Chapter 6

Vampire Exo

 

Yoon Mi thought there was some light in her school life now ; something to look forward to. She felt the change. The difference. But that doesn't mean she stopped dreading for school.
 
   "Hey you. Transcribe these books for me. I want it by tomorrow." Dongjun, the big bully handed Yoon Mi two thick books. 
 
   Yoon Mi looked up from her Calculus exercise that was due next week. Tomorrow? No! Min Seok Ahjumma asked to stay a little late at the store today! And transcribe needs reading! I would love to do it but tomorrow? She sighed. "Neh.." she said slowly as she took the books from Dongjun's grip. Guess I have to stay up late. Hmm..
 
  Then, somebody snatched the books from Yoon Mi. Well, not really snatching-it was a delicate and graceful movement but far too swift. Yoon Mi gasped. The one thing in her mind ; Dongjun would kill her before the books even touched the ground.
 
   "Is there something wrong with your hand?" The soft and sweet yet a deep voice said from behind, startling both Yoon Mi and Dongjun.
 
   They looked up to see Luhan smirking and Lay smiling too sweetly besides him. Dongjun's ears went red while Yoon Mi flushed. 
 
   "Actually, I'm free today so I have plenty of time to transcribe the books. I take back what I said Yoon Mi." Dongjun stuttered, feeling utterly humiliated. He snatched the books from Lay and glared at them both while mouthing "You're lucky," at Yoon Mi before he scurried off.
 
   Lay and Luhan exchanged smirks and turned to look at Yoon Mi. She turned scarlet. She could already feel the piercing stare from behind her and tried her best to stay composed.
 
   "Thank you. I'm very thankful to you guys." she said in soft voice.
 
   "Well, there's one way for you to show your gratefulness." Lay said and exchanged smirks yet again with Luhan. The ringing school bell announced it was time for recess.
 
 
   "So you don't have any friends? At all?" Luhan stared at Yoon Mi in disbelief but the later just stared impassively at her ice-cream. She was embarassed enough to sit with Luhan and Lay in the school cafeteria that suddenly felt too small that day. They chose the table at the far end of the cafeteria to avoid attracting people.
 
   Yoon Mi scoffed. She could feel the fiery death glares from the girls because the beauty of the pretty boys would never go unnoticed. And of course-Luhan's loud and cheerful personality wasn't that much of a help when avoiding people's attention. 
 
   "How can you not have friends? How do you lead a solitary life on your own? It sounds so lonely." Luhan shook his head. The incredulity he felt was palpable.
 
   Yoon Mi just remained silent.
 
   It's not in our place to judge her though. It's not like we have any friends too. Lay thought and Luhan glanced at him. He considered the thoughts for a moment and nodded in agreement. 
 
   "Why did you guys save me just now? Why help?" The words that came out sounded harsher than she intended to as she her vanilla ice cream. Luhan and Lay had asked her to treat them for ice cream even though they were far more than able to afford it.
 
   Luhan shrugged. "You're hyung's friend. That makes you our friend too." 
 
   "And friends stand for each other," Lay smiled warmly at Yoon Mi.
 
   Yoon Mi smiled at Lay back but arched an eyebrow at Luhan. "Hyung?"
 
   "Kris hyung." Luhan's answer was simple but the effect on Yoon Mi was spontaneous, she stilled at the mention of his name.
 
   "Oh, there he is." Lay said quietly and Yoon Mi stilled even more.
 
   "Hyung!" Luhan waved happily, drawing more attention from students to his table and Yoon Mi froze.
 
   Kris made his way to the table but frowned slightly at the sight of Yoon Mi. He tried to maintain his casual composure despite the butterflies that already turned into bats in his stomach. He glanced at Yoon Mi who was as pale as a corpse. She got up suddenly, startling Kris, Lay and Luhan.

   "Are you okay? You look pale." Lay remarked. Luhan tried to stifle a smile.

   "I.. I.. think I should head back now." She stuttered, avoiding eye contact with all three of them. "Thank you for your help." She bowed at Lay and Luhan and scurried off.

   Kris looked at Luhan questioningly who burst out laughing.

   "She's flustered to see you," Luhan rolled his eyes.

   Kris's lips twitched but then he frowned. "What are you guys doing with her?" His tone rigid. Luhan and Lay stopped smiling in an instant.

   "She got bullied.. and we helped her." Lay explained while trying to gauge Kris's reaction. "And after that we asked her to treat us ice cream."

   Kris glared at his two dongsaeng. "Don't drag her into our life anymore."

   "Oh, come on hyung! Didn't you hear what Xiumin hyung said? We are going to do whatever it takes to welcome her in our family!" Luhan reminded Kris who continued to give him a stony stare.

   "She's in the light. We should not drag her into our world of darkness. We musn't drag and burden her with every single darkness we carry. Her life will be miserable if we step in!" Kris muttered under his breath, making it impossible for ordinary human to eavesdrop.

   "Hyung, she is far more miserable if we don't help her." Lay said and Luhan nodded in agreement.

   "You know that, don't you?" Luhan said quietly.

   Kris sighed in exasperation.
 


   Yoon Mi sighed. She didn't knew what had happened to her. She didn't knew herself anymore. She was all excited for school that morning and the very thought of it was scary. She didn't want to lie to herself so she admitted it. Her heart leapt in anxiety because she would meet Kris, the mysterious handsome boy at school. And Yoon Mi didn't know how to feel about that. Should she feel scared? Should she feel nervous?

   She knew that Kris and her were from very different world. Their differences were infinite list. But she couldn't deny the fact that she had butterflies in her stomach every time she heard his name. Let alone facing him. Which explained why she froze at the very sight of Kris. She was nervous. His charms robbed the rationality out of her. That's why she wanted to leave as soon as possible eventhough part of her wanted to stay and gaze at his perfect feature.

