Final

Acetone

Kyuhyun had a habit of blaming the garbage truck.


Every morning, he had to get up before the crack of dawn to feed his playful dog Chen and get ready for work. He worked as a barista, or the owner of a small cafe inside the plaza of a rich community. It wasn't his ideal job, but at least his degree in marketing benefitted him.


It wasn't that he hated his job. He just didn't like how much effort he put into it and what little satisfaction he recieved. You'd think Karma would actually be kind once in a while.


But it seemed today, Karma wanted him to drop dead. At the intersection a block away from his cafe, some lunatic was crossing the street when it was a green light!


After slamming his brakes so as not to run the guy over and sticking his head out of the window, he recognized the item in the other man's hands. It was a walking stick made for blind people. No wonder he was wearing sun glasses on a cloudy morning.


"Poor dude." He muttered, just a passive thought.


When Kyuhyun stuck his head back into the car and saw water droplets appearing on the street. It was about to rain.


Kyuhyun parked the car in the back parking lot and made his way into the shop through the side entrance. The aroma of coffee filled his lungs and brought back nostalgia. Hurriedly he all of the lights and started wiping down the counters and tables. He only had one other employee and Henry was still on vacation in China.


Shuffling, he noticed a figure outside the glass door. He had his back turned, and he was staring into the street. He must've been waiting for someone.


But the next time Kyuhyun noticed him he was sitting on the bench outside the window, and now he could make out the walking stick.


Kyuhyun was never one of those "good semaratins" that helped old ladies cross the street, but...


He opened the door and walked in front of the man, who instantly put up his guard as he heard Kyuhyun approach him.


"Sir? Are you lost?" Kyuhyun asked, shivering from the cold.


The blind man let out a sigh and nodded. "I'm looking for Kyuhyun's Cafe. The waiter usually has the door open for me but I must've taken a wrong turn..."


"Oh, no you're at the right place. I'm so sorry Henry never told me to keep the door open, he's on vacation in China. I'm Kyuhyun, by the way." He hastily said, trying to prevent his teeth from chattering.


"Oh, the owner." The man stood up and bowed slightly. The height difference was pretty big, but it wasn't like the man could see. "When will Henry be back? Are you not open right now?"


"Um, he'll be back next week. I was actually just opening up right now so would you like me to help you inside sir?"


The man nodded. "My name is Ryeowook, by the way. You don't have to call me sir."


And as Kyuhyun guided the man inside, the scent of acetone filled his nose and made his eyes water. Like the stuff he sniffed in high school.


~


Ryeowook ordered a Venti hazelnut coffee with enough sweet syrups to give a man diabetes. And to add to that unfortunate cup, he added cream and sugar from his table too. Kyuhyun could only cringe as Ryeowook actually drank the diabetes in a cup.


A little while later, another man came in and sat right across from Ryeowook. The blind man smiled as if he already knew who it was.


"Hello Zhou Mi. You're looking wonderful today." He greeted.


The red head laughed and blinked rapidly, and looked around. "I try. Hey where's Henry? My coffee won't be as tasty if it isn't served by that cutie."


"The owner says he is on vacation. Is he really that cute? He sounds masculine." Ryeowook tilted his head to the side.


"Oh believe me honey he's an adorable little fuzzball. Kyuhyun! Get me my usual!" Zhou Mi shouted from across the room.


"Sure! With the cherry turn-over?" Kyuhyun called back.


"Hmmm. Nah, let's go with apple today!" Zhou Mi continued.


"Do you two know each other?" Ryeowook asked, surprised by the intimacy.


"Yeah we knew each other when he was in high school. I tutoured him in Chinese." Zhou Mi explained.


"Cute." Ryeowook replied as a blushing Kyuhyun set down Zhou Mi's order.


"Henry is cuter." Zhou Mi stuck his tongue out at the waiter.


"How do you two know each other?" Kyuhyun asked.


"Brothers. Cursed to always be into running into you. Such a delinquent back then! He caused me so much trouble, you know Wookie?"


Kyuhyun staggered back, cluthching his chest. "You hurt me."


