In The Cafe: My Love

Bitter

      The coffee-loving young male stepped into the cool space and a smile slowly crept across his face. To most of us, this may just be a normal trip to a cafe, but to this man, this short period of time was heaven. It was hard to find time for these types of small delights ever since he debuted with his beloved group members. He had to treasure it.

     You were at a table cleaning up after a recent customer, struggling to fit the filthy plates and cup onto the small tray. Absent-mindedly, you shouted a friendly "Welcome" to the new customer without even casting a glance at him. Then someone called you over to the counter as your colleague had gone somewhere.

     He froze at the voice that welcomed him. Suddenly, he could no longer feel the air-condition(?) blowing at him anymore; he could feel his whole body heating up. What was this feeling? He had....become attracted to that voice, as a bee was attracted to a pot of honey. (WINNIE THE POOH!!!) What was this feeling? He knew that his cheeks were turning a few shades darker. He stared at the girl, cutely trying to balance the tray on her hands, walking towards him, but he couldn't move. What was this feeling?

     You sighed in frustration. Couldn't they get another person to watch the counter? You were busy cleaning the tables! You stared at the plates on the tray. "Don't. Move." You frowned a little to show them you were really pissed, then slowly and carefully lifted the tray from the table, keeping your eyes on the plates the whole time. One moment you were "expertly" carrying the loaded tray to the kitchen, but the next you just bumped into something.

     "Ooof..What...."

     It wasn't a something....it was a someone. You temporarily wiped off the scowl on your face and turned your attention to the plate that had shattered on the ground. Just great.

     "Didn't I tell you not to move?" You murmured softly and pouted a little. Now you had to pay the cafe for breaking their precious plate.

     "I'll...pay for that. Sorry." Your head whipped up; you almost forgot about the careless customer. Then you realised, he was much taller than you had expected. So you tilted your head up some more, you vision shifting from his chest to his face.

     He was embarrassed. First meeting and he was already leaving a bad impression. But still, he could not help but to feel the urge to hug the girl in front of him. He became self-conscious when he found her staring at his chest. But soon her eyes shot up to meet his. He took in her features: chocolate-brown, slightly wavy hair, deep blue orbs, cute button nose....lips....

     Just another customer attempting to get close to you. You normally met a lot of them while you were working here. You stepped back a little and cleared your throat.

     He blinked. Then straighted up again. What was he doing? He had never meant to lean so close....What in the world was he doing?

     "Umm...uhh...sorr-"

     "It's alright, I understand." Heck, I don't, you thought to yourself.

     You watched as he awkwardly screwed (or scrunched) up his nose and rubbed the back of his neck. Waited for him to either SAY SOMETHING, or just go and sit at some table so you could take his order of drinks or food.

     He mentally slapped himself over and over again. Why was he so stupid? He was never stupid, he was one of the charismatic members of the number one k-pop group in Korea. Why was he being so stupid now? What was wrong with him?

     Seeing that the customer was not doing anything, you decided to speak up again.

     "Um, so sir, would you like to take a seat while I prepare to take your order?" Just get your on some chair. You put on your sweetest smile and directed him to a vacant table.

     She smiled. He froze yet again.Her smile seemed to knock all the sense out of him. He just stared and smiled stupidly.

     What was this customer up to? He was wasting loads of time just standing there and gawking at you. You started to get annoyed and crossed your arms in front of you.

     "Sir?" You asked again, eyebrows raised.

     He snapped out of his trance. Yet another embarrassment.

     "Oh, yes. Yes, okay. Yeah." He made his way to the empty table and sat down.

     Finally, you thought to yourself. You smiled again. "So, what would you like to have? The menu is under the table." You got ready a pen and a notebook.

     He gave a last mental slap to himself before he pulled out the menu from under the table. "Americano and Oreo Cheesecake." He looked up and saw her scribbling furiously into her notebook while subconciously biting her lower lip. He silently chuckled to himself and took a peek at her nametag. Juliet. Like, Romeo and Juliet.

