Follow the rules

A day off

 

Infinite’s dorm was probably the happiest on a day off.  Dongwoo usually went out to visit family or spend the day in Hongdae.  Myungsoo had a tendency to disappear but no one bothered to question him.  Everything was peaceful because of the rules the boy band set in place on their first day off.  Just three very important rules.

  1. Do not, under any circumstances, other than potential death, wake up Sunggyu while he is napping.  Especially if he went out drinking with his friends the night before.
  2. Do not tell Sungyeol that he has had too much coffee.  This is the one time he’s allowed to drink more than three cups a day.  Don’t ruin this for him.
  3. If you buy food, share.  You have no choice.

Breaking any of these rules leads to a variety of, usually odd, punishments and today was no exception.  Sunggyu was currently setting a record for sleeping, it was four in the afternoon and he had yet to get out of bed today.  Sungjong had tried to wake him up earlier for food, and to make sure his leader was alright, but a sleepy swat from Sunggyu stopped any further attempts.  Sungyeol, on his fifth cup of coffee, was debating on leaving to go to the store to get energy drinks as well.  Despite knowing he would regret the decision later that did not deter him, nothing would.  Even when he noticed something that suspiciously smelled like pork in the bathroom.  But he never actually suspected someone would break the day off rules, especially about food.

Woohyun, who had been hiding in the bathroom from the other members let out a sigh of relief as Sungyeol announced he was leaving.  He knew he was supposed to share but he had thrown his diet out the window and when he started eating he just couldn’t stop himself.  Though he felt a bit guilty his hungry outweighed all other thoughts.  He thought he would be safe in the bathroom, there wasn’t much food left, and he thought each of the remaining members were busy.  So when the door suddenly opened, revealing a very annoyed Sungjong, Woohyun jumped up, the last of his food flying everywhere.


“Sunggyu hyung!  Sunggyu hyung!”  Woohyun’s protests went unnoticed as the youngest member wiggled out of his grasp and ran towards the room their leader was sleeping in.  Woohyun managed to catch up to Sungjong when he reached the room, but it was already too late, Sunggyu was awake.  Sunggyu sat up slowly, rubbing his eyes tiredly and turned to the two who were bickering with each other.


Hyung was eating pork in the bathroom alone!”


“I’ve been on a diet it’s just this one time!”  Woohyun tried desperately to reason with Sungjong and Sunggyu, hoping the leader was too tired to care.
“So?  You have to share!”


“Who says I have to?  You’re the maknae shouldn’t you listen to your hyung and stop trying to get him in trouble?”


All arguing ceased as soon as Sunggyu stood, snapping, “Stop!”  And, to their surprise, suddenly a mass of silver specks flew towards them covering their hair and face.  The pair coughed violently as a great deal of the small pieces of plastics unfortuantely landed in their mouths.  The combined cries of hyung and why did not help with Sunggyu’s tired nerves at all and he flung more glitter at them growling.  “You woke me up and you didn’t share food.  Get out of my room before I get out the glue.”


Woohyun carefully stepped back, his hands held up in surrender, “Hyung…where did you get the glitter?”


“Get out of my room.”


“But hyung we share-”


“Out!”  Sunggyu shoved Woohyun’s arm successfully making him fall against Sungjong.  Sunggyu raised his hand and just when he was about to attack them with the glitter again, they ran out of the room.   Just when Sunggyu started opening the door they pushed it back crying out for mercy.


Sunggyu gave up trying to pry the door open quickly, but Woohyun and Sungjong didn’t move from their defensive positions.  After the dorm was quiet for a minute or so Sungjong turned to Woohyun and sighed, “If Sungyeol hyung finds out you drank the last of his coffee he’s going to kill you.  You’ve broken all the day off rules today.”


Woohyun huffed, indignant.  “Don’t act so innocent you had some of his coffee without asking too.  And you’re the one that woke up Sunggyu, not me.”  He didn’t understand where this rebuttal from Sungjong was coming from, usually Woohyun and Sungjong didn’t argue with one another.  Especially when it came to avoiding punishment.  Not to mention he had no idea how Sungjong found out about him drinking the coffee, he thought he had been discrete.   


Before Sungjong could offer any sort of truce, the one person they were hoping to not see cleared his throat loudly.  “So you’re the ones that drank the rest of my coffee?”  From the look in Sungyeol’s eyes neither bothered trying to make up excuses and nodded slowly.  “And you woke up Sunggyu hyung from his nap?”  Again they nodded slowly, waiting for some sort of backlash.  Sungyeol tsked and stepped forward, causing Woohyun and Sungjong to dive out of the way.  “You know what this means don’t you?”  He gave both the members a grin before darting into Sunggyu’s room, locking the door behind him.


