip out of his hands, causing them to fly around the entire class thanks to the amazing breeze from the windows.

"Crap." 

"Thanks, Byun." Baekhyun hears a couple of the students sneering at him.

Damn these butter fingers! 

Looking to his left, he sees Chanyeol chuckling at him. He roughly makes out a Yolo leaving the other's lips as he glares back.

So everything else that is happening at this point isn't exactly relevant — the most important point is that Baekhyun ends up sleeping through the paper, only waking up for the last ten minutes when the teacher announces, well, they had ten minutes left. He rubs his eyes, realizing that his paper's very much plain with the exception of the printing. Having mixing up the name and date, he erases and remembers he's had it written down in pen.

Baekhyun swears he's going to beat the out of Kyungsoo when he was back from cram school. That bastard was blasting hip-indie songs out of the new speakers Mom had gotten him for his birthday. Mom didn’t even get him for his birthday!

"Can this day get any worse?" he mutters to himself only to get shushed by the teacher.

Ugh just let me die! He groans internally, hand smacking down on the table.

“Byun Baekhyun!”

“Sorry!” Baekhyun half whispers as he hears a couple of chuckles behind.

Handing in his paper was pretty difficult as the teacher stares down at him, really just wondering why it was crumpled and cancelled out at the top. Mr Kim sighs, preferring to prop his glasses back on the top of his nose bridge and heading on to the other students.

Correction: Other students worthy of his time.

No matter, this isn't really unusual. Baekhyun has never been the ace in anything he did, probably other than getting into trouble (which he does best), he doesn't really have a forte. The worst part? Both his best friends are good-looking asswipes who are pretty much perfect in academics. Sehun is an all-time distinction scorer, and Chanyeol's just a lazy genius. Other than that, both are mean to him and whatnot.

He strolls down the courtyard, hands swinging by his side as he ponders over just how badly he’d score on his test (if he manages to get even something right). At this rate, he's never going to graduate from high school — working as a janitor or cashier at the fast food restaurant or something. Well, he can sing. Maybe not as good as one would expect of a singer, but y’know, good enough. Whatever is in store for him, he bets it’s going to kill his parents’ dream for him to be a doctor. He’s not Sehun, and his parents aren’t operating a hospital, you can’t blame a child for not having dreams in the line that their parents don’t dabble in. They’ve still got Kyungsoo as their backup plan when the worst does come true. 


Baekhyun sighs, letting his shoulders sag as he continues walking to home-ed.

“Byun!” he hears a husky voice calling from behind, “I’ll see how you cycle away now.” 

The guy whom he was horsing around with in the morning! 

“I hope you’re ready for some one-to-one Judo lessons.”






Other than having to go to home-ed class with a bloody nose and dirtied uniform (which Chanyeol reacted exactly how Baekhyun had imagined to, "I told you they'd get you. You really deserved it."), he had managed to set his neighbour’s apron on fire and Zitao had to awkwardly spray the fire extinguisher on Suho's crotch. Also, he had dropped a cabbage into the oil when he trips on Wufan's shoes, causing another fire.

"Good job, Byun." Baekhyun hears another round of sarcastic appreciation as he threads himself out of the kitchen, and onto the chair outside after the home-ed teacher sends him out.

Today was really not his day.

Other than messing up his Math paper, he had managed to get caught by a senior who was skilled in martial arts, and also set his classmates on fire. Baekhyun stands by the windows, looking at how the other students in his bench were avoiding his seat like a plague.

Right.

Just call it the Plague of Byun.

It’s just… It hasn’t been the nicest day of the year (or his entire life) and the dumb horoscope on the web says that a pleasant surprise would come by at the end of the day. With the way things are going, he’s about to end the day with another punch in his eye and get thrown off the school rooftop by the Taekwondo champ in their class. Everything just wasn’t going the way he had wanted to. Baekhyun was supposed to be happy today, talk to his class councilor about the university majors and hand in his university choices.

…Not get kicked in the by bad luck.

Son of a . If this day gets any worse I don’t know what I should do. 

Time passed excruciatingly slow, listening to the fun laughter from the kitchen didn’t make things any better, either. He would peek through the translucent windowpanes, the dusty glass panels and groan at his clumsiness. As soon as the school bell rang, Baekhyun re-entered the class, pulling off the string of the apron, only to realize that he had made a dead knot beforehand.

Chanyeol could only shake his head and comfortingly pat him on the back as he cuts off one end of the knot.

"Thanks, man." Baekhyun sighs.

“You’ve had a tough day, Baek. Just grab a rest during lunch.”

Baekhyun nods, walking lifelessly behind Chanyeol while pulling on the back of his uniform. At least he didn’t have to worry about messing up with Chanyeol fending him in the front.

Or so he’d thought.

He feels a hand hovering behind him, pushing him by the shoulders, and almost hitting the numerous potted plants by the stairway. If Chanyeol hadn’t grabbed him by the hand, Baekhyun might’ve fallen down the stairs and scored himself a concussion.

“Hey! What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Chanyeol shouts.

And could Baekhyun just mention that it was the very first time he had seen Chanyeol getting mad? In the span of three long years of having known both Sehun and Chanyeol, neither of them have gotten mad once, and being able to witness Chanyeol raging once before they graduate and leave for their separate ways is something pleasant.

“Someone could have gotten seriously hurt!” Chanyeol glares at them before turning back to Baekhyun, “Byunbaek, are you okay?”

“I… think so.”

So he was kidding — Baekhyun was terrified. Was he already the public enemy? He didn’t really mean to set Suho’s apron on fire! It just… sort of spread from the piece of serviette which had caught fire. Suho had happened to be near the point where Baekhyun had tried to throw the piece of lighted tissue into the sink.

“Chanyeol, you shouldn’t be defending this jinx. His bad luck will rub onto you.” Jonghyun says smugly.

“No matter what, Baekhyun didn’t do any of those on purpose. He’s just been having a bad day, and doesn’t deserve to be bullied by any of you!” Chanyeol rebuts.

“Fine, fine. Don’t blame us for not warning you when you do get into trouble.” Kibum shrugs, pulling Jonghyun away by the elbow with a soft ‘hmph, let’s go, Jjong.’ 

Baekhyun whimpers when Chanyeol’s hold on his hand tightens. He honestly doesn’t know what to be afraid of more; being bullied or witnessing Chanyeol getting mad.

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol mutters.

He was surprised. What more did Chanyeol have to apologize? “Why are you apologizing, Chanyeol? If anyone should be saying it, it should be me! And you totally saved my life, dude!” Baekhyun exclaims, hand reaching over to pat Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“Every hero deserves a good patting on the back!” he smiles and sticks his tongue out.

“I didn’t manage to stop them from bullying you… What if they come back again? We’re having different classes after lunch, they’d get you then, for sure!” Chanyeol rubs the back of Baekhyun’s neck.

“I know how to protect myself, so you don’t have to worry, Chanyeol. Promise me you’d focus in class, okay? Now let’s go for lunch before Sehun nags at us for being late!”

“Baekhyun, wait.” Chanyeol utters before closing the distance between them, leaning down and letting their foreheads touch, “Just… Promise me you’ll stay safe… Even when I’m gone, all right?”

Baekhyun stares at the other, eyes widened and surprised by the sudden action from Chanyeol. He lets his surprise dissolve away and giggles. “I’m very sure that I’ll stay safe when you’re not around, Chanyeol! It’s just for four hours, then we’ll meet again. We’re in school, what can happen? Now let’s go, I’m starving, Chanyeol! Pretty please with cherry on top, buy me bread?”

Chanyeol lets out a chuckle and nods lightly while ruffling the other boy’s hair, gaining himself a pinch on his legs.

“Don’t think because you’re like a thousand feet taller than me means that you can show disrespect to your elders!” Baekhyun grumbles.

“Yes, hyung~” Chanyeol sings.

Somehow, Baekhyun finds comfort in the way Chanyeol doesn’t loosen his grip on Baekhyun’s hands as they made their way down to the front yard. It was sort of their thing, sitting under a large tree, and especially during autumn, where the leaves would flutter off the sturdy branches. Chanyeol saunters back to their spot, holding onto a packet of set lunch and a couple of breads bought from the school cafeteria.

“Got your favourite, sweet potato bread. They were starting to sell mochi bread, so I’d decided to get a few flavours to try.” Chanyeol takes his seat next to Baekhyun on the grass.

“Thanks.” Baekhyun smiles as he grabs onto the bag.

Maybe it was an after-effect from the shock he had earlier on, but Baekhyun finds himself being unable to settle. The latter stares up into the sky, taking in a deep breath and exhaling. He randomly picks out a bread, seeing as how Chanyeol had already dug into his rice. There was no way Baekhyun could swallow rice after what has just happened… His jaw still hurts from the punch he received from the Judo senior! Thinking back, Baekhyun was really looking for trouble by taunting them in the morning, wasn’t he?

Baekhyun hides his face into his knees as he sees Sehun approaching them, his hands slightly squeezing the plastic with bread in it.

"You all right, hyung?" had been the first thing Sehun said.

He was pretty sure the entire school knew about his stunts during home-ed by now. If Sehun knew something was up, everyone should — Sehun wasn't the type to gossip, so...

"I'm not fine! You're not even in any classes with me, how did you know what happened?" he shouts feebly while angrily biting into the flattened bread.

"I overheard a couple of them talking about it." he brushes the question off, settling himself next to Baekhyun.

Looking over to Chanyeol, Sehun smiles weakly while sprawling himself all over the grass beneath them. Baekhyun continues biting into the pastry as stares at a beetle crawling at the sidewalk. He leans his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder, reaching into the black plastic and grabbing another bread out. Baekhyun sniffs at the bread, frowning at the weird smell before biting into it (and he was pleasantly surprised. It was the second surprise of the day, if he may say so. The first being Chanyeol getting mad at Jonghyun for pushing him.).

Baekhyun places the unfinished bread back into the plastic, before laying next to Sehun. None of what had happened was his fault, it was just a bad day. It'll blow over soon. He'd just stop by Aunt Jung's house for a cup of tea and to pass her the biscuits his mom had baked for her (which was what almost caused Chanyeol to crash into a light pole, by the way).

"Hey, guys?" Baekhyun stretches his hand into the sky, as though he'd wanted to catch the clouds drifting aimlessly — freely.

"Have any of you decided what you're going to do after high school?"

Sehun clears his throat, sitting up and supporting his upper body on his straightened arms. "What's there for me to plan? My parents' have decided it all. Graduate from a med school, join the hospital and work in a dead-end job as a cardiologist for the rest of my life." he says, trailing off at the end.

"Affairs of the heart, huh?" Chanyeol shakes his head.

"Ha." Sehun sniggers.

Baekhyun giggles and continues smiling into nothing.

"What 'bout 'chu, Chanyeol?" he says, turning over to look at the other brunette.

Chanyeol was a little stumped; he had never thought of things from that territory. "I dunno. Get into college and I'll decide from there. It's all foundation and whatnot in the first few months, isn't it?"

"I- Wha—!" Baekhyun was cut off short as a guy landed on him.

Baekhyun! was the last thing he hears before he blacks out.






He wakes up approximately six minutes and twenty-eight seconds later, hearing Kyungsoo's voice.

"Hyung," he says.

"Hyung, come here." he says it twice this time.






"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol shouts.

He has Baekhyun's head resting on his knees, hands lightly slapping his cheeks. "Can you hear me, Baekhyun? Baekhyun!"

Chanyeol was worried. What if Baekhyun gets a fracture somewhere when the fell on him?

Sehun was worried over the way Chanyeol worries over him.

What if…?

…Forget it.

The unknown boy was guilty for landing on Baekhyun and the other was sorry for letting his grip on the pair of legs loosen. Everyone else there was there just for the drama.

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol scoops the mentioned boy into his embrace as he sees the other opening his eyes.

"I'm so glad you're safe." Chanyeol whispers into his ears before he was sent to the infirmary, carried on the taller boy's back.

"Where's Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun asks, as he was being laid on the dull sheets of the infirmary bed.

Chanyeol looks over to Sehun, who seemed equally puzzled.

"What do you mean?" they asked in unison.

"I heard him calling for me earlier on..." Baekhyun meekly says, hand still gripping onto his hair for the upcoming headache he was about to have.

Sehun smiles, bending over and covering Baekhyun with the blanket. "You must've been dreaming. Get some rest. We still have classes to get back to."

"But it seemed so real..."

"We'll come back for you after class." Chanyeol let his hands linger on Baekhyun's shoulder a little longer than what people would deem as friends. 






It had taken quite a while for Baekhyun to fall asleep, but it was well worth. He had dreamt of nice things that he was sure would never happen in reality. He'd love to see a green elephant prancing around the Stonehenge someday, which was for sure. Either that or he was just exhausted from the happenings from today. He was rather sure that even the strongest would break down from all the crap that was thrown at him.

A loud bump along the medical cabinets woke him up, glass medical equipment clinking. Inhaling sharply, Baekhyun could roughly make out a human's shadow in the dark with the drop down curtains allowing a minimal amount of light in from outside. Was someone hurt and needed to rest as well? But why didn’t the school nurse tell them that the infirmary was currently in use?

"W-Who's there?" Baekhyun stammers out, pulling the blanket over his chin.

“Hyung!” 

There it was again!

Funny that the voice was sort of deep?

"Kyungsoo?" he removes the covers and steps on the parquet flooring.

A quick flash from his side frightens Baekhyun, causing him to stumble and fall onto the ground. Just as his face was about to meet the floor, there was a bright speckle of red light and he was falling into eternity.

Falling into a place where everything was just colors and waves and he didn't know what else. Contours and red and blue and black and rhinos?

Wait, am I dead? Is this reality? Am I in heaven and holy , rhinos! 

