Beginner's Luck

Magnets

 

“Come on, come on!” said Ree. He stood at the end of the hall with his hands on his hips, tapping his foot.

“I’m coming,” you said. You bent down to pick up all of the makeup products that had fell from your grasp. It was your first time working with Ree. He was a professional makeup artist that had to be at every event ever made and you were just his measly assistant. You always begged him to take you along but he always promised next time, breaking those promises each time. He finally gave in to your begging and allowed to assist him this time.

“God, ______, you really are slow. Can’t you hurry up? We’re already late,” Ree said viciously. 

“Shut up, Ree,” you said hobbling behind him. “You know I’m doing my best.” Ree rolled his eyes and continued to zoom down the hallway with you 5 steps back.

The dressing room was chaotic. Clothes were thrown around everywhere and were hanging halfway off of hangers. Makeup was scattered all throughout the vanities. Ree grabbed your hand and weaved the two of you through the people and chaos. He led you to a lonely chair isolated away from the insanity.

Ree sighed. “Okay. Just…just set everything up nicely and neatly. We’re already late so we can at least look organized. I’ll be back and when I bring him here, don’t say a word to him. You got that?”

You nodded quickly and watched Ree disappear into the crowd. You started to do as instructed and organized everything according to size, color, and shape. How come when I do this at home, it never looks this nice, you thought. You plugged in the flat iron and poured all of the hair clips, combs, and brushes out onto the vanity, thinking of Ree. You stepped back to admire your once-in-a-lifetime neatness and silently clapped your hands. You heard Ree’s antagonizing voice apologizing like a madman and heard a soft voice assure him.  You spun around and saw Ree with a short feminine figure with platinum blonde hair. You did a double-take on their face and recalled what Ree said:

…and when I bring him here, don’t say a word to him

The blonde sat in the chair and continued to assure Ree that everything was fine, who was still attempting to apologize. 

“I’m still very sorry. It’s mostly my assistant’s fault. She’s new and she gets confused about the littlest things,” said Ree, eyeing you knowingly.

You nodded and bowed down to the blonde. “Yes, it’s my fault. I’m very sorry.” 

The blonde smirked and looked up at you. “Don’t apologize. He said you were new. It wasn’t all your fault.” He looked at Ree. “And you. Don’t dump your mistakes on her. You were the one who decided to bring a rookie along to help you.” 

You looked at the blonde shockingly. You opened your mouth to say something but Ree cut you off. “Well….now that you say it, it wasn’t…all her fault.”

The blonde nodded and turned to face the mirror. He stared at your reflection and looked down, smiling. You tried to contain your emotions and silently walked over to Ree. “So…is there anything that you want me to do?”

Ree sighed greatly and hesitantly as he folded his arms. “Well, I guess you could maybe do his hair.” He turned to face you and pinched your cheeks. “Or is that too much for ______-bay-baykins?”

You shook away from him. “Ah! Stop babying me! And yes, Ree, I can do it. Go…find a groupie to annihilate or whatever you do.” You rubbed your cheeks and pouted. Ree laughed and tousled your hair. You waved his hand away. 

“Now, I’ll be over there if vou need me,” said Ree, pointing. You tried to follow his finger but it was navigated somewhere in between the mess of people. You squinted your eyes and nodded. You watched him walk into the crowd once more. You turned and saw that the blonde had been watching your every move in the mirror. He tilted his head slightly to the right and narrowed his eyes.

"So, who did you sleep with to get here? Never seen you before." He rearranged his bracelet.

Your cheeks flushed red. You've never been talked to in that manner before. "I-I didn't have to sleep with anyone."

The blonde scoffed. "Whatever. Just do as you do. And don't talk to me. I'm going to be on the phone handling some things and I don't want them to hear some noob drabbling on and on about nonsense. Also, remember that Ree told you not to talk to me." He held his phone up to his ear and chewed on his fingertip.

You sighed and proceeded to style his hair. He seemed so nice but that was just his face.

He put the phone to his shoulder and whispered loudly. "And if you mess up my hair, I'll tell Ree never to bring along ever again." He smirked evily and place to the phone back to his ear.