The Book of Sweet and Sour Memories

The Book of Sweet and Sour Memories

The Book of Sweet and Sour Memories

January 2002

Twelve-year old Sooyoung sighed and swung her legs back and forth, looking outside the window, watching children play. It was Saturday, her favorite day. Getting up from her chair, she smiled as the sunlight came to her face. It was warm, much better than the cold that she experienced when she had first come here.

Her smile quickly faded at the thought of going to school. She feared that people would look and laugh at her because of her accent. Due to being born and living in the States, her Korean wasn’t the best and her accent didn’t help at all.

She frowned and walked to the apartment’s living room. When they first moved in, they didn’t have much money. Renting an apartment was the best they could do. Sooyoung sat on the couch and sighed, louder this time.

Her sister, Soojin, walked in the living room from the front door as she beamed at Sooyoung. “Soo, do you want to meet our neighbors? I think they have a son that’s about the same age as you,” she smiled. “Come on!”

Sooyoung scooted closer to the couch, hugging a pillow. She hesitated. What if the boy made fun of her because of her lack of Korean? No, thank you. “A-ah…I’m fine. I’m fine here.”

Soojin frowned and shrugged. “Suit yourself,” she sighed. “You know, Mom and Dad said you have to enjoy it here. It is our home after all.”

She shut the door and went on to whatever she was doing. Sooyoung pouted and hugged the pillow more. “No, it’s not…” she muttered to herself. “It’s never going to be my home.”


“Sooyoung!” Her mother angrily opened the door to find her daughter still not dressed and sitting down. “My goodness, get ready for school!”

Sooyoung frowned and shook her head. “Mom, I don’t want to,” she said aback. “Kids make fun of me and I don’t want to hear it! It’s not fair!” Sooyoung spoke in English, making her mom even more furious.

“Speak in Korean!” She yelled in Korean but quickly sighed. Anymore and that would just make Sooyoung cry. “Please, Sooyoung. I promise, if you get ready right now, I’ll give you plenty of food afterwards. Okay?”

“Okay.” She immediately answered.


Sooyoung stayed quiet for the rest of the class. It wasn’t until the teacher announced for her and a boy to come up. It seemed the boy was also a foreigner because it took them a while to understand what the teacher had said.

When a girl next to her, Yoona she had said, told her to go up, Sooyoung had finally understood what the teacher had meant. It seemed the boy understood as well because now they were side by side, facing the whole class.

“Everyone, this is Choi Sooyoung, she comes from the USA,” the teacher smiled down on Sooyoung and went over to the boy. “And this is Han Geng, or Hankyung, he comes from China. Please give them a warm welcome.”

A few students snickered, some clapped. Sooyoung could feel her face go red. She didn’t like it at all; she couldn’t even look at this ‘Hankyung’ or whatever his name was. She returned to her seat as fast as she could.

Yoona tapped her on the arm and sent her a note. Sooyoung, curious, opened the note and was surprised. It was all written in English.

Ah, Sooyoung! Do you want to come and play with us?? We’ll introduce ourselves during break! Oh, and the girl writing this note, my name is Jessica! I was raised in the US too! I came here a few days before you did…I think we’ll get along well~! >w<

Sooyoung smiled in happiness and nodded to Yoona who smiled back at her.


“So!” Jessica said and sat next to her on the right while another girl sat on the left. “I’m Jessica. The girl next to you is Tiffany, or Miyoung, her Korean but if you want, she’s also Stephanie. She likes being called Tiffany more, so yeah. She knows English too. Those two are Yoona and Yuri, they’re always together. I mean, gosh! This girl, the best dancer, her name is Hyoyeon and next to her is our youngest, Joohyun, or you can call her Seohyun. Oh, and that’s Sunkyu! She doesn’t like it so just call her Sunny, she speaks English too. And—“ Jessica pointed to a girl on the front. “That is Taeyeon, our so-called mother.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and smiled as did the other girls. “Thank you,” Sooyoung said and smiled. “Thank you.”


“Um, unnie,” Sooyoung approached Soojin, pulling on the hem of her sweater. “Can we, um, go greet our neighbors?”

Soojin sighed and opened the door. “Mom! We’re going to visit the neighbors!” She yelled as Sooyoung followed her sister to the doorstep. “Okay, so you won’t chicken out, right?”

Sooyoung whined and shook her head. “I’m not a little kid!” She pouted and crossed her arms as Soojin laughed and patted her head. “I’m a big girl…” she muttered softly to herself while Soojin knocked on the door.

Seconds later, a woman opened it, poking her head out of the door and smiling as she saw Soojin. “Ah, Soojin, was it?” This woman had an accent, it seemed. She looked down at Sooyoung and grinned. “And who is this?”

“Sooyoung,” Sooyoung answered the woman. “Nice to meet you, lady.”

Soojin slapped her hand to her face as the woman laughed. “Call me auntie,” she responded, as she yelled to someone inside the house.

Sooyoung tilted her head.

What language is she using? Some kind of secret code or something like that?

A boy came into view as she ran down the stairs. The woma—auntie, put her hands on his shoulders and smiled at Sooyoung. “This is Han Geng, or Hankyung, my son.”


“Hankyung-oppa!” Sooyoung yelled as she raced him down the path. “You…run to fast! Don’t run to fast or you’ll trip!” Sooyoung’s American accent wasn’t helping as Hankyung doubled his laughter. “It’s not funny!” She stomped her foot and pouted.

Hankyung rolled his eyes, gave a apologizing smile, and patted her head. “Okay, it’s not funny,” he said.

Sooyoung smirked. “Your Korean is worse than mine.”

“Never speak of it.”


“Oh, that’s how you say it,” Sooyoung nodded her head. She was in Jessica and Tiffany’s ‘Korean Lessons,’ which they had kindly offered for her to learn better Korean. “Wait…are you sure that’s how you say it?”

“Sooyoung, we’ve stayed here more than you,” Jessica chuckled and winked at her. “Don’t worry too much or you’ll grow gray hair.”

Sooyoung’s hand shot up to her hair quickly as she combed it slowly. Tiffany hit Jessica in the head lightly and shook her head. “Sooyoung, say it again,” she said gently.

“Okay,” Sooyoung sighed, trying to get a better accent.

“Don’t worry,” Yuri slung her arm around Sooyoung. “Judging by your brain, you’ll learn in no time.”