He flailed his arms around, trying to get out of the stampede in case he got trampled all over by the overweight unicorns. "What on earth?!" he yells at the top of his lungs and in the next second, he was staring right at the same sky he was a few hours back together with Chanyeol and Sehun.

The clouds were so close...

And he fell right back on the parquet floor with a loud thud.

What the hell was that? D-Did I just… Imagine all of that? Was it… All just… A dream? 

Baekhyun guesses that Kyungsoo really did pull a good one on him. Either that or he was really on the verge on having mental problems. Who in the world would have weird dreams like this? Even to the extent of falling off the bed while sleeping! He was going to complain to mom that Kyungsoo wasn’t sleeping by his bedtime curfew. That asswipe was going down. He’s just going to put all the blame of being unable to study on Kyungsoo. That should teach him not to mess with his elder brother.

Climbing back onto the infirmary bed, Baekhyun sighs and groans into his clothed arm. But really, just what was that dream? Everything and everyone was messing with his head today. Kyungsoo still takes the biggest blame, whatever. Anyways, he should’ve been sleeping for quite some time. His head still pounds and jaw still aches like .

As though someone who knew martial arts sent some serious upper cutting to his jaw with their hands of steel. God damned Han Chunglim. If the principle knew of what happened, Chunglim would be sent to detention for two consecutive weeks or so… But only if Baekhyun was daring enough to put himself into danger first. It wasn’t nice to cause the Judo to go captain-less for two weeks. They’d hunt Baekhyun down even if it meant having the entire team practice on hold.

Speaking of which, what time was it? Shouldn’t Sehun and Chanyeol be picking him up now? Unless they’ve totally forgotten about him, but that was impossible! They’ve never gone back without him before — or it was just Baekhyun being clingy and insisted on having the three of them walking home together.

Crap, I’m overthinking things again. 

Which was really true. Ever since he was left at the supermarket when Baekhyun was six, he had grown to hate detachment; needing someone to be there every single moment of his life (other than when he was home, that was).

But they… Wouldn’t do that, would they…?

“Chanyeol…” Baekhyun mutters under his breath.

“You called?” The door slides open at the same time, familiar laughter filling the air, “Hope you didn’t miss us too much!”

“My goodness! You gave me a scare!” Baekhyun buries himself into the bundle of sheet.

Chanyeol kneels next to the infirmary bed, hands gliding on the sheets. “Wow, Sehun! The bed is really horrible; does your hospital have the same kind of bed as well? You really need to change them if they are! Come here and touch it as well! You see?” He says as he rubs circles with his palms on the polyester.

Sehun politely rejects, shaking his head and looks over to the boy lying still on the bed. “Baekh-“

“Byunbaek! We’re here to you home!” Chanyeol interrupts, smile wide as though the sun shone out of Baekhyun’s .

Baekhyun thinks he sees a grimace on Sehun’s face as Chanyeol grabs onto his hand, pulling him up and carrying his bag for him. No matter, he was probably hallucinating again, it’s been a tiring day, and all Baekhyun wants most was for to just drop the damn biscuits down at Aunt Jung’s house and go home to sleep. It was that simple.

“Let’s go! To the bicycle stands we head for!” Chanyeol cheerily says, pulling onto Baekhyun’s vest and waltzing past Sehun.

Baekhyun realizes that the youngest out of all of them was staring at the now creased vest where Chanyeol was grabbing onto.

“Sehun,” Baekhyun whispers, ‘Let’s go!’ he mouths as he grabs onto Sehun’s hands, smiling and warming up more than just Sehun’s hand.

“So hyung, did you have a good rest in the infirmary?” Sehun starts, smile still unwilling to fade away as he peeks glances at their entwined fingers.

Baekhyun hesitates a little, biting down on his lower lip as he contemplates on whether he should tell them. If he does come clean, they’d probably just think he’s just a psychotic case…

“Yeah…” Baekhyun murmurs, only to stop and think again.

But on the other hand, if he doesn’t, he’d feel all uncomfortable and somehow leak it out anyways.

“No — actually not. I had the weirdest dream ever. I still think it’s real. But listen — I’ll only tell you guys what happened if you promise not to tell anyone, alright?” He waits for hums of approval from both males before continuing.

“You see… Before you guys arrived, I was woken up by a loud sound from the medicine cabinets. It sounded as though something large had fallen from a height. Okay, so it’s going to get ridiculous from here, so — no laughing!” Baekhyun tightens his grip on Sehun’s hand, only to get a comforting smile in return.

“I was really petrified, but then I heard Kyungsoo’s voice. I thought it was a prank and all, so I stood up, but stepped on something and fell face first. And the problem was the process of falling! Before I landed onto the ground, it was as though I was in a myriad of… heaven or something. Maybe I died and resurrected, but there were colours and twirly shapes like those giant lollipops you see in old shows? Oh — also rhinos! Hoards and hoards of them! Like, then, but wait — clouds… Did I see them before or after… Right! I was touching the clouds! Then I…” Baekhyun stops.

Those two were laughing at him.

“It’s probably a nightmare, Byunbaek. Maybe Jongin’s made such a huge impression on you, his crap gave you horrid imageries.” Chanyeol chuckled.

He knew he shouldn't have told either of them. Those two little heads would make a dig at him at every chance they had. It wasn't even funny anymore -- Chanyeol would pretend to trip and add a snarky remark like 'Oh, I think I see kittens!'. At least Sehun would have the initiative to hold back his laughter.

It wasn't that Baekhyun was a petty guy but... It had all been so surreal. It was... so real. He couldn't touch his surroundings, of course, but for a second... it felt as though he'd touched the clouds. So dense and wet. Or another explanation would be he'd started crying because he was a wimp.

Baekhyun starts running towards the bicycle shack when he spots the rusty roof covered with fallen autumn leaves. Every step he took crushed the crunchy withered plant leaf.

"Piss off." Baekhyun yells, annoyed with the fact that Chanyeol wouldn't stop dissing him.

"Hey, where you goin'?" Chanyeol stares at Baekhyun, puzzled that he had already mounted his bike.

"Off to pass Aunt Jung something." he replies, waving Chanyeol off, "Bye Sehun!"

"Wait, you're leaving me here with this boring guy?" Chanyeol shouts.

"You're the boring one." Sehun pushes the other jokingly.

"Whatever, I've got game, you don't and you know it all right?" Chanyeol looks down at Sehun from his framed glasses.

" you."

“Yeah, you wish you coulda’!”






Baekhyun hadn't been focusing. All he could think off was how surreal it felt. It was just too real to be just a dream. Kyungsoo was there. He heard his voice. How could Chanyeol say it was merely a nightmare after the bump on his head Jongin's made when he fell on him? And what in the world was that unearthly flash of red light? Was that Kyungsoo playing a trick on him? He was going to get that little hard when he went home. Like, go hardcore and all.