Both men laughed and Ryeowook nodded. "He's cute, give him credit."


"His face is not likeable." Zhou Mi continued.


"His voice is nice." Ryeowook countered.


"Hm. Fine for Wookie you're cute. But I still prefer Henry." Zhou Mi stuck his tongue out again.


"At least the nice one likes me." Kyuhyun smiled.


"What does that make Zhou Mi?" Ryeowook asked.


"The evil one."


"You're ten times eviler than I am!" Zhou Mi shouted, flailing his arms to add dramatic effect.


Kyuhyun laughed. "I need to get back to work now. Don't worry sir, I'll leave the door open tomorrow."


"That would be much appreciated, than you. And please, don't call me sir. It makes me feel old." Ryeowook groaned.


"But Kyuhyun's younger than you." Zhou Mi said with a mouth full of apple turn-over.


"Really?" Ryeowook's eyebrows popped up from behind the sunglasses. "He sounds about a year or two older."


"Nope, he's just a baby!" Zhou Mi got up and pinched the waiter's cheek.


"Ow!" He rubbed the swelling cheek and looked back. "Ok the dishes are calling me. Henry should be back sometime this week so we'll do a comparison!"


"Have fun!" Ryeowook smiled as Zhou Mi cackled evily.


About a half-hour later, Kyuhyun looked around the corner of the kitchen to see both men get up and Zhou Mi leading Ryeowook out the door.


~


Two days later, Kyuhyun waits and waits, but Ryeowook is more than an hour late.


He contiplates calling Zhou Mi, but the other man didn't show up either. And while on the phone with Henry the previous night, Ryeowook never strayed from his daily routine.


As the second hour struck, Kyuhyun couldn't take it anymore. Grabbing a coat he ran outside, not even sure where to look.


Eventually, he ran out to the park across the street and saw a flash of brown hair. Immediately he picked up his pace, until he stood right in front of the blind man.


"Ryeowook." He said breathlessly.


The man raised his head and tried to match the voice. "Kyuhyun." He finally said.


"I-I was really worried that something happened to you. You and Zhou Mi didn't show up this morning."


Ryeowook laughed bitterly. "We had a fight.Didn't even go home last night."


Kyuhyun nodded, then remembered stupidly that Ryeowook couldn't see. "U-Um. Do you wanna talk about it with me?" He asked, sitting down.


"I'd rather not get you involved with something so stupid." Ryeowook looked away.


"But...you're my best customer?" Kyuhyun tried.


Ryeowook raised an eyebrow. "Did you start blushing as you said that?"


"No!" Kyuhyun denied instantly, the blush growing rapidly on his face.


Ryeowook lifted a hand and pinched Kyuhyun's cheek. "You're cute. And you're totally red right now, I can tell."


The younger sighed in defeat. "Yeah, I am. So...please talk to me? I'm...trying to be friends here."


The tips of Ryeowook's mouth twitched into a smile, and then he sighed. "Ok. You know how Zhou Mi told you we were brothers? We're actually brother-in-laws. He was married to my late sister, Taeyeon."


"I'm sorry for your loss." Kyuhyun said.


Ryeowook nodded. "It was when she died...that I lost my sight."


Kyuhyun held his breath. "You weren't always blind?"


Ryeowook shook his head. "One night, I stayed up really late to make a cake for the guy I liked for Valentines Day. I crashed on the caffeine pills I took and passed out. I couldn't even smell the flames in my house before it got into my room upstairs."


"A-a fire?" Kyuhyun gasped.


"Yes. Taeyeon died from the smoke filling her lungs and a window burst in front of my face. My eyes were wide open from the shock." He clutched his cane.


"Where...where was Zhou Mi?"


"Work. He wasn't even in the country at the time. He's a make-up artist for those celebrities like SHINee and f(x)."


Kyuhyun shakily took Ryeowook's hand in his own and squeezed it. "I'm...really, really sorry."


Ryeowook shrugged. "I've accepted her death and my blindness as punishment. There's nothing I can do now."


"And...that's why you were fighting with Zhou Mi?"


Ryeowook shook his head. "Do you know...why Henry is in China?"


Now Kyuhyun was confused. Why was Henry being brough into this?


"He's talked to his mother. To get her blessings, on his marriage to Zhou Mi."


"What?"


Ryeowook nodded. "Zhou Mi swings both ways. He loved Taeyeon more than anything in the world. But now...it hurts to know that he's moved on." Ryeowook's voice cracked at the end, and he bent over, sobbing. Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around the frail man and let him cry into Kyuhyun's shirt.


But when Ryeowook was fast asleep in Kyuhyun's lap, he noticed his shirt wasn't wet at all.


~


In the end, Kyuhyun piggy-backed Ryeowook home after calling Zhou Mi for the address.


"Don't wake him." Kyuhyun whispered as he walked into the apartment.


Zhou Mi nodded and helped Ryeowook into bed, taking off his shoes and sunglasses. Kyuhyun stood in the doorway, awestruck by the blind man's facial features.


"He's beautiful, isn't he? Looks so much like his sister." Zhou Mi whispered, leading Kyuhyun into the living room and showing him a picture displayed in a silver frame.


"Taeyeon." Kyuhyun said, amazed by her beauty.


"Yes, when we went to the beach. Ryeowook told you about her?" Zhou Mi was surprised.


Kyuhyun nodded. "And...other things. Like you and Henry."


Zhou Mi sighed and took a seat in his chair while Kyuhyun sat on the couch directly across from him.


"You have to understand...that it's been more that seven years. I never stopped loving her, and I never will. But...it gets lonely. I was so deep of depression that I was considering suicide just to be with her again. And then...I met him." He smiled at the memory, eyes glowing. "He saw me at a bar one night, going on and on about my problems and took me to his house. Not doing anything innappropriate, mind you. But...we talked after I sobered up and it got better. We grew closer and started secretly dating. And...I proposed to him." He stared at the empty place where his previous wedding wing was worn on his hand.


"Is he...anything like her?" Kyuhyun asked.


Zhou Mi shook his head. "She was a ballerina. As graceful as you could get. Henry..."


Kyuhyun grimaced, knowing the younger was the cause of more than one of the kitchen accidents.


"But when they both smile. I get the same feeling." Zhou Mi clutched his heart. "I won't ever abandon Ryeowook. I think he's afraid of that the most."


~


Henry came back the next day, leaving the door wide open for the stumbling blind man.


"Kyuhyun?" He calls into the cafe as he steps in.


"One second!" He comes out of the kitchen and walks up to the elder. "Hi Ryeowook."


"Thank you. For listening yesterday, and taking me home." He says staring into Kyuhyun's chest.


"It's not a problem. Not at all."


~


Nobody knew how it started. It was a long time after they met. A long time after Zhou Mi and Henry got married. Many speculated an accidental kiss, or a long-planned confession. But somehow, Kyuhyun turned into Ryeowook's boyfriend.


After a year of dating, Ryeowook finally agreed to move into Kyuhyun's apartment. And on the first night that they shared the same bed, the only thing Kyuhyun wanted off were the sunglasses.


"No." Ryeowook said, keeping his hands to the sides of his head.


"C'mon I've already seen you without them!" Kyuhyun groaned, wrestling with the other man.


"That was once! And my eyes were closed!" Ryeowook shrieked.


"You sound like that dude from X-Men. With the laser beams coming out of his eyes." Kyuhyun pouted.


"Kyuhyun...I don't have any eyes." He whispered.


Kyuhyun's breath stopped as he removed his hands from Ryeowook's head.


"The doctors...they said that my eyes were too damaged for me to ever be able to use them again. So...and they took them out. I...I can't even cry." His lips trembled.


Kyuhyun kissed Ryeowook all over his face to calm him. "I don't care. I love you for who you are. Not what you lack."


And without protest, Ryeowook let the glasses fall onto the bed.


_______________________


Sooooo. Did you like it? Happy enough? Kind of angsty? I don't know practicing one-shots is good because I am not as good as I could be with them. Practice makes perfect!


Now I will wait for KyuWookBiasedStalker to rebuttal this.