If Only

[ONESHOT] If Only

 

Okay! This is the real update!! LOL~
I'm sorry for trolling you with my fake update last time :D
Hear this song while reading okay :D

Jo Kwon - Just a Kiss

Baekhyun wouldn’t expect something like this. He didn’t expect anything else about Chanyeol being so harsh to him.

“Stop crying!” Chanyeol shouted, putting his fist ready in the air. Baekhyun widened his teary-eyes before placing his arms in front of his head, as if shielding himself from the upcoming impact. Baekhyun waited. And waited. For another seconds he waited. But, the impact or the pain never came.

He dared to lower his arms, peeking out from those fragile limbs to see Chanyeol looking back at him with his big doe eyes along with his ragged breaths. His chest moved up and down in unsteady rhythm.  He looked horrible with that messy hair, sweaty face, and those shock-looking eyes.

Baekhyun calmed himself down as he took regular breaths.

Exhale….

Inhale…..

Exhale….

Or soothed his pounding heart, ‘Please calm down,’ rubbing his chest right where his heart was. He managed to suppress his sob from getting louder and louder.

Baekhyun was in fear. Fear to lose his usual Chanyeol. His lover.

“Oh God, baby, I’m….” Chanyeol suddenly lunged himself forward, “…I’m sorry,” and hugged the trembling boy tightly.

Baekhyun flinched due to the unexpected interaction. He put his hand between those warm bodies, as if preventing him from being hurt again.

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol released his bone-crashing hug as he lifted his body up and attached his lips on to the sweaty forehead of his lover.

“I don’t mean to hurt you, Baekhyun, I’m sorry…I’m really sorry,” He kept on chanting those words of apology over and over again. He could tell the guiltiness was the only thing he saw in those small eyes.  Those once to be the shining eyes, turning into terrified-looking ones as drop of tears rolled down his pale cheeks.

Chanyeol realized; he hurt him. He hurt Baekhyun. He hurt his other half.

And from that time on, Baekhyun changed, he changed into a different person. He vowed not to cry anymore. No matter what would happen. He’s a crybaby no more.

But some things weren’t meant to change. Chanyeol was never changed.

 

It was a bright sunny day when Baekhyun left Chanyeol at home alone. Since it was his day off from work, he planned to have a great rest at home. But today, Baekhyun wasn’t even at home. Moreover, his lover didn’t leave any notes that he’s going somewhere.

Chanyeol didn’t like this. Waking up in the morning from the blinding sunlight penetrated through the window, despite of Baekhyun’s angelic voice. He totally disliked it.

He finished wandering around the apartment to find any notes from his lover but he got none of them. Chanyeol clicked his tongue in annoyance and turned around to grab his car key before walking out from the small apartment, slamming shut the front door hard.

 

Chanyeol had this feeling. The feeling of the place. The usual place where everything solved. Baekhyun might be there. Yes, he had to be there.

He clenched the steering wheel tightly till his knuckles turn incredibly white. His eyes scanned over the road in fierceness. His breaths came in unstable state.  The anger started to overwhelm himself.

“He mustn’t do this…” he muttered under his breath, eyes still focusing on the crowded road.

Skillfully, he parked his car in the usual place as he got off the shining vehicle. Chanyeol took a step forward, entering the familiar café. Once he got in, a waiter hurriedly came up to him, “Welcome. May I—“

“Is Baekhyun here?” Chanyeol cut off the friendly waiter’s words.

“Eh?” The waiter startled.

“I said if Byun Baekhyun is here!” he repeated, tone higher.

“Baekhyun-ssi…he’s…wait a minute,” the waiter went back to the cashier desk before coming up with a guest book on her hands.

“Umm…yes, he was here awhile ago. But he already went ou—excuse me,” the waiter ceased after seeing Chanyeol rushed out the café in hurry.

“! Where are you, Baekhyun??”

 

Chanyeol wasn’t really a possessive or an obsessive boyfriend, Baekhyun could tell. But the truth told the otherwise.  Chanyeol was really the ones. He’s possessive and obsessive toward his lover. He wouldn’t let his lover slip away from his grasp for only a second. If that happened, his mind wouldn’t work in a good manner or let’s say, he would go insane. The negative thoughts would start invade his narrow mind from all the way possible.