“U-um…” All nine girls turned to a blushing boy, his black hair covering his eyes. Sooyoung squinted, trying to look at the boy more. Oh, that’s right, he’s in her class. “Can…I see, um, Yuri?”

“Yuri’s right here,” Yoona pointed to Yuri’s head. Looking at her, Yuri had a slight blush on her face. “Yes, Yongwoon?”

“Oh, well,” The boy shifted side by side.

Oh, yeah! We have a Yongwoon!

We did?

“Eh, er, um, here!” Yongwoon shoved an envelope to a blushing Yuri and bowed. “Uh, okay! Well, um, bye Yuri. I mean! I meant to say bye to you all! But I can’t say all your names but! I mean…I’ll leave. Okay, bye!” Yongwoon halfway ran back to a group of boys.

Sooyoung watched as he ran to a bunch of boys crowded together, patting Yongwoon on his back. A familiar boy with black hair caught Sooyoung’s attention. Hankyung was there? Sooyoung smiled and met his eyes. His eyes sparkled, smiling at her, before turning back to his group.

“Yuri! Haha, you two are so awkward, it’s cute,” Taeyeon laughed and patted her head. Yuri was now laying face flat on her desk.

Yuri smiled though, hugging the envelope to her chest. “Sorry guys,” she stuck her tongue out. “But I won’t be showing anyone! Just me~”

That received groans from everyone, including Sooyoung. “Okay, okay,” Hyoyeon pouted. “But you better tell us at least a little hint!”

“Yeah!” Sunny chimed in. “We like surprises.”


“Hey,” Sooyoung said as she swung her legs, sitting on a branch of a tree. “Why didn’t you tell me you were hanging out with your own group?”

“I had to?” Hankyung looked at her while grabbing a branch to reach a new level. “Besides, you didn’t tell me either!”

“That’s true,” Sooyoung nodded as she watched him go up. “Hey! Be careful. What are you reaching for, anyway?”

“An apple,” he responded, pulling the apple from the branch and tossed it in the air, catching it with one hand. Carefully going back to the lower level, he showed her an apple. “For you.”

As Sooyoung reached to grab the apple on his hand, Hankyung pulled it back quickly, stealing a bite then laughing and jumping down. “Hey!” She yelled, jumping down as well. “Come back here, you!”

Hankyung laughed and continued to run across the grass. “Okay, fine,” he sat, sitting down, patting the ground for Sooyoung to sit next to him. “You should remember this day.”

“Yeah,” she rolled her eyes. “I’ll remember a jerk eating an apple he was going to give me in front of my face. Oh, yeah.”

“No!” Hankyung rolled his eyes in return. “I meant like the memories. You know, when we grow older…we’ll remember the memories we made when we were kids.”

Sooyoung’s eyes widened as she clapped in happiness. “Oh, oh! Good idea!” She nodded happily. “Our sweet moments!”

“Yeah! Sweet memories for the good ones…and the bad ones…we’ll call them…” Hankyung thought for a minute and then snapped his fingers. “We’ll call them Sour!”

“Sweet and Sour?” Sooyoung giggled as both of their stomachs grumbled.

“Are you up for sweet and sour chicken?”

“Most definitely.”


March 2002

“I’m worried about Yuri,” Yoona sighed, sipping her juice box. “Every single time I see her, her face is all red and bright. Is she sick or something?”

“Yoona, I think they call it…blushing,” Sooyoung responded, playing with her chopsticks.

“What’s blushing?” Yoona asked, tilting her head. She and Sooyoung were the only ones sitting outside underneath the shade of a tree. The rest were inside, maybe doing work or asleep. “Never heard of it.”

“Um…” Sooyoung thought for a moment. She had heard her sister say it multiple times but never bothered to actually ask what it was. “I don’t know, but my sister always says that when she’s watching her dramas. Like when the main girl is red, she says it’s blushing. I don’t know what causes them to, though.”

“I guess we’ll never know,” Yoona puffed her cheeks as she pointed to the sky. “The sky is pretty today.”

“Yeah,” Sooyoung smiled in agreement. “It is.”

“Yoona!” Yoona and Sooyoung turned to see Hyoyeon running to them, a bright smile on her face. “Sooyoung! You wouldn’t believe it!”

“Yuri’s face is back to its normal self?” Yoona asked.

“No,” Hyoyeon shook her head. “I think Hyukjae and I are getting closer. I think I consider him a good friend. Like one of those guy friends.”

“That’s nice,” Sooyoung chuckled. “That’s like Yuri and Jongwoon?”

“I think,” Hyoyeon replied as she pulled both Sooyoung and Yoona up. “Come on, class is about to start. And I don’t want to be late or else the teacher’s going to throw a fit again!”


“So, what?” Sooyoung asked Hankyung one day as they played with the swings.

“What?” Hankyung asked, swinging himself on the swing to the left. Their parents were talking on the benches, discussing what it was like in China and in the States.

“What did your mother say?”

Hankyung sighed and looked down. “Sooyoung, I don’t want to talk about it.”

“But I do!” Sooyoung stopped swinging and turned to face him. A couple of days ago, Hankyung had said that his parents decided to move. Not move to another country, but to another house. A real one, not an apartment. “And I want to know!”

Hankyung left out another sigh. He knew that Sooyoung was as stubborn as he was, and he knew that she wouldn’t leave him alone if he didn’t give her an answer. “You really want to know?”

“What does it look like?” Sooyoung asked angrily. She was losing her patience as she stared at Hankyung, not blinking.

“Well…” He looked down on the ground, slowly swinging. “They said we will. In a few days we will, we’re packing right now.”

Sooyoung stopped as she felt tears come to eyes as she sniffed. “B-but it’s not fair! You said you wouldn’t leave me…” she said quietly and began to whimper.

Hankyung frowned as he got up, put his hand on her shoulder. “Hey, now,” he said softly as Sooyoung began to sob. “We still see each other at school and I can come over anytime.”

“You…you’re not nice! Not nice at all!” Sooyoung cried, hitting Hankyung softly.

Hankyung took out a handkerchief and wiped Sooyoung’s tears. “Really, can you call yourself a lady with this face?” He chuckled softly as he patted her head and slowly hugged her, letting her cry hard on his shoulder. 


“Oppa!” Sooyoung whined as she crossed her arms waiting for Hankyung to come inside the house again. He looked at her as she pointed to the box in front of her. “It’s heavy…”

Hankyung laughed and put his hands on the right side of the box. “Okay, little girl, here’s what you can do,” he said. “I’ll carry this side and you carry that side. Understand?”

“Can’t you carry the whole thing?” Sooyoung joked, putting her hands on the right side of the box. “It’s make you look more manly and stronger to protect me, of course.”

Hankyung rolled his eyes and carried his portion. “Yah, just because I’m a guy doesn’t mean I have to do all that stuff,” he replied, carefully moving backwards. “Watch your step, I don’t want you tripping.”

“I’m not a little kid anymore!”

“You’re twelve yet you have a brain of a three-year old and a stomach of a forty-year old,” Hankyung shook his head. “You’re so unique.”

“Yeah, so unique you won’t find anyone like me.” Sooyoung said cheerfully, setting the box inside the roaring truck. “My arms are so sore.”

“If your arms are sore, what about mine?” Hankyung groaned and went to pat Sooyoung’s head. “Are you getting taller?”

“That funny moment when I’m taller than you!” Sooyoung said happily. “Then I can make fun of your height like you did with mine last year.”

“I never made fun of your height!”

“Yes, you did!”

“No, I didn’t!”

“Yes, you did!”

“No!”

“Admit it or I’ll throw a book at you!”

“…Yes, I did.”

“I love you.”

“I hate you too.”


“Hankyung, are you ready to go?” His mother asked him as she hugged Sooyoung’s mother one last time. “We’ll be waiting then.”

Hankyung faced Sooyoung and ruffled her hair. “Okay, don’t talk to strangers, don’t run too fast, don’t eat too fast, don’t yell or shout, don’t whine, and don’t frown. Frowning doesn’t look good on you. Smile, little girl, smile.”

Sooyoung started to cry again, hitting him on the chest. “I know! I’m not a little girl,” she said in between sobs as she went and hugged the soul out of Hankyung.

“Yeah, I know you’re not,” he said, hugging her back. “But you’re my little girl anyways.” He said his good-bye, kissed her on the cheek and went inside the truck, waving to her until he slowly went away.

“You dummy,” Sooyoung whispered as she waved to the truck moving farther and farther away.


Sweet Memory—

Today, Oppa and I had a water fight or a competition, as we like to call it. Whoever threw the most water balloons into the blue bin wins! I was winning but I guess Oppa didn’t like that so he started throwing his balloons at me. At first, I was mad but then I threw some at him too. Then we threw more at each other and we realized how much fun it was that way! Hehe, it was an awesome day~

-Sooyoung, March 2002

Sour Memory—

When my parents said we were moving, I was stunned. I thought, ‘How am I going to tell Sooyoung about this?’ Knowing her, she’ll mostly cry. Then hit me with a book or something. I told her today, she did indeed cry but understood. No problem, I’m just moving a few blocks away. I hope she doesn’t miss my Beijing Fried Rice too much…

-Hankyung, March 2002


April 2002

Sooyoung puffed her cheeks. April Fools. Ugh, she did not like this day, not at all. The prank that Hankyung did to her last year was enough and she knew that he was going to do something this year again. She paced around and played with the strands of her hair.

“Unnie,” Seohyun shook her shoulder then giggled. “You’re spacing out again. Something in your mind again? Homework or chores maybe? Or possibly a boy?”

“Yeah, right,” Sooyoung responded, putting her head on her table. “It’s because of April Fools. I don’t want to have to think about what does idiots are planning this year. Last year was enough memory for me.”

Seohyun shrugged as the rest of the group came over to the two girls. “I was thinking,” Hyoyeon spoke up and snapped her fingers. “Since last year was a horrible April Fools, um, for Sooyoung…”

Sooyoung glared in return. “Don’t say anything.”

Hyoyeon nodded quickly and grinned. “We should pull a prank on them! We all agree, so what does the food-eater and baby think?” Seohyun rolled her eyes and smirked, obviously she was in. Sooyoung smiled innocently, nodding.

“Let’s do it.”


“Hankyung hyung, I can assure you that this year won’t be as bad as last year,” Hyukjae let his hands go low. “Okay, so maybe we went a little far but uh, it wasn’t that bad.”

“You nearly killed her, you monkey,” Hankyung shook his head. “Forget it. I’m not going to join April Fools this year, Sooyoung nearly killed me.”

“Kids, he’s right,” Jungsu spook up. “The teachers nearly expelled us so I say…” he looked at the group. “Let’s keep it to a minimum, okay?”

The group except for the two groaned. “Fine,” Heechul sighed and sat down. “Then here’s what we can do.”

Heechul and Siwon put tape on a piece of string, attaching it to a coin. Immediately, the group already knew what they would be doing. Hankyung looked up and shook his head but chuckled.

All thirteen boys then put aside the coin near the girls’ table as they all crowded in hopes that one of the girls would pick it up.


“So, what do you have in mind?” Yuri asked in interest. It was their first time ever pulling a prank on someone. Let alone the guys. “Hopefully, we can do something…”

Sunny sighed and pulled her hands to her cheeks. “Any ideas?”

Sooyoung thought for a minute, looking at the window. It was raining, a usual weather for Seoul. Sooyoung sighed, she didn’t like the rain. It meant getting wet. Sooyoung frowned but suddenly jumped on her chair. Maybe the rain will help her this time! “You guys,” she said, getting their attention. “Do you have any confetti or anything like that?”

“Confetti?” Taeyeon looked at her in a weird manner. “Uh, no? Why?”

“I got a prank,” Sooyoung smirked. “but I need confetti.”

“How about we just cut off some bits of papers and pretend it’s confetti?” Tiffany suggested.

“Good,” Sooyoung smiled as Tiffany and Jessica began cutting paper. “And have you seen the guys’ umbrellas?”

Yoona and Yuri looked at each other. “I don’t they all brought their umbrellas,” they said, sneaking a quick peek at them. “but most brought theirs. Why?”

“Okay,” Sooyoung smiled, rubbing her hands together. “Two of us will distract them, and two of us borrow their umbrellas.” She looked at the remaining six girls, until Taeyeon snapped her fingers and chuckled. She figured it out.

