Final

The Universal Language of Music

 

Italicized dialogue is in Chinese while Korean dialogue is untouched and as for the intro, I read somewhere that Lay is a hemophiliac so that’s why Luhan needs to take care of him. 

“Tao, stay close to me, Luhan make sure you take care of Yixing, Chen and Xiumin stick together okay? Don’t forget your bags either! Alright, let’s go.” 

The members of EXO-M swung their backpacks over their shoulders and grabbed the hands of their designated airport partner. All six of them were extremely tired from their long flight, dragging their feet across the floor as they got off the plane. Their faces were down and their shoulders drooped, the moment they set foot into the airport though, the screams by their fans and the flashing lights from cameras caused them to hide their exhaustion immediately. Pictures and videos of them were taken from all directions, they were thankful for their fans support but on days like these they just wanted to get back to their dorms right away. Smiles were lit on the faces of the EXO-M members but they were in no mood to cram through the mob of teenage females surrounding them. The members got through the crowd successfully and headed towards the subway station. The taxi’s they had originally called for were blocked by the taxis of the sasaeng’s last time and created a massive traffic jam. Not wanting to create a safety hazard on the road, the members of EXO-M along with their manager decided that it would be more beneficial to the citizens in the area if they were to ride the subway. Although it would create another mob of people in the station it was till much safer than for their fans to chase them in taxis. On their way down the stairs a little girl had fallen over due to the large amount of teenage females sprinting down the stairs, Chen let go of Xiumin’s hand momentarily to help her up only to lose sight of s the moment he looked up. 

“Minseokie hyung! Manager ge! Where are you guys?!” Chen scanned the area but he couldn’t spot s anywhere, not even the tall Kris. Chen was beginning to panic as he rushed down to the platform, manager ge said to meet at platform 5 right? His feet were moving quickly as he continued to look around for s, the panic in his heart increased further when the number of teenage fans grew. Soon Chen found himself standing in the middle of a mob of over a hundred females. Looking for a gap to slip through Chen ran as fast as he could from the screaming fan girls behind him. He got lost amidst all the chaos and now he's trapped in the underground subway of an unfamiliar country all by himself. Out of breath and losing his energy quickly Chen was about to collapse when a pair of small hands grabbed his arms and yanked him into a secluded corner. Using the limited amount of Chinese he knew, Chen asked who the girl was in a loud voice despite his state of panic. 

“Who a-” 

“Shhh” The petite female placed her fingers on his lips and pointed to the screaming girls. “Be quiet, you don’t want them finding you here right?”  Bringing down the volume of his voice Chen whispered a soft thank you to the female next to him. 

Thank you for um....” What’s the word for save again?

“You’re welcome; you should stay here until they calm down. I hope you the best, bye.” The girl smiled lightly and turned away about to leave for the platform she needed to get to. 

“Wait!” Chen held onto the arm of the small girl, her long black hair swaying to the right as she looked up at him with her big brown eyes. 

“Hmm?” 

“Ah... I don’t know if you are a fan but here, um... my sign CD.” Chen switched back and forth from Korean to Mandarin, hoping that he had gotten his point across. 

“Thank you.” Although the girl had no idea who the male in front of her was she took the album from him anyways. She was walking to her stop when she noticed he was chased by a mob of females. She knew this subway station inside out and decided to help the poor guy out. She smiled and waved at Chen one last time before leaving. 

Chen looked at the girl as she left and let out a sigh of relief when he noticed that the screaming had stopped and that the station was starting to empty. I didn’t ask for her name... Chen peaked out from his corner one last time to make sure the coast was clear before walking out of his hiding spot. He searched around the station frantically hoping that s were still here. Chen stopped his feet after realizing that he had his phone on him. Ahh how did I manage to forget that? Snaking his phone out of his pocket Chen sat down on the steps of the station stairs as he dialed the number of his manager. 

“Hyung, where are you guys? I got lost earlier... I’m sitting at the stairway from where we entered. You’re going to come get me? Ah okay, thank you and sorry for losing the group.” Chen stuffed his phone back into his pockets and waited for his manager. 
 


Jieying took a seat in the train and looked at the album in her hands. “EXO-M?” Her hands grazed the cover and she recognized the face of the male she had helped earlier right away. Neat handwriting was on his shirt making it easy for Jieying to make out the letters to his name “Chen... hmm” The speaker buzzed notifying Jieying that she had arrived at her destination. Jieying shut the album and slipped it into her bag carefully before heading out the door. 

 

Chen set his bag down the moment he got into the dorm, the train ride back here wasn’t as bad as the their way out of the airport but getting out of their van was a struggle. 

“Chen, do you have signed album with you, you were the last one to get it? We have an interview tomorrow and they wanted to have those now.” Chen’s eyes widen as he realized what he had done. 

“Ah... Hyung, about that... You know the girl I told you about? The one who saved me, I gave her the album as a thank you gift.” 
“Oh really? That’s okay, we’ll tell them to give out five albums instead of six then.” 

“Sorry about that, is it really okay hyung?” 

