This Is All That I Can Say

The Day Before

You your lips as you pick up the camera in the middle of the table. The place hasn't been moved at all despite everything that has happened a day ago.

It was difficult at first. More than I will admit, it was burdensome

The food that was there was untouched and the coffee cup remained unmoved. That familiar book, his book, was on the other side of the table, waiting for someone to pick it up and read it. You notice a vial beside the cup before you sit down, carefully pressing the "play" button.

You let out a sigh and wiped the corner of your eye as you were taken back some time last night, the familiar sight of that person bringing you relief and sorrow at the same time.

But after accepting it, it makes me too sorrowful

--

“How’s it going?” He asked you while he was reading his book.  You only looked at him with a worried expression.

There is no use in trying to hold on to the scattered pieces.

“Drink.” He pointed at the cup in front of you. “It’s lemon tea.”

It will only break my heart

Like a kid, you carefully lift the cup, still looking at him. You hear the distant sounds of cars outside, the light rock music playing from the stereo as you drank the tea. He was still reading the book intently. You took your time looking at how he was so engrossed with what he was reading, then asking yourself how things ended up like this.

I wonder what the point of living is

You think of something to start up a conversation with him, rummaging through your head about the latest things that recently caught your attention.

“You know…” He said, putting down the book and taking a sip of coffee. “Earlier I went out to buy groceries, and I brought the Pororo backpack with me; everyone was looking at me and the cashier asked if I had a child or something.”

A hearty laugh escapes from your mouth and his as you feel more comfortable.

Sometimes, I'm standing inside the same memory with you

“I never knew you still had that bag. You said you’d throw it out.” You tell him.

“I don’t even know why the hell I said that,” he said, smiling. You smile back at him and looked around.

He leans forward, his arm resting on the table. “Tell me how you have been today.”

I’m frozen in time with you

After a moment of silence, you told him how your alarm clock fell down form your drawer and broke, how you aced your Economics quiz at university and the kitten you found on your way home.

“It was the cutest thing I ever saw; it had tiny and squishy paws and its eyes were so adorable!” You say animatedly as he listened and smiled, never taking his eyes off you.

What about love? Is it worth doing again?

“I was thinking of bringing it with me here, but I guess it would be a hassle since I only brought my bike with me. I’m sorry.”

He nodded and leaned back, taking a sip from his coffee. Then, you notice a small object in his hands. It was a small elephant figurine he took from you last summer. He playfully smiled at it, and then looked back at you.

You smiled while looking at it. “That’s mine. I’ll get that soon, maybe tomorrow.” You threatened, knowing that this will not work.

I’m just afraid

You then noticed he was writing something on the book. However, due to your imperfect eyesight, you barely saw whatever he wrote there. Finally, he closed the book and picked up the vial, pouring it up to the last drop. You couldn’t bear to see him waiting for the vial to become empty so you looked away, tears starting to well from the corners of your eyes.

“You can’t do this, please…” You hear yourself saying. “Forget the past. Erase the bad memories and treasure the good ones. You can start all over again.”

As you continue to persuade him, he only smiles at you and lifts the cup. “It’s not easy to start all over again. You can’t just erase one memory and another.”

“It takes more than optimism to start again. I tell you it’s not easy…”

Stealing a glance from you, he takes the cup to his lips, smiles to himself and drinks it. Your hands shake in disbelief as he finishes the drink, and then places it back down. An awkward silence fills up the room as you try to process what just happened. A part of you knows this was going to happen, while another one starts to grieve.

Honestly, this is the truth

When he looks up, you notice a change in his physical appearance; his eyes looked more restless than ever, and his head was slowly moving from side to side. His hand that held the figurine started shaking.

The poison had kicked it faster than you thought.

“The weather…” He said, looking out the window. “Looks… awesome. The trees…”

You hold back your tears as you realize everything’s starting to fall apart. Only waiting was left between the two of you. You felt sorry for yourself because there was nothing you can do to stop this. Somehow, you began imagining scenarios in which the ending wouldn’t be like this.

“Don’t feel sorry for yourself… Only s do that." He said, snapping you away from your delusions. You just gave him a confused expression in return.

“It’s from…” He trailed, looking for his book. “This thing over here…”

He looked at you again and then he started feeling dizzy from the drink. He struggled to keep himself awake, blinking hard every now and then. At this time, the tears poured down, and you let out a short cry.

Was it less painful?

 “Drink…” He whispered. “It’s... the tea… Lemon…” He was stuttering, and he closed his eyes for a longer time. You panicked, thinking it was over for him, but then he slowly opened his eyes, and gave you a smirk.

“You thought I’m a goner now, eh?” He said. You were unable to reply because you knew if you did, you would just cry out loud.

“Anyway…” He said, trying to keep him focused. He would try to look at you then look somewhere else, his head wobbling.

 With one last smile, he said. “Don’t forget this." His head slowly rested at the top rail of the chair. Seconds passed, and then minutes, he hasn’t gotten up. The sound of the little figurine falling from his hands signaled that it was over.

He was gone.

Was it just enough for you to endure, since you were prepared for it?

Aside from your muffled cries, you also heard the light music playing in the background, it was Pearl Jam's Go. As much as how you hated that song, he loved it, and when the song ended, you had to admit that it was one good song.

They will never be able to reach you, the words that let you go

--

Some time later, you were taken back to where you left yourself: sitting alone across an empty chair, your hands balled up into fists and your eyes slightly puffy. You slowly nod your head, as if you understood every scenario that happened. You take the camera in front of you, taking one last look at him, who looked peaceful as his head lay on the top rail of the chair. Finally, you turned the camera off, remembering everything he said, even if the "meeting" you had was short.

"Don't forget this." You murmur to yourself one last time.

This is all that I can say


A/N: A oneshot before summer ends! This isn't exactly what happened in the MV; I just added some bits to make it longer. :)