Beep

Happy Birthday, Doojoon! [ONE-SHOT]

 

*YOUR POV*

It has been 4 long hours since my plane, which I just booked this same day, has landed in New York and since I arrived here, I’ve done nothing but go to places where I could find him with my luggage and this box in tow. I didn’t even bother to check in on a hotel and leave these things. I instantly went on my mission to search for that guy. I had to find him before 1 am, before I fly back home. And it’s already 10:47 in the evening.

I think it was crazy for me to come here to personally give him my gift with no plan in my mind when I’m going to have my final exams tomorrow. My friends actually called me stupid, foolish and all the other adjectives synonymous but I didn’t care. I had this strong urge to come and give him my gift. But now that I’m starting to realize how my efforts are slowly put to waste, I’m starting to reflect and use all the will I could find to not shoot myself right now, right here.

I asked for the most likely place they could be found but New York is too damn big! I started searching at the bars, thinking they might be celebrating his birthday after all. No matter how I was disgusted by the wasted people inside each bar I went to, I endured them all for the sake of my mission, which I’m slowly realizing as impossible. And now, I was running out of time. It’s 11:56 already and still no signs of him. Soon, I’ll have to go back to the airport and fly home. Should I keep looking for him or just spend the remaining time comforting myself? I chose the latter.

Defeated, I slowly walked towards an unoccupied bench. And suddenly, tears fell. I never had fangirl luck. I never got a mention on Twitter, never got to touch even the tip of their fingertips. But they say, when you’re not blessed with good luck, you have to work for it. And this was what I did today. But still, I failed. I guess I’ll just have to be contented watching them from afar… Just the thought of it breaks my heart.

I looked at the box I was carrying… and sighed. I took the red bow and opened it. I couldn’t stop the next batch of tears from falling as I took the beanie I knitted slowly for 2 years. I told myself I had to personally give it to him on the first birthday that passes after I have finished knitting it. And here I was now. But still, I’m unable to do it. Because of my rotten luck. What I once thought would be a reason to fill my life with good memories just brings me sadness just by the sight of it.

A man who has himself all covered by the long beige trench coat sat beside me. I didn’t look at him directly but from my peripheral vision, I could see him wearing a black cap and sun glasses. If I wasn’t in such a foul mood, I would have laughed. What is this man’s fashion? It’s summer, why wear a trench coat? And it’s freaking 12:04 in the midnight, why would he be wearing sunglasses? Then, he took off his glasses and felt his gaze on me. And it felt so uncomfortable. I looked at him and I think that was the worst decision I have made. He has bloodshot eyes, obviously drunk. And I had goosebumps as he winked at me evilly. Instinctively, I grabbed my luggage and the box. But I felt a hand grip my wrist.

“Where are you going, sweetie?” he asked in a slurry voice.

I almost shivered as I tried to break free from his grip. Oh dear God, no. Please, let me go home safely today and I promise not to do crazy stuffs like this again. I tried breaking free, with more effort this time but his grip just got tighter and tighter.

“Please, let me go,” I begged as tears slowly formed.

“Spend some ti-”

“Baby!” I heard someone call.

It was a familiar voice. I felt safe all of a sudden. I knew it was a stranger. I didn’t know someone living here in New York. But it still felt like someone I knew. Someone I knew very well. I didn’t even feel uncomfortable when he wrapped his arm around me. I wanted to look at his face but he was too tall and my body was too frozen to look up.

“Is something wrong, Sir?” I heard him say in an awkward accent.

He couldn’t be…

“Walk,” the man holding me whispered. My once frozen feet suddenly jolted back to life and obeyed. He even took the luggage from me. But when he attempted to get the box, I came back to my senses and held on to it as if my life depended on it. I stopped on my tracks as I hugged the box near my chest.

“Oh, is… is that… something important to you?” he asked.

I just nodded without looking at him.

“Oh. I’m sorry…” he said.

I felt guilty and slowly looked at him. And once his face registered on my brain, I swear everything around me froze. It would make perfect sense if I were to wake up now. And as if he read what my reaction meant, he laughed nervously. And that just worsened my now chaotic heartbeat.

“So you know me?” he asked, scratching his head.

I just nodded absent-mindedly. This was the man I spent almost 5 long hours looking for. And suddenly, I lost grip of the box which I held tightly just moments ago. “Ouch!” I cried as it fell on my feet. He laughed his own laugh again, but not nervously this time.

He bent down and picked it up. “Oh, this is nice,” he smiled.

“Saengil chukhahae, Yoon Doojoon-ssi,” I said in my awkward Korean accent. And I almost died in shame when I heard him laugh heartily.

“Komawoyo, beauty,” he playfully bowed.