   "Can I have a bouquet of red roses? 23 of them to be exact." A soft, musical voice interrupted Yoon Mi's reverie.

   There. The core of my problem. Yoon Mi didn't know if she should run or die from the lack of blood in her body. She felt the blood drained from her body as soon as the sight of the perfect figure met her. But there he stood. His perfect figure looked odd and out of place in that small flower shop. His expression soft but his brow creased a little.

   Yoon Mi stood unblinkingly in front of a table filled with different types of flowers. She looked down to see a handful of mixed lily on top of her palm. She was supposed to arrange three bouquet of flowers. She wanted to blame Kris for interrupting her mind but there, go ahead and scold him! It's not even his fault! Her subsconcious scowled at her. Yoon Mi felt a huge lump in as she gulped. She blinked several times, trying to compose herself and pulled her back to rationality. Okay, he's just a customer. She repeated the mantra several times.

  "Yes, sir?" She asked sweetly but cursed herself when she couldn't bear to meet his gaze. So much for being brave.

  "Red roses. 23 of them," he replied patiently.

  "Of.. course. Um, would you like to pick the wrapper? It's.. on your right." Her voice lowered even more. It seemed her coward self has reapperead.

  "No, it's okay. I'll leave everything up to you." He said calmly.

   See? He's as calm as a.. normal person. Yet you are exaggerating your feelings here and that is very stupid. Yoon Mi thought to herself so she embraced herself and began her work. Through the corner of her eyes, she saw Kris's movements, graceful as always as he explored the small store.

   "So you work here?" He asked.

   Yoon Mi was caught off guard by the sudden question with such random topic. "Y-yes."

   He nodded slowly. "What time do you finish? It's almost 10." He looked at Yoon Mi after glancing at his Tissot wristwatch.

   Of course, Yoon Mi didn't dare to meet Kris's gaze. "I'm almost done. I'm going back after I'm done with your order."

   Kris nodded again. He glanced at Yoon Mi through the corner of his eye. Kris couldn't deny it. Yoon Mi was attractive.
It's just she doesn't care -or couldn't care- enough for herself that made people seemed oblivious to her beauty. He doesn't even need Luhan to read people's minds and he could tell there were quite a number of her fans. It's just they have an improper and weird way to start a conversation with her.

   "Here you go." Yoon Mi's voice interrupted Kris's contemplation a while ago.

   She tried to remain composed and calm as though his presence meant nothing to her eventhough it was completely impossible. She moved in a fluid movement to prepare to close down the shop. She cleaned the leftovers of flowers and stacked them in one place. Yoon Mi noticed Kris was still standing stiffly at the entrance door. He stood watching her every move without moving an inch.

   Yoon Mi noticed his shoulders doesn't hunch up like how people always do when they breath or fidget every now and then like normal people. He almost looked like a statue except that no statue could be this handsome. She wondered mentally why he still wasn't leaving.

   Yoon Mi compiled all her stuffs and put in her bag. Hoisting it on her shoulder, Yoon Mi looked up to Kris, his eyes wary but full of curiosity. "Are you not going to leave?" She asked almost reluctantly. Part of her wanted him to stay with her. And Yoon Mi wasn't sure if she should be scared of those feelings. Would she feel heartbroken if he does not have any interest on her? Would she cry because he couldn't be hers?

   "How are you getting home?" He asked in his forever mesmerizing low voice as he pushed the entrance door open and paused in the middle to give way to Yoon Mi.

   "On foot." Yoon Mi murmured, taken aback by his gentleman act and secretly hoping it wasn't merely a gentleman facade he put on.

   Kris arched an eyebrow at Yoon Mi as she locked the door. When she's done, she looked up at him. "My house is not that far from here. I walk everyday to school," she explained. And then sneezed. Her cheeks flushed red. Jeez, why do I have to get a cold on this very time of a day?

   Kris gazed softly at Yoon Mi. "I can give you a ride."

   What? He's offering me a ride? Should I accept? Should I decline? "Sure. Thanks," Yoon Mi found herself speaking.
   Kris looked genuinely pleased before his brow furrowed slightly. Then he shook his head, as if he was dismissing a painful thought. He pulled open the driver's seat for Yoon Mi and she climbed in. In one swift movement, Kris was already in the driver's seat.

   "Ready?" He flashed a breathtaking smile at Yoon Mi and the latter felt her heart skipped a beat. Whoa. Boys and cars, huh?
 

   The time barely passed when Kris pulled up in front of Yoon Mi's apartment. Yoon Mi was about to open the driver's door when Kris swiftly opened it. Yoon Mi gasped, startled. When did he climbed out? I mean, how did he get over here so fast? Kris smiled a dazzling smile at Yoon Mi as she climbed out the car.

   She was too shy to look up to him. Kris leaned coolly against his car. His eyes were watching Yoon Mi adoringly.

   Crap. What should I say? Um- "Thanks." She muttered.

   "Pleasure is all mine." He said it so low, almost seductive.

   Yoon Mi flushed red. Her heart was already pounding. She tried to look anywhere but Kris when suddenly a pair of cold hands lifted Yoon Mi's chin gently. Yoon Mi was startled by the sudden touch. But what made Yoon Mi lifted her head away from Kris immediately was not because of the sudden skinship, but the coldness of his skin. It was as cold as ice.

   Kris looked down. Momentarily seeming embarassed and frustrated with himself.

   "Hey," she called. When he didn't look up, she lifted his chin, mirroring his actions from before and planted a soft lingering kiss on his lips. Kris's eyes widen.
 
*My school holidays are done T____T I don't wanna go to school~
*So, since schools have started, I think I'll only be able to update during weekends and that doesn't sound too good isn't it? hmmm
*cry together with me please :(