Only an Hour Away

Don't You Know Any Boundaries?!

Teaser

He leaned down to reach my height -- how was he so tall? -- and brought his face as close to mine as he would dare. I held my breath and bit my lip, suddenly nervous. Why did he have to be so close?!

“Noona,” he said with a playful smirk, his deep voice smooth and soothing. He usually smiled with all of his teeth, with the same energy as a happy, little boy. But not this time. I was getting a different vibe from him this time. This time he did not seem like a little boy at all; this time he seemed like such a man. I had been feeling this way about him a lot lately, and I wasn’t sure that I liked it.

So I pushed him away. “Ya, what do you think you’re doing?” I fumed as he pretended to stumble backwards, laughing as he did so. All it took was his big laugh with all of his teeth showing to make him look like a little boy again.

Yet I noticed that despite this childish exhibit, my heart continued to race. And I was sure that I didn’t like that at all.


Part 1: Only an Hour Away

"Noona, let me walk you to class."

"You're so clingy," I complained, though I handed Chanyeol my books anyway. He simply laughed in response, and I had to wonder again how such a deep voice could emanate from such a baby face.

"Noona, your books are so heavy," Chanyeol said, more so concerned than he was complaining.

"It's my last year in high school; I have to finish off strong!"

"I can't believe you're leaving me in a few months!" This time he was complaining, and I couldn't help but smile knowing that I would be missed.

"I'm only going to be an hour away," I reassured him.

"The student council won't be the same without you."

"Are you planning to run for president?" I asked, although I knew that Suho would probably get the position, seeing as he was already the junior class president.

"No way," Chanyeol answered quickly, shaking his head. "Too much responsibility. I'll leave that to Suho-hyung. Next year, I just want to relaaax~"

"Are you going to stay in the student council, though?" I asked, a bit alarmed. I had grown attached to all of my dongsaengs in the junior and freshman classes, and it saddened me to think that they wouldn't all stay together once the senior class left.

"Yeah, of course!" Chanyeol replied, almost appalled. "Senior class historian, what up!"

"You and your cameras. You and your HunHan!" I corrected myself.

"Whatever it takes to attract the ladies~" he sang, waving a peace sign at me. So childish, I thought, but I laughed at his attempt at aegyo anyway.

"As you've been saying," I said. "Xingle won't be happy, though~"

"Why won't I be happy?" Xingle asked, catching up to us. She was one of the Chinese students, also in the junior council. 

"Chanyeol's running for historian again," I tattled. 

"No more pictures!" Xingle exclaimed as she punched Chanyeol in the arm, which incited an "Ouch! Stop doing that!" from Chanyeol and a "Hey! Be careful with those!" from me when Chanyeol almost dropped my books. 

However, Xingle looked satisfied. "I'm not voting for you. How about I run for historian, and you run for secretary this time?"

"Nope! You at taking pictures," Chanyeol teased. "Besides, I'm sure the senior class wants more than just pictures of Luhan."

"Ohhh, what are you going to say to that?" I instigated. "Ohhh, Xingle, he went there!"

Xingle opted for another punch and a couple profanities before she stormed off. Chanyeol couldn't stop  laughing post-torment, and I looked at him kind of disapprovingly.

"You're so mean to her," I said, although I had to admit I did play a small part as instigator. 

"She doesn't mind. She's used to me by now. Aren't you?" he nudged me playfully and I frowned.

"Be nice sometimes," I chastised my dongsaeng.

"Okay, fine. Just for you, noona," he nudged me again. "As a going away present, since you're leaving me soon."

"Ugh, shut up about that!" I laughed, nudging him back. "I'm only going to be an hour away!"

"That's still an hour too far away," he said, catching me off guard. I froze for a second and looked at him peculiarly, but he kept walking, so I just followed.

---

"Hey, how was your trip, guys?" 

"It was alright," Jihye replied, plopping down onto the couch and stretching her legs. Her companion plopped down next to her.

"Why are you here, Kai?" I asked. "You're not even a senior yet."

"Can't I just visit my noona?" he asked, trying to look innocent. Key word: trying.

"He just wanted to come here with Jihye," Chanyeol commented, taking a seat next to me and wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"Where's Minjeong?" I asked, shrugging him off. I already knew that Xingle and Sehun went to visit Luhan, but I found it odd that only Jihye and Chanyeol (and Kai) came to visit me.

"Ooh, she went to visit her brother with Suho," Jihye explained.

"Aw, I haven't seen Minseok in a long time! Baekhyun is the only one from my class that goes here, too," I mused. 

"Baekhyun-oppa?" Jihye asked, her eyes lighting up. Kai shot her a look, but she paid him no heed. 

"Yeah, I told him you guys were staying over, so he should be stopping by soon."

"When will he get here?" Jihye asked expectantly. Meanwhile, Kai was mumbling "Did he really have to come, too?" thinking that no one could hear him. 

"Actually, he may be here now," I said, conveniently receiving a phone call from Baekhyun. "Yeoboseyo? Yeah, yeah, calm down, I'm already at the door..."

Baekhyun joined us on the couches, taking a seat on the other side of Jihye, much to Kai's dismay. He had been (one-sidedly) battling Baekhyun for Jihye's affection for years already. However, since she was already his girlfriend, she didn't bother hiding her long-time crush on her sunbae. I had to admit, I was a little glad that I invited Baekhyun and that Kai came, too. The instigator in me just couldn't resist a good show from my friends. 

"So," I said, clapping my hands together. "Who's hungry?"

"I am starving," said Baekhyun, and the others agreed. 

"That's great," I said. "Because I am going to cook for you guys!"

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. "You? Cook?"

"Ugh," Jihye groaned. "We should have brought Kyungsoo with us."

"Don't worry, it'll be great," I said, ignoring the last comment. I headed to the kitchen with Chanyeol in tow. He took a seat at the dining table and propped his head on his hands. He watched as I started preparing ingredients. 

"Why are you just sitting there? Don't watch me," I commanded, grabbing a couple vegetables and a jar of kimchi from the fridge. I used my hip to bump the door shut.

"Why? Do I make you nervous" Chanyeol replied, a small smile tugging on his lips.

"Ugh, fine, do whatever you want," I said, already giving up. I grabbed a couple of pots and held them up, debating which one I should use.

"I'll take that as a 'yes.'"

I ignored him as I made my decision, replacing the other pot back from where I got it.

"What are you making for us?"

"Kimchi jjigae," I replied while I brought out my chopping board and my favorite knife.

"Wow," he said, though I could not tell whether he was being sarcastic or if he was genuinely impressed. "Noona, when did you get so... domestic?"

"Shut up, Chanyeol. You hate me, don't you?" I replied, exasperated. I remembered that I had to get out the cooking oil, so I tippy-toed and stretched my fingers out, only to find that it was a bit too high for me to reach. 

Chanyeol laughed, pushing his chair back and walking up behind me. "Noona, what are you talking about?" he said, easily grabbing the cooking oil from the top shelf. "You know I love you, right?"

"Whatever," I blushed, snatching the bottle from his hands. "Thanks," I muttered.

"You're welcome," he replied, smiling his goofy smile.

I decided then that I hated when he smiled like that, as I urged my heart to stop beating so fast and hoped with all of my might that he couldn't see the blush still on my cheeks.