I started shaking when he took the beanie in his hands and wore it. “Do I look nice?” he smiled.

I nodded as tears started to flow again. I have shed a lot of tears tonight but these by far, are the most meaningful. Not only tonight, but for the rest of my life.

“Are you okay?” he asked, worriedly.

“I’m just… happy,” I managed to squeak out.

He smiled my favorite smile and enveloped me in his arms. “It’s because of people like you that I feel like I’m a precious person,” he started whispering. “For doing extraordinary things for someone as unworthy as me, I couldn’t thank you enough.”

I cried even harder. I knew he was a soft person but hearing him say these sincere words directly from his mouth, I knew my trip wasn’t a waste. It was all worth it.

As we broke apart, I could still see the warm smile on his face. And I couldn’t help but laugh-cry when I saw his tears finally break down. I reached my hand to his face to wipe his tears dry. And surprisingly, he didn’t flinch. He allowed me to do it.

Suddenly, I remembered I had to go to the airport at 1 am. I looked at my watch, it was 15 minutes before 1! A huge part of me wanted to just let go of reality and dwell on what was happening right now. But if Doojoon knew what I was doing, he wouldn’t feel good either. So as much as I hated to ruin the moment, I had to leave.

“Doojoon-ssi, I have to go now,” I said against my will.

“Why too soon?” he asked.

I was flattered for the fact that he asked me that question but I too felt regret that I couldn’t stay any longer. “I’m flying back home today, and I have to be at the airport at 1,” I answered.

“Oh,” he sighed.

I tried to break the awkward silence. We can’t part ways with sadness, no matter how heavy my heart is right now. “We’ll meet again, right?” I smiled.

He smiled back. “Of course.”

“Keurom, annyeong… Oppa,” I bowed.

He laughed. “Annyeong!”

We both started walking on opposite directions. As I counted my steps, I kept wishing for him to call me back, to tell me to stay longer…

“Beauty!” he called.

I turned around and saw him running towards me. He was slightly panting when he reached where I was standing. He took my hand and put his handkerchief in it.

“Don’t look at it until you’re in the airplane,” he said. “Annyeong!” he said and ran away.

I was kind of disappointed to see him leave just like that. But then I looked at what he has put in my hands and smiled. I guess this should be enough.

I finally sat on my assigned seat on the airplane and rested my head as I smiled. This was definitely the best trip I had in my life. Then I remembered the handkerchief. I smiled wider as I took it out. He really never forgets to do fanservices and he does it really well… I smelled its scent and it was the same scent I smelled when he enveloped me in his arms. I squealed at the memory. As I held the handkerchief, a small piece of paper fell from it. I picked it up… and I couldn’t believe what was written in it.

 

*DOOJOON’S POV*

I knew we weren’t supposed to give out such information to fans but from the first time I saw her, I knew she wasn’t just any fan. She was someone more than that. As to what, I don’t know. Or maybe, as to what she will be in the future…

I got home and saw them still sleeping. I sighed in relief. Nobody should know I took a stroll alone. Or else, they’ll force me to cover up for them while they sneak out. That’s something I don’t want to happen. So I quietly sat down on the table and took out my handphone. Luckily, the hotoel had wifi so I went on Twitter. I read mentions and a lot of them were asking for selca. Who am I to refuse? So I took a selca and saw its preview. I smiled as I saw the red beanie I was wearing. I took more selcas and chose the one where I looked best. And I uploaded it.

 

*YOUR POV*

Thank you for taking care of me and my members. For making me feel like a precious person. No words could be enough to express how I feel. But thank you, really.

As I read his tweet, I smiled as some of those words resonated the moment I had with him. And as I opened the picture, I felt extreme happiness seeing him wear what I’ve worked for, for almost 2 years. Then I looked at the piece of paper in my hand. With an 11-digit set of numbers. His number.

 

*DOOJOON’S POV*

“Are you waiting for something?” Yoseob asked.

“Ye? Ah, no, I’m not,” I said as I stood up from the chair in the standby area of the filming set.

I lied. Of course, I was waiting for something. I kept looking at my phone.

“Doojoon, are you ready?” the director called.

“Yes!” I answered with my eyes still fixed on my phone. If I don’t receive anything in 10 seconds, I’ll have to give up… 10… 9… 8… 7… 6…

“Doojoon, you’re up!”

“For a while!” I said. 5… 4… Come on, come on… 3… 2…

 

 

 

 

 

*beep, beep*

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

[A/N] It kinda , right? My writer feels kinda went away after being on hiatus so... I'm really sorry. But once again, let's all greet Yoon Doojoon a happy, happy birthday~~ ~^_____________^~