“Yoona and Yuri will distract them,” Taeyeon instructed. “Hyoyeon and Sunny will borrow the umbrellas.” Yoona and Yuri went off to the guys as Hyoyeon and Sunny went as sneakily as they could to the umbrella section.

“You’re a genius,” Taeyeon grinned, taking a seat next to Sooyoung.

“That makes you one too, since you figured it out,” Sooyoung laughed.

Seohyun puffed her cheeks and crossed her arms, sighing as her unnies blabbered.


“They’re definitely not getting it,” Shindong mumbled.

“Wait a few more minutes,” Heechul assured. “There are nine girls. I think we can get at least one of them to pick up the coin.”

“Yes, a small coin,” Kibum muttered then leaned back to his seat.

“Hey, you guys!” All thirteen boys jumped off their seats as Heechul hid the string he was holding onto his pocket as he smiled his innocent smile to the two girls. “What are you doing?”

“Oh, uh, nothing,” Jungsu spoke for them.

“Aw, that’s no fun,” Yuri giggled as Yoona nodded sneaking a small glance to the two girls looking inside the cabinet where the boys hid their umbrellas. “I’m sure you were up to something. Especially on a day like this, right?”

“N-not at all!” Jongwoon exclaimed as Ryeowook hit him lightly on the hand. “Just discussing the math homework with Kyuhyun.”

“Yeah, these noobs don’t seem to know anything about math,” Kyuhyun shrugged and shook his head. “They’re pretty much hopeless if I don’t help them.”

“You little—“ Youngwoon came to him but was stopped by Jungsu.

Yoona smiled as she put a hand on an empty seat. “Can I?” Siwon smiled and nodded. Yoona and Yuri sat next to each other, blocking the guys’ view of the cabinet. “What have you been doing?”

“Nothing!” All of them replied nervously. Hankyung coughed. “How about you? How have you been doing, Yoona?”

Yoona smiled as Yuri looked at Hyoyeon and Sunny. Sunny gave a thumbs up as Hyoyeon winked as the two slowly made their way back to their original spot, way across from where Yoona and Yuri were. “I’ve been writing,” she responded, carefully brushing the strands of hair away from her face. “Thank you for asking, oppa. I’d like to ask the same for you.”

Hankyung smiled kindly. “Sungmin and I have been learning more Chinese martial arts, actually,” he said, nodding towards Sungmin’s way.

Yoona giggled and clapped her hands. “Very cool,” she replied.


“Okay, so now what?” Sunny asked. Sooyoung and Taeyeon nodded to each other. Tiffany and Jessica came with a box full of paper bits. “Wait—“

“Open it,” Seohyun said as she held the box of paper bits to Sooyoung’s direction. “And you’ll put it all, won’t you?” Sooyoung winked as she put the paper in each umbrella. Unfortunately, there were only eight umbrellas, but that was good enough.

“I want to ask,” Taeyeon looked at Sunny’s direction. “How do you know that these were their umbrellas?”

“Easy,” Sunny answered, and then pointed to the side of each umbrella, letting out a giggle. “They all put their names. And I noticed, they each put ‘Super Junior.’ I don’t know why.”


Yoona laughed as Hankyung and Sungmin continued to accuse each other of their bruises but ended up laughing at each other. “So, wait….Sungmin hit Hankyung on the head while Hankyung hit Sungmin on the face?” Yuri asked in between laughter.

“Hey! You never told us that!” Heechul pouted and flipped his hair as Hankyung rolled his eyes.

Sungmin answered, “If we did, you would be making fun of us until we’re fifty.”

“Now I will,” Heechul proudly answered.

Yuri nudged Yoona on the arm as she got up the chair. “We’ll be going now,” she announced looking at them then to Jongwoon. “See you later, oppa.”

Yoona bowed shortly then smiled. “See you later,” she said softly as she and Yuri went to go back to their spot.

“What took you so long?” Seohyun asked.

“Yoona here was chatting a little too much,” Yuri rolled her eyes as Yoona bowed her head down. “Actually, chatting too much with Hankyung.”

“What?” Sooyoung’s head shot up quickly that Taeyeon turned to look at her.

Yoona smiled softly. “Oh, no. Hankyung oppa was nice, that’s all,” she chuckled as she sat down once again. “Anyways, what were you doing?” Hyoyeon had filled both the girls in as Sooyoung stared at Yoona then to Hankyung.

Somehow, she was feeling something inside. She shook the feeling away, though it managed to come back. Huh, weird.


The following day was the end of the day. The boys groaned, their plan not working after all. The rain stopped, though it was still drizzling. Sooyoung and the girls went to the boys as they took their umbrellas out of the closet, not opening them.

“See you guys later, then!” Ryeowook smiled brightly, waving to each of the boys before leaving with Jongwoon.

“Too bad our plan didn’t work,” Heechul groaned as Siwon rolled his eyes before pushing me out of the door. “Oh…well. My mom’s probably waiting at the valet. Later, losers.”

“Well, I’ll be excusing myself,” Kyuhyun smirked before getting up. “Next April Fools, we’ll get them for sure. Now, have you seen Changmin? I have to find that monster eater so we can leave.” Kyuhyun sighed, sometimes not liking the fact that he had to carpool with Changmin. He waved lazily before leaving the classroom.

Sooyoung watched as the eight boys went into the entrance of the school. Sooyoung and the girls had already gone ahead of them, underneath their shared umbrellas. As the boys opened their umbrellas, they got a surprise.

The bits of paper went raining down on them as they looked up. The girls laughed as Sooyoung yelled as loudly as she could, “April Fools!”

Sweet Memory—

It was too awesome! So, today, the girls and I decided to pull a prank of the guys since they did it the last time, right? And it was so cool! The bits of paper just came running down on them. Of course, they attempted to catch us but we were faster. Hehe, hear that? Yeah, that’s right! Girls can run too! Ah~ I actually liked this years’ April Fools. I just have to worry about what they’re going to do next year…Oh boy.

-Sooyoung, April 2002

Sour Memory—

Gaaah. Why am I getting the Sour memories? Oh, well. Since Sooyoung never said what happened last year, might as well say! It’s better to remember than to forget, right? Good thing I’m writing in permanent ink…okay, so last year! Sooyoung really hates ice cold water, so what we did was when she went inside her room, a bucket or water came dropping down on her. She got mad and said, “You could have killed me!” She got us well this year, I have to admit…Oh well. I’ll get her bad next year.

-Hankyung 2002


May 2002

Sooyoung liked May. It was close to summer, and summer meant nice and warm weather. As she closed her eyes, she smelled the aroma of her almost-ready special fried rice. “Mhm…” she mumbled. It has been a while since she got to have a taste of that. “Yah, Oppa! Finished yet?”

Hankyung came out of the kitchen, two bowls on his hands. “Yah, didn’t I tell you to stop saying ‘yah’ to me?”

“But you’re saying it to me,” Sooyoung grinned, reaching for her chopsticks. “Anyways, thanks! Hoho, I can’t wait!”

Hankyung rolled his eyes and smiled. “Be sure not to eat too fast,” he chuckled. “Because I am not saving you like I did the last time.”

Sooyoung pouted but listened to him likewise. The last time she had eaten too fast, Hankyung had to fan because it was too hot. The memory was written in the Sour Memory section for a reason. “Hey, you never told me how you made your fried rice.”

Hankyung thought for a minute. “Back in China, my parents taught me,” he grinned and pointed his spoon at her. “I won’t tell you my secret ingredient though. It’s only for my eyes…and ears.”

Sooyoung scoffed and nearly threw her chopsticks at him. “Then when can I learn it? Will you teach me one day?” She tilted her head, grabbing a handful and carefully putting it into . The rice was not too hot, not too cold, and just right. And it tasted so good.

“Of course I will teach you one day,” Hankyung replied, eating with his eyes closed, a habit of his that Sooyoung had noticed since the day they first ate together.

“Then…when?” She asked. She was curious and couldn’t wait to learn as soon as possible.

“When we’re married,” Hankyung responded, looking back at her. “Then I can tell you.” Sooyoung smiled widely as she shook her leg.

“You promise?”

Hankyung rolled his eyes and nodded. “I promise.”

“Pinky promise?”

Hankyung bursted into laughter and shook his head. “Okay, okay, pinky promise,” he agreed, wrapping his pinkie finger to Sooyoung’s.


“Hey, Sooyoung,” Yoona smiled, setting her books aside to the desk beside Sooyoung’s. She smiled brightly as she put a clip into her hair, getting rid of the bangs covering her eyes.

Sooyoung greeted her and smiled at her dongseang. “Good morning, Yoona,” she said. “You look quite happy today.”

“Oh?” Yoona asked then giggled softly. “No, no. Just…feeling happy that’s all. I don’t know why, I just like mornings now.”

“Oh, okay,” Sooyoung answered, unconvinced. Yoona seemed a lot more…excited since last month. Or was it not excitement? Or like happiness, maybe? “Mornings are pretty…nice?”

Yoona smiled. “They are, aren’t they? The perfect time to get ready, be fresh, and to start a new day!”

Like someone I know.

“Morning~!” Yuri ran up to them and slammed her hands to the desk. Yoona raised her eyebrows to her direction and hugged her books. “I now know why!”

“Huh? What?” Sooyoung asked.

“Why the guys call themselves ‘Super Junior’. It’s because, they said, one day they’ll be singers and that’s going to be their group name. Strange, isn’t it? Super Junior? At first I thought he said it was Super Janitors or whatever,” Yuri chuckled a bit.

“Where’d you hear that from?” Sooyoung wondered.

“Oh, from Jongwoon-Oppa, of course,” Yuri answered. “Anyways, we should have our little group name, too! Wouldn’t it be so cool?”

Yoona laughed softly as Sooyoung shrugged. “We’ll discuss when the rest come.”


“A group name?” Taeyeon questioned in interest. “Seems nice but what are you going to use it for?”

“Uh, to introduce ourselves, maybe?” Seohyun giggled in joy. “Like, when someone asks us, ‘Oh! Who are you?’ Instead of having to say our names, we can just say, ‘We are blah blah blah!’ Saves time.”

Jessica shrugged and smiled. “Fine, then. So, what’s our little group name?”

Everyone turned to face Taeyeon, their eyes widening. “You guys are really…” Taeyeon muttered, loud enough for the whole group to hear. She sighed, putting her hair behind her shoulder. “Um…I’m not good with these, you guys know that.”

No one spoke, just stared at the leader. “Ugh, fine!” She pouted and thought for a minute. “You know, we should have a generation for just girls.”

Hyoyeon looked at her. “What does that have to do with our group name?”

Sunny snapped her fingers. “Oh~ So our group has something to do with the generation of the girls! Yeah, girls should have a generation for themselves. The guys have had too much spotlight these past few years already.”

“Make that forever,” Tiffany added, laughing a bit. “Hm~ We should call it Girls’ Generation, then?”

Taeyeon smiled and nodded. “How do you say that in English?”

Jessica grinned. “You say, ‘Girls’ Generation.’”

“Girls’ Generation…I like it,” Sooyoung smiled and nodded.

Taeyeon grinned. “From then on, we are Girls’ Generation!”


“Kyuhyun!” Jungsu whined. “I don’t get this at all! How do you even do this? Like, I don’t get what you’re trying to say!”

Kyuhyun slammed his face with his head and looked up the ceiling. “Why, me?” He groaned silently. “Okay, so first of all, why did you not ask the teacher? Second of all, why did you not ask your own mother? Third, why the heck am I always helping you guys? Aren’t the youngest supposed to do nothing and relax?”

“Well, you did skip grades…” Donghae mumbled, chewing on his pencil eraser. “And you got into the honor roll so it makes sense why we come to you for help.”

Kyuhyun shook his head and sat down again. “Okay, I need all of your ears,” he glared at each person. “Now, listen up!”


“Wow, I wish I can eat his cooking,” Yoona chuckled as she folded some of her notes that she had taken when the teacher was giving out her lectures. “You make it sound like it’s really good.”

“It really was good,” Sooyoung smiled as she told Yoona about her activities with Hankyung. “Come to think of it, he’s been a really good friend of mine. We practically do everything together.”

Yoona nodded her head, impressed. “Wow, that’s so cool,” she smiled. “Yuri, Seohyun, and I do everything together to. My dad use to call us triplets. I wonder what’s it like to have a guy best friend. Must be pretty nice.”

