Flower Boy

Hopelessly Drained

The Past...

 

Taemin's POV

"Taemin-ah, would you please be a dear and go to the outdoor market for me, please?" Umma asked as she held up a large canvas bag with a grocery list pinned to the strap.

"Sure, Umma," I replied with a smile, taking the sack and slipping on my shoes.

"Thanks, sweetie. You're such a good boy." With a pat on the head she sent me on my way, closing the door for me as I walked off. Doing errands for my parents was a normal and enjoyable thing for me, especially on a beautiful day like this one.

From the brightness of the sky, I could tell it was after noon, maybe one or two. The sun was up high, no clouds in sight, and the heavens above showed the perfect shade of blue. The weather was warm and pleasant; not too hot or too humid, and for Korean weather, that was rare. The town air was filled with flowery scents from the local florist and the small sounds of children laughing.

Life was, indeed, good. 

With my mother's list in hand, I walked over to the first vegitable stand I saw at the town's outdoor market.

"Afternoon, Taemin-ssi," an old woman greeted happily as I gazed at the assortment of colorful vegitables.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I said with a smile. I picked through the lettuce heads and green bell peppers, dropping them in my canvas bag if I thought they were just right.

"You have a girlfriend, Taemin-ssi?" I stopped and stood a bit stiff, but looked up and smiled at her, shaking my head lightly.

"No."

"Ah... A handsome boy like you should meet my granddaughter. You have any fruits on your list, Taeminnie?" I looked at it briefly and nodded my head.

"Yes, why?" The ahjumma turned her head and pointed to a fruit stand about fifty feet away.

"That's Sun-Sun, my granddaughter. She's so sweet and kindhearted and beautiful, quite like you. You would make a fine husband for her." I couldn't help but laugh a little at this.

"Husband? But, Ahjumma, I'm only sixteen!" 

"I know, I know, Taemin-ssi. Gosh, you're so cute," She said, pinching my cheek. "You should meet her, though. You two would make a fine couple." I nodded lightly, thanking the old woman and paying for the vegitables.

"Don't forget to look at the full moon tonight! I hear it's gonna be beautiful!" She yelled as I walked off.

Because I needed to buy fruits anyway, I decided to go to her stand and meet the old woman's granddaughter. When I approached her, I recognized her as one of the students in the grade below me. Her long hair was jet black and always kept in braids. I can't exactly say I was attracted to her, considering I never met her formally, but I can at least say that she was attractive. She didn't really notice me as I walked up; her face was buried in a book.

"Annyeong-haseyo," I said lightly as I started picking through apples and mangoes.

"Annyeong-" She looked up and did a double take. "Oh! A-annyeong-haseyo T-Taemin-Seonbae!" I chuckled at her surprise.

"You know my name?"

"Of course! All of grade nine knows of the Black-Haired Flower Boy," She said nervously. I grinned when she said it. The Black-Haired Flower Boy, that was my name around school. Simple, but I loved it. It's exactly what I was. The term Flower Boy was invented because of my innocent face.

"Thank you. My black hair thanks you too..." We both started laughing nervously. I picked the ripe fruits and handed and paid, walking off with a light wave goodbye.

"Goodbye," She said. "...flower boy."

 

Such a beautiful day to be walking, I thought as I strolled along the trail towards the park, the one that passes through the old neighborhood full of antique houses.

"Hey, look, it's the Flower Boy!" A sarcastic voice called from ahead of me.

 

His POV

I woke up in the middle of the day, to my luck. There was so much noise, so much activity. I looked around at the abandoned space in which we took refuge, the air filled with dust and asbestos.

"This was such a bad idea..."

Everyone else was asleep, their limbs hanging off the old tables and torn couches on this second floor of this ancient house, their mouths gaping open and loud, obnoxious snores escaping from their lips. I shook my head, absentmindedly rubbed my tired eyes and walked over to the curtains, opening them slightly. I hissed and turned away as the bright poison known as sunlight hit my face and nearly blinded me. I looked at the clock that, by some miracle, was still working.

2:00pm. The hottest time of the day.

I walked over to the window once more, staring out at this small, innocent town. I looked down at the small path in front of this house, finding a group of tall, muscular boys ganging up on a small, meek one that had a bag in his hands. The group consisted of about six kids, and each circled around the poor soul.

I guess waking up wasn't such a bad idea after all...

"What's going on, Flower Boy?" The leader of the pack said in a sarcastic tone. "Carrying groceries for your Mommy?"

"Actually, yes," The so-called Flower Boy claimed. "I was just going for a walk. Now if you'll excuse me-"

"Woah, hold on there," The leader put a stern hand on the boy's shoulder. "What were you and my girlfriend talking about the other day? I know you like her, but you better back off."

"I was helping her with her math homework," He said with his head down low. Even with my sensitive hearing, I could barely understand him. He sounded so helpless, so weak.

"Whatever, pretty boy. Quit acting all innocent. We all know you're just a player, getting all the girls and even some guys to like you."

"I'm sorry, but your reasoning sounds a little bit stupid."

"Oh, so you're calling me stupid now?" The taller boy said, infuriated. He pulled up the boy's collar and threw him down, sending his body and his grocery bag to the ground and dust from the trail flying in all different directions. The smaller black-haired boy landed on his hands and knees and looked up at the laughing group. One of the members took the bag out of reach and threw it out of the circle, a large 'thud' came after it landed.

"You're so weak," one said with a sneer. Suddenly, the energy coming from the meek, helpless soul grew darker and larger. Anger and revenge came from the pit of his soul, and suddenly, he didn't seem so helpless. He reached his foot out, briskly kicking the leader's knees and sending him to the ground, making a louder thud than the full grocery bag that was tossed moments ago. He then pivoted his leg around his body in a 360 degree motion, tripping each one of the members in the circle in one swift move, sending each to the dust like a set of dominoes. The not-so helpless boy stood up, looking the leader in the eyes, then spitting at the ground next to him. He walked over to the bag that lay in a crumpled heap on the ground, slung it over his shoulder, and stepped over the mangled group, continuing his midday walk.

"Key..." I said softly to my right hand man that lightly slept in a chair beside me.

He raised an eyebrow, slightly opening his eye. "Hm?"

"Him." Key tiredly got up and saw the boy just before he disappeared in the distance. "He's perfect."

 

Taemin's POV

Walking away from the scene made my mood lighter. But, honestly...

What just happened?

I'm never like this. I've never willingly used martial arts as a form to hurt anyone, not even bullies like them. But somehow, I've never felt more proud for doing it. They deserved it, those filthy, abusive idiots. I got my revenge, and that was all I needed.

I better get home, I thought. I don't want to worry Umma...

 

"Taemin!" My mother said happily as I walked through the door with her canvas bag.

"Here's the groceries," I said cheerfully.

"Good, thank you! Ah-- Taemin, why are your clothes so dirty?" She asked. I looked down at my clothes, eyeing the dirt and dust that accumulated from earlier.

"Oh, I... ran into someone earlier. Literally..."

"Oh... well, you should go change. Don't want you to dust-up the house."

"Yes, Umma," I said with a smile.

"Oh, and Taemin?"

"Yes?"

"Please check on your brother once in a while. He's been studying so hard and I need to be sure he eats."

I smiled again, "Of course."

 

"Taesun?" I said quietly, sliding his door open a bit.

He looked up from his computer, "Oh, hey Min. Why are you so dirty?"

"I fell earlier... Listen, Umma wants you to eat something."

My brother sighed, "I know, I know. But I have this exam due tonight."

"Seems like University is being tough on you..."

"It really is. Aish... Sometimes I could take a break from everything." There was silence for a moment as Taesun put his hands behind his head and leaned back in his chair.

"Maybe you could come walking with me tonight." I suggested. "The moon is supposed to be full and there weren't any clouds today." He smiled at me and chuckled, briefly ruffling his fingers through my dusty hair.

"Sorry, kid. Maybe next time..."

 

After dinner that night with just my parents, I helped my mother wash dishes and immediately headed for the door before it got too dark.

"Going for a late night walk, son?" My dad asked from his computer desk in the living room. I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah. The ahjumma selling vegitables said the moon was supposed to be really bright tonight. I just want to see it for myself."

"Okay. Well, just be careful," He warned. "There's some crazy people out there."

I nodded in reassurance, "Don't worry. I'll be back soon!"

 

Tonight is so beautiful... I thought. Just like the ahjumma said, the moon was full, and it was the brightest I've ever seen. The breeze was cool, and all the stars were visible as if we were floating around in space and this large planet didn't exist.

 

His POV

We stood on the roof of one of the old houses in the neighborhood, waiting for the boy to come.

"Hyung, are you sure about this? What if he decides to stay home?"

"You're such an idiot," I said, sighing. "Key even said that he was going to walk tonight."

"And if he changed his mind?" He argued once more. I shook my head at my follower.

"He didn't," Key said, butting in. He looked to his left and extended his arm, pointing.

"There." I looked over and saw him, and smirked.

"Let's get him."

 

Taemin's POV

I threw my head back and closed my eyes as I walked. The crickets around me were chirping their song, chorused in its own little melody. I smiled at its soft notes.

Suddenly, they stopped singing.

I didn't really think anything at first, until I heard the patter of footsteps behind me.

"Hm?" I looked back. All I saw was the darkness of night in the distance and the faint light of houses; no one in sight.

I shrugged it off and continued my walk.

The crickets didn't continue their chirping. A brisk gust of wind blew past me, spraying bits of sand and dirt in my face and blowing back my hair.

Something's wrong...

I looked to my right, and saw a black flash with my peripheral vision on my left. I looked to see where it went.

Nothing.

The black flash came in on my right, and I missed it again. Without thinking, I started to run.

Pit pat, pit pat.

I heard footsteps behind me, and saw that someone was running after me, gaining up on me quickly. I needed to run faster. I didn't know who they were, or why they were after me, but I needed to get away. Suddenly, there were footsteps coming from above.

Someone else was after me too, jumping from roof to roof, chasing me.

I have to run faster.

Adrenaline set in, and it seemed my legs moved on their own. I no longer felt tired, no longer panted. I just breathed normally as I ran from the two that wanted who-knows-what with me.

I looked back to check my position compared to the other two. It seemed they slowed down, and I sighed in relief when-

 

I didn't look ahead of me quick enough to see what was standing in my way. The impact between me and the foreign object in front of me was so great it threw me to the ground.

"Ow..." I whined, rubbing my forehead with my hand, the hints of a headache setting in to the frontal part of my brain. I looked up at the thing that I hit, and I saw a sillhouette of a man. He wasn't tall, but he was average height from what I could see.

I just couldn't see his face.

Suddenly, a pair of strong arms wrapped around my shoulders and lifted me up, keeping my feet off the ground. Whoever had hold of me kept me still as if I were in a straight jacket. I jerked from side to side, swinging my legs back and fourth to see if I could kick something... anything.

"You're not going anywhere..." The man who had hold of me said with a hiss. His voice was low, and I could feel the mist of his breath hit my ear and part of my cheek. It paralyzed me with fear. I didn't move anymore.

The one in front of me stepped closer, and suddenly his face came into focus. His hair was a honey-brown color, but his eyes were dull, dark...

Lifeless.

He smirked, then the top of his lip, revealing his glimmering teeth and a pair of... fangs?

"Wh-who are you?" I managed to ask in a low whisper. The man chuckled bitterly, placing two fingers at the base of my nek, making me involuntarily jerk my head in the opposite direction.

"I am one of those--what do you call them? Creatures of the night? Bloodsucking demons?"

The man holding me hissed in my ear like a cat, making me flinch. The two laughed.

"Your heart is pounding with fear," The one in front of me said. "This means your blood is rushing faster and faster through your veins... Makes you quite luring, heh heh." With his two fingers, he the side of my neck, and his fangs.

Without another word, he sank into my flesh, opening my vein as my blood filled his mouth.

I couldn't scream; I was in too much pain, and he made sure of that. It felt as if my brain was exploding within my skull. I could feel my eyes roll back and fourth from the front to the back of my head, then involuntarily side to side. My vision faded in and out; The stars were there, but then they weren't.

I finally shut my eyes as I felt my veins grow thin, felt the color drain from my face, felt my blood escape my body. Every part of me was numbed. My bones stiffened, then it was as if each one broke individually, in the slowest manner possible.

A hot, burning sensation spread from the base of my neck, then up to my scalp. My head felt as if it was on fire, like large flames jutted out from my scalp.

Just stop... I thought. Please...

Time slowed. The seconds were elongated into minutes, minutes stretched into what felt like days.

No more... please no more...

 

Finally, after what felt like forever, the creature let go. My limbs went limp, and the one holding me hostage dropped me to the ground. I didn't feel the impact; I didn't feel much of anything at that point. My vision was receding, but I saw the sillhouettes of the two monsters in front of me, then two more.

"No more," I whispered.

One of them kneeled down. I didn't see his face, only locks of red streaked in the abundance of smooth, black hair coming from his head. His eyes were a light red color, and they glowed in the darkness.

Please... No more...

"No, you're too valuable," He replied in his baratone voice to my thoughts. Did he just-

"Yes, now please, stop thinking. I can't concentrate." I did what I was told as he took both of his hands and cupped my cheeks, examining my face. After a few moments, the mind-reader stood up and brushed the dirt off his pants.

"Let's take him home."