Sungjong slowly backed away from the door and tugged on Woohyun’s sleeve, “Did he have energy drinks?”


“Yup.”  There was no denying the nervousness in the main vocal’s voice.


“And he’s going to give them to Sunggyu isn’t he?”


“Yup.”


“We should run shouldn’t we?”


“Probably.”


Run they did.  First into the other bunk room, but they decided that would be an awful place for defensive strategies.  After rotating through the bathroom, kitchen and the corner of the living room the guilty pair ran outside towards the market near the dorm.  Sunggyu and Sungyeol couldn’t exact revenge if they couldn’t find them, right?  Just as they were about to go into a karaoke room Woohyun spotted Hoya, walking towards the dorm, and ran after him.


“Woohyun hyung what are you doing?”  Sungjong cried as Woohyun scooped up a flailing Hoya and dragged the dancer back to where the dumbfounded Sungjong stood.


“Getting him…before…Sunggyu and Sungyeol recruit him.”  Woohyun breathed, rubbing his side where Hoya had kicked him out of shock.
Hoya looked between the two several times, blinked, and turned to go to the dorm again.  “You guys are insane; I’m going to take a nap.”  He never cared to get in the middle of revenge wars between members that broke rules.


“No, Hoya, wait!”  This time both Sungjong and Woohyun tackled the aforementioned boy to the ground earning a loud cry of protest from him and concerned looks from passersbys.


“Get off of me!  I just got this shirt!  If it rips I will kill you Woohyun!  Sungjong, your hand is digging into my side!”  Hoya continued to try to wiggle out of the grasp of the desperate members to no avail.


“Please hyung you can’t go in there, we broke the day off rules and now Sunggyu hyung and Sungyeol hyung want our blood!”  Sungjong cried, clinging onto Hoya’s legs tighter and Woohyun nodded in agreement.


Hoya winced as his hip dug into a jagged piece of gravel and spoke softly hoping to calm down his terrified band mates.  “If you get off me I won’t leave, this is embarrassing.”  After a few moments of hesitation they moved away and helped Hoya to his feet.


Once he saw that his clothes weren’t ripped he spoke, “So you woke up Sunggyu hyung and-”


“And drank Sungyeol’s coffee without telling him.”  Woohyun added quickly, shifting his weight from foot to foot.


“Wha-”


“And Woohyun hyung hoarded food in the bathroom.” Sungjong piped in, automatically shying away from Woohyun as he cut his eyes towards the maknae.


“Again!  I’ve been on a diet everyone would have killed me for eating it anyway!”  The older boy hissed, still indignant that he should have to share when it was the one time he was able to sneak food without the managers finding out and killing him.  Diets were hell and the other members, in his eyes, just couldn’t understand his pain.


“Still you could have offered to share.”  Sungjong replied, quietly, looking down in an attempt to make Woohyun feel guilty.


Hoya laughed nervously and covered their mouths before anyone near could attempt to make an issue out of Woohyun and Sungjong arguing.  “No wonder they want to kill you and wait a second…” He trailed off and rubbed both Woohyun and Sungjong’s heads, surprised when quite a bit of glitter fell out.  “Where did Sunggyu hyung get glitter from?”


Woohyun sighed and ran his fingers through his hair successfully bringing forth more glitter, “I don’t know he just pulled it out and threatened to attack us with glue too if we didn’t leave.  This will take forever to come out.”  The older male could already imagine the coordinators complaints.


“We can’t go back to the dorm unprepared then.  Sungyeol’s probably got something worse up his sleeve.”


“What do we do then?”


Hoya grinned and motioned for the two to follow him.  “We need ammo.”  Without giving any other hints, he turned and walked towards one of the busiest sections of the market.  


While they gathered items for what they assumed would be an ambush, little did they know that Sunggyu and Sungyeol were ready and waiting, three energy drinks each coursing through their system and a cup of freshly brewed coffee.  The only thing that could stop what would happen next would be a manager or coordinator arriving before Hoya, Woohyun and Sungjong returned.


No one did.


Sunggyu and Sungyeol attacked first.


As soon as Hoya opened the door a bucket of glitter mixed with glitter glue fell on top of him.  Woohyun and Sungjong weren’t even able to laugh at him before Sungyeol leapt forward, yelling, with a can of silly string in each hand and covered their faces with the pink and green material.  For a moment everyone stared at one another unsure of what to do next.  This could end up as a war that destroyed the dorm or a quick fight, depending on the amount of sugar in Sunggyu and Sungyeol’s systems.  No one was particularly keen on a drawn on war of arts and craft materials.  


Finally, Sungjong was the first to move.  Grabbing the bucket that attacked Hoya, he scooped the remaining goop out and  threw it right at Sungyeol who half screamed half squealed in response.  “What was that for?”


Sungjong huffed and threw the silly string at Sungyeol as well.  “You attacked first!”


Sungyeol scoffed and shot more silly string at the younger boy, “You drank my coffee!  And for that you must die.”


Sungjong smirked and held up a bag of buttons.  “Not without a fight.”  Sungyeol barely at time to dive under a pillow before Sungjong started pelting him with the small buttons relentlessly.  Woohyun and Hoya moved to help, or possibly break up the fight, only to be hit in the back of head with a mass of pipe cleaners.


Hoya, still not keen for a fight, held up his hands in surrender, despite how angry he was about his ruined shirt and hair, “Hyung let's be reasonable you have been sleeping for a while and-” He was silenced with silly string to the face.  All reason disappeared among the four after that.


Buttons, silly string, glitter, pipe cleaners, whipped cream that had somehow worked its way into the mix littered the room.  No one was spared from assault.  Even the owner of the glitter, Sunggyu, was covered from head to toe and pieces of pipe cleaner clung to his checks from the glitter glue.  The other members were in the same predicament some with more silly string then others.  Woohyun fared the worst with glue covering his arms and drying quickly, making every movement of his arms painful and whipped cream covered most of his head along with buttons.  Each member was exhausted but no one wanted to admit defeat.


“Sunggyu hyung why are you like this?  Can we stop now?”  Hoya huffed as he fell to the floor with a loud bang a few buttons falling off his shirt.  He tried futilely to fix his hair, wincing as the glue pulled at his roots.


Sunggyu fell to the ground as well, groaning loudly, not even bothering to move the can of silly string he landed on.  “When you all apologize and Woohyun buys food for everyone.”


Hoya whined and tiredly moved his arms up in protest.  “I didn’t even do anything I got dragged into this literally.”


“Aided and abetted.”  Sunggyu responded automatically and shot a look at Sungjong and Woohyun who looked ready to pass out.


Hoya was too tired to even argue at this point.  “Okay fine hyung, I’m sorry everyone is stressed they didn’t mean to break the rules it’s the heat it’s frying their brains.”      


“I-”  Hoya threw a handful of buttons at Woohyun before he could say anything in protest.  “Hoya!  I wanted to say I was sorry, stop it.”  He whined and fell to his back officially giving up.  “I’ll buy food I will just…just let me rest first.”


“You’re still a traitor for drinking my coffee.”  Sungyeol groaned as he rolled over to face the older boy.  His high from the energy drinks were fading quickly, he didn’t bother to fight off the swat to the head from Woohyun.


“I’ll buy you coffee too.”  Woohyun wondered for a moment if he could get out of buying coffee but he decided to try and save that attempt until later.
Sungyeol managed a tired smile and glanced over at Sungjong who just nodded weakly while trying to pick out some of the glitter from his hair.  “Fine, Sunggyu hyung?” All three turned to their leader for the final verdict only to find Sunggyu curled up in a ball, fast asleep.


“We should take that as a yes.”  Sungjong decided and the others nodded in agreement.  “But,” he looked around and sighed heavily, the dorm was a wreck, and they were all too tired to clean themselves, much less the dorm. “Who’s going to clean this place up?”  The second the words left his mouth paranoia that he would be chosen filled his chest.


Just as Sungyeol was about to suggest who through a game of rock paper scissors the door opened and Dongwoo announced his and Myungsoo’s return.  A chorus of Dongwoos and Myungsoos rang through the dorm as the three awake members crawled towards the other two very, very surprised members.  “Dongwoo, Myungsoo help us.”  They chorused and Dongwoo fell back against Myungsoo laughing loudly.


“What?  What happened?”  Dongwoo managed to ask through his laughter.


“Just help we can’t do this alone.”  Hoya whined as he tried to grab at Dongwoo’s leg knowing that soon Myungsoo would come out of his stupor and take the older boy away.


Sure enough a few seconds later Myungsoo grabbed Dongwoo’s arm and dragged the older boy out of the dorm, shouting an excuse of forgetting something in the van.  As soon as Myungsoo managed to drag Dongwoo to the staircase, Dongwoo pouted, “Shouldn’t we help them?”


Myungsoo stopped and turned back to the concerned rapper, “Do you want to be the one to clean the glitter out of Sunggyu hyung’s hair?”


Dongwoo didn’t respond, he simply ran past Myungsoo, down the stairs as fast as he could.  And when they heard the shocked, and enraged voice of their manager calling after them they sped up, unwilling to clean on their day off.  After all there was no rule saying they had to be the ones to clean up the other’s mistakes and sugar hyped adventures.  Though they felt like the manager would change that soon enough.  For now they would run towards the bus stop and hide in Hongdae until it was safe.  Even if their cellphones were already ringing constantly from calls from a very, very angry and tired leader.