Playing As Santa

Santa Onew and his Elf Jonghyun

 

Jonghyun woke up sometime in the middle of the night and, feeling excited, quickly crossed the room to wake Onew up.

“Hyung~! Hyung, get up! Come on!”

Onew groaned and mumbled something which sounded an awful lot like “Can’t we just wait till morning?”

Jonghyun tried to hide his impatience.

No, hyung, we can’t wait till morning! We have to do it now! They could wake up at any second!”

So, with a lot of bribery from Jonghyun, Onew drug himself out of his bed and followed the younger male to the closet they shared.

He groaned in embarrassment when he saw what Jonghyun had in the closet.

“Oh God, no! You don’t expect me to –“

“Of course! If you’re going to play the part, you have to look it!” Jonghyun grinned, a michievious look flashing in his dark brown eyes.

It took a lot more coaxing to get Onew into the Santa Suit then it did to get him up and Jonghyun feared that his poor wallet would be empty by time the night was over.

“Now come on, hurry up, hyung! We have to do this real quick like! We have to be ninjas, like Lee Joon-hyung in Ninja Assassin!” Jonghyun told Onew in a whisper as he made his way out of the room, checking the hallways to make sure the younger members of SHINee were still asleep.

Onew couldn’t see anything, but he had a really strong feeling that Jonghyun had made some kind of ninja pose a couple feet in front of him, and couldn’t help but roll his eyes.

How could this kid have so much energy in the mornings, especially this early?

He attempted to follow Jonghyun through the dorm, trying not to trip over things, but soon got lost and had to result in mewing for help.

“Jonghyun…Jonghyun where are you? I can’t see! Where the hell did you go? How can you –“

“Shh!” Jonghyun hissed from beside Onew, appearing beside him like a wraith, making Onew squeak in fear and surprise. “Stop being a chicken, no pun intended, and just follow me.”

“That’s kinda hard to do when I can’t even see you.” Onew snapped back, still surprised over Jonghyun appearing so suddenly beside him.

He heard Jonghyun sigh.

“Here, jus-just hold my hand. I’ll lead you there. No Onew Sangtae; you'll get us caught."

“…I can’t help it.” Onew whimpered quietly, feeling Jonghyun’s fingers slip between his own as he lead them both through the house until they reached the kitchen, which Onew could see clearly because of the small night light that had been placed there a couple weeks before due to, ahem, several late night munchers (which included everyone but Minho and Key).

Jonghyun released Onew’s hand, flashing him a big, contagious, and slightly mischievous, grin, before lifting himself onto the counter and sitting beside the plate of cookies and milk that Taemin had left out a couple hours before.

“Hey! Who said you get all the milk?” Onew asked, making his way over to Jonghyun to snag a cookie.

“I do! I need it more than you do anyway! Do you see how short I am?”

Onew had to suppress a laugh at that.

“You have a point.”

They munched on the cookies, Jonghyun finally putting the milk down after drinking half the glass to stuff his cheeks in silence for a couple seconds.

“Yah! We forgot the presents!” Jonghyun whispered harshly, face palming himself after a couple minutes of silence. “I’ll go get them. Don’t move! You’ll probably trip over Key’s shoes that are lying in the middle of the living room or something - and fall and die and wake up the whole house and –“

“Okay, okay! I get it…I won’t move.” Onew muttered, receiving a nod in response from Jonghyun before he scurried off to get the presents.

Onew grinned to himself and took a huge gulp of Jonghyun’s milk, leaving only a fourth of the slightly warm, since it had been put out at around nine when Taemin had gone to bed, drink left.

“Hehe.”

Jonghyun returned a second later, a red velvet bag slung comically over his shoulder.

“What kind of Santa forgets his bag? Geez…”

“Maybe one that didn’t want to be Santa in the first place?”  Onew suggested, shrugging his shoulders a little and jumping down from the counter. Key would have killed them if he would have seen them sitting on there, so he was glad that the naggy diva wasn't awake.

Jonghyun ignored him and set the presents down.

“Okay, we need to put these under the tree…then finish off these cookies. I said then,” Onew pouted and reluctantly put down the third cookie he had grabbed. “This is more important! Presents are always more important!”

“No! My stomach is –“ Onew countered a little louder than intended.

“Shh! Hyung, be quiet! You’ll wake up all of - wait a minute. Did you drink my milk?”

Onew kept a completely straight face.

