Chapter 1.

SHINee No More

A/N: In line with the 4th SHINeeversary, here's the first chapter of SHINee No More ^^

Comments are appreciated~ 

 

ONEW's POV

I just can't believe what I saw on the television just now. I was busy flipping the pages of the latest Kpop magazine in my office when one of my staff excitedly went out of the kitchen and shouted at the top of his lungs, "Sir, i's Jonghyun-ssi! In the TV, right now!"

K-Kim--what? KIM JONGHYUN?! As in the dinosaur Bling-bling Kim Jonghyun?

I hurriedly went out of my office to find the customers staring at the television set. They were whispering under their breaths, others had their jaws dropped. I got chills. I don't know what to expect. It's been months since I stopped watching the television. Besides, frankly speaking, I am really nervous upon hearing my long-time bandmate/friend's name.

"So it's true then," I heard one of the pink skirted teenager said to her companion while looking at me just as I was walking near the TV set. She was obviously dumbfounded about the fact that I truly own this restaurant. I was never the one to actually put so much effort in advertising this place. I have a marketing officer to do that for me. And when news came out that Everybody Chicken restaurant will open its flagship branch in Seoul, I decided I would turn down every offer of featuring myself to any cooking shows or in any interviews. I can't let my past issues affect my newly established business.

So I looked at the television too, and oh yes, it's really Jonghyun, no more, no less. Imagine my shock when I found out he is currently promoting his first solo album. Kim Jonghyun in Inkigayo, doing his debut performance as a solo artist. Ah.. aigoo, I knew it. His passion for music is something to be envious of. He really had it in him.

I focused my gaze on the guy with the spiky hair and wondered why he looked kind of different. His hair was a bit longer and the tips were colored red. He was sporting a striped polo shirt with a nicely done necktie. He looked... what was the right word? Formal. Yes. That. He was belting out a very high note on the bridge of the song entitled, Those Were The Times.

Ah... a year. It has been a year since we last saw each other. How am I supposed to know what he's been currently doing? In fact, we weren't actually in good terms that last time we met. I mean, I think he was angry at me or something. I don't quite understand why. Jonghyun? Are you mad at me?

I was deep in thinking when my mobile phone rang. My heart stopped beating. I felt the urge to answer the phone immediately.

"Hello, Everybody Chicken restaurant."

"Onew hyung?" asked a very familiar voice. My heart was beating faster this time.

"..."

"Hello?"

"..."

"...Jinki---"

"Minho-ssi?!"

"Yeah, this is me. So you remember my voice, huh."How can I ever forget this deep, charismatic voice?

"MINHO! CHOI MINHO!" I yelled. I can't believe I was really talking to him now. Oh, Minho. Flaming charisma Minho.

"Oh, you don't have to shout, hyung. I can clearly hear you from the other line."

"Yes, yes. I know! I was... I was just.. Oh, how did you--"

"I really need to see you, hyung. No, I mean, I wanted to see you. Are you in your restaurant today?"

"Huh? How did you know I have a restaurant?"

"Oh come on, who else in the world will name their restaurant Everybody Chicken?"

"But--! Oh yeah." I smiled. He hasn't changed. He is still SHINee's, no, scrap that. He is still the cold, indifferent Minho that I have known. I tried my best to stay calm because deep inside, I really wanted to burst. A while ago, I saw Jonghyun on TV, and now Minho was calling me after 3 long years of zero communication! 

"Let's meet up? I'll be there in a minute."

"H-huh? As in now? Wait, let's not meet here. Let us meet at our old dorm." I am seriously excited to see him, but I can't afford to attract some attention here at the restaurant. Frankly, I would want to take this opportunity to stay private. Besides, our old dorm during the days would surely bring back memories.

"At our dorm, oh, but I thought it was already sold?"

"Yeah, it was."

"How are we supposed to go there if it's sold?" I have a feeling Minho was thinking that this is just another episode of the infamous Dubu sangtae. Sorry, Minho, not this time.

"I know exactly what to do. You surprised me a while ago, right? Now it's my turn to surprise you. I'll see you there, Flaming charisma."

 

 

 

MINHO'S POV

I have been waiting for Onew hyung for a long 45 minutes now. Have I really called the correct number and person? Is he really serious about our supposed meeting here, at the band's old dorm? I should've verified if he isn't in his Onew sangtae mode..

I was looking at the house for awhile now. I admit I was close to tears upon seeing it. Flashbacks and memories came flooding my head. This house... where five dreams were created, realized... and destroyed. I tried my best not to think about the painful memories because I wanted to keep thinking about the times when the five of us were at the prime of our lives. Well, not that I hate my life now. I can say I was quite doing well. It's just that, for me, nothing beats the times when I was still living in this very apartment in front of me, with four of the most important people in my life.

Okay, Minho, how can you be so emotional? I was never fond of affections. But standing here reminiscing about the times when I was the rapping flaming charisma of---

"MINHO HYUNG!!!"

I looked behind me and my heart almost fell when my eyes caught a pretty looking... wait, more of a pretty looking but now a manlier figure that was of Lee Taemin. Our very own maknae Taemin.

How he grew up! He is walking side by side with our ever silly leader Onew. They were heading towards my direction and even though I haven't seen them for awhile, it was as if we haven't ever been separated. They look just the same, except that, of course, they looked older and they do not wear the same type of clothing that the five of us are known for wearing anymore. Instead of a lovely vest, our maknae is sporting a simple hoodie over a plain shirt and a plain pair of black jeans. A bag pack was resting on his now broader shoulders. Onew, on the other hand, looks nice in a black shirt partnered with tight jeans and white sneakers. Looks more like an athlete to me than a restaurant manager. Our Dubu, as humble as I can remember, as down to earth as you can get. But Taemin literally grew up, he was now inches taller than Onew hyung. But, sorry Taem, I'm still taller than you.

"Taemin-ah. Onew hyung." I could barely contain my emotions. I began taking a step and walked towards their direction because if I just continue staring at them while standing, I could burst.

"Minho!!" Onew happily walked in a faster pace and when we were nearly a few meters away from each other, Taemin ran and put his arms first over my shoulders to give me a real, nice and warm hug. I didn't expect Minnie to give me a bone crunching hug, but he did. Despite not breathing easy, it still felt good.

"Oh Minho hyung! It was so nice to see you! We haven't heard from you! I missed you! We missed you!" After letting me go and breathe, he then smiled the smile that I was missing the most. You can never have a bad day upon seeing this cute irresistible smile. 

"Yeah, so much! Minho-ssi, give me a hug too!" I looked at Onew and I laughed realizing that his Dubu-ness hasn't faded, not even a bit. He flashed his angelic smile and I automatically put my arms around him. Now he was the one laughing. Probably because we never actually do this hugging thing often, before. I was never actually the type to initiate a hug, well, except for Taeminnie. But I missed Onew hyung so much, I can?t help it. 

"I gotta admit your surprise was really a surprise, Onew hyung." I smiled after letting go of Onew.

"Great! I thought you wouldn?t come because you were thinking I am being crazy!" Onew was still laughing.

"I was kinda thinking of that, yes. Haha. Just kidding."

"Yah, Minho, you haven't changed at all. You're still fond of making fun of me! Anyway, I'm sorry if we arrived late. See, I still have to do some errands in the restaurant and Minnie here had to finish his exams so I waited for him." Onew shyly said.

"Oh, no problem." I looked at Minnie. He was looking at me, too. "You're graduating this year, Taemin?"

Maknae nodded and smiled, with his doe eyes sparkling. "Yes, hyung, Onew hyung here is my private tutor. Thanks to him I can graduate on time, hahaha!"

"How much does he charge you then?" me eyeing on Onew hyung.

"Huh? No, I don't charge. He just eats at the restaurant. I am teaching him after dinner, when my work is all done." Onew was being defensive, but I could tell he was sincere in helping Taemin. Back in the days, he would also help Minnie with his school works in high school. He would even send and fetch Minnie and me to and from the school. He was a responsible and kind hyung. 

"Oh, I see." I just smiled, but I remembered something.

"Onew hyung, what about the dorm?" I looked at our old dorm then confusedly to Onew hyung.

"Oh! Yeah. Minnie, where's the key?" Onew began to playfully look in all of the pockets of Taemin's hoodie. But Taemin didn't mind that and instead he looked at me, then teasingly to his hyung.

"Hyung, what did you just say? Where is..." Taemin is still looking at Onew teasingly. 

"Key. Where is the--" Onew hyung stopped. I stopped too, and then I caught him looking at me since I was looking at him, too. I could not fathom what it was in his eyes. Regret? Shock? Anger? or was it just sadness? I realized I have to speak to break the awkward silence.

"Do you know where Kibum is? Is he still in Am--"

"Oh, Minnie! I found it!?"Onew ran as fast as he can. I don't know if it's because he's excited to open the dorm, or just to escape from my question.

"Yes, he is still in America, hyung. But I don't know how he is. I miss umma, too. But I don't understand why Onew hyung won't respond whenever I asked about him. I tried teasing him to Key, but it's not effective." Taemin pouted his lips. He looked like a kid who was saddened by his parents' divorce.

"Hey, you two, why are you still standing there! It's opened! Come over here!" Onew excitedly waved at us and pointed the dorm's main gate.

"What if we got caught? Isn't it a private property now? What if--wait, why do you have the keys--?" I got confused.

"Easy, hyung. You're right, the dorm's occupied. I occupy the dorm." Taemin laughed while looking at my confused face. 

"Eh?"

"I bought the place. I needed a private place so that I can concentrate well on my studies, and since it's basically near Onew hyung's restaurant and my university, I decided to buy the dorm."

"That's great!" I smiled and did a high five with Taemin. I felt happy that our old dorm was still not sold to anyone.

"I haven't changed anything with the interiors, and Onew hyung feels it should always be that way, too. Go and check out our room, hyung!" Taemin said with a smile.

"Sure, I missed it." I suddenly felt the urge to actually hug Taemin but then being known to control such cheesy emotions, I shut the feeling off and looked over the dorm instead.

"I wonder if we should call Jjong hyung and Kibum. I'm sure they're missing the dorm too." I suddenly felt nostalgic. Aish, shut up Minho!

"Yeah... I wonder about that too. I am seriously yearning for Key-umma's dishes and pastries, and his unbelievable shopping abilities! Oh, and I want to have him teach me English, too! And Jonghyun hyung! I want to have his autograph!" Taemin desperately blurted out.

I laughed at his aegyo and nodded my head.

"I promise I'll do what I can. I will try to gather SHINee together. Hopefully by the next two weeks?" I strongly said, my eyes darting across the dorm.

"The next two weeks? Wow. You sure you can do it, hyung?" Taemin innocently asked. 

"Yes. There's something you four should know about me."

I didn't want to give details yet, but I'm sure Taemin looked curious. So I've decided to move and walk towards the old dorm's entrance. Ah... it was a good feeling, walking towards this place. 

SHINee, I'm home.

 

***