“Are you sure Channie wouldn’t mind if we do this, Baeky?” came a worry yet heavy feelings sprouted out from those words.

Baekhyun looked up. He could see all the concerns in those glassy eyes of the friend of his. Then, his smile broke out, “Yes, of course. I know he wouldn’t mind if we arrange this, Kyungsoo-ah.”

Kyungsoo bit his lips, looking down. He didn’t think the way Baekhyun was in. “No. Of course, it’s not a big deal though about this stuff. But, I just…it doesn’t feel right to have you here…with me…only the two of us…without him,” Kyungsoo stammered, trying to say the right words.

But Baekhyun had known it better. Still, he did this. He left him without leaving any single message. And now, he sit comfortably in the park near his apartment with his fellow, Kyungsoo, without feeling afraid that Chanyeol might find them. Was he a stupid or just being innocent for ignoring those things? The things about Chanyeol being harsh to him days ago.

Baekhyun just denied those facts. Those ing-right fact. The fact that Chanyeol would become furious if he found out.

Baekhyun let a nervous laugh before responding, “You mean Channie would be jealous toward you?” He laughed again, “He won’t, Soo-ah. Don’t worry. He will understand.”

Kyungsoo let himself believe in what Baekhyun had said and gave a nod toward his best friend.

“We didn’t do anything wrong, right? So it’s okay,” Baekhyun smiled, reassuring his friend that everything was going to be okay.

 

“I’m home,” Baekhyun stepped into the cold floor of the apartment. His eyes observed his surrounding, feeling the oddness as if it’s unusual to have this atmosphere here.

“Channie?” He called.

“Channie? Are you home?” He walked into the living room to find it empty, ‘Where’s he?

He continued to walk further into the kitchen when a figure standing up in front of him, like a shadow. Before he could react to what really happened in front of his eyes, the mysterious figure suddenly shoved Baekhyun’s body against the wall. A strong hand gripped the whimpering boy’s neck tightly.

“Where have you been?” a deep voice rang through Baekhyun’s ears.

Baekhyun gasped in horror as the figure was slowly revealed. The dim light of the sun set from the window, illuminating the real face of the figure.

“Ch—chan—nniee…” Baekhyun choked out, his both hands grabbed Chanyeol’s wrist, trying to break free from the deadly grasp.

“I ask you…WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??” Chanyeol deep voice went impossibly louder as he tightened the grip on Baekhyun’s neck. The boy screamed in pain as he felt Chanyeol’s nails started to draw blood on his neck.

Baekhyun’s eyes began to water, but he attempted to restrain himself from letting the salty tears leak out, ‘I cannot cry. Channie hates seeing me cry.’

The boy struggled to breathe as Chanyeol kept on tightening his grip. Baekhyun’s face turned pale, his breathing labored, and his hands desperately clawed everywhere trying to free himself.

Chanyeol’s eyes finally caught Baekhyun’s frightened gaze as he abruptly released his tight grip on the boy’s neck. Baekhyun fell on the ground once the grip loosened. He gasped for air immediately as if giving a way for his dying lungs due to the lack of oxygen. The blood rushed up to Baekhyun’s face almost instantly.

But, Baekhyun’s shocked and terrified face was still clearly visible. He’d never been treated with this painful way by Chanyeol before. His Chanyeol was really hurting him physically since the last time they argued.

“What have I done?” Chanyeol whispered as he looked down at his hand. His nails stained with the ugly dark red liquid. He quickly darted his gaze to the slumped boy on the floor.

“Baby, are you hurt anywhere?” Chanyeol crouched down, his hand slowly trailed down the boy’s neck, finding the red mark with small amount of blood oozing out from it.

The boy shuddered under Chanyeol’s cold touch. Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol’s hand weakly before trying to lift up his trembling body.

“Let me help you,” Chanyeol’s heart crashed down as Baekhyun once again shoved his hands away.

“Baby, I’m sorry,” he whispered, begging for apology. Baekhyun looked away; his pained expression was still there. And Chanyeol intended to erase that hurtful-looking expression off his lover’s face.

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol’s shaky breath and trembled words successfully escaped from that dry lips, as he hugged the fragile boy from the back.

Baekhyun wriggled to break free at first before Chanyeol managed to soothe him, saying those ‘sorry’ for hundredth time. The boy stopped moving. Chanyeol released the boy when Baekhyun turned his body around, facing his boyfriend. Chanyeol wasn’t crying, but his eyes…his eyes were glassy. Somehow glassy with tears, Baekhyun would say.

‘This time, I forgive you.’

“I love you, Baekhyunnie, I love you,” Chanyeol croaked.

‘Because I love you, Chanyeol.’

 “I…love you too,” Baekhyun replied with tears glistening on his eyes. He finally found out that he totally loved the man standing before his eyes. He really loved Chanyeol no matter how harsh he would treat him.

 

Some said Baekhyun was the stupidest person ever. Some wondered how he managed to live with the beast who had hurt him in any possible way, while the boy could still stand to be with him. And some thought that because Baekhyun was deeply in love with the man.

Yes. They’re right. They’re totally right. Baekhyun was stupid. He was madly in love with the man. A man named Chanyeol. He could never look for another person except him.

If Baekhyun really loved Chanyeol, then he would take all the risk that the love had provided. And he did.

Baekhyun was the stupidest person ever. Indeed.

But, Baekhyun still wanted to change, to make up his mistake he’d done. He never left Chanyeol without words from then on. He managed to write a note he always posted on the fridge, considering Chanyeol would open the double door of the fridge to take out a drink every morning.

It’s been 2 weeks; Baekhyun would be leaving in early morning to nowhere, not quite abandoned Chanyeol alone at their apartment though, but Chanyeol thought the opposite. He felt he’s been abandoned by his lover. His dull mind started to work again.

“Now, now, he dares to cheat on me. Byun Baekhyun…” those whispered-words surely brought shivers to everyone who heard it. His eyes flashed red as anger began to engulf his whole mind and body.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, thanks a lot for your companion. I don’t know what to do without you by my side all this time,” Baekhyun smiled brightly.

Kyungsoo quickly waved out the thought, being humble was his natural self, “It’s not that much, Baeky,” and replied the smile before continuing, “Anyway, how’s Chanyeol? Are you two okay?”

Baekhyun flashed a sad smile before shrugging it off, “What are you talking about?” He laughed nervously. “Of course, we’re okay.”

But, Kyungsoo wasn’t being Baekhyun’s friend for nothing. He certainly saw the sad smile though it’s only for a brief second.

“Okay then. Call me if anything happen, hm?” Kyungsoo patted Baekhyun’s shoulder before taking his leave.

“Good luck with your surprise party!” Kyungsoo shouted from distance. Baekhyun nodded and mouthed ‘thank you’ before waving his hand as farewell toward the receding figure of his friend and walked back home.

It was dark. Baekhyun took a glance to his wristwatch, it said 06.13pm.

Chanyeol might be worrying me,’ with the thought, he fastened his walking pace. When he was passing the junction, suddenly a blinding light brightened his pathway. He shielded his eyes as a car stopped in front of him. The car looked familiar, Baekhyun thought.

A figure went out from the car as a silhouette and walked closer to the boy. Baekhyun felt his wrist being held and his body being dragged by the familiar warmth.

“Ch—channie, how—“

“Get in,” Chanyeol’s voice was cold, extremely cold as if it could freeze the boy in split second.

“Wh—“

“I SAID GET IN!” Chanyeol’s manly voice roared, making the latter jump. Baekhyun obliged to get inside the car as Chanyeol followed along.

“Where have you been?” Chanyeol spoke, lowering his tone, almost like a whisper.

“Huh? I…I…I was with…emm—“

“Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol unexpectedly blurted out. Baekhyun’s eyes instantly went wider, ‘Does he find out?

“How…how—“

“I know. What are you two doing behind my back?” Chanyeol snapped, glancing briefly at the speechless boy before darting his gaze toward the road.