Sooyoung shrugged. “It’s about the same. Not much difference but my sister says that girls mature faster than guys,” she wiggled her eyebrows and elbowed Yoona on the arm. “You’re too mature, Yoona.”

“I am not,” she responded quickly and put a strand of hair behind her ear. “I guess…growing up with only a dad made me the mature one. He cracks jokes and everything, but I think he’s still saddened by my mom’s leaving. I never knew her either.”

Sooyoung stayed quiet. It was rare for Yoona to talk about her mom, despite not even knowing what she looked like or who she was. Yoona looked at the expression on Sooyoung’s face then quickly changed the gloomy atmosphere back to a happy one. “Don’t worry about it,” she said. “It was a long time ago. No need to dwell on the past.

“My dad says that in order to go forward, you have to accept what had happened in the past and move on. The future, we don’t know, but the past is nothing to be dwelling on. I used to self-pity myself all the time, but my dad says that it’s my worst enemy. It just saddens me and makes me even more miserable. So, that’s why I keep a happy face. I don’t want to worry my dad anymore, he’s gone through much. And I don’t want to just stick myself on the past. I want to move on, to the future. Who knows? We can’t predict the future, no one can. So, it should be better than the horrible past, hm?”

Yoona winked at Sooyoung. Before Sooyoung could say anything else, Seohyun plopped herself in the front of the empty chair in front of them. “Hey!” She greeted and eyed them both. “Did I interrupt something?”

Sooyoung shook her head and put her hand on Yoona’s shoulder. “No,” she answered. “We were talking.” Yoona smiled at her and nodded.

“Okay,” Seohyun said. “Anyways, do you guys want to do something over the summer? Like the nine of us? Maybe we can invite the guys along too.”

Yoona chuckled. “I’ll ask my dad,” she said, before facing Sooyoung. “How about you, unnie? Doing anything in the summer?”

Sooyoung scratched the back of her head and wiggled on her seat. “We’ll actually…I’m going to the States for a visit. I think Hankyung is going to China for the summer. At least, that’s what my parents said,” she said.

“Okay,” Seohyun pouted. “Then let’s spend some good time together these last days.”


Sooyoung came home, taking off her shoes and stared at her mother doing paperwork at the table. She looked tired. As she saw Sooyoung, she took off her glasses and raised an eyebrow. “Yes?”

“Nothing,” her daughter replied, going upstairs. “I’m just glad you’re home. That’s all.”


“Hankyung!” His mother called him to the kitchen. Her twelve-year old son came running inside as she handed him a bowl. “Please cook rice, okay?”

“Sure,” he smiled. “Mom, are you going to teach me something new?”

His mother smiled, ruffled his hair, and winked at him. “I’ll teach you all of my secret recipes.”


Sweet Memory—

My mom said that she would teach me everything there is for me to know! I can’t wait. Sooyoung and even Heechul are wanting my food more than ever. Those little food monsters…I should give some to Yoona too. In fact, I should just prepare a whole picnic for all of us. That’d be nice. Someday, I hope I can open a restaurant for my family. I think it’ll succeed. You think?

-Hankyung, May 2002

Sour Memory—

What Yoona told me today, I couldn’t imagine. I’m glad she’s the mature one of the group. She’s like the second mother of the group, the first being Taeyeon, of course. I don’t think I can imagine myself without my mother. She can be a pain sometimes but…at the end of the day, she’s still my loving mother. I’m sure whatever she’s doing; she’s doing for the sake for me. I think I learned something new today. Thanks, Unnie.

--Sooyoung, May 2002


June 2002

“Oh my god, it’s so hot!” Sooyoung whined as she lied lazily down on the grass. “Even the grass is hot.”

“I don’t think that would be possible,” Hankyung laughed at her as he secretly filled a balloon full of water. “Unless you’re burning the poor grass. Now, get your lazy up or else.”

“Or else what?” Sooyoung shouted.

“This,” Hankyung kept his distance as he threw the balloon at her. Sooyoung sat up and glared at him, running to a box that contained the summer toys. She pulled out a water gun and filled it with water. “Sooyoung, no.”

“You asked for it!” Sooyoung laughed as she shot at Hankyung, giggling as she did. Hankyung had already gotten another water gun and had already started aiming at her. “That’s not fair!”

“It’s perfectly fair!” He yelled back, laughing as he did.

Their parents sighed as they shook their heads, laughing at their own kids as they chased each other like maniacs. There was a sudden knock as each adult looked at each other. Hankyung’s mother excused herself as she went to open the door. There, stood a girl, holding a small notebook.

“Hello,” she said softly, bowing her head. “Is Sooyoung and Hankyung here?”

“Oh, yes, they’re in the backyard,” his mother replied, looking at the girl. “What’s your name?”

“Yoona. Im Yoona,” she said shyly, as Hankyung’s mother led her to the backyard. “Thank you.” She smiled and went over to the two who had been resting on the grass.

“Oh, Yoona?” Sooyoung asked in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to come outside…then your house was in front of me,” she answered. Hankyung smiled and stood up.

“Say, Yoona, do you mind getting wet?” He asked.

She shook her head, put down her notebook and picked up the water gun that lay on the ground. “It’s hot anyway. Everyman for themselves!”

The three began playing yet again at the hot summer sun, a new start for the summer.

Sweet Memory—

It was nice to be with Sooyoung and Yoona, a good way to start off the summer! I can’t wait to go to China this year…I miss home a lot. I do like it here. Either way, I’m going to miss those idiots—I mean, buddies. Haha and to the girls, prompts for them for doing that joke. I’m going to miss my food eater, stay safe! Until then~

-Hankyung, June 2002

Sour Memory—

Okay, okay, I admit it. I’m going to miss South Korea, but I’m kind of happy to be going back home. I can’t wait to see my other friends there. I’m just glad that Tiffany and Jessica are coming too. Bad news is it that they’re going on a different date. I’m kind of jealous…Hankyung has another close girl bud. Ah, I shouldn’t be jealous. I’m close to her too! Still…

-Sooyoung, June 2002


September 2002

“Well, it was fun while it lasted,” Sooyoung sighed, fixing up her uniform before turning to her sister. “I can’t believe school is here again. Time moves by too quickly, don’t you think?”

