Chapter One

A Christmas Gift

Yuri looked at the ring on her finger, it was... dull, it didn't sparkle like before. It was like the reflection of her relationship with her girlfriend. At the start, both of them were happy, mostly contempt, no arguments, there were only smiles and laughters. It was the old times where she felt warm hugging the girl, the times where she didn't need to worry about being late on dates, the times where... the only thing that mattered to them was being together.

And in this present, maybe the future too, Yuri felt like losing it.

Yuri was still in love with the girl, and she knew it. I knew it

The sight of that beautiful lady still took her breathes away.

So easily and subtly, that was why Yuri hadn't left her.

But for now, there was an air of hesitant that burdened between them. Her girlfriend now seemed, not far, but somehow, not fully content with what she gets. Her girlfriend was somehow turning into a form of her previous EXs. It was like all these girls ever wanted was her money and what her grandfather left for her, her fame of being famous, and etcetera. Too much to mention, but too little time to tell.

Yuri sat up; her eyes pry onto the picture frame next to her.

At that point she felt tears b from the corners of her eyes.

She held the picture softly in her hands and bought it onto the couch with her. The image of the picture always bought back her mood. She felt relieved by those smiles on the frames, and those cute little white dresses. At first Yuri felt almost like a traitor of keeping none her and her girlfriend's picture in the apartment, but that was her way. She didn't want her apartment to be a mess.

For Yuri, she had learn one important thing from her childhood.

 

The best way to keep things tidy was not to take anything out more than needed.



And that was all Yuri had done, she remembered her dad's words and kept to them as if it was a bible. Then back to the photo, Yuri's gaze lingered across the little girl who was wearing the white dress. This person was certainly bit her girlfriend, she was Yuri's childhood bestfriend. The only excess item she kept standing around in her apartment.

Yuri could feel the nostalgia coming back. Back to her memories, long before the condescending words of her rapid changing girlfriend. Yuri could remember clearly what her bestfriend was like. The girl was not picky like her other girlfriend(s), she was not bossy, she was instead, easy-going and kind. A perfect candidate for a girlfriend, well her bestfriend was also her crush. She could remember when they were kids, they used to go out and have noodles every day.

 

They had good times, and Yuri missed it.



Thus, despite the cold exterior her childhood bestfriend wore. She was the person who Yuri could confirm in making her frowns go upside down. Her bestfriend was a kind of person who didn't need gifts to satisfy, instead, just the word friends in return.

Not like her other girlfriend(s), counting this one too.

Yuri pocketed her hands into her faded jeans, leaning back on the sofa as she put back the photo to the side table.

 

Her phone rang right after.



She pick up.

"Yul..." The voice said, "I'm sorry..."

A small grin showed onto Yuri's face, she knew that her girlfriend couldn't be mad for long.

"It's okay Victoria." Yuri hushed, "We all make mistakes"

"Especially you."

The tone of the voice changed from apologetic to demanding. Yuri knew why the girl had called.

"Listen, I'm sorry for making you mad. How could I make it up to you?"

Yuri asked offhandedly knowing the mundane routine that she would go through, she reached out for a piece of paper on the coffee table to scribble down notes.

There was a long pause at the end of the line.

"Think."

"Beg your pardon?"

Yuri was struck by the verb.

"I said 'think' Yul, you are the man in the relationship"

And the line went flat.

Yuri look back at the photo of her childhood, she heaved a desperate sigh. In hope that somehow her words could reach the girl.

"Why did you leave?"

 

...



"Yuri, I told you to get a new girlfriend." Taeyeon said scratching her head, she looked up from her work table and stared at Yuri. The shorter girl took of her spectacles and carried on with a sigh. "Victoria doesn't love you"

"She does," Yuri argued. "And I love her back."

Taeyeon shook her head, Yuri was stupid yet smart, but dumbfounded-ly smart in the wrong way.

"I'm not going to argue with you anymore."

The girl decided to say as she did a no hand gesture at Yuri. Taeyeon put on her glasses again and continued her paperwork. Yuri stood restlessly on the spot, her white coat shimmered in the lights.

"Come on Taeyeon, help me think of a gift just once."

The tanned girl begged, she moved closer and stood towering over Taeyeon.

"Please?"

The shorter girl sighed.

"Just once?" Yuri pleaded.

"I helped you 21 times Yul, counting the on-the-cruise-sushi date." Taeyeon rolled her eyes, pushing Yuri off her side. "And don't you have anyone to cut open by now?"

Taeyeon changed the subject, in hope to remove this persistent friend from her room.

Yuri bit her lower lips. "I'm on lunch break."

"Surgeons have lunch break?"

"Yes they do." Yuri said with a grin.

"Slacker"

Yuri's smirk disappeared.

"Hey, I helped a life today!"

"I helped two." Taeyeon replied victoriously. "So give me a minute to finish this paper work..."

"So, you are going to help me?!"

Yuri squealed cheerfully.

"No."

"What?! Oh come on, you've been going out with Tiffany for such a long that you two seemed like you are married! Please help this friend!"

Taeyeon wanted to spring up from her chair and slap Yuri right across the face. The tanned girl was living in a deja vu, it was the only way Taeyeon could describe the latter's relationships. It was like a little tape that Yuri was living in, rewinding all the events happening over and over again, and Taeyeon, was like an audience, strapped to an electrical seat, unable to move - or else she would be fried.