“I…we…we do nothing, Channie. Just…” Baekhyun bit his lip nervously as his mind worked to seek a good reason.

“Both of you…” Chanyeol interrupted, Baekhyun stared at the handsome man beside him, waiting for the continuation.

“…you two are cheating behind my back, right?”

Baekhyun’s heart almost fell out after hearing the false statement from his boyfriend, ‘What does he mean?

“What…what are you talking about, Channie?” Baekhyun answered while giving a nervous laugh but his face was tense of fear.

Chanyeol glanced at the boy, feeling victorious toward the latter’s expression.

“You’re good at lying, aren’t you, Byun Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows, “I’m not lying, Chanyeol. I’m saying the truth.”

“Yes. Yes. Just say whatever. I don’t believe in you anymore,” Chanyeol’s tone began to change. Baekhyun knew that he’s mad.

“But…Kyungsoo…Kyungsoo and I are just friends, we’re…we’re arranging something for—“

“What? Breaking up with me?” Chanyeol mocked, the corner of his lips curled up into a smirk.

“Chanyeol! It’s not true! There’s nothing between me and Kyungsoo! I swear!” Baekhyun pleaded; he managed to defend himself from the untrue. But Chanyeol didn’t give any consideration toward Baekhyun’s words. He kept on speeding up the car, bringing the view outside the windows like a blurry images.

“Chanyeol! You’re too fast!”

“Then what with I’m driving too fast?” Chanyeol sneered, didn’t care of what safety meant anymore.

“Slow down!” Baekhyun shouted.

“Shut up!!! Let me have some fun!” Chanyeol shouted back, looking at Baekhyun with his eyes full of anger.

“Look out!!” Baekhyun yelled briefly before the car was thrown aside toward the dark downhill area with trees. Everything rolled like pile of vague pictures. He saw a glimpse of the road, the light, the dark sky, the trees and Chanyeol. Chanyeol was the only thing he saw before the car rolled the way down the small hill. He could hear the sound of metal scraping, twisting out of shape, and felt the excruciating pain on his head of the huge impact from the rolling car. All the flashbacks were playing in front of his eyes before everything was swallowed with darkness.

 

“Baby? Oh my God!” A deep voice invaded his brain, sending massive impulse in the nerves and giving him responses, ‘Channie?

“Baekhyun-ah,” there was this voice again. Baekhyun’s brain worked. ‘Is that you, Channie?

“Do you hear me, baby? Please open your eyes,” the voice was heard, the same voice, the same owner. ‘I can hear you, Channie, but I can’t open my eyes. It’s so….heavy.

“Please open your eyes, baby, please,” the voice started to plead along with shaky breath.

Baekhyun’s eyes fluttered open; he immediately winced in pain as the painful wave surging his injured head.

“Baekhyun!! Oh thank God, you’re awake!” Chanyeol’s voice became evidently clear as Baekhyun’s cloudy vision turned obviously clear as well. Baekhyun groaned as Chanyeol lifted his body up, sending a jolt of pain throughout his body.

For a moment he felt his vision blurred before turning clear again. The burning feeling inside his head wouldn’t disappear.

I cannot cry.

“Channie,” he called weakly, “My head hurts.”

Chanyeol quickly examined Baekhyun’s head carefully without hurting the latter. Baekhyun’s head seemed fine. There’s no blood oozing through it or a large wound patched into it.

“Your head is fine, baby. Nothing’s to worry about,” Chanyeol told as he finished checking out Baekhyun’s unscratched head.

I cannot cry.

“But, why does it hurt so much?” Baekhyun bit his bottom lip, trying to suppress both the pain and the sobs which threatened to escape.

“It hurts,” he mumbled.

I’m crybaby no more.

“It’s okay, baby. Maybe it’s because of the last impact you got on the head. It will be gone soon,” Chanyeol continued to drag both himself and Baekhyun toward the road uphill.

 “Chanyeol, stop, I can’t walk anymore,” Baekhyun stopped as he clutched his aching head and slid down the ground, leaning on the tree.

“Hey baby, are you okay?” Chanyeol crouched down beside him.

