Our marriage.

As Transparent As Black

A/N: This is the first time i'm writing a story in present tense. So it's not grammar problem, if you're wondering. My literature class did a short story which was written mainly in present tense to create a type of feeling in readers. So I'm trying it out , hope you guys like it. 

This fic is also kinda like a drabble, and kinda random as well. But I'm just trying a writing contest for fun and see how I'll fare for it (;

The whole story is written in Yongguk's POV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I stare at her. She is still sleeping, her eyelids closed, her soft rhythmic breathing sounds echoing through the silent room and my empty heart. Her soft black hair spreads out on the white feather pillow and cascades all around her. A stray strand is on her face. I lift up a finger and brushed it away, staring at her flawless face; her cute nose, her thin eyebrows, her soft slightly chapped lips.

I want to her lips to moisten them.

I laugh softly at my thoughts and lightly traced my finger along her jawline. I like how her skin feels against my fingers. She smiles in her sleep, lips stretching into a thin pink line, teeth slightly showing. I grin back at her and got up carefully, so as not to wake her. 

 

I go to the bathroom to wash up. I pull on a black tee as i walk to the kitchen. I take out eggs, ham, and sausages and start to prepare breakfast. A few minutes later, I hear her speak sleepily, but incredulously. "You're cooking again."
 
Rolling my eyes, I grin at the frying pan and flipped the ham. I hear her getting up and shuffling in her slippers. She closes the door to the bathroom and i put all the food on two plates, and lay them on our dining table. She opens the bathroom door and walks carefully to the dining area.
 
"Good morning, Yonggie." she grins and grabs a chair to sit. I follow suit and smile at her. "Good morning."
 
"We're having eggs and ham today?"
 
"And sausages. Cheese ones. Your favourite."
 
She beams her wide smile at me, but her dark eyes are blank.
 
Pursing my lips, I lower my eyes to the floor and try to push away my straying thoughts.
 
"Let's eat then."
 
She nods and starts to reach for her knife and fork. I reach across the table to take her hands gently in mine and i say softly, "I'll feed you."
 
She pouts. "Don't treat me like a baby."
 
I swallow the lump in my throat. "Okay."
 
She slowly reaches for her utensils, and I watch her hands feel around for it. Tears are threatening to spill from my eyes, but I keep silent.
 
"There, I have it." she says triumphantly, holding up her utensils.
 
I smile at her and say, "Okay, okay, now eat."
 
She beams and starts to tuck into her food.
 
 
--
 
 
I remember there was this time when I was just starting to learn how to cook. So I flipped open a recipe book and asked, "Yushin-ah, what do you want to have for dinner?
 
She closed her eyes, deep in thought and said, "I want a whole bowl of love."
 
I pretended to browse through the book and shook my head. "Nope, no such recipe."
 
She laughed and said, "I'll make one."
 
I raised my eyebrow and asked, "How?"
 
"Come here."
 
I did so and she curled her arms around me. I placed my head at the crook of her neck and kissed her neck lightly, smiling like the fool I am at her little shivers.
 
"First of all, there's you. And there's me."
 
"Uh-huh,"
 
"We're like the noodles. Rice. bread. The staple foods. The meat and vegetables are the other substances in our life. Like our future kids.. work, parents etc. Then there's the soup, which is like the soul of us. Then just add a few spices.." she paused to give me a smirk. "then we have it. Our bowl of love." 
 
I smiled, "That sounds nice. But what do you really want to have for dinner?"
 
"You," she said huskily, cupping my face, drawing me into a sudden heated kiss.
 
That night was one of the best nights of my life.
 
 
--
 
 
After breakfast, she walks to the stereo in the living room and turns on her favourite CD. She sits down on a couch and hums along with music, immersing herself in the depths of the music. 
 
I wash the dirty plates and clean up the table and the stove. Months ago, I couldn't imagine myself doing all those housework. But now I can cook, iron, wash, clean. It isn't what I like to do, but-
 
My phone rings loudly in my apron pocket and I wipe my hands dry before picking it up.
 
"Yeobseyo?"
 
"Are you Bang Yongguk-sshi?"
 
"Yes."
 
"This is Seoul Hospital. Your wife have a checkup later at 11am right? Please remember to bring her identification card and her health report card."
 
"Got it. Thanks."
 
"You're welcome," the person says politely before hanging up.
 
I sigh and run my fingers through my hair.
 
"Yonggie? Who was that?" Yushin asks.
 
"Hospital."
 
"Oh." she says and went silent. I walk to her and wrap my arms around her tightly.
 
"Yushin-" I whisper in her ear and she starts to cry.
 
"Shh... Don't," i say, trying to keep calm, but my voice cracks. "Please don't."
 
"Yonggie," she sobs, unable to hold in her tears of frustration, disbelief, and sadness. I stare at the wall behind her, feeling so darned helpless. I want to do something, anything, to help her, but there is nothing I could do, except be with her constantly and take care of her.
 
We hug for a while longer, breathing each other's scent deeply. After a few minutes, she becomes quiet. Slowly, I feel her strength start to dissolve away, and I pull back, alarmed, only to find my wife unconscious in my arms.
 
---
 
"YUSHIN! WAKE UP PLEASE!" I cry desperately, gripping the shoulders of the unconscious body. The medical personnel pushes my hands off Yushin and tells me to calm down. But I can't. How can I? 
 
Crying her name over and over. The bitter, bitter tears rolling down my face endlessly. "Please, Yushin, just wake up, will you? Tell me you're fine," I helplessly whimper, fright and paranoia threatening to take my sanity away.
 
