AND YOU ARE?

UN-PRETTY

Can you tell me about your usual everyday college life? Well, If you are studying at Taipei International, every teenager will tell you with green with envy eyes that you are living a dream. Because it wasn't just any school that  you can think of. More of a university where high standards in educaton are well achieved of course with the highest range of prices. Welcome to the place of the grand, the intelligent, the social climbers, and the wasted. Want to get yourself hitched in? Think again.


It was late in September. A breezy morning, a cloudy quite sun lit day and girls squealing their hearts out at the hallway. On the sides of the wall of the hallway were vertically long brown wooden lockers, those were custom made to fit everything about anything like school sneakers, clothes,books, even a golf club for sports related subjects, I guess that's how spacious it is. Then a girl slammed the cover of her locker, the crook loud sound it echoed that  stopped the other girls making noise on the other side. Actually there are only three girls but their voices in chorus sounds like a group of twelve cheering for their favorite basket ball team palying inside a huge gymnasium.  The three girls turned to face the other girl by the locker.


"Hey! You stop that so annoying!" The three girls shouted again in chorus.


Their small trying hard to sound cute and sweet voices were just a little freaky and devilish. Wearing stylish clothes, seven inch heels, and heavy make up on. They look like super models with zero waist line posing for glossy covers.  The girl on the right side who wore a skimpy white dress  with a black belt that accentuated her tiny waist and tan skin that shimmered ang glow is Bianca Bai. Her family own a huge firm company as her parents were both lawyers and its a shame that she's a complete lunk head with explaining and reasoning. The other with the brown hair? That's Tiffany Hsu the half italian half taiwanese hotel heiress. No one knows about this but she had repeated a semester last year, the only consolation was she attended school early. Last but definitely no the least. Fan Bing Bing the Chinese University Queen Bee. With her silk long black locks and mesmerizing pair of light brown eyes it was a no doubt that she reigned as prom queen for straight three years maybe again for this year. But still, she's nothing but a pretty  face as well.


 

The girl by the locker still has her eyes on the three girls. Hawk like eyes narrowing on them, she fixed her dark framed eye glasses  to level to the ridge of her button nose.

 

"then what do think you are doing? same thing, Bothersome..."  eyeglass girl replied.

"At least we are just bothersome, not annoying!" Fan Bing Bing retorted and flicked her long hair.



The girl laughed. Thinking that this pretty girl in front of her had just proven that she was indeed a perfect example of an airhead.      Bothersome is a synonym of annoying just like the words infuriating and maddening. Nonetheless,Bing Bing got confused or worst, she really doesn't know a thing about synonyms at all. "maybe you thought it for an antonym lady." she said to herself.
 The girl fixed her eye wear for the second time, while her book nestled at her other arm and then said.


"Can you please do me a favor?"


"Whatever, I think we can only do that for beautiful girls like us. Not with ugly ones." Bianca fired back as she enveloped her arms together like a knot. Then naturally rolling her eyes, fiery enough.


"Then might as well do it for yourselves. I guess it would not be too hard but I am sure that you would definitely benefit from doing this." Bianca, Bing Bing , and Tiffany looked at each other smiling ang looking back to the girl excitedly wanting to her what she was going to say. They giggled and waited as the girl also smiled a small smile for herself. "Then what is it?"

 

"Go look for you brains. The lost and found section might help."

 

She gave them a crook smirk. Holding her books she turned from them and walked away leaving the three girls in awe, wide eyed and ashamed. There was a irritating shriek nd loud thumping of heels. The girl laghed putting her small hand to cover her lips. She can now imagine them at rage with cheeks not pink because of cosmetics but full blast red because of anger. She lowered her head and her dry fringed covered most of her forehead when she heard them curse her name, which she didn't mind.

 

She was Ella Chen anyways and she had been used to all kind of criticisms of all sorts, degree and sizes. the air whipped again making a few strands of loose hair from the side of her face fly away.  She was the only child of Victor Chen and they own a motor corporation named Chen motors which is the sole distributor of different luxury cars like Jaguar,Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and many others in Taiwan, Hong Kong, And Singapore not to mention other business ventures that they had in the food industry. Her mother Elaine Chen was a former beauty queen who owns a chain of restaurants. But Ella doesn't resemble her mom. It was like she has features that were built for hard labor, almost everything she got from his father.  But not quite how she thinks.

 

---

 

"there is nothing like a place with this calming effect." Ella whispered, settling on her favorite spot here in Taipei International for the past four years since her freshman days and now that she is going to graduate from college soon. Still, this marble bench beneath a huge  flowery jasmine tree. Ella lifted her chin and inhaled the flowery scent. Savoring peace and tranquility, a hand disturbed the silence in the air making the books that lie on her lie fly as she backed off from her seat. "Oh Goodness gracious! What are you doing here?! You almost freaked me out!" Ella scolded, bending over the grass to pick her books, mostly of novels and pocket books by Danielle Steel and Nicholas Sparks.

 

 

"i should be the one asking you that. What are doing here again? Engulfing your self with cheesy scenes written in these novels."    Ella looked at him counter speak as she  brushed the dirt from the cover of her books and the other pages that flipped through.        Like our leading lady, the guy also wore reading glasses he also had retainer his teeth. Donning plaid long sleeves with a quirky bow tie and matching plaid pants, put all together with a pair of white leather shoes. That is Wang Lee Hom. The male counter part of Ella Chen and her bestfriend because he is the only friend that she had. Tall,slim,white skinned and nerdy ,thin lips, pointed nose but a complete fashion fail. Ella put her books aside then offered lee Hom to seat beside her. She looked at his shirt and pointed at the thing almost hiding at the center of his collar.

 

"You got yourself a new bow tie."

"yeah, You noticed?"

"Of course. Who wouldn't ? It stood out from your gray shirt and it was colored pink. How gay..."

 

Lee Hom smiled but Ella laughed. At the middle of their sweet exchange of laughter, the squealing and screaming came again to their ears just like the noise that the three girls she encountered earlier in the morning. but right now there's just not only three people involved there was a lot of them, probabaly a hundred girls out on the gate making a pool from the towering steel of the main gate. Then heard the crashing of wheels that stopped. It was a bit far from where Ella and Lee Hom sits but still they saw someone getting out then the screaming grew louder than expected. Ella tugged on Lee Hom's sleeve who starined his head to get a better view of the commotion. She pulled onto him for the second time to get his attention back. "What?" Lee Hom asked, looking down to his shoulders for Ella.

 

"Who is he?  Ella asked back, Lee Hom was in a bit of shock.

"Don't tell me that you don't know him?"

 

Ella innocently waved her head, her eye glasses nearing her nose tip so she adjusted it.  "No, I don't know him. At all. Was he a transferee? or some kind of superstar because he seems to be so popular among the girls here. Just see for yourself, every girl succumbs hard just to get his attention.


Lee Hom smiled and spoke back. "You can say that he's really popular. That part is correct but he isn't a superstar as what you think. And he isn't a transferee, In fact that guy over there was our batchmate that's why it sounds impossible that you don't know him."

 

Ella pulled one of her books and showed it to Lee Hom. "maybe I was too busy reading when he passes by me." Ella smirked. "So who is he anyways? I've never been a little curious only today." Lee Hom grinned to his bestfriend, only her can get away with a little ounce curiosity  not too much because that would be called stalking, He remembered her talking about that and what she called privacy. But everyday is a different day, maybe a little gossip won't hurt.


"Then let me introduce him to you. That is 'Pretty Flower Boy.'"

 

"What?! Can you repeat his name again?"