Prologue

Ignorance

Daeni

“Hello?”

“Hey Daeni? Hyunseong here.”

I was surprised to hear Hyunseong’s voice on the other end. He never called. “What’s up?”

He chuckled nervously. “Yeah... um. This is gonna be really random... and, uh... you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to... but...”

“Just spit it, Hyunseong.” I laughed. My curiosity was growing by the second.

“I was just wondering, because, you know, I noticed it and all. But... do you have a crush on Jeongmin?” He paused for a short while but then anxiously added, “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to!”

I didn’t know what to say. Fifty questions flooded my mind at once. How did he know? How could he know? I gave no signs; I told no one except my family whom Hyunseong did not know; I barely even talked to Jeongmin... How could he have found out?

“Uh, Daeni?”

“Oh.” I almost forgot we were on the phone. I just wanted to squirm into a hole... and die. “Um, well. No, I don’t. I mean, I don’t know. But I don’t think so.” I finished off lamely and mentally kicked myself for my amazing eloquence. “Don’t tell Jeongmin I told you though!”

There was a pause. Then I heard him laugh... long and hard. “There’s not much to tell from what you told me, is there?”

I felt like smacking Hyunseong in the head, first for finding out, then for making me admit it to him, and now for laughing! “I’m not sure yet. It may just be an infatuation! So don’t go around assuming things.”

“Yeah, I didn’t want to assume. That’s why I asked you to make sure I was right.” Hyunseong said.

“How did you know? I mean... is it obvious? Because Jaemin guessed it too.” Stupid Jaemin... How did she always manage to guess who I was interested in? It killed me constantly. I still loved her though. ...stupid Jaemin and her observant eyes.

“Nah, it’s not obvious.” Hyunseong assured me.

“Ahhhh, I don’t know. It’s all very confusing. ...and now I’m talking to his best friend about this. This is wrong on so many levels!” Frustrated and upset, I really felt like smacking Hyunseong in the head now. ...and maybe make him disappear off the face of the earth too, while I was at it.

“I’m not his best friend. I’m his brother.” Hyunseong said then laughed heartily.

“Ah ha ha ha, and that’s supposed to make me feel better?” I wrinkled my nose.

He laughed again. “It’s all right, Daeni! I mean…yeah! Jeongmin’s a cool guy. Right now you’re doing fine.”

I didn’t know what to make from that last sentence of his, but I could hear his sincere smile. I sighed. “Hyunseong, you are sworn to secrecy, you hear me?”

Hyunseong chuckled but then replied seriously, “Nah, I won’t tell. I’m not the type. I was just curious.”

“Fine. I’m gonna trust you.”

“Yup. ...oh, wait, I have an incoming call. Um, see you around, Daeni?”

“Yeah, sure.” I replied. “See you, Hyunseong.”

I gladly hung up the phone and tried to gain control of my quickly-beating heart. Stupid Hyunseong... and stupid Jaemin.

...stupid Jeongmin.


Jeongmin

“Hello?”

“Hey, man. What’s up?” I asked.

“Oh, hey Jeongmin. Not much. I just got off the phone with Daeni.”

My heart skipped a beat when I heard her name. “You were on the phone... with Daeni?”

“Yeah, why?” Hyunseong asked.

I scratched the back of my head. “She’s the reason I’m calling.”

There was a short pause. Then Hyunseong said, “Ohhh... don’t tell me...”

“...yeah.” I confirmed his hunch.

“But... you told me a few days ago that you weren’t sure!”

“Yeah! I know... but I’ve been thinking about it these past days, and I’m sure now.” I sighed. “I think I’m in love, hyung.”

“Whoa, Jeongmin. Slow down. In love? Or is it just a crush?” Hyunseong questioned.

“I don’t know yet, but it feels right.”

“Well... you only see her once in a while... ask her out or something!”

I laughed wryly. “Are you serious? You know how choked up I get around her. It took me all of my courage last Sunday just to walk up to her and ask a simple question.” I could remember that moment so clearly. I hated myself for being so hesitant.

“You never know if you don’t try.” Hyunseong responded. I could just see him, shrugging his shoulders and giving me that all-knowing Hyunseong look.

“Well, I won’t. I’d be so nervous I would probably back out at the last minute anyway. Also, what makes you think she’d say yes? I mean... I’m me.”

“Exactly. You’re Jeongmin. You’re funny and talented and awesome. Just give it a try!”

I laughed quietly. “Hey, you know, that’s exactly what Jaemin said. She said—”

“Whoa, wait.” Hyunseong interrupted, his sudden loudness betraying his shock. “Jaemin knows?!”

“Come on, Hyunseong. We’re talking about Jaemin here. Observant, always-right, never-giving-up-until-I’m-sure-she’s-the-one Jaemin.” I shook my head and smiled. Jaemin was one of a kind. I did not mind her knowing about this at all; she was trustworthy. It was her sneaky, matchmaking ways I was worried about.

“Good point.” Hyunseong chuckled. “So... what you gonna do about this?”

“Nothing.”

“...nothing?” Hyunseong asked skeptically.

“Yeah, nothing.” I shrugged. “I’m just gonna let this love infest and grow in me until I can’t take it any longer...at which I would just go bang my head against a wall.”

“That’s just...” Hyunseong’s voice trailed off, leaving his sentence unfinished.

“I don’t know. I just know that I’m not planning on doing anything. I’ll leave things as they are.”

“You’re really not gonna try things out with her?”

I sighed. “No... I’m not. And don’t tell anyone, dude.” I pleaded. “Only you and Jaemin know.” The last thing I wanted was for this to get out and rumours spreading everywhere.

“You know I won’t.”

“Yeah... I don’t.” I laughed.

“Hey, now.” Hyunseong said indignantly.

I laughed again. “Okay, well. I better go now. See you tomorrow?”

“Yeah, see you.”

Putting my phone aside, I put my hands behind my neck and lay down on my bed. I stared at the ceiling, my head filled with thoughts of her.


Hyunseong

I hung up the phone, my mind taking in everything that Jeongmin had just told me.

I knew two secrets, and I was in control. One move from me could change everything. It could decide their relationship, their future... their happiness.

They said not to tell... but if I didn’t, then who would? How would they ever know?

Daeni wouldn’t say anything if Jeongmin didn’t make the first move. And I knew Jeongmin. He was so shy when it came to girls that he would never talk to Daeni unless absolutely necessary, much less tell her his feelings for her.

But they trusted me with this. Daeni confided in me, and Jeongmin was my best friend. Spilling their secret would be plain betrayal.

...but when happiness was involved, who was I to stand in its way? When love wanted something done, who was I to defy its wishes? When two hearts were meant to be and I could be the one to bring them together, who was I to say no?

I knew what I had to do.

Picking up my phone again, I scrolled down the contacts until I came to the one I was looking for. I stared at her name for a while before pressing call.