Baekhyun nodded as he massaged his temples, “Just my head hurts.”

“Baekhyun-ah…” Chanyeol called. Baekhyun mumbled, “Hmm?” while still massaging his temples.

“I…,” Chanyeol took a deep breathe before continuing, “I’m sorry.”

Baekhyun looked up a little, his eyes narrowed, his eyebrows furrowed, his lips trembled, “What for?” he breathed.

“For accusing you. I just…can’t control myself. I keep on hurting you. I’m sorry,” He released a long yet deep breath as he hold Baekhyun’s free hand.

Baekhyun’s vision went blurry as everything faded in and out, but he managed to eliminate those horrible feelings away.

“I won’t be like a jerk anymore,” Chanyeol gave a reassuring smile.

“It’s okay,” Baekhyun smiled, “I know you’re a good person, Channie-ah.”

Chanyeol couldn’t drop that wide smile off his face as he leaned forward and put his warm lips on to the sweaty forehead.

“Anyway…” Baekhyun paused after closing his eyes for a short while, “…do you have an appointment tomorrow?”

Chanyeol shook his head. He lied. He’s sure tomorrow would be his busiest day, but he didn’t want to let those sparkling eyes lost its light.

“Good then. Could you come with me to Angel Café tomorrow evening?”

“Yes, of course. Anything for you, baby,” Chanyeol smiled. And Baekhyun smiled back.

Unfortunately, Chanyeol didn’t notice the smile he previously saw was slowly fading away as Baekhyun scrunched up his face, as he was in great pain.

The sound of loud sirens had made Chanyeol turned his head toward the bright light above. Ambulance?

“The driver! It must be him who called those paramedics here!” Chanyeol turned back to face Baekhyun to find Baekhyun’s body had collapsed to the ground. His body was unmoving. His breaths were slow and shallow.

“Baby? Hey…” He moved closer to the limp body.

Chanyeol patted Baekhyun’s cheek to receive no response from the latter. His eyes widened. His breathing quickened. His hands went stiff along with a sense of something cold grabbed his heart.

 

“I’m sorry, sir.”

“What do you mean by saying sorry?”

“He’s….he’s already gone when he got here. We couldn’t recharge his heart to work again. We…we’ve done our best, sir.”

“No…no! I saw him! He’s fine! He’s totally fine! I didn’t find any wound on his body! How could he—“

“It’s internal bleeding, sir. He had injured his head. The collision made his head bump into something hard, and the internal bleeding occurred due to the rupture of the blood vessels in the brain.”

“Internal bleeding? But—“ he stopped.

Then everything started to flood back, playing like a movie inside his head.

From the day he threatened the boy for not being a crybaby. And he never found Baekhyun cry or shed any single tear from his eyes.

And the harsh thing he ever did when he strangled the boy to death. He could feel his hand tightened on that fragile neck, almost bringing the boy to meet his end. But Baekhyun always forgave him, as he gave his complete trust in Chanyeol.

And now today, he finally let himself kill the innocent boy, who knew nothing but giving his unconditional love toward the one he loved. No matter how bad Chanyeol had treated him, in every possible way, Baekhyun would never leave him.

However, the boy, the boy who had dedicated himself as Chanyeol’s lover, the boy who never gave up his heart to anyone else, the boy who was known as the stupidest person ever, the boy he’d accused as a backstabber, the boy who could manage to bring something special for his lover in his very last time, and the boy named Byun Baekhyun, was gone. He’s no longer living in the earth.

 

November 27th, 2012

Chanyeol stepped inside the Angel Café as what Baekhyun had asked him to. As soon as he entered the quiet café, a sudden commotion began to ring in his ear. The hectic atmosphere went in his line of vision.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PARK CHANYEOL!!!”

A loud noise chanted his name as he’s dragged further. The café was different. Yes, it was. The decoration, the huge hand-writing said ‘CHANYEOLLO B’DAY PARTY’ hanging loosely in the middle of chamber, some big speakers were placed in every corner of the room, and the last a big birthday cake was standing in the bright side of the room. A round of applause from those familiar faces filled up the room. But Chanyeol didn’t feel happy at all.