Baekhyun glances to his side, the digital clock at the fruit stall showed that it was four pm. The late afternoon radio show started to blast out off the stereo system, the DJ speaking enthusiastically about how optimistic the weather has been since morning despite being in the rainy season. There were little children playing at the side of their mothers, faces lighting up with the array of items being sold in the market.

The train track barrier was currently down, waiting for the train to pass by. It was something that happened daily at four p.m, where the level crossing was in full-effect. There were people rushing home, tapping their feet impatiently behind the barriers. About thirty feet away from the crossing, Baekhyun decides that un-mounting the bike and walking down would be a good idea, and honestly, it would’ve been the best idea to do so — had Baekhyun not realize that the brakes on his bike were faulty.

He shouts, crying for help and for someone to stop the damn bicycle. Baekhyun was speeding down the sloped street, immediately headed for the level crossing. If he wasn’t getting a ticket straight to his death, he would’ve shouted a damn ‘my brakes are ing faulty!’ at the shouting passer-by’s, telling him that the train was coming.





Twenty feet away from the level crossing and Baekhyun was crying for his unlived life. The heavens must really hate him to continuously put his words to testing.





Fifteen feet away from the level crossing and he hears the loud churning of both the oncoming train and his stomach. So he was really going to die this way? Okay, so let him make things clear, he keeps his body in one piece, and they can take his soul to be the reaper for all they’d wanted.





Ten feet away from the crossing and he thinks he’s crying. Or chanting. Maybe if he’d studied for his test, none of these would’ve happened. If he hadn’t tripped over Wufan’s shoes, he wouldn’t have caused the fire and made himself get all mopey — then both Chanyeol and him would’ve had lunch in the cafeteria instead.





So, five feet away and Baekhyun’s pretty sure he’s pissed his pants. He sees the train moving, and hey, it’s definitely moving much faster than when you’re just a common onlooker.





The moment the head of his bike hits the rails, Baekhyun feels himself being lifted off the ground, the tyre of his bike lightly grazing the side of his hands before being thrown even higher than he was. At this position, Baekhyun could see the gaping strangers, though he could hear absolutely nothing. It didn’t take much, just the bright headlights from the train, and all he could think of was I don’t wanna die.





Baekhyun sees his life flashing across his mind once again, Chanyeol’s face lingering for the longest; the way he smiled and his eyes would twitch.





There was a bright light in front of his eyes, and Baekhyun shuts them in terror of what was about to come, when —





Bam!





"What's wrong with you? You could've hit the child!"

Huh? 

"Hey! I demand an apology!"

"What?" Baekhyun blinked his eyes.

Everyone was looking in his direction, sending dirty glances all around. His bicycle had skidded three feet away, the biscuits in his front basket were unharmed though.

"Hey, kid!"

Baekhyun turned to look, only to see the lady from the fruit stall holding onto a little boy. This is weird.

"I-I'm sorry."

"Watch where you're going next time!" she shouted.

"I'm so sorry!"

Baekhyun stood up, walking over to help both the lady and child stand up, brushing the knees of the little boy at the same time. As he gets his bike to stand, the late evening radio show blasted off the stereo system. Baekhyun glances off to the fruit store, the digital clock flashing obnoxious digits stating that it was four in the afternoon. The very same DJ spoke about how optimistic the weather has been since morning despite being in the rainy season. The kids were once again playing by the side of their parents, and high school students were filling up the streets now.

What? 

Didn't he get into an accident with the train just moments ago? He swore he was at the traffic junction when he'd gotten into the accident. His brakes were spoilt, and he was speeding down the slope with everyone shouting, telling him to stop before it was too late. This… Was he actually dreaming while riding his bike? Baekhyun could clearly see that he was currently approximately fifty feet away, and he was very sure that he was right in front of the barriers of the level crossing.

Grabbing onto the handlebars of the bikes, he pressed down on the brakes. They're faulty. 

Walking down the slope with his broken bike, he watches as the train passes by at the speed of a snail (but he was pretty sure the train was going really fast when he was about to get hit).

Just what was going on? 

He throws a half-hearted smile at the concerned adults who’d asked if he was fine; being unable to fully comprehend what had just happened. It was impossible for Baekhyun to have made such a mistake, like dreaming while riding his bicycle or something. It definitely wasn’t a dream, and it probably wasn’t due to the earlier events either.

Baekhyun stares while the barriers were being lifted up from opposite sides finally letting the pedestrians walk. He continues pressing down on the brakes, causing a soft squeak to go off to show that it was, indeed,faulty. Was he once again resurrected? If he did, then he must’ve already died once when he’d fallen, right?

The streetlights were gradually getting brighter as the night approached — something Baekhyun had always found comfort in. Anyways, he had to rush to Aunt Jung’s before it had gotten too late. The night itself brought creeps to him, for some specific reason. He guesses that it’s just since he’s always alone at night, and the idea of being alone was disheartening.

By the time he’d reached the museum (the make-shift house of Aunt Jung), it was well seven-fifteen. Baekhyun calls her on the phone, making sure that she’d be right there beside him to ensure the security wouldn’t catch him once again. One time was enough, thank you.

“Baekhyun, I’d like to show you something we head towards my office.” She gently pulls him towards the door right next to the room they were headed for.

The door creaks open, revealing a huge canvas in the middle of the room. There was… Something about the painting which Baekhyun couldn’t put his finger on. The colours being applied were simply majestic. The monochromatic colouring complemented the warmth feelings being exuded.

“I’ve been trying to restore this painting for the longest time. The origin of this painting is unknown; we do not know of the period it was from, or the painter who had managed to finish such a masterpiece. It’s not completed, but soon.” Aunt Jung murmurs, sighing at the end.

“It’s… Beautiful.” Baekhyun raises a hand to touch the canvas, only to pull himself back, “How long more do you think it’ll take? For you to complete it, that is.”

“I don’t know. The colours are still faded, and do not match the untouched sides. A month or so, at the fastest.” Jessica shrugs.

“Ah…”

“Let’s go, you came here for a purpose, didn’t you? And what’s up with the dirty uniform? You fell into a mudpond?” She jokes while lightly pulling on Baekhyun’s arm, leading him to the other room.

Baekhyun only throws a slight glare over to Aunt Jung, entering the office and pulling out the biscuit container. The paper bag which was used to keep the biscuits were torn from the fall he had earlier on.

"These are from my mom." He places the tin on her desk before settling on the opposite couch.

"Ah, the cookies she promised half a century ago." Jessica jokingly accepted the sealed biscuits, "So, what did you say was so urgent on the phone again?"

"Okay, you might want to find a chair to sit, and you have to promise me you wouldn't fall over laughing because it's real. I swear. I told both Chanyeol and Sehun, and neither of them would believe me!" Baekhyun wiped his sweaty palms on his trousers, his breathing hastening out of his usual habit when he was nervous.

“Like, I don’t know if it was really a dream, but something as significant as this can’t be happening twice a day, could it?”

"Mm, fine." She hums in approval.

