The Playboy

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

The movie has not finished yet so the concession stand is still not crowded. EXO and Sunmi stood in front of it as if a clash is about to happen. EXO is lined up in one side and Luhan on the other. Kris has his arms crossed on his chest while boring a death glare in Luhan’s eyes who is staring back at him wide eyed.

“I was accepted in Yonsei University as an exchange student.” Luhan explained.

“So you’re telling me you’ll be staying here longer?” Kris asked.

“Yes! And you?” he smirked.

“It’s none of your business!” he hissed.

“Wait, you know each other?” Luhan pointed Sunmi and EXO.

“Mhmmm! And we’re the “jealous” friends!” Kris wiggled his fingers like bunny ears.

Sunmi stood in the middle of them with each of her palms on their chest to set them apart. All she knows right know is that Luhan is an EXO but not in good terms with them.

“Will you please stop? Whatever problems you have with each other, settle it somewhere else!” she hissed and turned to face Kris and the rest of EXO. “I can’t believe you have been following us! What were you thinking?” she yelled.

“We’re just trying to protect you from him. He’s bad news, Sunmi!” DO blurted from behind.

“Look! I know your intentions are good but can’t you at least trust me?” their faces fell and looked at her with regretful eyes. “ this! I’m outta here… Luhan, let’s go!” she grabbed his wrist and walked out.

“Yah! Oh Sunmi get back here!” Sehun yelled and followed them but Kris held out his arm to block him. “Leave them alone…”

“But hyung?” he protested. “No! As much as I want to beat the out of Luhan right now, let’s cool it off.”

They all watch her disappear with the person they once trusted and considered a friend. “He’s definitely back, huh?” Chanyeol sighed.

“And worse, I think he just earned Sunmi’s trust! you Luhan! URGGHH!!!” Kai shouted.

Sunmi released Luhan’s wrist upon reaching the street and went in a different direction. “Hey! Where are you going?”

Her eyes burrowed to the ground with clenched fists on the side. “Going home!”

Luhan ran in front of her and held her shoulders. “I’m really sorry. I didn’t have any idea about all this. I swear!”

She softened after seeing the sincerity in his eyes. “I just wanna go home. I’m tired…”

“I’ll take you then… Let’s go back to the car, okay?” and she softly nodded.

The drive home was awkward and silent. She stared blankly out the window while Luhan kept his eyes on the road. He took glances at her and he knew she has a lot on her mind. “I can give you answers, y’know… Just ask me…”

Sunmi snapped back after hearing him speak. “Ermm… I know you’re part of the group but why does it seem like they hate you?”

Luhan decided to pull over on the side of the street to reveal his past. He shifted to his side to face her while she kept looking through the windshield.

“You see… I am the counterpart of Jongin in China. Partying every night, goes home wasted, skips school, mess around with girls, y’know typical spoiled-rich kid. I met EXO through Kris who was my childhood friend and you know how EXO is right?” she turned to face him and nodded.

“They do what I do so we all got along pretty well. We were inseparable until Mikyung came.” his voice shook.

“Who???” Sunmi asked.

“Suho’s ex girlfriend and my first love. When I knew he liked her too, I gave her up. I have so much respect for him and I can’t betray a friend as much as I love Mikyung…”

Luhan took a deep breath and continued. “One night at a party, she came to me and confessed that she never liked Suho but only me. I admit, it was pure joy knowing that the person you loved have feelings for you and the thoughts of finally being together made me feel complete… But I refused! I didn’t accept her Sunmi, I didn’t! Suho wasn't more than just a friend or leader to me, he was like a younger brother I never had….”

He dropped his head while his hands trembled and Sunmi reached out to it. “You can stop… Don’t force it!” she said.

Her gentle touch calmed him down and Luhan chose to continue. “I drowned myself in alcohol that night hoping that everything will disappear when I wake up. But I was wrong, it got worse.”

“What happened?” she asked.

“I woke up the following morning having Mikyung on the same bed with me only with her lingerie on. We were in a hotel room and I knew right away I’m gonna lose both of them.”

“Did something happen between you and Mikyung?” Sunmi added.

“No! I swear to God Sunmi, I never touched her. Mikyung even told me that nothing really happened coz it was her idea to make it look like something did happen so that Suho will leave her. She took a picture of us while I was sleeping and sent it to him.”

“Oh God Luhan! Sorry to say this but that girl is twisted. She’s crazy for doing that!”

His grip on her hand became tighter and kept his head down. “I know and I was so stupid for falling into her trap.”

“Did you explain to the guys especially to Suho oppa what really happened?”

“I did but they wouldn’t believe me. For them, I was always the heartless playboy who just messed around with girls.

Sunmi released his hand and lifted his chin up. “I believe you…”

“You do? Even if you just met me and you only get to hear it just now?” he doubted.

“Of course! Sometimes, sincere and honest words are enough.” she smiled.

Luhan raised his hand to her face and caressed her cheek with the back of his hand. He stared at her to capture her angelic features while she stared back with a confused look.

“Hey… Are you trying to think of another pick up line? Oh please Luhan, spare me!” she rolled her eyes after.

He instantly laughed at her remark. “No wonder why the guys are so protective of you!”

Luhan and Sunmi continued talking inside the parked car. The windows were slightly open to let some fresh air in with a streetlight hovering them. They got to know each other well about family, friends, school, not leaving any details out.

But everything came to an end when her phone started ringing. Sunmi took out her phone and saw the caller id to be Sehun. “Aren’t you gonna answer that?” he asked.

“NO! They went ninja on us, remember? Tch! Let him suffer!” she tossed her phone to the dashboard after.

“Don’t you know that Sehun hates it the most when his calls or messages are being ignored?”

“Believe me, I know!” she chuckled and her phone rang again but this time it was Kris.

Sunmi ignored all seven calls from the boys including several messages that include:

‘GET YOUR BACK HOME OR I WILL KIDNAP SUNGMIN!!!’ – Sehun

‘Are you still with him? Please don’t believe anything that he says, he’s a liar!’ – Suho

‘I’m outside your building. I’ll wait here until you come home safely.’ – Jongin

‘Sunmi-ah, don’t fall into his tricks. He’s known as the younger version of Hugh Hefner for a reason. Stay away from him!’ – Chanyeol

Luhan chuckled after reading Chanyeol’s message. “Aigooo~ I think I should take you home already before they send the marines to my house.” and drove off.

He stopped in front of a parked McLaren and jumped out to open Sunmi’s door. They stood in front of the main entrance while Kai watched them through the rearview mirror.

“Thank you for an amazing night. I had so much fun!” Luhan beamed with hands in his pockets.

“Yeah me too! I enjoyed a lot. Thanks!” she waved and turned to enter the building.

“Sunmi?” he asked and she faced him again. “Yes?”

“Thanks for listening as well. I appreciate it!”

Sunmi walked back to him and patted his shoulder. “No biggie… Don’t be sad, okay? You have me and Jiyong oppa… And don’t worry with EXO as well, they’re good guys… Everything’s gonna be alright, I promise!” she winked.

“Okay… I’ll see you around. Good night!”

“Good night, Luhan!” she waved and skipped into the building.

Kai’s knuckles could almost pop out from gripping the wheel and his eyes could break the mirror in pieces.

Luhan ran back to his car with smile all over his face. He passed by Kai and stared at each other for a bit but Luhan looked away first. ‘Sorry bro but I don’t think I can stay away from her now…’