In a Kingdom Far, Far Away

In a Kingdom Far, Far Away

In a kingdom far, far away, lived a prince named Dong Ho. Prince Dong Ho was the only hope for his kingdom, because he was the only one who had the special sword that could kill a dragon named Kibum that was attacking the kingdom.

“Shin Dong Ho, you are the hope tree of your very own kingdom. Shall you use your mighty sword wisely, thus bring an endless peace to this kingdom.” The prince’s father stated one day as he gave Dong Ho the sword. It was a shiny, full of power sword.

The young prince stared at the thing in his hand. Then he met his father’s eyes. With charisma overflowing in his voice, he replied, “Father, I would likely use this sword to protect my people, and it is an honor to me to be able to bring peace to this kingdom, however…,”

Dong Ho shook his head and sighed. “Your Majesty… I honestly do not know how to use a sword.”

The King stared at the wall surrounding them, as if hoping the script of the dialogue was written somewhere on the wall, so he knew what should he said next. He let out a sigh that he had been holding since the last word spoken by Dong Ho. “I know, my son. I know. Therefore, it is about time for you to start your first journey. Find a man who can teach you how to use this sword, and come back in time.” He said.

Dong Ho nodded directly. He bowed his head a bit before he left the room, ready to start his first journey ever.

A journey he would never forget.

He started with a brave step, going out of his palace with his mighty sword on his back. He had decided to walk to the small village where people sold swords, armors, and almost everything needed for a war.

When he was about to enter the village, he met a flower boy. The boy had an angelic smile that warmed up the prince’s confused mind and worried heart.

“Good afternoon, Your Majesty.” The boy bowed politely, knowing that Dong Ho was a prince. The boy then picked a flower and gave it to Dong Ho. “Here is the least I can do for you, Your Majesty. Is there anything else you need?” he asked, still with an angelic smile crossing his face.

Dong Ho smiled at the boy. “Can I know your name?” he asked back.

The boy looked surprised, he stuttered when he answered, “M-my name is Kevin, Your Majesty.” The boy said, barely able to hide his happiness.

“Kevin, do you know if there is someone that can teach me how to fight with a sword?” Dong Ho asked directly.

Kevin put his fingers on his chin, thinking. Then his face lit up as he answered, “There is one person down there named Ki Seop who is very capable in fighting with sword, Your Majesty. I am sure you can rely on him.” Kevin said.

“Thank you, Kevin. For the information, and for the flower.” Dong Ho replied.

Kevin bowed politely again. “It is an honor to be able to help you, Your Majesty.” He said. Somehow, Dong Ho didn’t feel comfortable everytime people called him by that name.

Dong Ho gave Kevin one last smile before he continued his journey.

On the way to meet Ki Seop, the young prince met several nice yet unique people. After Kevin the flower boy, he met a jumpy, hyper fortune teller.

“Your Majesty! It is an honor to meet you here!” the weird-looking fortune teller bowed to Dong Ho. Dong Ho couldn’t tell that he was a fortune teller, because the man looked like an ordinary man. “I am a fortune teller, and my name is Alexander.” The man continued.

“Ah… Yes, nice to meet you, Alexander.” Dong Ho replied.

“Is there something I can do for you, Your Majesty?” Alexander asked.

“Uhm, can you show me the way to a man named Ki Seop?” Dong Ho said.

“Of course, Your Majesty! Ki Seop lives not far from here, you can follow this path, and you will find him definitely. His house is coated in black paint, although I kind of disagree with the idea, because black has some kind of negative power that—“

“Okay, thank you so much, Alexander!” Dong Ho cut off what Alexander was trying to say. Because he had a feeling that the man would continue if he didn’t stop him.

Alexander gave the prince in front of him the widest smile. “It is an honor, Your Majesty!” he said as he bowed one more time.

Dong Ho continued his journey, following the path just like Alexander told him to. It was in the middle of afternoon, and the sun shone brightly right above him. He felt exhausted after a long walk. He blamed the fortune-teller Alexander for telling him that Ki Seop lived not far from his last position. Just when he was about to pass out, he saw someone in a small rice field.

“Excuse me…,” the prince managed to say.

The farmer looked to the direction where the voice came, and Dong Ho still could see that the man was surprised by his appearance.

“Your Majesty,” the farmer bowed. “Are you alright? Is there anything I can do for you?” he asked.

“I-I just need a place to rest…,” Dong Ho answered.

Seeing that the young prince was exhausted, the farmer walked closer to Dong Ho and supported him with his well-built arms.

