All because of a dress...

wedding dress

 

==~~==

Deep brown eyes focused themselves to one very special wedding dress. It has been three years since it was used. Many have been asking to buy and rent it but the owner just wanted the dress as a display. The dress itself has a sentimental value, because it is solely made for the very special person in his life. Yes, the owner of the dress is a man, by the name of Dong Young Bae. His mom started the design for his soon-to-be wife’s wedding gown in the future and often asked if little Bae liked it. It turned out as a simple but elegant dress that any woman wearing it would proudly march her way down the aisle to meet her partner for the rest of her life and afterlife. When his mom died, he took over her job as a wedding coordinator and built a wedding shop which is getting popular every year. Looks like another one liked the dress as he presumed her reactions upon seeing it. How come a lot of them take interest in that dress? It was supposed to be only for his girl’s eyes but she, who has solely worn it couldn’t even appreciate its value. Besides, even he isn’t that pleased to see her when she wore it three years ago. He should be happy right? But he didn’t feel that way. 

When he first laid eyes on her, it was like fireworks were there and a thousand butterflies were in his stomach that he couldn’t sleep for days without thinking and dreaming of her. He was in a music store, looking for a good CD to listen when he saw her bobbing her head up and down with the music in her headphones without a care in the world. 

‘ Hey, isn’t that the famous group Big Bang?’ he said.

‘Eh? You love Big Bang too?‘ She was surprised to see someone beside her. ‘

I’m so excited for their new album!’ he replied with joy. It earned a smile from her lips. ‘

I’m saving to buy their DVD too!’. Both talked about how great Big Bang is and how much the artist has influenced them. They almost spend an hour listening and chatting all about Big Bang that they almost forgot to introduce themselves.

‘By the way, I’m Young Bae’.

‘I’m Sun Mi’. 

Their hands touched for the very first time. He felt it warm and relaxing to hold her. ‘ Are you free tonight?'’ he interjected without a thought. ‘Is this a date?’ she inquired.

‘I don’t know… If that’s what you call it then I guess it is’ he touched his nape while looking away trying to hide the blush that appeared on his chubby cheeks.

‘Okay… I’ll be your date tonight ’. She giggles. Hearing her laugh made him smile from ear to ear. 

They had their occasional dates and every time they meet was his greatest day. His feelings have grown but he still can’t say those three words. He always gets tongue-tied or stutters or had his stomach upsets preventing him from telling her. Just as he was ready to tell her how he feels, she also told him a secret that has changed everything.

‘I’m a single parent’ she was trembling as tears ran through her delicate face.

‘Y-You have a child?’ he was careful in asking questions as he doesn’t want her to break down.

‘I have two. One is 3 years old and the other is a year and a half.’ 

She showed him a picture of her two children. She told him her mom takes care of the younger child while she takes care of the other one. A sad smile formed on her face.

‘He’s back and he wants to correct his mistakes. I don’t know if I should say yes.’ She buried her face on her hands. 

‘Do you still love him?’ it was hard for him to ask her because he himself is afraid of her answer. 

‘Yes, even if he always hurt me. Even if he makes the same mistakes all over again. I,I… I still love him!’

‘I see…’ he is at loss of words. How can he comfort her when he also needs someone to comfort him? 

‘Aren’t you mad at me?’

‘Why would I be mad at you?’ he tries to smile. 

‘Because I can’t love you back’

‘Huh?’ all this time, she knows how he feels for her. 

‘How did you-’

‘I am not a fool to not have noticed it. I do have feelings for you but-’ 

‘You love him more’ after hearing him, she burst into tears.

‘I’m sorry… I’m so-‘ he stopped her from saying anything by touching her trembling lips. Their sorrowful eyes met and he did the very thing he wanted to do to her. He kissed her as she closed her eyes and kissed back. Their tongues intertwined as minutes seemed like hours. It didn’t last long and she bid goodbye to him. First kisses are meant to feel good but his became a bitter sweet one. It was like a kiss of death because he felt cold all of a sudden knowing he cannot hold her again.

Just then his door was opened loudly that he was interrupted from his thoughts. 

‘So, you’re the owner of this shop, eh?’ a girl panting went straight to his desk without any permission. 

‘I, I wanted that dress displayed in that corner. I don’t care if you let me rent it. I want to wear that on my wedding!’ he just stared at her while she keeps on blabbing on why she wanted the dress. She’s persistent to have it at any cost.

‘It’s not for sale or for rent’ he retorted and turns his chair away from her.

‘I am not leaving this place until I have that dress! Hey! Let me go!’

‘I’m sorry maam, the boss is final in not letting you have that dress.’ ‘I won’t give-’ and the door closed along with her fading screams. He glanced to where that special dress is displayed and another memory flashed. 

‘Young Bae, w-why are you giving me this?’ she was shocked to receive a gown. 

‘I was supposed to give it to my future wife. I cannot love anyone but you Sun Mi. Since I can never be married, my mom will be upset if I won’t be able to make use of her wedding gift. Please accept it.’ It was a genuine smile. She hesitated at first but she accepted the dress.

‘I’m going to return it after the wedding. I don’t deserve to keep it.’ He wanted to protest but he nods in return. 

The wedding is simple and it was solemn, he has seen her smile so beautifully for the very first time. Days after the wedding, she appeared at his shop with her husband. He thanked him for taking good care of her and is in debt to him. She returned the dress and kissed him in the cheek before saying goodbye to him. He touched the part where her soft lips were and he wanted to keep the warmth it had created.That was the last day he had seen the love of his life and the very first time his heart stops beating. 

==~~==

She was moving from shop to shop to find a gown to wear for her upcoming wedding. There are a lot of beautiful gowns to choose from simple to the most eloquently designed gowns but none of them interests her.

‘What is this with wedding gowns? Can I just wear some white cocktail dress instead? I’ve got lots of dresses already and I feel comfortable wearing them…!’ she huffed. 

‘But Min Ra-shii, a wedding is not some kind of party…pls. take your medication, you look pale today.’ her assistant was worried she might not find a wedding gown today.

Tomorrow is her wedding and she still hasn’t decided what gown to wear. She never was the picky type and her choice of dresses is not a problem until now. The young assistant could not help but wonder why her young master, Park Min Ra, is so hotheaded to not pick a suitable wedding gown. 

‘This is the last shop at this side of the city. You might find something you like here. Their gowns are not so commonly designed.’

‘Fine, fine. If I can’t find one that fits my character I will not wear anything at all during my wedding, got it!’ she hopped from her Ferrari 360 carbon Fibre stretch limousine, a very rare and luxurious car. She was about to go inside when she noticed a dress displayed on the right corner of the shop which has perked her interest. She made her way to the right side of the shop and carefully examined every detail of the dress.

‘I like it!’ she chirped and happily made her way to the door entrance to have that dress. 

‘I’m sorry ma’am that dress is for display purposes only’ the saleslady apologetically said to her. 

‘Eh? But that is the dress I’ve been looking for!!!’

‘Boss never allowed rent for that dress in three years.’

‘So someone used it three years ago? How come she can wear it and I can’t?’ her eyebrows furrowed. 

She didn’t like the idea that she is not allowed to wear the dress while somebody had used it before. She should’ve had accepted the idea that it hasn’t been worn by anyone. If someone has worn it, why can’t she? So she barged her way to the “Boss” ignoring the protests of the other salesmen. She saw him staring indifferently at her while she was trying to explain why she needed that dress. After saying those redundant phrases, he turned away from her and she was forcefully brought outside the shop.

‘Ahhhhh!!!’ she doesn’t like losing. ‘I will definitely stand on my word’ she glanced back to the dress while her assistant guided her back to the limo. 

‘What is wrong Min Ra-shii??’

‘We will not leave this place until I have that dress!’ she was having uneven breaths. Her vision becomes hazy and her chest was pounding too fast. 

‘Why? What happened back there Min Ra-shii? Min Ra-shii!!’

Park Min Ra was taken back to her home from passing out. She regained her senses for about an hour and noticed that she was back in her room. 

‘The shop is almost closing… I better be there before that happens’ she tried to stand and ignore the weariness she felt. She changed her clothes and escaped her way back to the wedding shop.

==~~== 

It is almost 8 pm but Young Bae is still inside his office while holding an envelope. It was given to him last week but due to the pile of papers coming in, the envelope wasn’t opened until now. It was the contents of that thing that left him motionless for a couple of hours and the cause of his reminiscing.

‘I’m sorry to whoever you are.’ He left the envelope on his trash bin. He was on his way to the door entrance when he spotted someone outside lying on the ground unmoving. He was about to drive the person away but found out that it was the same girl who had forced her way to his office a while ago. She is unconscious. He only did what his mind was thinking then. He brought her to his house.

‘Why do you have to go to such limits just to wear this?’ he was worried of her current state. She looks like she’s sick.

‘Hmm…’ a soft moan escaped her lips as she pry her eyes open. He finds it cute but brushes the thought aside.

‘W-where am I?’ she groggily talks.

‘You’re in my place.’ He appeared carrying a steaming bowl of soup.

‘W-wah?’ she was surprised to find the owner of the dress appear carrying a steaming hot bowl of soup.

‘Eat.’ He forcefully placed the spoon on while it is still open but he first blew away the heat from the spoon before placing it in leaving her with no choice but to take the soup.

‘Mmm..’ she savored the food on . He found her antics adorable but he never showed emotions.

‘Not bad’. He gave her the bowl and walked away.

‘Hey, can I have the dress?’ she tried to shout with her hoarse voice and gave out a squeak in the end.

‘Finish your soup first.’ Until now, all she could think of was that dress?

‘Hmpf.’ She pouted and she looked cuter, like a fish out of water. he smiled as he turned his face away from her.She quickly finished it. She arrived at the living room and found him listening to “Stay”.

‘So, you like Big Bang eh?’ he was startled to see her behind him. Looks like her mood became light. it must be because of the music.

‘I like them too, especially Taeyang-shii! His voice makes me feel relaxed’ she chirped. She was so different a while ago. Mood swings...

‘Why do you want the dress so much and tried to kill yourself just to wear it?’ he asked not looking at her.

‘I don’t know’ she was serious in having the dress.

‘I just felt that it was made for me.’ A sigh escaped her lips.

He turned around. She isn’t the girl demanding him to give her the dress anymore. Her voice is pleading and somehow his eyes darted to her lips. Another song is played which is still by Big Bang. It’s a slow song entitled “I Don’t Understand”.

‘The moment I saw it, I felt something… It’s like it is made not to impress but to make the wearer feel comfortable and loved. I think I can walk the aisle proud enough by just wearing that… I don’t need accessories nor make up. I feel like I’ll be the most beautiful creature if I wear that!’ She smiled.

‘Sorry about my attitude a while ago. I know it must have meant something to you. That dress… for you not to let anyone wear it for three years… whoever she is, she is lucky to experience that feeling. I have to go. Thanks for the soup!’ he felt guilty and sense another feeling he can hardly know.

‘What are you going to wear on your wedding?’ he stopped her. Now, “A Good Man” is being played.

‘I told you if I’m not going to wear that dress, I’m walking down the aisle with my birthday suit!’ she was back to her mood shouting the very last words to him before banging the door. Ah! She's a girl with fast mood swings. He pretended nothing happened but somehow, his feet won't let him stay on his couch and his heart agreed. Grabbing the dress, he went out to find her.

She was about to ride a cab when someone grabbed her hand. 

‘You left this!’ he said in between pants. He was running to cope up with her. She walks fast and she has no sweat in her forehead like it's her usual walking pace. 

‘Y-you… you don’t know how you have made my day!’ she hugged him so tightly almost breaking his ribs in the process. He hugged back and somehow felt good upon receiving such warmth. he hasn't hug someone for three years.He felt something warm on his chest and found out tears were rolling down her eyes.

‘Thank you for fulfilling my dream! All I want is to walk down the aisle with my wedding gown and happily seeing my soon to be husband kiss me tomorrow!’ She waved goodbye. Somehow those words left him thinking of what he had done to some girl’s dream. He fulfilled and crushed two girls dreams at the same time. 

‘I can’t marry someone I don’t know. May you have a happy married life Missy.’ He went back to his place feeling the warmth of tears soaked into his shirt getting cold and somehow that warm feeling he felt slowly dissipated as she goes away.. 

==~~==

It was a week ago when he allowed someone to wear that dress. He was wondering why she hasn’t returned it yet. He forgot to ask her name too. She made a promise to return it… she will return it. Then another week has passed and she hasn’t showed up. Luckily he spotted her on a cruise ship. He was invited by a friend and decided to have a cruise even without some partner to be cruising with… it was a moonless night and only the ship’s light illuminated the place. She was trying to get her tangled scarf free from one of the railings when she slipped and almost fell in the deep ocean if not for him saving her.

‘T-thanks...eh?’ her body stiffened. 

‘Are you trying to kill yourself just because your groom didn’t show up?’ she looked away.

‘I,I, how did you know my wedding was cancelled?’ 

‘You haven’t returned the dress’

‘That bastard didn’t show up! Sissy!’ 

‘He might be afraid of you’ he teased and she seems annoyed.

‘Since you are not afraid of me… will you marry me?’ Her question left him lost for words. Can he still love again?

‘You wanted the dress back so badly, I can’t return it if I’m not married yet.’ She thinks of marrying as a game and the dress as a requirement for her to win.

‘You think of marriage as some sort of plain contract and nothing else’ she frowned upon hearing those words from him.

‘So what if I don’t need to love someone just to marry’ she is fuming. He was trying to make a joke and she took it seriously. 

‘I just wanted to marry..it's my dream’ her eyes become cloudy.

‘You can’t marry someone if you don’t love them. A wedding will not be that great if the couple don’t love each other. It will never be a lasting relationship then. Mom always told me that a wedding is an event for two lovers united as one.‘

‘I’m a different case’ she looked away. ‘I don’t want to marry someone loving me...i will just...hurt him then’ she left him while he was stiff and trying to digest her words. Her last words were unheard by him.

==~~==

He was thinking of her words as she left him. He still doesn’t understand her reason. He forgot to ask her name again. Another week has passed. As he was trying to erase her from his thoughts she appeared with a bang on his door.

‘ I’m bored’ she plopped down the client's chair extending her legs on the desk like a boss in control. She crossed her arms elevating whatever mounds she have which he noticed as some lacy fabric was exposed. 

‘And you wanted to have fun by disturbing me from my work?’ he is disturbed alright but it seemed as if she didn't do it on purpose.

‘I still haven’t found my husband’ she was mad. Her pinkish lips were painted red which further made her pout rather seductive.

‘Why don’t you try to be nice?’ her eyes squinted and she huffed while he restrains himself from forming a smirk.

‘I don’t need to change myself to impress him’ he made a chuckle accidentally. She eyed him suspiciously. 

‘You never laugh!’ pointing a finger at him like some criminal of a sort.

‘I’m still human’ she half-smiled and half-frowned.

‘I must be dreaming… bye!’ she left him so abruptly as she enters. He wasn't  able to ask her for dinner.

They had these occasional talks. She would surprisingly visit him and annoy him or she would be the one annoyed and will leave him instantly. It has always been about the dress and her husband hunting. He still forgets to ask her name. He was used to her presence that he misses those days when she didn’t show up. He wants to see her but he can’t contact her. She has surprisingly crept up to his heart without asking for his permission. She always does that anyway. He still didn’t understand why she thinks of marrying as such. She is beautiful and smart. Certainly, she has suitors lining up. He never likes it when his employees seem to be checking on her and sent them death glares. Until he finally arrived to a question he himself finds it hard to answer. Who is he for her? Suddenly, a knock on his door startled him from his thoughts.

‘I came to return the dress my master rented’

‘Hmm? Her name is?’

‘Park Min Ra-shii’ He looked into piles of records for that name but found none. He was about to tell her that she might be in the wrong place but as soon as he saw the dress, he found out it was from her.

‘So she has married already’ he is supposed to be glad on knowing it but his heart disagrees. If only he acted sooner.

‘No, she cannot anymore as she told me’ the lady’s eyes looked away from him while she tries to hold back tears from falling down her face. 

‘W-what happened to her?’ he is worried.

‘She cannot see you as of now… will you see her sir?’ His mind was in a mess. He was blaming himself for not being there. Did she have an accident? He was full of questions that seeing her would be the best solution. 

==~~==

‘Y-you came’ she managed to speak from her state. She is in bed. Her eyes were dull and she looks paler than before. She tries to greet him but coughs up blood instead. 

‘Min Ra’ he tries to comfort her. 

‘You never asked for my name, how rude… who told you about me?’ He ignores her question.

‘When are you sick? Why didn’t you tell me?’

‘I have been sick from the very time we met but I’m glad you didn’t notice’ she continued. 

‘Remember the time when I passed out? I thought I was a goner then. You saved me twice too. It makes me think of you as my Guardian Angel… the snob one’ a sift smile graced her lips. 

‘I’m sorry I didn’t know’ was all he said

‘Why? It’s not like I asked for your help anyways. You always appear when I think all my hope is lost.’ She sighs. 

‘Did you receive the dress? I took good care of it and returned it as it is!’ by now, her eyes are sad

‘You shouldn’t talk’

‘I’ve been resting for weeks. My mouth’s drying up. Why do you think I asked my assistant to call you?’

‘I thought you were having a honeymoon that you were busy to personally return it to me’

‘Guess I couldn’t experience that’ she looked at him and his worried face. 

‘Why are you like that? I don’t like people who pity me.’

‘I don’t pity you’ he leans closer and bravely brushes some wild locks of hair on her face.

‘Yeah, sure. By now you’ll be disgusted of me because I have this deadly disease… you can get out now…I know I’ve disturbed you from your tiring work again.’ she looked away.

‘Why do you act like this?’ his voice seemed louder.

‘Hmm?’ Their eyes met.

‘I came here to see you by my own free will’ She could sense the truth in his eyes... the truth to see her as she seemed to be engulfed by the sincerity hi eyes shown.

‘I just wanted to thank you for everything. You don’t need to see me anymore. I’ve returned the dress. I won’t be disturbing you any-’

‘Don’t you know how you are disturbing my heart??’ it left her speechless.

‘Who am I to you?’ he was having doubts to ask her but he managed to say it. 

‘My husband’ this time it was him who was out of words. 

‘You were supposed to be my husband… by contract that is. And we were supposed to be married the day after you give me the dress.’ She added.

‘I didn’t know you are this Dong Young Bae whom I’m supposed to be marrying. It was just a coincidence that I like the dress so badly and bumped into you the day before our wedding. I know I told you that marriage for me was just a mere contract but after what you said to me on that cruise ship, I reconsider everything you said. It was also the day I found out it was you who was supposed to be my groom. I don’t know what happened after but I, I wanted to see you a lot. I lied in looking for someone to marry just to keep the dress for a long time… just so I can see you again. I didn’t know but I wanted to be always saved by you. Maybe, I wanted you to hold me again. It’s the only way for you to normally touch me. I started to not care if I’m not going to be married for the rest of my life. What’s a wedding dress’ use then, so I returned it to you. I’m just thankful that you helped me fulfill it…my new dream… that is to know love! Thank you for making my hearbeat raise every time you hold me and for giving me happy memories that I will keep in the afterlife. It’s fine with me even if you don’t love me back’. he cupped her face with his hand and wiped the tear that escaped her eyes. 

‘We still have time to fulfill your old dream and mine’ her eyes widened in surprise as he kissed her gently. 

‘You are a bad kisser’ she pouted. 

‘Have you kissed someone else other than me?’ his brow arched. 

‘My… my pillow’ he laughs at her. 

‘Will you marry me?’ ‘I cannot march down the aisle anymore’ she grunted

‘It’s not the right answer… let me ask you again… will you-’

‘I don’t need to answer that bastard’ 

‘A simple yes will do’

‘I’ll hunt you down if you don’t show up at our wedding again!!’

‘I’m waiting’

‘Make me’ he kissed her again. 

‘You are one naughty sick girl!’ he chuckled.

‘Do you know you might be infected by me?’

‘I can die with you!’

‘Pfft, so you’ll lend me the dress again?’

‘It’s made especially for you anyway’

‘I know!’ she giggled. Her energy was back like she wasn’t gravely ill. 

‘Now, get out… imma rest!’ 

‘I still need the answer’

‘Come back again to ask that!’ she throws him a pillow as he closed the door avoiding it.

‘I thought you don’t want to see me anymore’ he said from outside the door.

‘Then it’s your loss if you don’t come back, bastard!’

In the end, she never said yes but she only called him on when and where their wedding will took place. Typical Min Ra as Young Bae deduces.

==~~==

It was like some miracle had happened after their weird love confession. She somehow recovered from her illness which is good news because he gets to spend a longer time with her. There were no “I love you”’s exchanged and it looked like their normal bickering session. Their wedding ain’t that grand considering they both came from the wealthy class. She managed to walk wearing the wedding gown with pride. She looked healthier too. Unlike Sun Mi, her aura wearing that dress gives off a very bright and joyful vibe. It was the very first time they said “I love you” to each other as he adored her shyness and she complimented him on his kiss but took it back suspecting he was practicing with another girl. He laughed and said he tried it with his pillow. She giggled. He carried her just like the bride she is and she was threatening him to sleep outside their house if he ever dropped her. Ahhh, love is good!

‘Thank you for fulfilling my dreams! Now I can die happy!’ she brought her face close to him. 

‘Then you won’t experience heaven if you die now?’

‘So, you’ll be expecting me to be in hell, ne?’ 

‘Shut up and kiss me’ she boldly pressed her lips on him. 

They had their honeymoon on that same cruise ship. Weeks later, she was gobbling lots of food and blamed him for her ugly figure. He managed to say she’s still beautiful with the lump on her stomach. 

 ==~~==

‘You should have met her, she was really like you. Maybe that’s the reason why she easily melted my cold heart.’ He gently touched the tombstone of his beloved mother. 

‘I guess you have met her now. She was very happy to wear the dress you made. I’ll both love you for the rest of my life’ he laid down his mom’s favorite flowers and placed a chocolate on his wife’s grave.

‘I always wanted to give you flowers but you might come back and haunt me for giving you an allergy’ he laughs. 

‘Hey you!’ he turned to the direction of the voice and spotted a mini version of Min Ra tapping her left foot while signaling him to come to her. 

‘We’ve been here for 3 hours already… don’t you think that your daughter might be hungry and packed a snack for her? Instead, you are giving chocolates to someone else.’

‘She’s your mom’

‘She’ll scold you if you don’t give me that chocolate bar. You know she doesn’t like it when Min Young is hungry.’

‘Min young-ah, who told you that I didn’t reserve one for you?’ her eyes sparkled upon seeing the chocolate bar. 

‘Thanks Dad! You’re the best!’ she happily munched down her chocolate bar until a little bit was left. She went to her Mom’s grave.

‘I want to share this with you, mom! Let’s see whose tooth is gonna start to fall off!!!’ she may have left him but she has given him their little Min Young, an exact replica of Min Ra in and out.

‘Time to say goodbye for now! We’ll visit you tomorrow’ she kissed the tombstone while running towards her father and grabbing his hand. 

‘Ne, when will I wear that dress that mom wore on your wedding dad?’ Young Bae only smiles as he ruffled his daughter’s hair. It all started with the wedding dress. It has served its purpose on helping him find the person he will love for the rest of his life. 

==~end~==

Ahh…. This is my very first oneshot… I didn’t expect it to be this long… I got inspired after listening to Bae’s wedding dress. I’m not really a writer but decided to make this after being inspired by the song. Yes, Wedding Dress is my favorite YB song. I was planning to make it a sad story but it ended this way… LOL… my weird mind…. Anyways, hope you like it!!!!