Chapter One

We Weren't Ready


“Should I make it thicker, or leave it thin?”

Kyungsoo sighed as he looked up at his friend Baekhyun, who was currently in the process of applying black eyeliner. Since Kyungsoo’s mother decided to invite some of her boisterous friends over for breakfast, he had concluded that he’d go to his friend’s house for some peace and quiet before school started. However, that did not go as planned, seeing how Baekhyun insisted on pestering the younger on what he should wear to school.
 
“You should thicken it,” responded Kyungsoo before he turned to lie on his side. “It makes your eyes more… define, if that makes sense.”
 
“That’s just what I’m aiming for.” Baekhyun smiled while he stared intently at the mirror in front of him.
 
Kyungsoo stared at the older Junior in pure amusement, as the latter constantly pressed the tip of his eyeliner against his eyelids. He just couldn’t fathom how somebody, let alone a guy, could spend several minutes applying a fraction on makeup on their face. To him, it was a complete waste of time.
 
“This is why you wake up an hour early?” Kyungsoo questioned, whilst Baekhyun added the finishing touches. “Just who are you trying to impress?”
 
“Nobody!” Baekhyun rapidly answered when he caught a glimpse of the smirk on his friend’s face.
 
It was no secret to Kyungsoo that Baekhyun was a little infatuated with the school’s social butterfly Park Chanyeol. Not that the former showed any of those cheesy crush symptoms, but he would inevitably blush when Chanyeol would compliment him on his eyeliner. Other than that, it would be quite difficult for people outside of their regular friend group to notice his small infatuation.
 
Baekhyun, who decided it was time to change the subject, finally put his eyeliner down. “It’s a miracle you aren’t studying for your Statistics test.”
 
A groan escaped Kyungsoo’s lips as he rolled onto his back. “I’ve done enough of that last night. Anymore studying and I think I’ll start vomiting equations and whatnot.”
 
His friend merely laughed at him, but before he got to respond, his mother told him that there was someone waiting for him at the door. With a Baekhyun-less room, Kyungsoo thought that it wouldn’t hurt to take a short nap. He had devoted himself to studying all night, which he thoroughly regrets doing since he lost all the energy necessary to keep his eyes open.
 
Too lost in his nap, Kyungsoo didn’t notice the presence of another figure in his friend’s bedroom. So when he felt a hand squeeze the side of his stomach, he couldn’t help but let out a low shriek and jump up into a sitting position. More awake than ever, Kyungsoo glared at the culprit.
 
“, Suho hyung,” he expressed towards the figure, “you scared the crap out of me.”
 
Suho chuckled. “You’re too stiff. Try relaxing a bit more; be free.”
 
“That’s easier said than done, especially in your case. You’re a Senior.” Kyungsoo retaliated while he began to rise from the bed.
 
With a shake of his head, the Senior walked towards the door. “Let’s get going or we’ll be late. And what kind of guardian would I be if I were to let that happen?”
 
Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the pun his friend made with his own nickname, but followed nonetheless.
 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 

He wanted it to be over already. School had just commenced about an hour ago, yet Kyungsoo sincerely wanted it to end. The school day was going by excruciatingly slow, which was too slow for his liking. Since it was a Monday, he felt as though the school hours were dragging themselves on purpose; they wanted to torture him as much as they could.
 
With his head leaning against a random locker, Kyungsoo yawned while Baekhyun proceeded to switch things in and out of his locker. Second period had recently ended, and all he could think about was that damn Statistics test that was going to count for thirty percent of his class grade. It also didn’t help that the test was the following period, and that period happened to be one of the longest.
 
“Relax, Kyungsoo-yah. I’m sure you’ll do fine,” Baekhyun encouraged, earning him a small smile of thanks from said boy. Both Juniors were already set on leaving, but were stopped in their tracks when a voice called out to them.
 
“Kyungsoo sunbae! Baekhyun sunbae!”
 
Recognizing the voice, both teenagers averted their attention towards a tall, brunette Sophomore that was making his way towards the pair. When the figure finally reached the two, he shot them both a warm smile before giving them both a full bow. Kyungsoo smiled back, and Baekhyun made the boy stand up straight so that he would stop bowing.
 
“Yah, Sehun-ah,” Baekhyun playfully scolded, “I told you to stop being so formal and call us ‘hyung’.”
 
Sehun sheepishly smiled at him. “I’m sorry seon— I mean hyung. I’m still not used to it.”
 
When Sehun had first moved to Seoul from his hometown, he had a hard time adjusting to his new school. Upon arriving, he was given an earnest welcome, but his lisp made it difficult for him to make a lot of friends. So when Baekhyun and Kyungsoo guided him during his Freshman year, Sehun grew a brotherly attachment to them. It was towards the end of his Freshman year that he met Suho. And since then, he’d been grateful to all of them for helping him so much.
 
“What’s with the face, hyung?” Sehun asked once he noticed how tired Kyungsoo looked.
 
“Studying,” Kyungsoo responded, as though he said that word on a regular basis.
 
Sehun nodded in understanding, motioning a ‘fighting’ hand motion before turning towards Baekhyun. “I like how you did you eyeliner today, hyung.”
 
“Yeah, I like it too hyung.”
 
The trio stopped their movements when they heard the deep voice looming over them. It was a very recognizable voice, but it wasn’t one Sehun or Kyungsoo heard on a daily basis. Yet, instead of the latter wondering when the owner of the voice had gotten there, he was more preoccupied by the honorific greeting that was used towards Baekhyun.
 
Hyung?” interrogated Kyungsoo, a grin playing on his lips. “When did you guys get so close?”
 
Baekhyun sent him a sharp glare. “Don’t you have a test to take?”
 
Kyungsoo snickered. “Ok, I get it. I’ll see you later hyung, Sehun-ah. And, uh, bye Chanyeol-ssi.”
 
After ruffling Sehun’s hair Kyungsoo headed to his third period class. He simply wanted to get the test over with, so that he could get a least some type of freedom. Walking through the halls, Kyungsoo began to repeat equations over and over again until he felt and arm sling over his shoulder. He tried to remove it, but the person insisted on pulling the Junior closer to him.
 
“What’s up, hyung?” Jongin inquired as he walked beside Kyungsoo.
 
Kyungsoo had first met Jongin during the middle of his Freshman year. Although he wasn’t as close to him as he was to Suho, Baekhyun, and Sehun, they used to hang out frequently. He had also admitted to his other friends that he had a small crush on him, but that phase had ended during his Sophomore year. He realized that Jongin’s ‘hints’ were just his way of playing with him, and he didn’t want to make a fool out of himself for being led on. So he pushed all of those thoughts away.
 
“Oh, hey Jongin-ah. Nothing good is going on, I guess.” Kyungsoo stated nonchalantly.
 
Jongin nodded before he gloomily exclaimed, “I’m so going to fail that Stats test.”
 
Kyungsoo shook his head in return. “Didn’t we tell you to refrain from taking any difficult math classes after you miserably failed Geometry last year?”
 
“I had to take this class,” Jongin told him.
 
The other raised an eyebrow in curiosity. “Why?”
 
A smirk played on the younger’s lips at his friend’s question. Even though they had been friends for three years, Kyungsoo had distanced himself from Jongin their Sophomore year for a reason unknown to the latter. Jongin honestly missed messing around with Kyungsoo, and thought that pestering him like he used to would be fun; just like old times. To him, Kyungsoo was someone who could take his jokes, so he felt as though he never had to worry about the extremity of them.
 
Jongin teasingly revealed, “because you’re taking it.”
 
His words had little effect on Kyungsoo, who after a few seconds of silence faintly murmured, “That’s a stupid reason.”
 
He knew Jongin was joking; he always was. But after his infatuation with his friend, those jokes no longer had the same meaning they used to have when spoken. He had already learned to not take Jongin’s jokes seriously, but there was still that tiny tug he felt in the back of his heart that remained from his Sophomore year.
 
Jongin, who wanted to top everything off, decided to do something a bit deviant to Kyungsoo this time. When the bell to start third period rang, Jongin gave Kyungsoo a light kiss on the cheek, muttering a small ‘you’re gonna be late’ before walking away. He grinned as he could only imagine the look on the other’s face. It would’ve been priceless; just like all the other times he’d mess with him.
 
A petty blush had surfaced onto Kyungsoo’s face as his eyes grew wide. But as quickly as it came, it went away. And as he sped towards his next class, he began to repeat something new; that his feelings for Jongin were not going to resurface. Jongin was obviously just messing with him again, and this time he wasn’t going to let himself fall for it.

  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 

A/N: Well, this was kind of short, but its main purpose was to be an introduction. Next chapter will be up soon, sometime this week. I want to thank those of you who subscribed even if there was just a small foreword ♥ It really motivated me, and I hope you continue to follow this dramatic story ‘till its end. For those of you who haven’t, please subscribe and comment! It’d make me more than happy.