"So, earlier on today, I was having the worst day of my life. I woke up late, practically jinxed my friend into hitting a light pole, uh- uh" Baekhyun stammers as he tries to recall what happened, "Oh— and I failed my test, getting a nine out of a hundred? I managed to cause two potential raze-the-school-to-the-grounds fire during home-ed, got knocked unconscious by a guy twice my size despite being younger than me, then... this part. Promise me. Give me your word you wouldn't laugh." he insisted.

Jessica raises an eyebrow as she leans back into a chair. Nodding as an acknowledgement for Baekhyun to continue, she opened the container of biscuits she had just received.

"While I was sleeping in the infirmary — really — I just... I heard this loud thud and Kyungsoo calling my name. I swear to God, Kyungsoo was there. His voice was so very clear! So I stood up, but then there was this quick shadow and flash of light and I fell. But that wasn't all... it was funny. It was weird. It was as though reality wasn't reality. There were so many colours around, and everything else was in swirly shapes. There were rhinos!

"And here comes to the really weird part. When I riding my bike back, I swore it was four in the afternoon and the radio show had just started, then remember the level crossing you have to pass to arrive here? I was about to stop to walk my bike down the slope, when I realized my brakes were faulty — I mean, really! You could come down with me to check the brakes. My bike kept going downhill, and it did hit the barriers. I felt the impact, and I was flying.

All of a sudden, there was a really bright flash of white light and the next thing I knew was that I had actually hit a lady trying to protect a kid. I looked at the timing, and it was still four. The DJ at the radio station was just repeating whatever he said... Ugh forget it... You must think I've gone mad." Baekhyun sighs, slumping into the corner of the couch.

Jessica smiles and replaces the cover on the container of biscuits. "No." 

"You see— wait, what?"

"It's simple, actually. What you've gone through is called 'Time Leaping'."

Baekhyun stared at the other as though she was deranged.

"Hah? Time leaping?"

"Yes. You're not mad at all. Time leaping does exist, and it's not uncommon at all. You see, you did in fact get into the accident, but time has leapt back and prevented it from happening at all. Although, you have to be careful. Time leaping, if used mindlessly can be harmful towards the people around. As you return and re-do what was wrong, you'd end up changing the entire course of event. This is called 'Alternating History'. And I see that you're not very convinced with what I'm saying." Jessica shakes her head at the end, fingers tapping on her lips.

"Of course I'm not! Things like this only exist in fictions, Aunt Jung."

"Look, you're the one asking for help here. I'm just telling you what's really happening. If you don't believe me, then you could just leave and be confused over what happened moments ago."

And that's exactly what Baekhyun did. He left Jessica's place, feeling even more confused as compared to how he had felt when he'd just arrived…

'Time Leaping'...

That's impossible.

But if that was impossible, how was he supposed to explain what went on earlier on?

He was supposed to be dead by now, goddamn it. Or maybe, he is dead. Everything that went on was just his soul wandering around! So, if it's all just a damn dream, it wouldn't really matter even if he jumped off the window from his room, wouldn't it? He lives at the seventh floor, and was pretty sure that anyone who jumped down from that height would die.

Fine, then.

He walks back slowly, feet laden with lead. Really, now that he was barely a hundred feet away and able to see the top of his apartment complex, Baekhyun was more than willing to hold back on his big plan of plunging into his own death. If God forbids me from dying now please give me a sign! And he prayed and prayed to the very step of his door.

Fine. If God wants him dead, then alive as a sashimi platter he shall be at the end of the day. Not that there was anything to celebrate for today, anyways. If he did die, then those es in school could take the blame for all they want; it was their fault anyways. Even though Baekhyun did cause most of them himself, but a dying man could dream, couldn’t he?

I mean, because, you only live once, don’t you?

As Baekhyun walks towards his room, he throws a quick ‘hey mom’ and contemplates on whether he should have a change of fresh clothes before jumping. If he’s gonna die, might as well die a comfortable death, so, whatever. He removes the soiled school uniform, chucking them to some corner of the room, and wearing the same pyjamas he had on last night.

His fingers were numb and quaking as they reached for the windows, sliding one large panel to the side. He pulls himself up onto the open aperture, gulping as the wind hits his face.

"Here goes nothing," Baekhyun whispers to himself as he climbs on the ledge of the window, "This is to the horrible day of thirteenth April!"

It was breezy out there, the curtains fluttering in the wind.

He takes the leap.

There were people shouting.

But it doesn't matter.





Because he realizes it's five-forty in the morning of April thirteenth.





”Holy .”

Running himself a warm shower ought to wake him up.

But no —

It is April Thirteenth.
Bad Friday — or more like, ing Fantastic Friday.

The early birds were chirping, and the morning news was reporting the very same piece of report Baekhyun had briefly seen on the papers. Yesterday.

Walking down the corridor, he greets his parents with a very gay good morning, folks. As he slides down the parquet with his socks on, Baekhyun smiles to himself. A great start to a great day. At least he'd know how to prevent all the damn trouble he was about to — would have to go through.

Slipping his shoes on, Baekhyun leaves, but not forgetting to grab the brown paper bag placed in his bike's front basket. Every step Baekhyun took had a light spring to it, glad that he wouldn’t be getting his jaw locked for a couple of seconds during school. Aunt Jung was right. Time leaping does exist. How did she know of it, anyway? Oh God this is so exciting! I’m going to ace that stupid Math test and have a chat with the class councillor.

Baekhyun smiles and greets everyone a good morning!, and he skips his way to the remaining distance to school. On the way, he wonders, just what was it that triggered the time leap. Well, Aunt Jung should know. I’ll just ask her later.

He steps into the classroom, immediately walking to his table and fishing out his Math notes. Baekhyun doesn’t bother with the nerd calls he had from the side, after-all, he’s not going to be the one who whines at the end.

“Baekhyun?”

“Hey you!” he places his notes back under his table, grinning from ear to ear.

Sehun smiles and eyes the way Baekhyun keeps his Math notes, nodding his head at the same time. “Wow, our dearest Baekhyun isn’t late for once; coming in earlier than I usually do, and even studying Math! I’m impressed.” He teased.

“I am hard-working, alright? It just depends on my mood.” Baekhyun lets out a soft ‘hmph’ in the mean time.

“So today you’re in the mood for Math?”

Baekhyun doesn’t say anything in return, but stick his tongue out at the chuckling Sehun. He wouldn’t exactly say that the latter was annoying, but sometimes, Baekhyun can’t help but be rendered useless at the sight of both his best friends. He wonders if they’d be friends like this, for life. If it weren’t possible, he’d leap back in time just to be with the both of them, just for another day.

The class slowly fills up with students, all happily chatting and none were obviously prepared with what was to come. Baekhyun looks up the clock, waiting for the school bell to ring. He waits for Chanyeol to shuffle in with his bag over his shoulder and his messy bed hair. Funny how he still manages to pull the entire look off, though.



3



Jongdae had approached Baekhyun, apparently wanting to ask him something urgent.



2



“About Chanyeol,” Jongdae starts.



