WHAT????

The 1000th Balloon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

--

 

 

*Yamada Rio’s POV*

March 30, 2012

The sound of the bell signalling the end of the day tingled in my ears along with the soft breeze touching my cheeks. I felt a sudden chill on my spine as I took a glance at the piece of paper on my right hand with the name “Yamada Ryosuke” embedded on the surface of it.

 

I remember just this morning; I took all my courage to ask him to meet me on the rooftop that to my surprise, he agreed into. I smiled at the thought and a sudden feeling of uncertainty gave me the reason to feel a hasty burning sensation near my cheeks as the idea of confessing flashed before my mind. He’s Yamada Ryosuke for goodness’ sake!

 

What am I thinking?

 

Moments came and God didn’t allow me to think any further or even change my mind of my planned confession. I took a deep breath after hearing the faint sound of the door opening behind me that immediately followed by set of footsteps coming my way. My body then involuntarily turned around and saw his perfect skin pattern complimenting with the subtle colour of the sunset which is visible from our place in the rooftop.

 

He portrayed a blank expression before me. A sudden block on my throat was felt as the sound of my beating chest rebelled against the rustling winter leaves and the faint voices of our school mates down the building, signalling that it is indeed the end of the day.

 

“Rio-chan… You want to give something to me?” he said silently then eyed the piece of paper I was holding. I tried my best to act normal but his expression changed as soon as I managed to force myself near his place.

 

“H-Hai…” I struggled to speak for a moment. I wasn’t thinking properly at this minute. All I want to do now is get this over with – not really thinking what reply I’m going to get.

I looked down and said the words that took all my strength just for me to tell him.

 

“I – I like you Y-Yama-chan… ” I boldly said which I regretted soon after my statement. I waited for a while hoping that my feelings actually reached him. The moments of silence he gave me is like torture piecing inside my chest within every tick of a second.

 

But then, he spoke…

“Balloons…” he took a few steps forward my direction and a sudden strange feeling lifted me in my place. I’m not really sure what he’s getting at, as this random word just came from his mouth.

 

“Eh?”

“I want one thousand balloons…” he paused then looked at me seriously in the eye… “If you’re able to collect one thousand balloons and release them at this very spot, I’ll consider your feelings.”

Time stopped. I blinked twice, trying to process all the things he said. I felt my own chest clutching as his stares became deeper and deeper. Then, I saw his figure fading as he took the initiative to go on his way outside the rooftop.

 

“What the heck does that mean?... One thousand balloons?” I asked myself and just thought how that man came up with such idea.

 

Did he reject me? I don’t know… but by this time, there’s only one thing on my mind… get those one thousand balloons on my   hands before his special day.

 

--

 

April 2, 2012

 

“What?! The jerk wants you to prove your love for him using balloons?” Rio heard her senpai Rina proclaim the sudden news from her confession. A few pairs of eyes were diverted on their way that made Inoo and Ruu pull her down to her own chair.

 

“Relax Rina-chan…” the ever so calm Inoo spoke next, with his hand still on Rina’s shoulder… “Your blood pressure’s rising again!” he continued that didn’t fail to bring a sudden chuckle from the group. However, their smiles faded when they looked at the weak facial gesture given by Rio - silently letting things out of her mind.

“I think you can do it Rio-chan…” a sudden beam of encouragement was given by Ruu that is followed by a wide smile coming from Yuto who’s sitting next to her.

 

Rio just gave off another weak smile to the group and pulled out her red notebook from her bag. She took her pencil out and started scanning through the pages of her notes to find a particular page. The four people around just watched her actions and focused their gaze towards the scribbles on the sheet of paper.

 

“I calculated all my costs… 1000 balloons will probably cost about 80,000yen all together ne?” she suddenly eyed the paper… “My pocket money will not be enough so I think I have to work part-time!” she continued but this time, a bit of enthusiasm on her part.

 

Yet, Ruu and Rina just frowned on this idea… “You are not working to get that many balloons and just release them, missy!” Ruu shook her head but Rio just replied with her usual subtle facial expression as if saying ‘thank-you-for-caring’. By this time, they know, they can’t stop her.

 

Rina and Ruu know what Rio feels since the beginning. And having to give up just because of a challenge will not make Rio stand behind and do nothing.

“If that’s the case… Let us help you!” Rina patted the younger one’s head with a wide smile.

“Yeah~” Inoo interrupted and took something from his pocket. He let out all his coins and placed them on the surface of the table with the attempt to count every single one of them… “1,2,3… I have 300yen here, Rio-chan… you can have them!”

All the people across the table then giggled except for Rina who seems to be trying her best not to whack Inoo’s head in front of everyone… “You really can’t read the atmosphere, ne?” Rina rolled her eyes before pinching Inoo’s cheek.

“Thanks guys… But I think I need to do this myself!” Rio said calmly before taking a deep breath… “No one helped me to like Yama-chan… I want to show him what I can do independently” she continued that didn’t fail to bring doubtful thoughts and concern faces from her friends as they know this Rio in front of them has always been dependent to someone.

--

 

 

April 4, 2012

 

*Yamada Ryosuke’s POV*

 

“Ohayo Yama-chan…” she beamed her usual smile at me. I watched her enter the room and gave me a warm greeting that didn’t fail to make me realise how stupid I was. I didn’t think that much

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter