Chapter 1

My Bestfriend's Girlfriend

"You should've seen her, Chanyeol," Kris said in between pants, passing the ball to Chanyeol shortly after. "Especially her smile. I swear it almost blinded my eyes." Chanyeol dribbled the ball he just caught, laughing at the dreamy look on his friend's face.

"Where did you meet her again?"

"The cafeteria. I think she's one of the freshmen, I haven't seen her at school before. You know, I wasn't even mad at her when she dropped her tray of food on my favourite pair of pants, the one you borrowed when you went to your 21st or something date.  Weird isn't it?" Kris looked like he was in a daze while he was recalling the encounter with the girl, "Do you remember that only after you bought me that expensive book about self improvement, I finally agreed to lend it to you?" Chanyeol's face displayed disgust and he aimed Kris's face with the basket ball, thank God he managed to catch it before his perfect features got destroyed.

"Hey! What was that for?!"

"For making me spend my money on that stupid book and telling me your whole love story when I didn't ask for it. You should've seen yourself, man. You are like 'Oh my dear, dear princess! My beautiful goddess!" Chanyeol exaggeratedly imitated Kris's expression. The latter frowned while throwing the ball towards the ring, resulting a clean shot, "I wasn't anything like that, you . I only said that she's beautiful and I'd like her to be my girlfriend."

Chanyeol sighed, "Who is this girl that we're talking about, anyway?"

Kris turned his head towards Chanyeol, looking dumbfounded, "Oh. I haven't asked her name yet."

Chanyeol groaned in exasperation,"You're totally hopeless." He then walked towards the blue bench near the basketball court leisurely and Kris followed behind him, punching his sweaty back for calling him hopeless, "What could I possibly do? I even closed my mouth, nodding like a fool the entire time she was apologizing, not wanting to stutter in front of her. Ah, maybe I really am hopeless."

As soon as Chanyeol sat on the bench, he opened his water bottle, quickly wetting his dehydrated throat.

"Give me some."

Chanyeol placed the bottle in Kris's palm and scowled when Kris drank from the same bottle right away.

"Ew, why are you so gay?"

Kris parted his lips from the bottle for a brief second and stared at Chanyeol with a bored expression, "We're like brothers, so I'm alright with it. You should've dealt with it by now," He continued drinking until half of the bottle was empty and then he passed it back to Chanyeol.

"Wow. Are you now implying on ?"

"You little--" Kris ended up chasing Chanyeol around the court with a towel in hand, smacking the back of the latter's head with it every time he had the chance. They finally stopped when their lungs ran out of air, panting and lying down on the ground.

Kris started laughing, then Chanyeol followed suit. Not long after, they were both laughing so hard over nothing. If there was anyone passing by the court, that person would've assumed that these two boys were high on drugs.

"I must agree on that point though," Chanyeol said when he managed to catch his breath, "that we're like brothers."

Kris grinned, patting Chanyeol's chest a bit too hard. "Then will you help me?"

"Help you what?"

"Get the girl, of course."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, brother." Chanyeol looked at Kris from the corner of his eyes, anticipating his reaction. Kris missed the mocking tone in Chanyeol's voice, instead laughing happily like a little child receiving his favourite lollipop.

____________________

Chanyeol arrived at his house a little before evening, and the timing was good as her mother had just finished preparing him his favourite dinner of japchae and kimchi stew. He bathed first, and then joined his mom and sister in the dining room to eat the hot food.

"So how was today?"

"What?" Chanyeol asked her mom back, mouth completely stuffed with food.

"Empty your mouth before speaking," his older sister scolded him, which Chanyeol responded by a glare. He obeyed his sister nevertheless.

"I was asking if anything interesting happened today," Mrs. Park propped her chin on her palm, waiting for Chanyeol to swallow his food first.

"Uh," Chanyeol started, "Kris asked me to help him catch this girl he has his eyes on."

"Kris? Kris Wu?" His noona inquired him. "Of course. How many Krises do I know in my life?" She rolled her eyes at Chanyeol's obnoxious answer.

"I was just curious. It's just... unbelievable, for someone like Kris Wu to ask for help, moreover, about girls. Aren't girls practically on their knees when it comes to Kris Wu?"

"I know right," he put another spoon of rice into his mouth, "I also--"

"Finish your food." Chanyeol let out a muffled groan and eyed his sister begrudgingly, but kept his mouth shut.