1



“I was just wondering if, you know—“



And,



“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol bursts into the class, bag over his shoulders and all sweaty. “You’re in early today!”

“Yeah, I woke up early today and decided to come in earlier than usual.” Baekhyun swiftly lies, before turning back to Zitao.

“Jongdae, you were saying…?”

The mentioned boy bursts into a mode of frenzy, eyes glancing back and forth between Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Both his hands were waving in front of his chest and he was shaking his head frantically.

“Jongdae?” Chanyeol reaches out to grab him by the arm.

“I-I-I mean, I’m fine! I’ll just t-talk to you l-later, Baekh-hyun.” He says before running back to his seat.

Baekhyun queasily eyes Jongdae, muttering a soft ‘weirdo’ under his breath. Looking at the clock hanging above the blackboard, Baekhyun tugs on Chanyeol’s sleeve, getting his attention. “Go back to your seat, Mr Kim is coming in any moment.”

“Wha—“

“He’s coming, hurry up and get back to your seats!” someone yells from the corner of the room.

Chanyeol scrunches his nose in confusion, not understanding how Baekhyun could predict the arrival of their Math teacher. He drags himself back to his row, still throwing glances at his friend.
"See this stack? It’s your assignment for the lesson. Aren’t all of you glad?”

Baekhyun giggles as he hears the united groan from the whole class that he was all so familiar with. Serves all of you right. Had none of you were such s, I might’ve warned you about the upcoming test!

“All right, so I'm counting on the fact that all of you have studied for this math test. Marks will be deducted for nameless hand-ins, so make sure everything has been filled in. I'll be watching all of you like a hawk so don't even think of cheating. Thank you, take a piece and pass the rest down the row. It's April thirteenth in case any of you lazy asses forgot."

Using both hands to hold onto the stack of paper Wufan had passed down, Baekhyun ensures that he has a vice grip before pulling it to his table. He takes a piece, before continuing to pass it down to Minseok.

“Alright, no more jibber-jabbering and your time starts now.”

And what else could Baekhyun say than, easy peasy? He had been laughing to himself the entire time while he took the test, being the first to finish. Baekhyun was going to score an A for sure. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s his time to shine, and nothing could dampen his spirit. He beams when the teacher walks down his row, asking for his paper. Baekhyun was pretty sure everyone sees the way he’s smiling so widely, but you can’t exactly blame a man (or boy, in Baekhyun’s case) for being happy, can you?

If you thought acing the test was good, home-ed class was even better.

The moment Baekhyun has his apron on, he asks Chanyeol to tie it for him. As in, though he knows how a decent non-permanently-knotting knot goes about, he’s still going to play safe.

He walks up to Taemin, tapping his shoulders and asking if they could just change benches for the day. “I really need to speak to Chanyeol!” and he puts up the most pitiful front he could manage (not that he looked particularly adorable or whatnot, but Chanyeol literally shines (note: not really) and joins in the persuasion act).

“Fine… Then.” Taemin takes over Baekhyun’s seat for the lesson.

Of course, the same things repeated themselves; the paper towel had caught on fire and accidentally burnt Suho’s apron. He was rolling on the floor, trying to put out the hazard near his crotch till the home-ed teacher had called out to Zitao to use the fire extinguisher on him. “Oh my god, I almost died today!” Suho shouted as he was sent to the infirmary.

The problem did not end then. Taemin had taken a step back and accidentally tripped on Wufan’s shoe, causing him to fling the cabbage in his hands into the wok filled with boiling oil. The vegetable caught fire, and Taemin had once again caused another fire hazard.

Baekhyun felt really sorry for Taemin from the deepest corners of his heart, but couldn’t help but be a little glad that it wasn’t him. At least he’d be avoiding the confrontation with Jonghyun and Kibum like how he was supposed to. He sees the devastated look Taemin had on when he was sent out of the class, and was what he did right?

Lord forgive him, he was just protecting himself.

“…Byunbaek? Are you okay?” Baekhyun had been snapped out of his reverie.

“O-Oh? Yeah. I was just worried for Taemin.”

The worried look on Chanyeol’s face dissipates into a wide smile, the set of teeth he was always so proud of, showing. “You’re such a nice person, Byunbaek! I’m so proud of you!”

Oh, Chanyeol. If only you knew.

They were to continue with cooking, and to be honest, no one was in the mood for class anymore. It was only under the home-ed teacher’s insistence that they’d managed to finish the entire dish.

 

 

“Byunbaek! Let’s have lunch at the yard today.”

“I… don’t think it’s a good idea. I sort of told Sehun to meet us in the cafeteria. Is… it okay with you? Just for today, Chanyeol!” Baekhyun pleads.

“Fine…”

Baekhyun cracks a smile before pulling Chanyeol’s apron out of his hands. “I’ll just drop by the classroom first, you should go and find a seat.” And he runs off even before Chanyeol could say another word.

As Baekhyun reaches the door, he notices Jongdae peeking out of the window. He neatly places the aprons on their respective tables, and quietly walks towards the other boy, tapping his shoulder.

“What are you lookin’ at?” he peers down to the spot Jongdae had been looking at.

Chanyeol.

“Oh my—! Baekhyun! You should never do that again!” Jongdae places his hand on his chest, attempting to calm his poor, racing heart.

“Right, so what’s up? You were trying to ask something this morning?” Baekhyun says, playing with the lock of the windowpanes.

Jongdae fidgets, amusing Baekhyun to a rather large extent. Not that he has never seen the former do that embarrassed squirm he always does when he gets antsy, but he’s amused because it was so obvious it had something to do with Chanyeol. Jongdae so likes Chanyeol.

“D-Do you think… Chanyeol’s dating someone?” he mutters, twirling his fingers.

Is Chanyeol dating anyone?

“I’m not too sure, Jongdae. You should totally try confessing to him, though! You’re cute and I’m quite sure he’s going to accept you no matter.”

“You think so?” Jongdae chirps.

By that time, it was pretty obvious that his closest friend actually really, really, likes Chanyeol — the way Jongdae lets his eyes flutter shut softly, and his lips curve up into a relieved smile. He sends a silent ‘thank you’ to Baekhyun, a tiny flash of pink tongue peeking out from his lips.

“You’re welcome, Jongdae. I’m totally rooting for the both of you!” Baekhyun finds himself saying — a little bitterly, if he might dare say.

“Alright, I’ve got to go. Sehun and Chanyeol are still waiting for me. Please take action quick and get Chanyeol away from us,” he adds, “he’s really annoying at times.”.

Every step Baekhyun took had felt a little too heavy; his heart weighing him down as he rethinks over his actions. He couldn’t believe it — someone actually likes Chanyeol for who he was! In his eyes, Chanyeol would always be the irritatingly happy virus within their little clique. Imagining time without their buzz feed was seemingly impossible; for someone as possessive as Baekhyun, he’d always hoped for a future with just the three of them. Stuff like boyfriends never really came into the picture… till he was reminded that both Chanyeol and Sehun were rather good-looking. Someone remind him as to why people like them were hanging around someone like him, by the way?

