Chapter One : The first and last

The brightest star of all. - Her POV {One shot}

“I want to study stars, so when it’s my turn to be one I know how to shine the brightest.” I smiled brightly and pointed to the pattern of stars on the sky.

Me and Kai was in a field creating memories together, ones that I don’t dare to forget. Memories with Kai was treasured memories locked up inside my head forever.

“But you already shine the brightest in my eyes.” Kai responded honestly. Please don’t say those lines, it just makes me fall for you even more.

 I laughed away my thoughts and feelings,“Oppa, I can’t tell wether that was one of your sarcastic remarks or a joke!”

“But you really do shine the most.” He retaliated. I gave him a soft stare and spoke, “I prefer to believe words that come out from more than one person, It seems more of a reliable source,” I paused for a while and smiled widely , “But thank you anyway. For now, I’ll believe your words.”

My mind was in a haze after staring at Kai for too long. He’s a weird kind of disease that I can never get immune to. Not even vaccination works.

‘Will our feelings ever be mutual?’ I asked myself. As if he could read my mind, Kai answered in a very re-assuring mine.

He pressed his lips against mine softly without asking permission, like it was his’ from the start.

A smile tugged on my lips as my lids fluttered down, I savoured the taste of his lips and till now I still remember how sweet and arousing his lips tasted.

Sighing, I opened my eyes with a contented smile plastered on my face. My eyes averted to the crowded pavements outside the window, most people were enjoying their time with their loved ones. Love, it really does bring out the good in you.

“Miss, would you like breakfast on the way?” Chan Il-ahjussi, my driver since childhood, asked me as he turned in a U-turn.

I nodded, not like I didn’t have to answer anyway. My stomach was grumbling loudly like there was no tomorrow, it how the plane food tastes blunt. I may sound harsh, but they really need to change their recipes.

Chan Il- ahjussi laughed as my stomach grumbled once more. I immediately covered my stomach with one of the pillows inside the car and frowned, “Next time I’ll accept dad’s offer to take his private jet. At least food is edible there..” I muttered the last bit gulped down my saliva.

The car parked in front of Starbucks, my favorite café. Thank god it’s scattered around the world, otherwise I’d have to build another Starbucks branch here in Korea. I’ve never heard any coffee lovers bash the exotic taste of Starbucks. Heck! They’d be crazy to even try!

 

Anyways, moving on from coffee. I ped my handbag and grabbed my thick Gucci purse, I asked Chan Il-ahjussi if he wants anything but he insisted on eating once he’s home where his wife patiently waits for him everyday.

“Hmm, I’ll take the taxi from here then.” I stepped outside the door and grabbed my jacket, “Ahjussi, please drop my handbag at my apartment then you can head home. I trust you not to get in any trouble on the way, okay?” Chan Il-ashjussi nodded and smiled, “You can rely on my professional driving skills, Miss Byun.” He winked.

I chuckled and shut the door close, man I should’ve changed my heels to flats. My heels are being murdered with pain! I shook away the pain and dragged my feet to Starbucks.

The vibe inside the shop was so cosy and full of love, it was full of couples after all. I marched to the counter table and ordered a large cup of Caramel Macchiato.

 

 

I waited patiently from the counter and tapped my fingers on the marble counter. The yellow-ish light shone on my ring finger where a nicely decorated diamond ring circled around it. My mood lightened up as I accepted my Macchiato and paid for it, “Keep the change.” I left the room leaving an astouned staff by the counter,.

“But you have more than 9,000 won change!” I heard her call out but I ignored her and walked out of the café with a bright smile. The weather complimented my optimistic mood as the sun was high up in the sky and the sky was plain blue without any clouds. Finally, it was summer.

I knocked on a random taxi window and waited for the window to slide down, I slightly leaned down as I spoke to the taxi driver. “Is this taxi taken?” I asked. The driver shook his head in response, with that I opened the door to the back seat and sat down shutting the door afterwards.

He asked for my destination and I gladly answered whilst playing with the ring around my finger. With a smile I sipped on my Macchiato and stared outside the window once again. Random fresh memories played inside my head as time passed.

“Aesook, dear. Come here.” Dad called, I did as told and sat down on the couch beside him.

I was wondering about the sealed aura, something seemed fishy. Dad summoning me from my room to the living room only means one thing; A favour in able to reach success.

It always was.

My eyes were hard and cold and I didn’t even dare utter a word. Don’t misunderstand me, I love my dad. I just don’t like how he’s trying to plan out my future by himself. What’s the fun in that?

He’s afraid of mistakes therefor I can’t learn from mistakes, I’ve always learnt through books. One more thing, he took away my freedom with Kai and I ended up being brought up here in Vancouver.

{{Note that Kim Hyung Il is Kai’s dad in this story.}}

“Hyung Il has confirmed about getting back to the business world,” Dad started. See? I told you, it’s all about business.“But he needs my help. Because we’re too old, we can’t last much longer to see the outcome of our plans.”

I nodded trying to look as intrigued as ever, but no I’m not. As usual, his words came in my ear and out on the other.

“We will combine our company together in hope to make a stronger and more refined company and the only way we can seal the deal is to make sure our companies are tied.” Dad explained further more, is he trying to say that Baekhyun-oppa will be marrying the only heir of Kim industries, AKA Kai?

No. Just no. That’s wrong, there must be another plan, I know I’m involved otherwise I wouldn’t have been disturbed from doing my handover for tomorrow.

“Baekhyun has already rejected his fate and turned down the position of being an heir because of his stubborn dream to become a professional singer,” Dad frowned upon mentioning oppa’s name. “So the position is left in your hands, meaning you’ll be the one to tie the deal with their heir. Marry him and combine our companies together, I’d like to see the cheers of my proud sister before I die.”

That’s how it basically happened, I wonder if Kai knows. Even I only knew this news last 2 days ago and I rushed to get to Korea once I’ve finished signing my papers.

The drive to Kai’s house was at least 15 minutes, it was unexpectedly long so I feel like rushing more now.  Once we reached out destination I paid the taxi driver and got out, once again not caring about the change.

I frantically knocked on the door and waited for the door to open. After the nth knock, the door opened swiftly revealing Mrs Kim, Kai’s mom and my second mom. I gave her a tight hug as soon as I saw her.

“Omonim~” I chimed like a golden bell as she let me in. “My goodness! Why are you in Seoul?” She immediately questioned my arrival. I shrugged and smiled in response, “To see the heir of Kim Industries?” I grinned.

Mrs Kim ushered me to the lounge and made me sit down, “Wait there, let me call your fiancée.” I sat down comfortably as I glanced around. Pictures of me and Kai was framed and put up on top of the fireplace and other locations.

“Kai!! Someone wants to see you!” Mrs Kim called out and soon left the kitchen. I could hear muffled arguments and instantly knew that Minseok-oppa was also home, I know no-one apart from Minseok-oppa to have that much energy to pick mini arguments with someone during the morning.

Minutes later, a very matured person cascaded down the stairs. He was tanned, like Kai, and his hair was put in a natural tousled style. He was handsome in an effortless way.

I kept quiet as Kai didn’t notice me at all, which was quite surprising considering the fact that we’ve been friends ever since our eyes opened.

“C’mon hyungs and Sehun. Mom cooked breakfast for us.” Kai broke the silence with a soft tone and sat down on a chair, he then started eating but stopped once he noticed no-one was joining him.

Sehun? Wow, do I look that much of a boy? I sniggered at the thought of me having a fake mustache and baggy gangster outfit.

He shifted his head to my direction and on cue I smiled widely obviously amused of his assumptions. Finally, he noticed me.

“Long time no see, KkamJjong.” I grinned mischievously, it felt so nice saying ‘KkamJjong’ once again. I missed that nickname, not once did I dare call another boy that name.

Kai dropped everything he was holding and pulled out his earphones and stared at me with his eyes looking like round saucers, “Aesook?”

I lightly punched his solar plexus and retaliated, “No.. My name is Sehun. Duh.” Kai seemed surprised with my sudden appearance that I had to snap him out of his lala land, “EXOPLANET to Kai? Has my signal from Earth reached you yet?”

Out of the blue, Kai wrapped his arms around me and kept me close to his body. His scent filled my nose once I inhaled, as expected Kai didn’t bother swapping his baby cologne to manly deodorants.

“Aesook!” He cried out in pure bliss. The moment was so cheesy and I started to feel a lot more shy about it so I pulled him off only to see him crying due to too much happiness.

“I don’t want my fiancée crying on the spot, what’s worse is he’s still producing snot till now!” I teased, it’s true though. I don’t want to wipe my fiancée’s snot whenever he cried, I wanted to kiss away his tears instead. But then again, I’d do anything for my loved one.

It was suddenly quiet as Kai wiped his tears away and flashed me an inquiring look. Oh man, this guy never reads the newspaper.  I forgot that.