"Oh by the way," the two siblings's attention was then directed to their mom, "Did you meet our neighbour's daughter? Today was her first day in school."

Chanyeol raised a brow and clarifying his assumption by saying the girl's name, which his mom nodded at.

"Oh? Why didn't she tell me?"

"It was supposed to be a surprise for you. She attends the same high school as you, so she planned to give you a shock by appearing in front of you today, I think. You should've met her today right? At school somewhere? Or maybe in the ceremony to welcome freshmen?"

Chanyeol's heart skipped a beat because of the information he just heard. The same school? New? Dammit, why didn't I pay attention when the ceremony was conducted? Where was she?

"Well? Did you meet her, son?"

"No, no actually," he scooped the remaining of his food into his mouth in a dash, causing silence to take over the dining hall as his sister and mother stared at him amusedly.

"I'm just going to ask her myself," he ran upstairs, skipping the stairs two by two so he could quickly change to a decent t-shirt and skipped four steps when he ran downwards the stairs.

"Bye mom, noona," he opened the door in the speed of light and closed it with the same speed, producing a loud banging sound.

"What's gotten into him?" his mom asked no one in particular as she was beyond concerned.

"I don't know," his sister merely shrugged her shoulders, proceeding to ingest her food as if nothing ever happened.

______________________________

"Why didn't you tell me?" was the first thing Chanyeol said to her.

Even though it wasn't very detailed, she immediately knew what he was talking about. "One, you didn't ask. Two, it was supposed to be a surprise," her tone was very laid back, which bugged Chanyeol. He bit his tongue before something stupid escaped his mouth however.

"Okay, fine. What I want to say is that if you told me I could at least show you around the school or something," he sat down on the floor, looking at the girl who was sprawled on the bed. Her eyes were focused on a book, dark strands of hair straying in front of her eyes and they almost covered the entirety of her face. But she was too immersed in the book to pay any attention to how she looked.

Nerd, he shook his head, beautiful nerd, then subsconsiously grinning at the silly thought. Finally he realized that she had simply ignored him, making his frown deepened.

"Hey, I'm talking to you," he snatched the book from her hands with his right hand, finally catching her attention.

"Jerk! Give it back to me!" She was jumping up and down, trying to get her book back to no avail. He was being too far from her bed that she couldn't use the bed to help her height, and to add of that, he was ridiculously tall.

"'How to be a Better Person'. Do people actually read this kind of stuff?" He flipped the few first pages, skimming through the words with eyebrows furrowed.

"At least smart people do. Now give it back!" Now she was jumping and tugging at his arm. Still, Chanyeol didn't budge.

"So now you're saying that I'm not smart? Say goodbye to your book then." Chanyeol calmly said, preparing to throw the book out through her window. She started to panic because she knew his aim never missed.

"Chanyeol! You wouldn't dare!"

"Yes, I would."

"Alright! You're the smartest person I've known in my life!"

"Good girl," he chuckled deeply and lowered his right hand. She immediately grabbed the book and put it inside her cabinet, safe from Chanyeol's reach.

"Why are you reading that anyway? I thought you only read romance novels?"

"Oh, that." she suddenly blushed. Chanyeol couldn't help but smile at the cute sight before him.

"What is it?"

"So.. I met someone today. In the cafeteria." His ears perked up.

"I accidentally dropped my tray of food on his pants and I was terrified beyond words, you wouldn't have known how bad I was trembling in front of that guy. When I looked up after a gazilion of "I'm sorry"s to meet his eyes, I was frozen. He was too handsome to be a human, you know." Chanyeol felt like he was experiencing a dejavu when he saw the dreamy look on her face.

"But he didn't say anything; more like he was too angry to say anything," she sighed, "And I could only meekly smile to lessen the tension. What a good way to give people the very first impression."

She knocked her knuckles against her temple a few times, a sign that she regretted something stupid that she did. Normally, he would've laughed at her and casually gripped her wrist, telling her to stop that habit. But now he was too stunned to do anything.

"So it was like love at first sight, like what I've read in those romance novels," she pointed to the stack of books on her night stand.

"I heard he read this kind of books, so I bought one and read it myself. And it turns out the content isn't so bad," she noticed his jaw slightly dropped, but wrongly assumed the cause, "I know, I know. I sound like a dumb-head. Don't judge me," she laughed awkwardly.

"Oh, and from what I've heard from some female seniors, he's one of the school's hearthrobs,"

No. It can't be.

"Kris Wu."