“Yeah, don’t worry about it. It was thanks to her that you didn’t get trampled over by a bunch of fans anyways. Oh by the way, you know that the albums we were giving out as prizes contain tickets to the next fan sign as well right? You should thank her properly if she decides to go; she pretty much saved your life.” 

“Ehh? Really?” Chen didn’t know why but he felt a surge of excitement after hearing this news. He wanted to see the girl again and thank her properly as well; most of all he wanted to know her name at least. 
 
 

Jieying got home from school after a long train ride, turning the doorknob to her apartment, Jieying took off her runners right away. 

“Mom, I’m home.” 

“Mmm, how was your day?” Jieying’s mom looked over from her stitching once her daughter got home. 

“It was fine.” 

“That’s good, go finish your homework, you dad will be home early today to take us out for dinner.” 

“Okay.” Jieying made her way to her room and set her bag on her desk, fishing out the album she had received earlier today. She put the CD into her CD player and took out the lyrics booklet; it even showed the split parts to when each member sang. Jieying has been busy with her final year of high school so she hasn’t kept up with the newly debuted singers. Hoping that the music would be would be something she liked, Jieying pressed play. The chanting of the first song had shocked Jieying. “Oh, what is this?”  Jieying pressed next and went through bits and pieces of each song, Chen had a really unique and powerful voice. Although he had a slight Korean accent it didn’t take away from his vocal talent. As Jieying continued to listen to the songs, she decided that Angel and Machine were her favourites. As Jieying flipped through the photo book a ticket slipped out. She picked up immediately, “VIP ticket to EXO-M’s fan meet in Beijing”. Its two days from now... hmm... I wonder if mom will let me go. 
 


Two Days Later
Jieying smiled at the ticket in her hands, she was on her way to EXO-M’s fan sign. Although she has only known about their existence two days ago with the help of today’s technology she soon became a fan of theirs. She wouldn’t call herself an Exotic just yet but she had to admit that she really liked their songs and their voices. Jieying got off her bus and headed towards the building where the fan sign is held, thanks to her VIP ticket not only was she given the privilege to stand in the front of the line but she was given the chance to stay until the end of the fan sign to meet talk to the members personally if she chose to. With the album that Chen had given her in hand, Jieying walked up towards the members to get a quick message from the each of them. She had received a message from Xiumin, Luhan, Tao, Kris and Lay already, to her surprise Chen ended up being seated at the end of the table. 

“Ni Hao!” Those words had left Chen’s mouth before he even looked up see the fan in front of him. “Oh! It’s you!” Forgetting that the female in front of him is Chinese, Chen had spoken in Korean. 

Haha Hi! I guess you remember me then right? Thank you so much for giving me this album and for giving me tickets to your fan sign. I’m glad that I got to listen to your songs.” Chen smiled at the girl in front of him, he was lost after thank you... 

“Eh... um... you’re welcome uh... message? Name?” Jieying chuckled at Chen’s Mandarin. 

“Lee Jie Ying, and you can write whatever you like.” Their translator told him what Jieying said before he flipped the photo book to his page and began to write.

Thank you for helping me last time. Jia you!” With his limited knowledge of the Chinese language this was the best he could do. 

“Ah you’re very welcome. Thank you and good luck! I really like your voice, um.. Hwaiting!” Jaeying did a smile fist pump in the air then proceeded to taking her album back, following their manager to the area where the VIPs waited. 

After two hours of waiting and talking to the other VIPs, the fan sign was finally over. The six members of EXO-M made their way to the back to personally greet their fans, all of the girls except for Jieying started to scream. There were a total of six fans that had VIP tickets, luckily for Jaeying the other five girls went straight to their biases, leaving her alone with Chen. 

“Eh, hi again! It’s really nice meeting you here.” 
“Yea, hi!” Chen looked at the girl awkwardly and scratched the back of his neck he was having troubles with what to say, motioning for their translator to come over. 

“Noona, can you tell her that I’m really grateful that she saved me last time? I know I’ve thanked you multiple times but I feel like I can’t thank her enough.” 

“You’re welcome; it wasn’t a big deal really. Thank you for showing me your music, I’m a fan of your band now haha.” The two teens continued to talk through their translator for the next ten minutes, only five more left before EXO-M had to leave. 

Thank you noona, the two of us will try to talk without you for now haha.” Chen waved at goodbye to the translator before talking to Jieying again. 

“I know I’m not supposed to do this but... um...here my phone number.” Chen slipped a piece of paper into Jieying’s hand. She looked up at him then stared at the paper, did he like her? Jieying didn’t know what to say and pushed the slip of paper back into his hand. He was an idol and she was a normal girl, he could get in trouble for this. I don’t think this he’s allowed to do this. His group seemed like really genuine people and she really liked his music but she didn’t know him that well, does he do this to every girl? 

“Ah... no no... um... you, me friend?”  Jieying smiled at his reply, she had mistaken his actions. He just wanted to keep in contact with her. Jieying reached out and took the slip of paper back. With a wide smile on her face, Jieying looked up at Chen as the sides of her eyes crinkled. 

Oh! Of course it'll be nice to have a friend like you. We're um... chingu.”