Mary Says

Mary Says (One-shot)

 

Mary wiped the tears away and washed her face. She didn’t want him to notice that she had been crying. She had to convince him. She couldn’t stay with him anymore. Not after today. She gathered her courage and took a deep breath before going into the living room just as he entered the apartment.

“Hey, how was you day?” He asked as he came over to her and pecked her on the cheek and smiled. She forced a smile.

“It was good,” Her smile faltered. “Though I have something to tell you…” He looked questioning at her.

“Is it bad?” He asked trying to figure out what her facial expression meant. She took another deep breath as she nodded.

“I think it would be best if we stopped seeing each other.” There was silence for a while as the words sunk into his head. She hated the expression he put on but she needed to do this.

“Why?” He asked. She didn’t know how to answer and if she did, would her voice betray her? “Why?” He asked again. She sighed.

“I just got a new job and it will take most of my time, and I fear it will be too stressing.” He smiled.

“That’s great, but isn’t breaking up a bit too extreme? I mean, we just have to see less to each other…” Did she really have to break his heart completely to cut ties between them?

“I-“ She hesitated for a moment. “I don’t love you anymore!” Her heart broke as she saw the hurt in his face. She quickly got her purse and hurried out of the apartment before the tears would come. She ran until it started to hurt and she had to stop. Tears flowed down her cheeks and his hurtful expression kept coming back.

“I’m sorry…” She whispered between her sobs. She slowly walked towards her best friend’s apartment. Her friend was out of town so Mary was supposed to look after it while she was away. She could just stay there till she found a new apartment.

-OoO-

The next day she turned up at her new work still tired. She had been crying the most of the night and she hoped the make-up covered her puffy eyes.

Her new work was as the personal assistant of a busy businessman. She really hoped that there would be a lot of work so she could try and forget things for a moment.

“If you have any questions you can come to me or ask Nancy over there.” The new boss said as he pointed over at a girl seated behind a desk a little away. He had just explained all of her work assignments to her.

“Ok.” She answered him. He smiled. Afterwards he began his work as he normally did and she tried to keep up the best she could.

Mary sighed exhausted, as she finally was able to go home hours later. She had been so concentrated on making everything right that she really had forgotten everything else.

“Good work Mary,” Her boss said with a smile. “You’ve done great! I’m glad I chose you.” She returned his smile before saying goodbye and going back to her friend’s apartment where she collapsed on the sofa after the work.

-OoO-

It had been two weeks now and she had buried herself in as much work as possible. She barely thought about him, which she was glad about. The only downside was that her health was suffering under the immense workload.

“You should really take a break.” Nancy said around lunch break as Mary were sitting in deep concentration and sorting out a big pile of papers. The two of them had become good friends after she had started there.

“I just need to sort these out first.” She answered with a tired smile. Nancy looked worried at her.

“Mary, you look really pale, are you sure you’re alright?”

“Yeah…” Her sight started to become blurry and it started to hurt a little. It started to blacken and she could hear Nancy’s panicking voice as she called the boss and some of the colleagues.

-OoO-

She slowly opened her eyes again. The pain was gone again. She blinked as the light reached her eyes. She was in a white room and beside her hung an IV-drop providing her with some fluids.

As of cue a nurse came in and smiled as she saw that Mary had woken up.

“I’ll go get your doctor.” The nurse left the room again only to be back five minutes later with a doctor.

“Good to see you awake again Mary.” The doctor said with a smile before becoming serious. “Your condition has worsened and it’s mainly because of the work and stress you have put upon yourself. You have to step down with all the work and relax more.” Mary nodded. “I can prescribe some medicine to help but it won’t make you healthy.”

“Ok, I understand.”

“I will keep you here for a day or two so I can make sure you’re okay again, alright?” She nodded.

-OoO-

The next few months she went in and out of the hospital when she worked herself too hard. Even though her boss ordered her to work less she just found something else to do. If she didn’t the picture of his hurt expression would come again and she would get sad and depressed.

His career had started taking speed when they had broken up and he was getting more and more popular. This made her happy.

On her visits to the hospital her boss and colleagues would come visit and entertain her a little. The doctor kept repeating to her that she really needed to relax a lot more or else it would kill her in the end.