"Victoria is using you. She's taking out all your money. And I'm sure when you two get married she's going to sweep all your cash away."

Taeyeon said, lecturing her friend. She saw Yuri frown again, Taeyeon felt utterly ignored; it was obvious that Victoria was using her. Even the nurse in the hospital knew, even the janitor, she even wondered if the doorman at the entrance knew. Even the people in the streets reading today's newspaper knew, Kwon Yuri was the top surgeon, not to mentioned rich. Of course everyone knew!

Well, putting this into words. Everyone in the whole wide world also wanted to marry Yuri, if not for money it's for fame. And for Taeyeon herself, she had to admit, despite all the recherche in Yuri's life. The tanned girl was also striking, not to mention a bestfriend who was kind, caring, loveable plus dependable, she's a person who Taeyeon would also wanted to marry. But the fact that she had already fallen in love and committed herself to a relationship that was not based on materialism, Taeyeon stopped her hopes for Yuri.

"She's not going to do that, she loves me."

"How exactly?"

Taeyeon skeptically stared at her friend. Again, it was like deja vu, she could exactly remember about 2 months ago Yuri was standing here (yes, they were still arguing about the same girl). Telling her the same thing. The same subject of being in love, and from Taeyeon's point of view, it was more of like being in use.

"Don't be such a cynic."

Yuri decided to sit seat herself in front of her friend's table.

"She doesn't give you anything. Does she?" Taeyeon shot a question.

The tanned girl stared down at her fingers, gnawing her jaws as she comprehended Taeyeon's narrowed inquiry.

"S-she gave warmth!" Yuri protested.

"She takes Yul, she takes. She you dry." Taeyeon repeated her point, but Yuri was still oblivious.

"Still!" Yuri exclaimed, "She's my girl friend and she needs a gift!"

"Then why don't you buy her one?"

Taeyeon propped her chin on her hands, thoughtfully tapping her fingers against the sides of her cheeks.

"I don't know what to buy.." Yuri said despondently.

"Not desperate measures, I'm not helping"

Taeyeon looked down on her paper works. She picked up her pencil and began filling in forms from earlier surgeries she did this morning.

"But Taeyeon!" Yuri said, "It's going to be Christmas soon. And if I don't get a great gift for the girl... she could..."

Yuri's voice trailed, Taeyeon was distracted from her work. She was interested in what was going to come out of Yuri's mouth, it was like she could predict what the words would be. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure such things out, just a brain surgeon would do, for the time being.

"Dump you?"

Yuri nodded.

"Good, then I'm not helping," Taeyeon couldn't help but grin; she hid her glee from Yuri and tried to act like she was doing her work.

"Taeyeon!"

Yuri whined like a kid, despite her IQ she had low EQ.

"No, now get out of my office before I call secuirity."

Taeyeon threatened, reaching for her phone situated to her right. Her fingers ready to punch in the numbers and call the hospital security guards.

"Fine."

Yuri stood up, the chair slid backwards making a loud screech.

"I'm going to think of the gift!"

Taeyeon's eyebrows shot up, her gaze met Yuri's determine ones. This was ought to be interesting, Taeyeon thought and playfully her thumb, continuing to flick over the pieces of documents spread across her table.

"Sure you will." Taeyeon scoffed and tilted her head to the side reading her report. "And tell me when you found one."

"Don't underestimate me!"

Yuri stomp her feet. Taeyeon giggled, this girl wouldn't last, she thought, maybe soon Yuri would finally know the hidden intentions of her so-called girlfriends.

"Yeah, yeah... I won't!" The shorter girl made a fly squatting gesture as if this was yesterday's news.

The tanned girl was furious; she turned around, briskly walked through the door and shut it behind with a loud slam. Taeyeon shrugged, this time Yuri was really determined. Taeyeon could feel her doubts fading, maybe Yuri would be able to find a gift, and continue feeding that leech; her pocket money dry.

The petite girl sighed, she took off her glass and rest it on the table as she leaned back on the chair. She could only wish her friend the best luck, and for now, she hoped that Yuri wouldn't make the wrong choice. Victoria, Taeyeon thought and lead her hands to the phone. This person must've played her friend's head hard and well, and to the least, if what Yuri said was true the girl could not help but wonder.

How could someone be this controlling over Yuri? By all means over her friend who liked to juggle girls around. Albeit Yuri was a nice person, the girl seemed not to find the right for herself... yet. And well, Victoria was the by far... the longest girlfriend that Yuri had stuck too. This was ought to be an investigation!

Taeyeon pressed the keypad, dialing a familiar number she could remember by heart.

"Hello?"

"Hey Fany..."

"Darling!" There was a squeal of delight.

"Want to go for a lunch?"

Taeyeon asked playing with her hair, how could her girlfriend be such a cutie pie with those smile and pouts? She imagined.

"Of course, anything you want."

"Great!"

Taeyeon said eagerly, looking forward to their meal that they hadn't have together for a long time, and of course, their talk.

"But you know something?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm just right next door, you could just walk"

The door opened, and in came a girl dressed in white with a bright, vibrant smile on her face. Her wavy hair bounced as she walked towards Taeyeon's table with a light pout.

"It seriously costs."

Tiffany waved her mobile phone about in an attempt to let Taeyeon know not to waste their hard earned money.

Taeyeon smiled cheekily and replied not really understanding the money issue, because she didn't want to.

"If it costs, that's fine. I would even buy the whole world for you"