Soojin shrugged and picked up her book bag. “Time flies, that’s why we have to live the moment we’re living now. And live it correctly,” she added before opening the door and walking out. “Hurry up, Sooyoung!”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes as she turned to look at her room. “Good-bye room. Back to the studying,” she shivered at the thought and ran to the table. “Okay, thanks mom! See you later, bye!” She yelled, grabbing a piece of bread, and getting on to her bicycle.

It wasn’t as hot as it was anymore, nor was it cold. Though, Sooyoung knew that when winter comes, it would be jackets and sweaters. Sooyoung had no problem with that, she didn’t like the cold, but she did like Christmas. This year had to be a good one, the first Christmas she was going to spend in Korea.

She approached the familiar school she had been attending; only this time, she’d be in a different grade and a whole different classroom. She sighed; knowing the chances of all of her friends being in the same classroom is very low.

Locking her bicycle, she put her hands into her pockets and lazily walked inside the school. Her sister preferred in going by car, but Sooyoung liked the outdoors more despite the weather. Once she set foot inside, she was attacked by a hug.

“Oh, Sunny!” She exclaimed, hugging her back. “Where are the others? Oh, wait what’s your classroom? Maybe we have the same one?”

“Class A1,” she answered. Sooyoung pouted and shook her head. “Dang it. Well, I have Taeyeon and Hyoyeon in my class, so that’s good. As well as Jungsu, Hyukjae, Donghae, and Kibum. So yay, we have Taeyeon Mother and Jungsu Father. Great. I heard we’re getting new transfer students. Class C3, I believe.”

“That’s my class,” Sooyoung sighed. “At least all of us have someone we know in each class.”

Sunny smiled and patted her shoulder. “You should go. The bell is about to ring and I think all the teachers have upgraded into strict to stricter.”

Sooyoung let out a laugh as she half walked, half ran to her classroom. Inside, she prayed that she would have someone that she can talk to in the class. Approaching Class C3, she walked in to see other students already socializing.

Man, they are fast.

“Sooyoung?” Yoona grinned widely, hugging her friend. “Oh my goodness, I’m so glad we have the same classroom! Hehe, Yuri is also here. And so is Seohyun. Isn’t that great?”

Sooyoung grinned along and nodded. “Oh, is Hankyung here?”

Yoona shook her head. “Sadly no. The guys that are here are Jongwoon, Shindong, Youngwoon, and Ryeowook. So, I’m guessing that Jessica and Tiffany are in B2 along with Hankyung, Heechul, Siwon, Sungmin, and Kyuhyun.”

“Oh.” Sooyoung said, slightly disappointed but smiled. “Well, no worries. We can always see them at lunch, right?”

“Yeah,” Yoona responded, pulling Sooyoung to a new spot.


“Kids, meet our new students. Please welcome them as they are from a different country so their Korean may not be as well as yours. But, I would like each and every one of you to make them feel welcome and maybe teach them a few words. Understood?”

“Understood,” the kids answered.

“Good, now please welcome Henry and Zhou Mi.”


Sweet Memory—

Would have been nice to have everyone in my class, but it’s fine. We all get together during lunch anyways. The two new kids are Chinese, like me! That’s cool; we took them in under our wing. Haha, that sounds funny. Anyways, they’re out-going and nice, so we like them. We also want to teach them more Korean so it’s better. Pretty glad to be back at school.

-Hankyung, 2002

 

Sweet Memory—

Although not everyone is in the same class anymore, we still have fun. I like it now. Oh, and ‘Super Junior’ just found out about ‘Girls’ Generation.’ Haha, now they want to have a challenge. Both groups found out that we all love music. Henry and Zhou Mi just joined Super Junior. Hey, we only have nine members! Oh well. We have fun together anyways, and I like that.

-Sooyoung, 2002


October, 2002

A whole month has now passed since the first day of school. It’s the time of year again, Halloween. Sooyoung loved this holiday, second to Christmas. Was it even a holiday? Oh well. It was going to be Sooyoung’s first time celebrating Halloween in Korea.

“So, Summer, we should dress similarly.” Jessica stated as each girl agreed. They would make it a Halloween to remember for Sooyoung.


“I want my revenge,” Heechul mumbled. “And revenge we shall do this year!”

“Ah, come on, Heechul,” Hankyung rolled his eyes. “It’s our first Halloween in Korea. Don’t push it,” he added, shoving his friend lightly.

“Don’t roll your eyes at me!” Heechul grumbled and crossed his arms.

“Revenge?” Henry asked, his eyes glistening. “Why? What happened to you guys? Did something go wrong? Tell me!”

Donghae laughed and nodded. “Yeah, our April Fool’s joke didn’t work on the girls so Heechul wants to get his revenge. Don’t you?”

Heechul pouted and nodded eagerly. Henry nodded his head and looked at each person with interest. “Then…can we?”

Heechul put his arm around Henry and nudged his head. “I knew I’d like you, kid!” He smiled happily and showed the others. “Come on, Henry wants to do it! I second that!”

“Fine, fine,” Siwon said. “Raise your hands if you want to do…’Heechul’s Revenge.’”

“This can’t be good…” Kyuhyun muttered.

Nine hands rose up as Kyuhyun and Hankyung slapped themselves in the face. “Oh boy, if Heechul is the leader, we’re dead.”

“I call being the leader!” Heechul said excitedly.

“We’re dead.”


Sweet Memory—

Okay, call me mean, but it was actually pretty funny about what happened this Halloween. So, what happened was, Heechul made us and himself put on black clothing, and he wore this rather scary mask. After all, we crept on behind the girls and ended up scaring them which made them scream and…chase us. Overall, it was rather exciting and funny to the both of us. Hehe…I know Sooyoung is planning her revenge so uh-oh.

-Hankyung, October 2002

Sour Memory—

Those idiots are really asking for it! Oh, that Halloween…yeah, definitely something I will forever remember. Although they scared us, they didn’t exactly ruin my Halloween. At the end, it was a laugh, that story. Still, I want my revenge.

-Sooyoung, October 2002


November 2002

Sooyoung plopped next to a reading Hankyung as she looked at him with blinking eyes. “What are you doing?”

“Hunting elephants,” Hankyung replied, not taking his eyes off his book.

Sooyoung let out a loud sigh as she hit his shoulder. “Ah, you’re no fun,” she said, trying to get his attention. “Come on, I just wanted to tell you something.”