Oh, right.

That’s because they’ve been friends since forever?

Nonetheless, Baekhyun strongly believes that everything has since been decided from their day of birth, and one should not defy t—

“Hey, you.”

Baekhyun was cut off from his thoughts as a boy whom he recognizes from his previous accident approaches him, eyes judgmental and speaking in a sneering tone while he has a shorter boy in tow. The latter was as fair as snow… or it was probably just a huge contrast from the taller boy’s skin tone, and he looked undeniably cute.

The boy who knocked him down! Well, not the shorter boy.

“Hey, you!” he repeats.

What?” Baekhyun snaps, annoyed with the rudeness the other was showing.

“Jongin! Show a little respect to Senior Byun…” he hears the soft-looking boy whisper over, still hiding behind Jongin.

“…Fine.” Said boy rolls his eyes and puffed out a breath.

“Good afternoon, hyung.” he hisses, “My name is Jongin, and this boy — stop hiding behind me! — is Lu Han. We’re — ow! What was that for?” Jongin mumbles as Lu Han sends a hard pinch on his arm, unpleased with his introductory speech.

“Are you guys going to hurry? I want lunch.” Baekhyun laments, turning his head to look at the happy bunch of students playing in the court.

The tanned boy scrunches his nose in distaste, and squinted his eyes at the other. “Yes, we’re — stop it! — here to ask you just what are you to Senior Oh Sehun. If you’re dating, could you guys break it off? My friend Lu Han has a huge boy crush on him.” Jongin asks, saying it as though it was a normal question.

Jongin!”

“What?”

“Why couldn’t you be a little more subtle? And I most definitely do not want them to break it off if they really are together!” Lu Han whines by his side, occasionally peeking over to Baekhyun — whilst waiting for an answer.

Jongin lets out a soft ‘pffft’ before turning back to look at the stumped senior, the question had seemingly stupefied him momentarily. Baekhyun had his mouth agape, eyes widened in incredulousness. It doesn’t take a minute before the side of his mouth breaks into a smile, and a full grin forms as he tries to hold back his laughter.

“That,” Baekhyun sighs, “Is the dumbest question I’ve heard all year round. No, Lu Han, me and Sehun are not dating, so you can put your heart to rest.” He assures, walking past the both of them and patting the timid boy on his shoulders.

Somehow, realizing that both his best friend had admirers made him a little sour deep inside. Was this how they’d split? Sehun having a cute boy like Lu Han trailing along wherever he went, and Chanyeol dating Jongdae… as unlikely how the both of them would end up together, what with Chanyeol being the exact opposite of Jongdae. He wasn’t that sure after-all, didn’t opposites attract? Their little group was doomed, and Baekhyun just had to accept that fact.

The rest of the day cruises by smoothly, nothing much cropped up other than Taemin falling over, and spilt juice all over himself.

‘Poor boy.’

Baekhyun has half a heart to help him when he gets held back by Suho, telling him it was better to just let Taemin be. Ultimately, Baekhyun thinks that it was his fault that the boy was in condemnation; it was his leap back in time, which caused the transfer of bad luck over to him. He knows that he should probably be leaping back and maybe stop the incident from happening at all, but it was just a waste of time, and what worse could come? However, there was a fair chance that it wasn’t his fault — Taemin just had to be on his guard today, but he was not.

He climbs up the stairway to Jessica’s office, fingers crimping the brown paper bag he held in his hands. Tripping over one of the steps sends him almost falling on his face, before Baekhyun decides to focus on walking rather than worrying over Taemin. He could last a while longer, if he’d went through the events of this morning.

“Aunt Jung?” he rasps while knocking on the door.

“It’s Baekhyun, your cute little nephew!”

“Cut the crap and come in!”

Giggling, Baekhyun turns the doorknob and walks in, placing the paper bag on her desk before settling himself on the very same spot of the couch. “The biscuits my mom promised you half a century ago, yes, yes. Now on to the main point, Time Leaping.”

Jessica freezes; eyes wide while her hands were outreached halfway, wanting to grab the biscuits. “What?” she asks.

“You heard me, I’m asking about Time Leaping! We had the same talk yes — oh.” Baekhyun stops in his words, remembering that it was technically still today.

“Actually we had a talk about Time Leaping today, April Thirteenth after I had a near-death experience thanks to my damn bicycle which broke down, and oh my god, I was so freaked out I almost — wait, wait. I’m digressing.” He hushes himself with a finger, trying to remember what it really was that he had wanted to say.

“Ah, right. After the incident, I came here and you told me it was all about Time Leaping and what Alternating History… I didn’t believe, so I sort of… jumped off the ledge of my window — don’t tell Mom — and woke back up to the morning of April Thirteenth.”

The older female gulps and sighed. “I see, so I suppose you’ve got something else to ask since you brought up the topic?”

“Yeah… I’m just really curious as to how things really go, like, why and how?” Baekhyun extends the last word, emphasizing his curiosity.

Baekhyun sits through half an hour of Jessica’s explanation of how things worked; from the activation to the harm it would cause. Apparently, Time Leaping only works in cases where the holder fell, be it tripping or falling over a cliff — and the harder the fall, the further the time leap. So the reason why Baekhyun had went back an entire day was because he’d tried to jump off the window of his room. He gets an extra warning from Jessica, that by going back in time and changing his deeds, he’s doing it at the expense of other people.

So he indeed was the cause of Taemin’s misery.

The worst part?

Baekhyun doesn’t feel like leaping back in time just to save his sorry . Time leaping was just too difficult to control, and he was pretty sure it wasn’t a permanent gift. Somehow, Baekhyun knows that there’s a time when it ends, and he was probably on the way already.

Who knows?





“You know I’ll catch you wherever you run to!”

“Really?”

“Try me!” Sehun shouts from the other end of the baseball court, laughter ringing in the air as he turns back.

“I’m hiding now! You had better count right to fifty, or I’m ratting you on Chanyeol!” Baekhyun retorts and ran off to the front yard, legs taking him as fast as they could.

Or till he got caught by two very familiar people… or accosted by one and accompanied by another.

“Are you sure you guys are platonically friends? The way he looks at you doesn’t cut it.” Jongin keens.

“Really, if you’re dating him, you have to tell us. Stop giving my friend false hopes; our little Lu Han here has been liking Senior Oh for a long time. Tell him, Lu Han.” He nudges the side of said boy’s arm, egging him to say something necessary.

Through hems and haws, Lu Han finally explains the reason why they’ve been following him for a rather long time — to Baekhyun’s dismay. If the boy liked Sehun as how that tanned bugger has said, he should’ve stepped out earlier! What if Sehun had someone else in mind (did he even?)? Lu Han was a cute boy two grades lower than them, but he was smart enough to be in the gifted program by the school. Sehun would be so glad to know that… and that was why Baekhyun guesses he had agreed to get the both of them together.

The both of them walk away, with a smile gracing Lu Han’s lips as he continuously bows, thanking Baekhyun. Not that it wasn’t enough for Jongdae starting to like Chanyeol, but knowing that Sehun had a secret admirer really just threw him back. Moreover, that Lu Han boy was really adorable… Sehun would choose him over someone like Baekhyun any time of the day.

“Caught you!” Sehun jumped on his back, eyes turning into slits as he laughs. “You really at hide-and-seek, don’t you, Baekhyunnie?”

Um — I just… I just!” Lu Han panics while his trousers.

“Baekhyunnie?”

“It’s just that… Ever since I was young, our family was not able to take care of my grandmother, and so… we had her sent to a nursing home near the hospital my parents worked in. And whenever I visited her, she would tell me such nice stories about a boy who visits her almost daily, giving her massages and talked to her. Soon after, my grandmother left… she passed away and there he was — a total stranger to our family, but he was there at the funeral…” Lu Han whispers at the end, as though the sweet memories would dissipate the moment he spoke a little too loud.

“Baek… hyun? Are you okay?”

“But ever since her death, I never got to see him again… I didn’t even… know his name… It was only till the day I went back to the nursing home, helping my friend with his volunteer work… That I met him…”

Baekhyun shrugs Sehun off, as though he had never really heard him.

“Oh… Se… Hun.” The words rolled off his tongue and Lu Han’s eyes crinkled at the side as though he had seen jewel. 

It doesn’t bother Baekhyun as much as it does for Sehun; because for one, Baekhyun wasn’t able to see the bitter frown on Sehun’s usual stoic face. Maybe if he did, he would’ve given a second thought on how much sadder the latter seemed, instead of plainly walking away. Was this how things were supposed to go without the casualties? It really to feel sour deep down, knowing that he was going to be alone by the end of the month, because he still has to help Lu Han with getting Sehun. Baekhyun just dug their very own grave for the group of three.

By the time he realizes where he was, it was already five, and Chanyeol had been waiting for him at the bicycle stands. Baekhyun sees the way his hair bounces with every movement he took, and the cute scrunching of his nose.

“Byunbaek!” Chanyeol calls out, “Sehun just left… He was pretty sad, saying how Baekhyun wasn’t being Baekhyun and left him after he had caught you in a game of hide-and-seek. Byunbaek, you can’t be such a petty person! If Sehun caught you, you should have continued to be the finder instead, and —”

“Chanyeol, please—” Baekhyun mumbles, placing his hand on the brakes of a bicycle. “Could we just go home in peace? I don’t feel well.”

“Get on the bike.”

“What?”

“You’re not feeling well, aren’t you? So get on the bike, I’ll send you home.” Chanyeol settles on the bike pad, before patting on the extra seat he had installed for the sake of some unknown reason. “I’m not taking ‘no’ as an answer, by the way.”

Baekhyun gratefully accepts the offer, sitting on the padded seat and leaned his head against Chanyeol’s back.

“Baekhyun,” he starts.

“I’m deadbeat.” Baekhyun whimpers behind the other, letting his forehead lay on the taller boy’s shoulder.

“What if —“

“Did you know that someone actually likes Sehun? Our Sehun?” he continues while ignoring Chanyeol’s words.

“What if I told you —”

“He’s a cutie two grades our junior. His name is Lu Han.”

I like you.

“And do you know Jong— wait — what?”

Chanyeol stops riding, halting just beside the shallow creek near a bridge.

“I like you, Byun Baekhyun. I have been liking you for the past two years.” He says without turning back.

Before Chanyeol could possibly react in the situation, Baekhyun had hastily stepped off the bicycle and jumped off the short but steep curb. He had his eyes tightly shut and legs kicking back as he was headed for the rocky waters; face first. There was just this feeling of nostalgia during the second a breeze hit him right in the chest — and a blank white scene flashed across his sight. He falls and bumps into a brick wall, the rough texture slightly grazing his palms.

“Ah, .” Baekhyun groans.

Opening his eyes, Baekhyun had been greeted by the orangey sky and his hurting from the metal drain grates.

He was in school.

Walking back to the gates, he spots Chanyeol looking around, repeating the same actions he’d done earlier. Bracing himself, Baekhyun strolls up to the other. “I’m sorry, Chanyeol. My parents told me that I’ve got to meet them at the mall down town. I won’t be going home with you today.” He says, refusing to meet the other boy’s gaze.

“I can fetch you there. Sehun told me you weren’t feeli—“

“It’s okay, but I think you should be going home now. I’ll see you around tomorrow in school.”

Baekhyun runs — he picks up his feet and runs as though he would never get the chance to run again. It was impossible for such a thing to happen. He doubts he could ever look at Jongdae in the eyes again, and talk to him about Chanyeol problems. To think he had never picked up on Chanyeol’s feelings for him, and he guesses that he was really glad this gift came just right on time. If there was no such thing as Time Leaping… Baekhyun might’ve thrown himself off the window ledge in a real attempt of suicide. They have been friends for years, and there was nothing else Baekhyun wouldn’t trade for them to stay status quo for the next couple of years.

He stares right at his window from where he was standing on the ground floor, remembering the hesitation he had before taking the first time leap. It was just so unreal. How could something so unrealistic be so real? Every footstep was heavy, and so was he carrying his heart on his sleeves.

Jumping right into a long bath was the best choice he could’ve ever taken, Baekhyun decides. The lukewarm water swishes around when he moves, little droplets of water trickling down his exposed arm. Leaning back on the ceramic tub, Baekhyun sighs and picks up the slab of soap beside him, lathering it and rubbed it against his skin. He first takes notice of a black patch on the back of his arm.

That’s weird...

It was never there before… 


Pushing his arms further, Baekhyun leans in to see a funny ‘05’ mysteriously inked on his skin.

…tattoo…?

But why don’t I have a single memory about getting it…?


The realization hits him hard that it might just be the amount of leaps it was possible for him to take, and all he had left was five of them. He knew it. This Time Leaping thing was too good to be true. Aunt Jung probably used to time leap — and thus that was why she knew about the technicalities of Time Leaping!

If those five were all Baekhyun had, he might as well use it for good and get Sehun together with that Lu Han boy. Jongdae could wait — Baekhyun just might help him if he had an extra few leftover.

Byun Baekhyun to the rescue.” He mumbles while giggling to himself, the bar of soap accidentally slipping out of his fingers and onto the floor.

“…”

“I guess I could go without washing my body for a day… Since I’ll be showering tomorrow morning anyway.” Baekhyun shrugs as he shampooed his hair and stepped out of the bathroom.

It hadn’t been a breeze for Baekhyun to fall asleep; with him tossing and turning every couple of minutes. It was just out of the question to try and forget about Taemin. No matter, he knows that it’s his entire fault, and he should be doing something to redeem his actions. Something. Yes. Something. He’ll just think of what that something was the next morning, because plainly thinking about wanting to vindicate himself from his conscience was boring enough.




Baekhyun fell asleep at 10.39pm, on 14th April 2012.