The ambulance ride feels like an eternity.
 
Please be okay, Yushin, please. I can't live without you.
 
 
 
 
 
A doctor comes out from the room and nods at me. "Yongguk-sshi?"
 
I look up from my tightly interlaced hands to nod, widening my eyes in anticipation of his news.
 
He looks at me and shakes his head.
 
"Yushin...?" I croak out in disbelief. The world stops. No. No, it can't be.
 
He sighs and says, "Please take better care of her. She is just fatigued, that's why she fainted. She's alright, but there's one thing you should know."
 
I nearly collapse from relief and disbelief at the ridiculously normal statement he just made. 
 
"What thing?" I snap, almost glaring at the doctor.
 
"She's expecting. It's her fifth week already." he smiles and walks away. His footsteps sounds like thunder booming the distance as the world around me slows down.
 
S-s-she's pregnant?
 
Oh my god.
 
I lean my back against a wall and close my mouth and eyes.
 
Okay, someone must be playing a joke on me. Why are there so many surprises today?
 
But oh god- my Yushin is pregnant. With my child.
 
I don't think the doctor would play such a cruel prank on me.
 
So I start to laugh like a mad person, and i jump around, trying to contain my excitement. Other patients and visitors look at me as if I am crazy, but I don't care. Maybe I am crazy.
 
But one thing's for sure: I'm going to be a father.
 
After calming down from my excitment, I go into her ward silently but she hears me coming in and says, "Yonggie?"
 
"You caught me." I laugh and sit at her bedside. I clasp her hand affectionately and she turns to me while an apologetic bow of her head. "Sorry for making you worry. I just feel more tired these days."
 
"I'm glad you're fine. I'll treat you like a queen from now on, okay?"
 
"You said it," she jokes, making me chuckle softly.
 
"Okay, okay~" I laugh, brushing playfully at her soft curls.
 
She smiles and I gaze lazily at her face, lifting my hand to trace her smooth cheeks.
 
"Do I look terrible?" she says, laughing softly, lifting her hands to cup mine on her face.
 
"Nope, you're lovely as always."
 
"How about you?"
 
"Of course i look as handsome like i have always been." I roll my eyes and huff.
 
She laughs dryly and puts her hands on my face, tracing my features.
 
"I want to taste your lips." she whispers, lingering her finger across my bottom lip. Her sudden request that would make me turn red a year ago now just make me want to taste her lips all day.
 
So I stand up and bend towards her.
 
"Wish granted."
 
I place my lips on hers gingerly, savouring her taste. I wet her lips, just like I wanted to do, this monring. She gently on my bottom lip and my tongue entered , exploring. She groans and closes her eyes, wrapping her arms around my neck.
 
The doctor knocks the door and I slowly pull away, making Yushin sigh rather regretfully.
 
"I'll be back soon." I whisper and kiss her lightly on her lips. She nods slightly with a weak smile as I exit the room.
 
"Does she know about her pregnancy yet...?"
 
The doctor shakes his head. "Not yet."
 
I nod and grin. "I'll tell her later myself! And uh...," My smile falters as I ask, "Are there any news about any cornea donors?"
 
He sighs and shakes his head. "We'll still keep a lookout. Don't worry."
 
I could only lower my eyes and nod dully. 
 
"What you can do is to make sure she enjoys her pregnancy and she has the proper nutrients. You can do that, can't you?"
 
I smirk a little. "She'll enjoy it, alright."
 
The doctor rolls his eyes. "Don't try anything funny."
 
"Will do," I laugh. 
 
"By the way, you do know that your baby will most likely be normal. Blindness can't be inherited, unless it's caused by her genetics."
 
"That's great," I sigh with relief. "Thank you so much," I bow respectfully to the doctor. He bows slightly back and leaves for his other duties. I watch him walk away for a while, before entering the ward again.
 
"Who was it?"
 
"Dr Lee."
 
"Oh. Did he say anything?"
 
I beam delightfully. "You're going to be a mother."
 
She gasps, placing her hand over her agape mouth.
 
"I-I'm pregnant?"
 
"Yes," I say happily, going closer to hug her. "Yes. You are."
 
"Oh my god." she whispers, her voice shaky with disbelief. I chuckle.
 
Then comes the sobbing sounds. I pull back and furrow my eyebrows in confusion.
 
"Yushin-ah, why are you crying?" I gently ask, brushing the heartbreaking droplets away on her flawless face.
 
"Nothing," she says and wipes away her tears. "I'm just really, really happy. But..." she trails off, her face etched with pain.
 
"Tell me. You have to. I'm your husband." I say firmly, and cupping her face. She blinks away the water in her blank eyes and hesitantly confesses, "I won't be able to see our child."
 
"Yushin-ah," I sigh and hug her tightly once again. She feels so helpless and hurt, but yet the only thing I can do is hug her.
 
"I'll be your eyes, alright?" I whisper, and she reluctantly nods.
 
"I'm sure if it's a boy, he would look as handsome as me and if it's a girl, she would look as pretty and sweet as you." I joke, making her chortle as she nudges at me in spite of her tears.
 
Though her eyes could no longer express or process anything, she uses her heart, her smiles, her kisses to feel my love and give hers back to me. Although her world appears black, and I'm transparent in that world, I'm still glad that I still exist in her heart and that she still exists in mine.
 
 
-FIN-
(A/N: Thanks for reading!)