“You can always come here to rest, Your Majesty.” The farmer said.

Dong Ho took a few minutes to rest, until his energy was back. He looked to the man beside him.

“Thank you for the help, I nearly passed out.” He said.

“You’re very welcome, Your Majesty.” The farmer replied. And he was the first person who didn’t mention any word related to “honor”.

“May I know your name?” Dong Ho asked.

“My name is Soo Hyun, You Majesty.” He replied.

Dong Ho smiled at Soo Hyun. “Soo Hyun, do you know Ki Seop’s house?”

“Yes, he lives down there, just a hundred meters away. Do you want me to take you there, Your Majesty?” Soo Hyun offered. He was afraid that something would happen to the only hope of the kingdom.

“No, it’s alright. You’ve done enough.” Dong Ho replied as he stood up. “I’m going now,” was the last words he said before he disappeared from Soo Hyun’s sight.

In the middle of the walk, Dong Ho heard a strange sound behind him. It sounded like something was hiding among the bushes. He looked behind him, but nothing was there. He shrugged his shoulder, thinking it might be just rabbit or something.

He had only taken a few steps forward when other sounds approached his ears. It happened so fast. When he looked back, a warrior was standing behind him with a dead wolf on the ground.

“What…,” Dong Ho said in surprised.

“Are you alright, Your Majesty?” Dong Ho noticed the warrior who was still standing tall to protect him. The warrior was full of charisma, and just by looking, Dong Ho knew how much courage this warrior had.

“I’m alright. Thank you for saving me, you’re such a great warrior… uhm…,”

“My name is Eli, Your Majesty.” The warrior bowed.

“Ah, yes, Eli. Once again, thank you for saving me. By the way, is it right that Ki Seop lives not far from here?” Dong Ho used the chance to ask.

“Master Ki Seop? Yes, he lives just a few meters down there. He is my teacher, Your Majesty. If you are searching for someone to help you on a fight, then you’ve made a perfect decision. I can take you there if you want me to.” Eli explained.

“No, don’t worry, I can do it myself. Seems like you have another business? It’s okay to leave me,” Dong Ho replied.

Eli bowed one more time before leaving Dong Ho behind. A few more steps to Ki Seop’s house.

This time, Soo Hyun and Eli were right. He hadn’t even walked for a hundred meters when he found a black-painted house. Overflowing with gladness, the young prince walked bravely towards the house. Just when he was about to knock the front door, he heard some voices from the back of the house. Curious, he walked to where the sound came from.

Then he saw a man, practicing with his sword alone. Dong Ho couldn’t take his eyes off the man; every move he made was amazing, and Dong Ho could tell that this man was Ki Seop, and that this man was a great fighter.

Ki Seop stopped a while later. Didn’t want to miss the change, Dong Ho walked over and directly asked Ki Seop to teach him how to use the sword.

Ki Seop agreed to teach him, and soon, they began their training. Dong Ho was a fast learner, he could do several sword skills in a matter of minutes.

Three hours later, Dong Ho was ready to fight dragon Kibum with his sword and the hopes given by the people he met on his journey.

When he came back to his palace, the kingdom was in danger! Dragon Kibum was attacking people’s houses. Dong Ho didn’t waste any time. He faced the dragon with courage, preparing to strike it with his mighty sword. He ran towards the dragon, and…

--

Ki Seop paused and he found that Dong Ho had fallen into a deep sleep. He smiled at the sight of the peacefully sleeping Dong Ho. Then he fixed his blanket so the younger boy wouldn’t catch a cold. He stood up, and he kissed the top of Dong Ho’s head like a real older brother. He walked to the door and turned off the lamp.

When his hand had reached the door knob, he heard Dong Ho’s voice calling him.

“Hyung…, I want to hear the end tomorrow night…,” Dong Ho said with sleepy tone.

Ki Seop smiled gently, even though Dong Ho couldn’t see it because of the comfortable darkness. “Sure. Good night, Dong Ho.” He said. But Dong Ho didn’t let him ago.

“Hyung,”

“Yes?”

“… You could be a great story writer…,”

Ki Seop chuckled as he walked to Dong Ho and his hair lovingly. “I’m happy enough to have you as my loyal reader.”

Dong Ho covered his face with blanket, but Ki Seop didn’t miss the sight of blushing Dong Ho. “Good night, Hyung…,” Dong Ho whispered behind his blanket.

“Have a sweet dream, Dong Ho-yah… Go kill that dragon Kibum…!”