Hard Work

Like Clockwork (Hiatus)

[ A/N Oh my God, guys. Thank you so much for supporting me on my first 2min fic! *fanchants galore* LOL, I hope you guys like this chapter, I'm seriously in love with historical fiction, so please wish me luck~!!! Enjoy, my lovelies~!!!]

Taemin POV

Life is hard, and it doesn't get much better than that.

I live day by day, hoping that I can get enough food so that I am able to function properly at my job. The upside of my job is that I work in a kitchen, which means that whatever leftovers happen to come back to the kitchen, or whatever almost-rotten vegetables or fruits happen to be thrown away, come to me. It isn't much, though. The maids and various butlers always snatch them up first, and God knows that the cook keeps gaining pounds because of all the food she keeps for herself. I can't complain. though. Once in a while, she manages to sneak me one or two sugar cubes, which makes me extremely happy.

This doesn't sustain me for long, though.

I have a sick sister at home, in the slums1 Sulli. She's bedridden and isn't able to work, since her legs don't function that well anymore. Her knees ache agonizingly, although she always manages to be optimistic about our situation, saying things like, "You can do it, Taemin! You're the best big brother in the world~!" while smiling innocently, not a care in the world. Most of the time, she is the only reason while I even get up each day extra early to go to the Abbott properties, to get the list of the ingredients for the food for that day. During my running about from vendor to vendor, I, let's say, scout out potential customers as I see the crowd of young, well-to-do, rich kids that exit their homes to go for a morning walk at the park nearby. They're always escorted to-and-fro, but I manage to slip by unnoticed; They fall for the poor, adorable boy act. Show them a few fat tears, and they're hooked. The purses of the young ladies are always stuffed, but their escorts are the ones who carry those. In contrast, the young masters don't normally carry money around, but most are unescorted and carry a few coins in their coat pockets.

Which is greatly convenient.

I don't exactly like being a pickpocket, I just have to do it if I want to survive.

The money isn't always that good, but it sure does help. Sometimes is enough for me to buy a sugar er to bring home for Sulli, she loves those. I ususally pretend to be hurrying to go somewhere and run in my customer's direction, bumping into them, discretely reaching into their pocket, and making myself fall backwards innocently, my chin in my chest. They usually look in my direction with distaste, then order me to get up and apologize, which I do, grovelling, "Please, sir. I'm verry sorry, I wasn't paying attention.2" bowing down with submission, afraid. They always dismiss me quickly, just wanting me out of their presence, and I always leave with my bounty.

One morning, I was ready to do my usual routine; Wake up, go to the Abbott household, scout customers and acquire the cook's ingredients, help the cook with breakfast, etc, when I noticed an unusual sight at the park; The young master of the Abbott family, Minho, was having a stroll. I never really see him much, he always stays in his room, cooped up with his books, so I didn't quite expect him to be so handsome. I blushed a bit, startled for my emotions, He's your employer, Taemin! Don't screw your chance of having a respectable job up!3I grumbled, mentally. I hadn't noticed that I was walking as I was thinking this, making me bump into a mean-looking guy. I jumped a bit when I felt the wall he made with his back, and he turned around to glare at me. "What do you think you're doing, boy?" He said, through clenched teeth. I noticed that it was the young master from the Hayes family, three houses down the street from the Abbott's, he was notoriously cruel to household servants, having fired more than enough helping hands than the gossiping maids could count. Oh no, I'm done for. I thought, swallowing a lump in my throat, my mouth dry. He sneered at me, "Who's your employer, boy? I think I might want to have a chat with them," he said, cruelly, grabbing me by my arm. I couldn't speak, I only opened my mouth, no sound coming out. "Well?! Answer me, boy! I don't have all day!" He exclaimed, twisting my arm under his grip painfully. A few ladies sitting near our spectacle started gossiping behind open fans, their eyes focused on us. I bit my lip, giving up. Might as well tell him, Taemin. He will find out eventually and then you will have to face bigger consequences. I was about to open my mouth again to tell him who my master was, when someone from behind him put a hand on his shoulder. "That's enough, Elias; Let the poor boy go." A deep voice said, and Mr, Hayes turned around, bewildered. to face my young master.

Minho.

He was staring hard at young master Hayes, his mouth set in a determined line. "Excuse us for a second, Taemin," He said, looking down at me. Young master Hayes and him walked away and stood a little away from me behind a tree, far enough from me where I couldn't see them or hear their voices. I stood there, dumbfounded, wondering how he knew my name and waiting for the delivery of bad news. Okay, maybe you can get a job down at the bakery; there was a help wanted sign there earlier. I thought, already making arrangements for my new job. Minho came back by himself, and I felt myself frown. Minho walked towards me, and grabbed me by my arm, "Come with me," he said, and proceeded to walk back to his home without waiting for my consent. I was surprised, I thought he would just fire me and make me go back to cook to explain why I wouldn't work there anymore. He opened the front door of his house,  and the maids and butlers turned into our direction, surprise written in their faces.

"No one is to bother me while I am at my quarters today," announced Minho, disregarding the confused stare of the main butler. "B-But, young master Minho,-" "No one is allowed to bother me, understood?" Minho said, sternly, leaving the butler only to nod numbly.

We climbed the stairs and walked down the dark hallway in silence, him dragging me and leaving me only to stare at his back. He's tall. I thought, still a bit numb over the fact that I hadn't even been fired yet. He opened the door of his room and pushed me in, making me almost trip. He locked the door behind him and turned around to face me. His face looked strained, his mouth set grim. "Taemin, why have you been pick pocketing?" he said. I froze, how did he know? the question must've been written on my face, because he said, "My window faces the park, it's easy to watch people outside," he answered my question, tiredly. I opened my mouth; Wanting to deny everything, but not knowing how. The back of my eyes started to burn painfully, No, Taemin; You will not start bawling! I pleaded with myself, to no avail. I was about to break down into tears when young master Minho spoke up again, "I need your help, Taemin," he said, quietly. His pleading tone was all I needed to look up, quickly. He had moved to lean on the wall near his bed, his chin on his chest. He looked vulnerable, which gave me a little courage, "...Why?" I said, curious. He looked up to meet my eyes, smiling ruefully, "Please," was his only answer. I only nodded, stunned that the young master from the Abbott family, one of the most influential families in London, was asking for my help, a poor kid from the slums. It seemed we were both stunned by my decision, since his eyes widened after I answered.

After that, I was basically done for.

 

1: Taemin lives in the Saffron Hill slums, a real slum from the Victorian Era.

2: I was thinking on typing like Taemin talked like a regular, uneducated kid from the slums, but I thought it would take too much time for me, so I will type normally from now on.

3: All thoughts, no matter which character thinks it, will be written in Italics, further changes will be announced.

 

[A/N Taiyou: TA-DAH~!!! HOW DID YOU GUYS LIKE IT?!? LOL, I'm happy with the start, it seems solid to me. Next chapter is Minho POV, so please look forward to it~!!! Also, I HAVE NOW COMPLETELY ELIMINATED THE CHANCE FOR TAELLI TO HAPPEN~!!! REJOICE~!!! *does a little crazy dance* LOL, now all I have to eliminate is MinStal and I'll be set~!!! Comment, please~!!! I want my readers' opinions~!!!

Lots of Love, and Happy Reading~!!!!!]