Final

Can I Love You?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

I was waiting at a coffee shop.


Sitting on a corner beside the window, I scanned the pages of my sketchbook. The shop was quiet as usual. People were seated at random tables, chatting softly and enjoying their drinks.

This is my favorite hangout place. I go here whenever I need a break from work. The cozy, earthy design of the shop complimented its wooden furnitures and antique porcelain wares. It was like going back to the past. The aroma of coffee mixed with the serene atmosphere did wonders to my senses, giving me a calming sense of solitude.

I stared at the window, busying myself looking at passerbys. Observing people had always been a habit of mine, particularly women. Watching someone makes me imagine what secrets she kept behind her gaze, her smile, her laugh. Those kinds of stories were my inspiration  in sketching my designs. A once a little girl finally fulfilling her dream of becoming a bride. A woman who was left at the altar. A lady to secretly walk down the aisle. The most celebrated bride-to-be. A girl who had no guest but is crying happily as she exchanged vows with her lover. A daughter weeping inside as many people watched her walk to the groom she never loved. The fantasies were endless.

Those people represented different faces of marriage. It was not only the  ceremony that makes a wedding special, but the journey it took a woman to get there. Those are what fueled me to create dress that will make their long wait all the worth it.



"Were you waiting for long?"



I snapped back to reality at the sound of a familiar deep voice. Looking up, I saw him standing before me. I was too engrossed with my own thoughts that I didn't notice him approaching. I greeted him with a smile as he took a seat across me.

"Spacing out again?" He asked. "What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing important." I chirped. "Just watching the people outside."

He gave a nod, as if to understand. Silence fell between us. I felt awkward as he stared at me from across the table. I held my usual smile in place. The loud beating of my heart wasn't helping in the situation.

As if sensing my uneasiness, he spoke. "How is your shop?"

"Orders are flowing. Designs are running out. I need something interesting or else brides will be wearing the same clothes all over Korea." I paused. "You weren't visiting nowadays though."

His handsome face turned apologetic. "Sorry. Practice had been intense lately. I always go home late." There was slight hesitance in his next words. "Were you waiting for me?"

"A bit." I answered. Realizing how suggestive it was, I quickly added. "The store's quiet without you. I got used to your rambling, I guess." I smiled wider to cover my mistake. In reality, I've been keeping my store open till midnight in hopes of him dropping by.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise." He said, grinning. I knew he noticed my slip up. His head turned and scanned the place. "Do you always come here?"

"Yup. The coffee's good, and few people knew this."

"Now that I think of it, it's the first time we met outside your shop."

"Ah, that's right." I said, realizing it too.

He placed a hand under his chin and glanced outside. "This is our first date then."

My cheeks heated up at the mention of the word. It's been a long time since I went out on a date. I studied his face. There was a slight tension on his jaw, as if he was waiting for something. He acts relax but I knew he was uneasy.

"Ah yes, first date." His eyes immediately landed on me. I gave him my brightest smile, as if to say I'm okay with it. His face cleared up at the sight of my reaction. Now my heart felt climbing up my throat.

"Shall I order coffee for us?"

"Espresso." I replied.

"How can you drink something so bitter?" He said, but still made his way to the counter.


When he was finally gone, I let out a breath. It's not like I wasn't used to his stares. I guessed those days he was gone made me weak against his charms all over again. That man has scary pheromones, I tell you.

I opened my bag and pulled out my music player. Listening always calmed me. The music came randomly, blaring on my headphones. Ifelt myself relaxing when a particular song played. It was one of my favorite songs. And seeing the situation I was in, I couldn't help but pay attention to its lyrics.

 

muni yollineyo kudaega deuroeutjyo

chonnune nan naesaramigeol aratjyo

nae ape dagawa

kugae sogimyo bichin eolgol

chongmal nuni pushige arumdapjyo


Loving Taecyeon for a long time, it was hard for me to pick up the broken pieces of my heart. Like a wound that refused to heal. It was foolish of me to agree to be the designer of his wife to-be. The prick of needles on my finger, the little cuts I obtained were nothing to the pain it took me to create the dress. I admit it was my most beautiful creation, but it was also the one that required most tears. It was the only project I never made with a smile. The entire gown was my final letter to Taecyeon. Goodbyes were sewn with every bead, every lace, every stitch.


wae nilinji nassolchiga anhayo

sollego itjyo

nae mamul modu kajyogan gudae


I was ready to sew my heart to it, a promise of not loving again. That when he took his vow, my heart will go with him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter