We Broke Up Today

We Broke Up Today (One-Shot)

 

Broke up today, we’ve broken up
If you think you can understand my heart, then please cry with me
I suppose I can’t be the one, I suppose it’s a no
How longer do I have to cry until you'll love me properly?
 
Your heartbeats and you echoes my eardrum
The lips locked away, gets clearer
Since when and where did we drift apart
When you've loved me till yesterday
 
Broke up today, we’ve broken up
If you think you can understand my heart, then please cry with me
I suppose I can’t be the one, I suppose it’s a no
How longer do I have to cry until you'll love me properly?
 
I was happy, I was so happy it pained more
I hate myself for getting tricked by love
 
I should have stayed and told you I was hurt
Our memories of love, that should be holding you back
You live tomorrow and I today
No one, nothing can make me smile
 
Broke up today, we’ve broken up
If you think you can understand my heart, then please cry with me
I suppose I can’t be the one, I suppose it’s a no
How longer do I have to cry until you'll love me properly?
-We Broke Up Today, Younha
 
 

 

"I need to see you. It's important."
She was sitting at the bar, fiddling with the clear glass in her hands, lifting it to her lips and swallowing the remainder of the clear liquid.
"Another Soju." she called to the bar tender, as the chair beside her was pulled out and a tall, thin, and well built blonde sat down at her side.
Her smile faded, at his serious expression. As he ordered a soju for himself as well, and stared down at his hands.
 
"What did you need to see me about, Kris?" Minah questioned hesitantly, watching his face.
He let out a sigh, running a hand through his hair, before picking up the glass the bartender set before him and downing half it's contents.
 
"What's wrong?" she asked, and Kris finally looked at her. He looked stressed and exhausted, not much a surprise coming from an idol.
But, Minah could sense something wasn't right.
 
"I'm breaking up with you." he said, staring ahead blankly. Straight foreward as he always was. She thinks, a frown gracing her lips.
 
"Oh." she says, looking down at her hands. There's silence between the two of them, until finally she asks, "Waeyo?"
 
Kris places both elbows on the bar, his head in his hands, as he inhales deeply.
He takes a moment to gather himself before he turns back to her, and says, "I've been seeing someonelse."
 
Minah can feel her heart shattering at that simple, four word sentence. But, holds it all inside. "I see... Who?"
 
Kris hangs his head, her lack of reaction striking him right in the heart. "Jung Soojung." he awnsers quietly.
She turns to him with a look that's a mixture of disbelief and hurt, and Kris is sure that it'll stay with him forever. "Krystal?"
 
He nods, shame and regret filling him as he sees the look in her eyes, and he prays that she won't cry. Please don't cry, baby.
It takes all his willpower not to hold her then, as she sits there quietly, fiddling with her glass. I've really done it this time.
 
He slips off his gold, engraved couple ring from his left hand and places it quietly before her on the bar, "I'm sorry, Minah."
Her own hand slowly finds it's way to slipping off her own matching ring, and Kris sees a flash of the single word inscribed on the inside of the tiny gold circle, Forever.
And, that hurts him. Because he'd promised her forever. Yet, here he was leaving her. "You deserve someone so much better than me."
He looks away without a word, slowly sliding off his stool and standing, "I should g--"
 
"Oppa!" Oh no.
Two arms wind around his waist, and he looks down to see a dark head off hair and two brown eyes. "K-Kystal. What are you doing here?"
His eyes fly to Minah's petite form, still sitting on the stool. She isn't looking at them. But he can see the way her small fists curl closed against the surface of the bar, her head hung and her shoulder shivering. No, not now. He thinks. This can't be happening.
 
"I came with the Unnies, and find you sitting here with someone woman!" the starlet exclaimed teasingly, clinging to his arm as she looks Minah over.
A distasteful look crossed her features, and she turned back to Kris with a tiny 'hmp!'
Rude. He thinks, When she was the second choice all along.
 
Minah pushes herself off of the stool, leaving the rings sitting on the counter and forces a smile at the couple. I should be an actress. She thinks.
Krystal gives the older woman a glare, not releasing Kris' arm. He shoots the younger girl a look before directing his attention back to Minah.
"I'll be going, Kris. I perform in a little." she says, with the brightest smile. But, Kris knows better.
 
"Minah....-"
"Oppa! Why don't you introduce me to your friend!" Krystal interrupts, and Minah has to force herself not to smack the little right there.
This filthy, man stealing, brat acting as if Kris belongs to her. How did I lose him to this child?
 
"Uhhh. Umm, Krystal this is Choi Minah. Minah this is Jung Krystal--" but he's cut off again,
"-His girlfriend." she says matter-of-factly, giving the older woman a look, that Minah replies to with a blank stare.
"....Is that so?" Minah nearly scoffs, forcing herself not to roll her eyes at the girl's childish antics. He left me for this?
"It was nice to meet you. Now I have a show to do." she states harshly, before excusing herself.
 
Kris watches her leave with a hurt expresssion that the younger girl doesn't notice. Minah doesn't look back at him even once.
Regret sinking in him, as he quickly scoops the abandoned couple rings off the counter, before Krystal pulls them off to find the others.
He spends the rest of the night sitting quietly beside Krystal at a booth with her groupmates, thinking back on his times with Minah.
His heart is heavy as he swirls the alcohol around in his bottle, emptying another beer. He thinks back on the late nights, she'd be stay up waiting for him to come home. Or how she'd get up early to make him breakfast before his schedules. The way she looked so good in his t-shirts. Or how the other members would have so much fun teaching her their dance routines. Her kisses, and the way he'd always thought she'd make the perfect mother to his children.
 
Kris held his head in his hands, as images of the family they could have had flashed through his head, how beautiful she would looked in her wedding dress. He'd let three years of an almost perfect relationship slip away.
 
"Oppa?" Krystal called, leaning over to him, "What's wrong?"
 
He looked up at the younger girl. Sure, she was beautiful, and kind, and funny. She spoke english and understood him and was fun to be with. And, at first he'd wanted that. Someone that he had no trouble communicating with, and he felt easy around. But, Krystal wasn't someone he could see coming home to every night, or walking down the aisle toward him, or chasing his children around their backyard. He frowned, at the realization that he'd let everything he'd ever wanted slip away, for a moments fun.
 
Krystal gazed at him in worry, before he snapped out of it. "Nothing, babe."
 
He'd let his happiness get away.