Everyone started to give him birthday wishes one by one; still he put the happy mask on his sad face as he greeted everyone in the room.

Kyungsoo was the last one who came after him. The two men walked up to the balcony to feel the cool wind breezed through their warm eyes, tranquilizing their aching-heart.

“Happy birthday,” Kyungsoo spoke first. Chanyeol smiled, “Thanks.”

“Baekhyun arranged all of these,” Kyungsoo began, his eyes scanned through the whole room in amusement.

“Yes I know,” Chanyeol mumbled; following the latter’s gaze.

Kyungsoo brought back his gaze into the man, “You knew?”

“Hm,” Chanyeol answered without looking back at Kyungsoo.

“How?”

“Because…” Chanyeol breathed, “….because only him…only Baekhyun could do these entire amazing thing. Only him.”

Chanyeol looked back at the stunned Kyungsoo. “What?”

Kyungsoo snapped, “No…nothing. It’s just….the rumor was all lie then.”

Chanyeol’s eyebrow scrunched up together, “What rumor?”

“That rumor,” Kyungsoo set his gaze on the curious man, “The rumor that Baekhyun was fooled by his cruel boyfriend.”

“Ah…that’s…not entirely a lie though,” he swallowed the lump in his throat.

“Baekhyun is the greatest boyfriend ever. None could match his loyalty or his ultimate love,” Chanyeol smiled.

“Yes, you’re right. You’re lucky to have him then,” Kyungsoo continued.

“Hm. I am. If only I….I didn’t treated him that way. I should’ve let him cry instead,” Chanyeol’s eyes moistened with tears.

 

“Why?” Kyungsoo asked, feeling confuse of matching Baekhyun’s death with the crying thing.

“Because I let him suffer from the pain for too long. He restrained himself to not cry, but I let him hold the pain by himself. I never knew how bad the injury was if he wasn’t crying. I had too much to see him cry, I just didn’t want to see that painful sight anymore. But, I ended up injuring him.”

Kyungsoo nodded. Finally, the things were revealed. Making a good sense to reconcile the messy things altogether.

“Hm…and that’s my entire fault to drive in that speed on highway,” Chanyeol continued. Kyungsoo hung his head low.

“You know what?” Kyungsoo said.

“What?”

“Baekhyun spent his 3 months salary to reserve this whole café for your birthday.”

Chanyeol’s mouth opened, “What? But his salary was—“

“Yes. It wasn’t that much, but he did some part time jobs starting in the morning until the late evening,” Kyungsoo paused for a moment, “But, I often saw his sad face every time I met him in his workplace.”

Chanyeol’s heart clenched. ‘I really did hurt him.

“But he always smiled. He never dropped those beautiful smiles off his face, even his heart was aching.” Chanyeol cringed in every word Kyungsoo spoke.

“And I’m being a stupid boyfriend who didn’t see those things coming, who didn’t notice his efforts to make this happened. I came up with those bad thoughts about him instead,” He buried his face in his large palms, remembering the bad deeds he’d done. ‘I’m useless.’

A sudden silence spread through the atmosphere between the two.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” the taller man spoke, turning his head to face the smaller man. Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows, answering.

“Thank you…” Chanyeol smiled, “…for being Baekhyunnie’s best friend.”

The smaller man smiled back, mouthing, “It’s nothing,” with his low voice. His throat went dry as he released those sad sobs along with the salty liquid went out his eyes. The tears that threatened to fall was unbearable to pour down eventually.

Chanyeol hugged to shaking man, soothing the words, “Baekhyun is in a beautiful place now. Yes he is,” to his ear over and over again.

“If only…I could turn back the time,” Chanyeol whispered as he threw a gaze to the sparkling stars above.

THE END

a/n: Okay! I know I've killed Baekky for the sake of this story >.<
But, he'll always be in my annd Channie's heart for sure XD
Anyway, thank you so much for those who subscribed, commented, or read :)
And for the silent readers, yes, thank you for reading too :DD

I promise to improve my writing skills and provide you with angsty stories in the next days ahead :)
Stay tune with me always, okay! :D

channiebaekkybaekyeol