Between Hell and Heaven

QMi - Between Hell and Heaven

“Kui Xiaaaaan!”

 

The little demon turned, only to receive a white little person with pure feathery wings and a giant super happy smile in his arms. Kyuhyun let a growl out and showed his tiny fangs to the angel who jumped on him. “I am not Kui Xian, I am Kyuhyun!” Zhou Mi tilted his head to the side, losing his smile and his eyes becoming big and round. “But you know I can’t say it correctly.” “You could at least try. Want me to transform your name into Joomhyuk or something?”

 

The little angel’s eyes suddenly became all teary. “No…” Kyuhyun sighed. It wasn’t easy to be friends with the angel prince, Zhou Mi, while he was the demon prince. But at that time, peace reigned between the two nations, and there was no reason for him not to like Zhou Mi. Except the fact that he still couldn’t say his name correctly despite the fact that they knew each other since they were born.

 

Their parents had signed a peace treaty before their birth, and they renew it every year to be sure the other nation wouldn’t suddenly attack without any warning. There was peace, but no friendship. Except between the two princes who had grown together.

 

Today was one of those days when they would renew the peace treaty between angels and demons. Earth was the place they chose to do that important task since it was a neutral zone. Angels wouldn’t dare set foot in Hell except for war, and demons hated the whiteness everywhere in Heaven. So the human world was perfect for that and while the royal families were signing and reminding each other of the treaty’s terms, the little ones would play together.

 

“Are you still a baby or what? We’re two hundred years old now and you’re still a big crybaby. Do they raise you to be like that or is it just your personality?” Kyuhyun sighed, causing Zhou Mi’s eyes to get a lot wetter than they already were. “I’m not a crybaby!” “You are! Or else you wouldn’t cry like that just because I asked you to try to say my name correctly.” “But demon names are weird! I can’t say them correctly, I tried!”

 

And Kyuhyun sighed again.

 

********************

A thousand years later…

********************

 

The demon prince’s tutor barged in the throne room, with blood all over his body and arrows stuck in his wings. His eyes were alarmed.

 

“Sir! Sir Kyuhyun!”

 

The prince frowned. “What is it, Kangin?” “The royal family, sir! Your parents! They died fighting the angels! And the angels’ armies are descending to Hell to kill our new king. You, sir!”

 

Kyuhyun sighed, scratched his head, and sighed again. Three hundred years ago, the war restarted between angels and demons. His life-long friend Zhou Mi became an enemy and he had been forced to always stay in Hell, because Earth had become too dangerous. And while his parents were away, fighting the angels, he had been completely alone.

 

He hated war.

 

War was only causing trouble, not only to him but also to all of his people. The weakest ones died early, the strongest ones were fighting, and the other ones were trying their best to survive. Kyuhyun really hated war, but because up to now he was only the prince, he couldn’t do anything to stop it. And even now that he was the king - he had no time to think about his parents’ death -, he wasn’t even sure he could stop it.

 

The angels had started the new war. One day they stated the demons shall be eliminated and they attacked the day after. So Kyuhyun thought he couldn’t do anything to stop the war by talking with Heaven’s royal family. If only Zhou Mi’s parents were dead. Zhou Mi could understand his desire to stop the war. But he couldn’t cause sorrow to Zhou Mi only because of that. He knew the now-not-so-little angel loved his parents more than anything. And, honestly, that thought made him get a bit mad inside.

 

What could he possibly do to end that war? Seriously. He couldn’t kill Zhou Mi’s parents, and Zhou Mi couldn’t do anything while still being only a prince. The royal rules were the same there: the prince was only there to replace the king once the king was dead. Though the queen had to be dead too, otherwise the prince was still just a prince.

 

And suddenly, he had an idea. Only temporary, because maybe the angels would be totally mad at him if he did that. But since he had no other idea, he had to try this one. He instructed something to the demon still in front of him and asked someone else to bring his armor. When he was ready, he spread his wings and flew until he reached the battlefield, much closer to Hell than to Paradise. A few demons gathered around him to protect him and he made his way as discretely as he could to Heaven’s gates. Taking advantage of the fact that most of the angels were fighting, he reached Heaven’s palace and slipped into the prince’s room, knowing he would find him there because Zhou Mi was just like him, confined into his room because outside was too dangerous.

 

But of course, it wouldn’t be so easy. Zhou Mi had been trained to defend against demons, and as soon as Kyuhyun set foot into the room, the angel was on him, sword out and ready to stab the demon or cut his throat, until Kyuhyun screamed “Zhou Mi! Zhou Mi, it’s me, Kyuhyun!”

 

The blade moved away from Kyuhyun’s throat and Zhou Mi’s eyes widened. “Kui Xian? Is it really you Kui Xian? But what are you doing here?” The angel let Kyuhyun free and helped him get up on his feet. But the demon prince wasn’t really happy about how Zhou Mi had welcomed him and let out a growl while showing his fangs. “Your angels killed my parents, so I’m the king now. And I hate war so I thought about kidnapping you to get your parents to stop the war. Of course I’ll do it only if you agree.”

 

But Zhou Mi hadn’t listened to what the demon had said. The only thing he had noticed was the way Kyuhyun had growled and showed his fangs. Kyuhyun hadn’t changed at all. He was still his Kui Xian. So maybe…

 

“Zhou Mi, could you PLEASE listen to me when I’m speaking? Seriously! You’re still the same! Is that how your parents raised you? You’re the future king, if you don’t listen when your people are speaking to you, you won’t be a good king!” Kyuhyun’s exasperated voice made Zhou Mi’s eyes get sad. Not teary, but sad. “Kui Xian, you’re still so mean! I was just thinking that you hadn’t changed at all since the last time we saw each other…” “Well, think about it when the war will end! Do you PLEASE agree to let me kidnap you?”

 

And Zhou Mi smiled. That bright smile he always had since the very beginning. “If that can stop the war…”

 

So Kyuhyun kidnapped him. It wasn’t an easy task since Zhou Mi was taller than the demon, and he had to ask two demon warriors to carry the angel prince to Hell.

 

But they finally made it, and Zhou Mi looked around him carefully, not really trusting the palace made with human bones when demons were still barbarians. “Is it safe here?” he asked, not sure. But Kyuhyun took his hand, and dragged him to his room. “It’s safe here, don’t worry. I’ll be going now, I have to meet your parents and tell them I kidnapped you, to make them stop the war.”

 

“Kui Xian! Wait!”

 

The angel’s voice stopped Kyuhyun from leaving the room, and his glowing red eyes looked at Zhou Mi, a bit worried. “Yes?” “Please don’t leave. Not now.” The angel got closer and his hand touched Kyuhyun’s cheek. “Kui Xian, we haven’t seen each other in three hundred years, and you just want to leave me here? You don’t even want to know what I did during these three hundred years?” Kyuhyun frowned. “Well, you… had fun with your parents? You learned how to fight a demon? You learned how to ride a dragon?” “I thought about you, Kui Xian. I really missed you.”

 

But Kyuhyun didn’t hear half of it. He left the room before Zhou Mi finished half of his sentence. He didn’t want to know. Not now. Not before he went to risk his life in the middle of the fight just to stop that stupid war. If he survived, then he would listen to Zhou Mi. Not before.

 

So he just went back to the battlefield with his bodyguards and tried to find the royal family among the angels. When he finally found the king, he went in his direction. “Hey, angel king! I am Kyuhyun, prince of the demons, and I kidnapped your son! Please stop this war or my demons will kill him!”

 

His plan could’ve worked. The king made all angels stop fighting and the queen let out a big worried “oohh!”. Both were ready to listen to his conditions. Yes, his plan could’ve worked if a voice didn’t suddenly ruin it.

 

 “Kui Xian, could you PLEASE listen to me when I’m speaking?!”

 

“. Zhou Mi.” He turned, only to receive a big white person in his arms. Strongly enough for him to fall on the ground. “Seriously! You’re only causing trouble! What the Hell are you doing here?! I kidnapped you!” Kyuhyun roared, furious, trying to get back on his feet. But Zhou Mi had hugged him and wouldn’t let him go. “Kui Xian, listen to me. I missed you. I missed you a lot! And we finally see each other, and you don’t even look at me like you used to. I… I really missed you Kui Xian, and I hoped that you missed me too… but you just used me to end this war… am I that not important to you Kui Xian?”

 

And before Kyuhyun could reply anything, Zhou Mi’s lips were on his. He instinctively closed his eyes. The angel’s lips were so soft… Both of them had forgotten where they were. And both sides, angels and demons, were watching them with big, round eyes.

 

That’s how the war ended. If love were possible between an angel and a demon, why wouldn’t peace be?

 

A thousand years later, Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi were still in love with each other. Of course, both of them had to find a wife and have children with her, but everyone knew that the two kings made it out of obligation only, because the royal rules said so. When they could, they went to see each other. But they never saw each other in Hell or in Heaven. When they saw each other, it was always on Earth. Where it all began…