“Of course I didn’t.” He managed to make a disgusted look cross his face, even though he was trying not to laugh. “Drinking after other people is disgusting!”

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow.

“Sure, hyung.” 

“Presents?” Onew asked slightly nervously, trying to change the subject. He scratched at an old food stain on the oven, ignoring Jonghyun's accusing stare. He was glad when his plan worked and Jonghyun's mind was focused elsewhere. He was glad, for once, that his dongsaeng could be led off topic easily.

“Right!” 

…They hadn’t even moved two feet and excited the kitchen before Onew Condition decided to strike.


Taemin woke to a loud crash and was instantly quietly squealing with delight.

O.M.CHEESE! SANTA IS HERE!

He leaped from his bed and, trying his best to be quiet so he didn't wake up Minho or Key, who most of the time were very light sleepers, tiptoed out into the hallway.

As soon as he free from the room, he released an evil giggle that he had been trying his hardest to hold in. He just couldn’t help it.  It had taken him 14 years to get the chance to see Santa. And he was determined to see him now – just to prove Jonghyun wrong. The short dino had said the most absurd thing he had ever heard. He had said that Santa wasn’t real! Wasn’t that the most ridiculous thing ever?

He tip-toed as quickly as he could through the dark hallway, still trying to be as quiet as possible so he didn’t wake anyone up.

Taemin managed to find his way to the kitchen and what he saw confused him.

He didn’t remember Santa being so short…or having a pillow as a belly in the storybooks.


Onew had managed to trip over absolutely nothing, which, Jonghyun had to admit was pretty impressive.

Jinki landed right on his face with a quiet “Umph!” and a small grunt of surprise.

“Crap…” Onew murmured, puffing his cheeks out in frustration.

“Didn’t you hear the ‘No Onew Sangtae,’ part of our conversation earlier, hyung?”

“Apparently not…”

Jonghyun cast a nervous look over his shoulder, momentarily ignoring Onew on the floor.

“I hope we didn’t wake anyone up…”

Onew silently appreciated that he had used the word ‘we’ instead of ‘you’, even though it was only him that had tripped and made the noise.

He pushed himself up from the carpet, which actually smelled really good, Key must have cleaned it recently, with great difficulty due to the extra weight the Santa costume added.

“Think we should hide?” Jonghyun asked warily, glancing back at Onew. Onew hesitated.

“I don’t know, Jjong…do you hear anyone up?”

The pair listened for a second and released a sigh of relief when they didn’t hear anything. Normally, when a person walked down the hallway, there was a board that let out a large squeaking noise that would have alerted them to anyone’s presence.

“Um…” Jonghyun ran a hand through his messy hair. “Let’s…forget the presents for now and finish eating…just in case.”

Onew nodded, agreeing, and went to eat the rest of the cookies while Jonghyun continued drinking his milk, trying to buy them time, just in case someone was woken up and they weren’t seen in the process of putting presents under the tree. If Taemin were to be the one to catch them, then they'd be royally screwed...and have to attempt to lie about what they were doing, which was going to be hard since Onew was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. 


Taemin was appalled when he saw Jonghyun in the kitchen alongside Santa.

How the heck did Jonghyun-hyung get to meet Santa first? That wasn’t fair! Jonghyun didn’t even believe in Santa Claus anymore!

“Jonghyun-hyung? Why are you drinking Santa’s milk?”

Jonghyun choked on the remainder of his milk, spewing it all over ‘Santa.’

“T-Taemin?!”

Taemin frowned at Jonghyun, but then focused his attention on Santa, his excitement returning and overlaping the confusion and jealously he felt upon seeing his elder band mate. He was finally able to see Santa face to face! And talk to him too! 

“Santa!”

‘Santa’ turned around, his eyes wide and his face paler than usual.

"Onew-hyung?!"

...and that’s when Taemin found out about Santa - the hard way.


Sorry for the random picture that doesn't fit with the story - but I just had to put it up here! XP Taemin is just...TOO. CUTE. FOR. WORDS! This also made me laugh...so...yeah, that's another reason. Anyway, I hope you guys liked this! :) It was just something random I thought up the other day, even though it's...not...even...close...to Christmaaaaas~ so yeah. Let me know how you thought about it, and please let me know if you see any spelling errors or grammer errors, I appreciate it and it also helps a TON. Thanks everyone! <3

Doesn't he look likes he's saying that??