-OoO-

“Let’s go out for dinner and a drink later?” Nancy asked as you returned to work. “Just a girls night out with some good food and so you can relax for a little.” She smiled and nodded.

“Sounds good.” The rest of the day was used to plan the night with some of the other female coworkers since her boss purposely only gave a little list of what to do and got one of the other employees to do the rest without her knowing.

Finally it was time to get of work and Mary, Nancy and two other coworkers went over to one of the more expensive restaurants and had dinner. It did help her relax a little and she had a good time chatting with them and she forgot everything else and just had fun.

As they finished their dinner Nancy dragged them to a bar not far from there and ordered drinks to everyone.

“I’ve heard that Wang Leehom will perform here in a moment.” Nancy said with a smile as she returned from the girls’ room. Mary widened her eyes in surprise and regretted in coming here. Before she could even think about how to get out some people started cheering as someone stepped on the stage.

“Hello everyone.” She recognized the voice immediately and on reflex turned her head in his direction. True enough he was standing on the stage. They made eye contact for a split second before she looked down on the floor. She recalled his expression. “I have a new song I want to sing for you,” He said. “Hope you like it.” He sat down at the piano before looking down at Mary trying to get her attention again.

 

How long has it been since I held you near?

How long will it be till I have you right here?

You say that it hurts, I can’t disagree

But how can I hold on to someone who’s leaving me?

 

And Mary says she’s gonna be ok

She tells me things are getting busy these days

And Mary says she’s gonna be alright

You know how much I need her in my life

 

Goodbye yesterday I see my dreams walking away

And Mary looks just like she did before

Except she don’t love me, she don’t love me anymore

 

I could shake your hand or I could kiss you goodbye

But I just might break down looking in your brown eyes

 

So what happens next?

Do I listen to my mind or heart?

I don’t know where to start feeling alright again

 

And Mary says she’s gonna be ok

She tells me things are getting busier these days

And Mary says she’s gonna be alright

You know how much I need her in my life

 

Goodbye yesterday I see my dreams walking away

And Mary looks just like she did before

Except she don’t love me

And Mary says she’s gonna be ok

She tells me things will be much easier some day

And Mary says she’s gonna be alright

You know how much I’m missing her deep inside

And Mary says she’s gonna be ok

 

She’s gonna be alright

She’s gonna be alright

 

She couldn’t take it anymore. She had to get out.

“I need some fresh air.” The others nodded and she left her seat and went outside. She couldn’t hold her tears back. The song kept resonate in her mind. Not long after someone grabbed her arm and turned her around.

“Mary.” Her eyes widened as she saw who it was.

“W-What are y-you doing?” She stuttered. He was supposed to play inside.

“I love you-“ She had to stop this.

“B-But I-I don’t l-lo-“ Why did her voice betray her now? It started hurting again. She had to get him away again. “I’m sick don’t you understand!?” She was panicking. “I don’t know if it’ll kill me or not!” He looked shocked at her.

“Mary-“

“Don’t you understand? It’s better if you don’t have someone like me around you! Let go!” She yelled at him as he took a hold of her shoulders trying to calm her down. Her breathing became heavier and she was in pain. “Let go…” She whispered again as she was surrounded by blackness.

-OoO-

She was afraid to open her eyes. She could feel someone holding her hand. Was it him? She wanted this dream to last a little longer. She held her eyes closed for what felt like hours before she slowly opened them.

“Mary!” He said with relief. She widened her eyes in surprise. It had really been him! Or was she still dreaming?

“H-How?” She asked, her voice still fragile.

“You collapsed and I brought you to the hospital. Why didn’t you tell me?” Concern was written all over his face.

“I-I… I didn’t want to be a burden to you… Your career also got better as soon as I was gone-“

“Only because I worked more to forget you… But it didn’t work, and it surely didn’t work for you either!” She looked down. “The doctor told me you overworked yourself numerous times and ended up here!”

“…” She didn’t know how to respond. He sighed.

“You wouldn’t be a burden to me, Mary, I love you and we can go through this together.” He had a gentle expression on his face. She was at loss of words. He looked surprised at her as he saw the tears slowly making its way down her cheeks. He leaned in to wipe them off with his hands. She smiled and hugged him.

“I love you too.” He smiled and wrapped his arms securely around her.

------------------

Please comment and tell me what you think ^-^ Thanks~