Final

A Red-Headed Infatuation [Oneshot]

------------------------------------------------------

Sungjong has never been too fond of the beach for obvious reasons. One being, that he burns really easily despite the copious handfuls of applied sunblock. Two, he always managed to swallow excessive amounts of sea water, despite hardly being in the deep end. And last but not least, he alwaysgot ditched in the end no matter what… just like now.

Sungjong frowned hard, especially at the last reason. He silently cursed Woohyun for always bringing him here during the summer, yet ditching him every time to ‘hypnotise some cutie with his undeniable suave’ as the egotistical idiot would say.

Sungjong had to reluctantly admit, he looked like a pathetic pale loner in comparison to the bronzed beauties running all along the beach.

“Stupid Woohyun.” Sungjong muttered bitterly, hugging his knees to his chest.

There had been one surprising upside to his miserable situation though. And that something, or rather someone, took the form of a hot red-headed bad boy he’d been seeing the whole week…well It was more like Sungjong was stalking him. His eyes never leaving the red-headed figure, too afraid he might miss something.

Sungjong had absolutely no qualms about gawking too, hell, he’s almost positive he drooled at one point as the nameless-bad boy walked by, with his toned upper body, sun-kissed skin, blaring red hair and a y up-turned smirk on his chiselled face. Sungjong could only sigh dreamily. No words coming to mind when describing the mysteriously handsome man.

Sungjong was no bragger but he could tell that the guy definitely notices him too. He blatantly walks past Sungjong all the time. Always giving the same side-long glances and curt nods with his hands shoved in his pockets, trying hard to make it seem like this little routine was no big deal.

Sungjong can’t help but think about how cool he is every time he does that and how lame Woohyun is in comparison. Sungjong reminds Woohyun of that fact verbally whenever he’s there with him, always salivating when the ‘hot guy’ walks by. Woohyun only reacts by nudging him out of his daze and ruining Sungjong’s daydream.

All this non-verbal communication that Sungjong and the guy had going on was pretty much routine, so Sungjong was more than a little surprised when the ‘red-headed hot guy’ did his regular walk past Sungjong only this time he stops and does a double take at him.

Sungjong is frozen in shock and a little in nervousness because; he’s just there… staring straight at him. Sungjong cautiously backs away under his parasol because the ‘bad-boy’ walks straight towards him at such a fast pace, he’s almost certain he’s going to get bowled over.

The boy stops in time, right in front of Sungjong, who lets out the breath he had been holding in anticipation of getting trampled on. But now he has to deal with the man he’d been admiring for so long at such a close proximity, with that blinding red hair of his seemingly brighter as the sunlight reflects off of his scarlet locks.

It’s almost too painful to look at.

Suddenly Sungjong has the urge to reach out and touch him-

“Um, You alone?”

Sungjong snaps out of his daze and his bratty-nature automatically kicks in before he can compose himself.  “What the hell do you think?”

Sungjong recoils at how harsh that sounded, especially to ‘new’ ears that haven’t been exposed to his personality before. He’s ready to apologize but is surprised by how genuine the other boy's laugh is.

 The boy smirks after his short laughter before saying “Sorry, I just think your boyfriend shouldn’t be so careless as to leave such a beautiful-“

Boyfriend?? Oh, you mean Woohyun? No he’s not… He’s not um. He’s more like a dickhead of a best friend to me.” Sungjong stammers.

A smile spreads on Sungjong’s face after a pause of silence, hoping it makes up for his embarrassing stuttering.

The red-head grins in return and Sungjong feels a tiny bit of relief. He then stares fascinated, by  the discovery of the other's gums in their mouth.

“Well, the boyfriend you have should-”

“-Ah, I don’t have one… at the moment.” Sungjong finishes, urgently cutting the man off.

“Oh.”

There’s a long awkward pause after that, as red-head just shoves his hands into his pocket, swaying on the spot and kicking sand everywhere, looking everywhere but at Sungjong.

Sungjong stares intently; captivated at how the boy chews on his lower lip as if bored or something, yet has the corners of his mouth are slightly quirked upwards.

Sungjong feels his stomach twisting as his hope for something other than glances from this guy, rises little by little, thinking ‘He couldn’t be happy because of-

“Oh my god- I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!”

Once again Sungjong’s thoughts are disrupted sharply. Sungjong has to blink as everything happens so fast and all at once. In the span of 10 seconds, the red head is swiftly on his knees, spilling out incoherent apologies and brushing sand off Sungjong that got on him via the boy’s kicks.

All of this takes Sungjong to realise that this man, the one he’d been so infatuated with and lusting over is nothing like the cold, emotionlessly cool, bad boy he thought he had been.

The proof was right there in front of him taking the shape of this man, brushing sand off Sungjong’s feet at the damn beach.

Sungjong should have realised from the very beginning of their conversation, when the guy hadn’t been offended or shrugged at him for being y, but had laughed instead.

Sungjong watched with an ever growing smile on his face, as the red head carefully brushed the sand off of his legs while laughing because of his embarrassment.

Sungjong came to the conclusion that the revelation of his..he had to admit it, his crush being a ‘good guy’, didn’t bug him at all. Not one bit. It didn’t change how he felt about him.

“Let’s just start over.” The boy said, scratching his head nervously. “I’m Dongwoo and you are?”

Sungjong’s heart felt like it was about to burst. They were actually having a conversation, after a whole week of stolen glances.

Sungjong offered his name back, finding everything far too thrilling and real for it not to be a dream. If it was, he definitely didn’t want to wake up. He felt giddy, and found it hard to think of what to do with himself.

Sungjong, that’s a very pretty name- Anyway back to my little accident. Let me make it up to you with some ice-cream.”

Ice cream- What am I, 5 years old??” Sungjong replied.

Dongwoo just chuckled lightly at Sungjong’s snarky comment, as he gets off his knees, brushing sand off of his shorts “Um... It’s my treat?” Dongwoo offered.

Sungjong snorts at the lame but adorable reply. He couldn’t wipe the grin that had set itself permanently on his face, even if he really tried. Sungjong stuck his hands out, having to shake it a little until Dongwoo got the idea and pulled him up.

Sungjong didn’t let go of Dongwoo’s hands when he’s on his feet and marvels at how fast Dongwoo reacts at their contact. Sungjong takes advantage of Dongwoo’s fleeting moment of fluster, to press himself close to Dongwoo and stare right into the boy’s eyes.

“You had me at hello.” Sungjong knew it was cheesy and cliché, but he felt like Dongwoo was the type of guy to appreciate it and enjoy his sense of humour. He was right.

Dongwoo his head to the side, smiling. “I don’t recall ever saying-“

“Shh, don’t ruin our love story.” Sungjong says.

Sungjong stared adoringly into Dongwoo’s eyes like one of those professional actors on soap operas. That became the breaking point for Dongwoo as he started howling with laughter, gripping Sungjong’s hand tighter and using it as a support so he wouldn’t fall to the ground.

Sungjong wasn’t too far behind, realising how dopey he ended up sounding and mostly enjoying how contagious the other’s boy’s laughter was as he pulled Dongwoo to the nearest ice-cream stand.


------------------------------------------------------

Comments are ♥ :)