     You finished writing down his order and looked back up to see him smiling dumbly at nothing yet again. But this time, you found yourself smiling. That habit, you admitted, was actually quite cute. Shaking your head, you went back to the counter to prepare the receipt and send the orders back to the kitchen.

     He just sat at the table watching her every move. It was as though every little thing that she did caused him to smile in admiration. He started to think about how to approach her naturally and try to obtain her number, if that was possible. Perhaps....wait. He froze for the third time this day. Why was he even doing this? He had no intention of hooking up a random girl in the first place. He just wanted a good cup of coffee. Why was he....was this what they called..... , he was in love.

     You came with the cheesecake first, as the coffee wasn't ready. Glancing at him, you noticed that his initial good mood was interrupted. His face now looked...contorted. With alarm? Worry? Surprise? Why would you care, you asked yourself, shaking the thought out of your head. You continued on your way towards his table.

     "Sir? Your cheesecake is here."

     He almost jumped out of his skin when her voice interrupted his train of thought. He hadn't noticed the girl approaching his table. But he immediately recovered when he saw her angelic smile.

     "Oh. Oh? Oh, thanks." Now. You should ask her now. Grab her hand. But his hand did not listen to him. He watched as she prepared to turn and head back to the kitchen. Coward! What are you doing? He struggled to stand, but his whole body was still as stone. What was he going to do? She was leaving....

     "WAIT!" He almost immediately regretted shouting as some customers turned towards him. He pulled his hat lower and tried to make his scarf cover more of his face. He most certainly could not be mobbed by fans at this moment. He glanced at the approaching girl nervously. Well,....there was no more turning back. Now or never.

     You were surprised at his sudden outburst and looked around to see other customers staring at him. He immediately turned red and pulled his hat down. You chuckled inwardly. This customer was quite cute. Then it hit you. A disguise. Why was he trying to hide his face? Was he a criminal? A star? Or was he just trying to hide in embarrassment? You waited for the other customers to turn back to whatever they were doing, then slowly approached him.

     "Uh....what else would you want?" He thought he saw a hint of suspicion in her eyes, but whatever it was, it quickly vanished and a smile replaced it. He could feel himself trembling.

     "Um...Uh...So...erm." You watched in confusion and amusement as he cutely scratched his head, took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

     "I was trying to say..." He leaned closer and pulled down his scarf to reveal his complete face. You raised an eyebrow.

     "Uh, yes? Is there anything you would like?" He watched as she showed no reaction. He hesitated.

     "You....don't recognize me? Never seen me anywhere before?" You could almost see the blood rushing to his face as he blinked in disbelief. Why would I know you? You're a stranger that just happened to visit this cafe.

     "I'm....sorry. I don't think I know you." You eyed him weirdly and took a step back. "Why are you asking?"

     His heart sank as he slumped back into his seat. Looks like approaching her would be even harder than he thought. "Uh...then....um, nevermind." He quickly pulled his scarf back up to hide his heating face.

     You stared at him for a while, the shrugged and walked off. This person was infinitely weird. He was doing odd things out of the blue and embarrassing himself for nothing.

     He sighed in frustration and stared at the cheesecake that was just put in front of him. Guess it would have to wait until later. He poked the cheesecake with his fork and started to form a plan.

     You were lazing around at the counter when your phone rang. You smiled as you knew exactly who it was.

     Hey, you knocking off at six, right? I'll pick you up. Love you lots!

     You giggled. He was always so sweet. Your fingers excitedly moved around the screen, typing a message right back to him.

     Sure! I can barely wait...where shall we go for dinner?

     An answer came seconds after you sent yours.

     Hmm....it shall be a surprise. Remember to give me a kiss when you see me, or I'll be angry.

     His message brightened up your day and you forgot all about what happened earlier. You looked eagerly at the clock hanging on the wall next to the counter. 5:47 pm. Bored, you pouted and stared straight at nothing in particular.

     He sat at the table still gazing at the waitress.He had finished his cheesecake and was now sipping on his coffee. I'm going to approach her when she is finished with her work. Then, when she has accepted me, I will come everyday and order coffee. He happily stirred the hot beverage and inhaled it's scent. The coffee tasted exceptionally sweet, tastier than what he drank on other occassions. Was it the quality of the coffee in this cafe, or was it because of her? I guess it's both, he told himself. He smiled stupidly again.

     You glanced at the clock every now and then, and you squealed a little when the minute hand of the clock finally touched twelve. At the same time, you spotted the familiar vehicle pull up just outside the cafe, and the lovely smirking face poke out from the driver's door. He took down his shades and leaned against the car, smiling at you. You laughed and rushed to change out of your uniform.

     He saw the waitress skip away and come back out dressed in her casual clothes. He quickly grabbed his paper cup, still half-filled with coffee, and stepped outside to wait for her while she was still inside sorting through her bag. Soon enough, she came out and spotted him. Immediately, she broke into a slow jog with arms outstretched, smile plastered onto her face. He was surprised, pleasantly. She likes me. His heartbeat grew faster once again, with every step she took towards him.

     You came out of the cafe to see him still leaning against his car, welcoming you with open arms, gazing lovingly at you. You giggled and ran into his arms, tackling him down with a bear hug. "Oppa!"

     He was about to open his mouth to say something when she ran straight past him. Past him, towards another man, immediately connecting their lips in a deep, sloppy kiss.

     "Good that you remembered the kiss. How was my fiancee's day at work?" He wrapped his arms around you in a warm embrace. You smiled like an idiot and hugged him back.

     "Boring, I was waiting for it to end so I could see you." His heart broke at those words. Bad enough that he couldn't have her, but she couldn't even remember him. After all the embarrassing things he had done in the cafe, after all the times that he had tried to start a conversation with her, she didn't even find it interesting? Not memorable enough to tell others about? She just wiped the whole incident off her mind? Forget it, there's no reason for her to remember you anyway. He turned and walked slowly away. He only could blame himself for falling for someone who was already taken. He stared at the paper cup for a moment before bringing it to his lips. But almost immediately, he spat the liquid out. What was this? Why was it so bitter? Why did he even think it was sweet in the first place?

     He absent-mindedly opened the door to his dorm. He could feel pairs of eyes staring at him.

     "Hey there! Where'd you go? Anything interesting?" A hand wrapped itself around his shoulders. He took a deep breath, put on a fake smile and turned towards his friend.

     "Nothing much, just....hung out for a bit." Unfortunately, the rest of the group noticed it. He was down.

     "Hey....what's with the sad face? What happened to our cheerful visual, huh?" Another voice spoke up. Others just nodded in agreement and looked at him for an answer.

     "Haha, I'm...just tired. Hey, aren't we supposed to practice? Well, I'm here now, let's go then!" He turned and headed out again, walking quickly towards the practice room. His friends looked at each other, worried about their bandmate. After a while, they just shrugged the weird feeling off and followed behind him, stretching along the way to warm up.

Harrow readers! Sorry for not updating for months for this and the other story, coz i was berry berry busy and I kind of lost "inspiration", if you readers know what I mean....so berry berry sorry, if you were actually waiting for me to update! And if you werent, then....nevermind T-T This is a oneshot, so it is completed! :D (unless I decide to want to have an alternate ending) And for the "he" in this story, you can just put your bias in or something. You know. You know. I know some of you might not like it that the "he" was (indirectly) rejected, but it's just a story! :( so tank you berry much viewers! or readers! or users! or everybirdy! thank you berry much! :D Dont criticize this story too harshly! Please! Please! Please! And I love all of you who like and love my story! Love you all berry berry much!