“Is it that important?” Hankyung asked with a chuckle.

“Yeah,” she said, smiling. “So, I was thinking both our groups can do something on Christmas.”

“Ask your parents then.”

“Oh, I already did,” Sooyoung replied, innocently. “They said yes but we have to go to the park. So, can you ask your group? Please?”

Hankyung sighed and patted her head. “Sure, Food Monster,” he grinned and looked out the window. Bits of snow were falling out as the weather got colder each day. “Sooyoung, have you ever seen snow before?”

“Snow?” She asked, looking at the same direction Hankyung was looking at. “Yeah, bunch of times in television. And it’s snowing right now, isn’t it? It’s pretty.”

“It is,” Hankyung agreed. “Do you have snow back in the States?”

Sooyoung shook her head. “No, but I’ve always wanted to play in the snow. In the States, where I live, there was no snow. Before, I thought that snow were soft, really soft. So soft that you can use it as a bed,” she smiled.

“Ah, in China, it would snow like this,” he mumbled. “It was cold. I didn’t like it but I gradually soon got used to it. I like snow a lot now.”

“Hey, can you tell me a story?” Sooyoung asked.

“A story?”

“Yes, a story about China,” she said, going on the floor and putting her stomach on the ground as she looked up at him. “Go on.”

Hankyung rolled his eyes and crossed his legs. “Listen carefully, okay?”

“Okay.”

Sweet Memory—

It was nice to hear about Hankyung’s story about China and his past events. I felt as though I was with him and the two of us were there. After that, I told him about my past in the States too. It’s funny, it felt as though we were both there but we weren’t. It’s nice to have someone close to you. I can’t wait for Christmas. The sooner, the better.

-Sooyoung, September 2002

Sour Memory—

Talking about my past sure gave some sad memories. Still, it was nice to share them with Sooyoung. I do miss China lots but I’m glad that I’m starting to feel as if Korea is my home. The snow here really reminds me of home, I guess. It’s nice and sweet but sad and sour at the same time. I have a love-hate relationship with snow, hm? Haha, that sounds so weird.

-Hankyung, 2002


December 2002

It’s Christmas, soon to be New Years Eve as Sooyoung smiled at the view. Not long were the released for their break from school, it was nice to have everyone here. All the adults had gone inside while the children had gone outside, playing with the snow.

“This is revenge for you jerks!” Taeyeon yelled, throwing a bunch of snowballs at Jungsu’s direction in which he got pelted on. “What now, Dad?!”

“Aha! I knew it! Jungsu really is the father of this family,” Henry nodded while doing a face. “So, does that mean Taeyeon is my mother?”

“I’m guessing so,” Zhou Mi replied, throwing snowballs at Taeyeon’s direction. “Quick, Henry, duck!”

“Woah, woah, woah!” Jessica put her hands. “Wait! We only have nine players here while you guys have fifteen. You need to give us three players.”

“Fine,” Heechul mumbled. “Kyuhyun, get over there.”

“What? Why me?” Kyuhyun looked at Heechul with a frown.

“Because—“

“I’ll go,” Hankyung volunteered himself as he went over to the girls’ side earning happy faces from all nine girls. “Ryeowook and Henry, come here!”

The two came running to the other side as Tiffany yelled out for them to continue. Eventually, both sides built two forts as snowballs came throwing in different direction. Laughter could be heard from other children in the park as they dodged and threw.

Soon afterwards, their energy went down as each child went inside Taeyeon’s home. The home was surprisingly big enough for all of them, which is why they chose to go to her home. Each children huddled up to the fireplace as hot chocolate were passed around.

“It’s nice, right?” Yoona looked up at the man who had whispered it to her. “Are you cold?”

Yoona shook her head and smiled. “No, I’m fine, dad. Thank you.” He gave her a kiss on the cheek and returned to the other parents.

“Your dad?” Sooyoung asked.

“The one and only,” Yoona replied with a soft and small smile.


It didn’t take long for all the children to start singing Christmas songs and their eager faces in opening presents. The living room got messier as each present opened one by one. Sooyoung caught a glimpse of Hankyung and wanted to hand her present to him herself.

“Ah, oppa!” She tapped his shoulder as he looked at her. “Here,” she smiled and handed the memory book, a bow on top of it.

“What? Sooyoung, this is our book. Not mine,” he said, not taking it.

“Yeah, but it’s still thin. Next year, we can make a new one, a better and improved one. One with much more memories and it will be thicker. This is for you. Thank you for being my best friend. I don’t think there is anyone who can replace you,” she said, handing it to him.

He took him softly and kissed her on the cheek. “This is for you,” he put a small box on the palm of her hand as she looked at it with curiosity and carefully opened it.

Inside the red box was a small red bow wrapped around the chain of a locket. “Will you put on me?” She happily asked. Hankyung nodded and put it around her neck. “Thank you.”


The following day after Christmas, the families all went to a charity as each family donated an amount of money. “Okay, here you go!” Sooyoung said cheerfully as she donated her money.

The people smiled as each child donated a piece of clothing, money, and toys. Sooyoung felt good after that. Christmas is a time for everyone after all.


December 31st marked the last day of 2002 as families all over the neighborhood attended the True Jesus Church. Sooyoung searched for Hankyung as her family hurried to sit next to his family. “Yo,” she whispered next to him. “Did I miss anything?”

“Not at all,” he whispered back. A few minutes later, everyone got up, held hands and started to sing. The ones who sang the most in the church would mostly likely be the groups Super Junior and Girls’ Generation. Once the song ended, everyone kneeled down as Hankyung whispered to Sooyoung, “Your vocal’s getting better.”

“I could say the same to you,” she whispered back, kneeling down and praying.

The prayed in silence as the priest smiled at them as everyone went outside the church. The clock marked midnight as it was no longer the 30th of December but the 1st of January again. A new start, new challenges, and new memories.

“Let’s create more memories, okay?”

“Together we will.”

This marks Sooyoung and Hankyung’s Book of Sweet and Sour Memories 2002. No need for a sweet or sour memory for December because it was a very sweet memory. 2003, here we come!


Counted Words: 9,219

Kirstiana

good mother of lord. it took a while and i'll admit, i had to rush because i won't have access to internet starting on the 11th. so, um, i hope you liked this. i'm sorry it's nowhere near good but i tried. thank you for reading. c: