Final

May I Have This Dance?

14 months, 22 days

“Yah, let’s go now!” Miyoung said, fixing her earrings.

“One second.” I twirled a section of my hair around the wand, then let unwind as the section fell into a perfect, soft curl. Miyoung came behind me and watched me dab at my eyes, wiping away any imperfect eyeliner.

“How do I look?” I asked, looking at Miyoung’s reflection.

“Gorgeous! Now come on, we shouldn’t be late. Sehun’s waiting outside right now.” I nodded and grabbed my mask and heels, before running down the hall towards the front door. We both quickly pulled our heels onto our feet and pushed our hair out of our face, careful not to ruin our makeup.

“Ready?” I asked her. Miyoung nodded and opened the door, smiling.

Sehun was leaning against the wall outside the door in a black, traditional tux, his hair softly styled upwards. He looked wonderful, and the second we opened the door his eyes opened wide, his lips curving up into a big grin. He took a step towards us.

“You both look so beautiful.” Sehun held his hand out and Miyoung took it, Sehun lightly kissing her cheek.

“You look really nice too, oppa.” Miyoung responded, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Though it was almost pitch black outside, I knew she’s blushing as he held her hand tight, leading her towards his car. I locked the front door and followed after the cute lovebirds.

Sehun rented a limousine for us, and we crawled into the cushioned seats as Sehun directed the driver towards the dance. We got there in about five minutes, exited the car and saw various couples approach the building in floor length ball gowns, their faces hidden by beautiful masks.

Before we did anything, Miyoung and I quickly ran to the bathroom to check our makeup. Sehun told us a joke in the car and we both started cracking up, tearing up a tiny bit. I admired Miyoung’s amazing makeup skills as I stared at my face in the mirror. I had silver in the corner of my eyes, which faded to black on the outer lid. My eyes were lined in black eyeliner and I had mascara lengthening my lashes. My dress was a beautiful dark, inky purple, and it had tiny sparkles curving a line down from the top to the tip at the floor. My heels were silver, with a jeweled bow at the center. My mask was also silver, with black lace stitched on top of it and a feather attached to one side. I was absolutely in love with my outfit.

We exited the bathroom and Miyoung and I walked to the dance floor, pulling our masks over our heads. Miyoung immediately spotted Sehun and ran over to him, and I followed behind like a helpless third wheel.

The room was gorgeous. It was themed to look Aladdin, with gold and black everywhere. The walls looked like a night sky, the only difference being that the stars were gold. There were tall white pillars in the corners and pots filled with long black sticks that had gold twinkly lights twirling around them. It looked magical, especially with all the gorgeous masked people who walked about.

The first hour went by quickly, us three having fun dancing together, Sehun occasionally leaving to go talk to friends. Miyoung and I caught the attention of a lot of guys. I wasn’t surprised honestly, we were both extremely good dancers, considering we’ve been learning since the age of six.

A slow song began playing and all the couples filed into the center, holding onto their partner, swaying to the soft music. I sat down and tried not to look too much like a loner. Sehun and Miyoung weren’t too far from me, Sehun’s arms wrapped around her waist, and Miyoung’s head rested on his chest. They were so unbelievably cute together.

“Excuse me,” I looked up and saw a stranger standing before me.

“Can I have this dance?” He held out his hand. I looked from his face, hidden behind a gold mask with black vines running across it, down to his hand. I stared into his eyes, trying to see if I recognize him. But I didn’t think I knew him.

“I don’t know, can you?” I .

He smirked. “May I have this dance?”

I smiled and placed my hand in his, and he took me to the center of the couples just as a new slow song began playing.

(A/N: Listen to this~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeCp6QhK6o)

The stranger placed one hand on my waist, and held my hand while I placed my other hand on his shoulder. He began leading me, taking steps as I followed after him. We learned how to do this well in our last dance class, so I was confident that I wouldn’t look like an idiot.

He let go of my waist and twirled me, then pulled me into a small dip before holding my waist with both his hands. I wrapped my arms around his neck and we swayed to the music, my eyes never leaving his. I couldn’t make out any other features on his face other than his gentle, brown eyes and big lips. His hair was jet black and was lightly flowing across his forehead, covering the top of his mask.

I looked over and saw Miyoung and Sehun smiling in my direction, and I returned the smile sheepishly. Miyoung gave me a thumbs up and I rolled my eyes. Sehun laughed at me. Annoying friends of mine.

The stranger watched me interact with my friends and I could feel him pull me closer. “You’re mine right now.” He whispered into my ear, pulling me closer still. I leaned my head on his chest, letting the moment last forever.

The song ended and I looked up into his eyes.

“Thank you,” I said to him.

He shook his head. “No, thank you.” He tilted my chin up and kissed me lightly on the cheek, before letting go of me and walking away. I watched him disappear into the crowds and Miyoung and Sehun came over to me.

“Who was that?” Miyoung asked me. I just shrugged helplessly.

“Whoever, you two looked cute together.” Sehun winked at me, and I whacked him in response.

“Yah, shut up pabo.” They both laughed at me.

A couple more slow songs played but my stranger doesn’t return, so I sat at a table quietly, declining any other offers to dance. I didn’t want to dance with anyone else right now, really. The way he twirled me, pulled me closer to him… I didn’t want to ruin that experience by dancing with anyone else. I’d rather dance with no one than dance with someone else.

The last song ended and the three of us boarded Sehun’s limousine. He dropped us off at our apartment, kissed Miyoung goodnight, hugged me goodbye, and left. Miyoung and I cleaned off our faces, washing the beautiful make up away. I took a shower before falling into bed, passing out right away.

 

 

 

 

14 months, 20 days

I stretched my legs, reaching my fingers down to the tips of my toes. I waved at a couple people who entered the dance class, and continued my stretches.

“You again.” I voice said from behind me. I turned around and my eyes widened.

I recognized his eyes immediately, his thick, beautiful lips.

“Hello.” I reply. “Are you new to this class?” He nodded, biting his lip.

He took my hand and lead me into a side room, before shoving me against the wall, trapping me with both his hands on either side of me.

“I’m sorry I had to leave so quickly,” He whispered into my ear. A chill ripped through my body.

“You have some explaining to do,” I whispered, though my voice was shaking a little. He noticed it and one corner of his lips curled up.

“What’s your name?” He asked me. I told him my name, and he whispered it back in my ear. He use to tease me so much…

“What’s yours?”

“Kim Jongin, but call me Kai.”

“Kai… Nice to meet you Kai.” My voice cracked half way through the sentence when he traced my jaw with his fingers.

“Nervous, are we?” He my cheek, his hand trailing down to my neck. I shivered at his touch, wanting more, wanting him.

“Nothing to be nervous about,” I tried sounding strong, but I failed when he started leaning closer.

He chuckled, his hot breath tickled my skin. “If you say so,” he said, before leaning in to kiss me.

 

 

 

 

12 months

“Come with me.” I nodded and was surprised when he pulled a handkerchief out of nowhere.

“Do my eyes have to be covered?” I whined.

“Yes, now no complaining or else I’ll smother you with love.” Kai said, putting the blind fold over my eyes.

“Is that supposed to be a bad thing?” I tried turning to kiss him, but he held me still.

“Yah! No kisses until you do as I say.” I sighed, and let him guide me along the sidewalk, his hand locked around mine.

We continued walking until I felt myself run into his back.

“Oof.” I said, rubbing my forehead which slammed into his shoulder. He patted my head, chuckling.

“We’re here. Now, I’m going to take off the blind fold but you can’t say one word.” Kai put the blind fold in his pocket and lead me up the steps into a big hotel.

“What are we doing here?” I asked him.

Kai stopped in his steps. “No talking! Got it?” I nod.

We walked through a stone foyer, a beautiful fireplace nestled against one wall, people milling around, lounging on the big couches that faced the fire.

He pushed the elevator button and pulled me inside. Kai pressed the highest number and we stood in silence, the only sound having been the elevator as it slid up the lift, pulling us closer to the sky. It pinged open, and Kai lead me through a hallway until we reached a door that opened up to a metal staircase.

We walked up the never ending steps, and after what seemed like forever, we reached another door.

“Now close your eyes.”
“Bu-“

“Hey! No talking!”

I giggled and closed my eyes.

He opened the door and pushed me through, and I felt his hand wrap around my waist, pulling me along.

“And…. Okay. Open your eyes.”

I opened my eyes and gasped. Before me was the whole city, buildings lighting up as the sun began to fall over the horizon. The sky faded pink, to orange, to red, and I saw cars speeding along streets below me. It looked like a greeting card from some far away land I’d never be able to go to.

“It’s… gorgeous...” I breathed, taking in all the colors of the sky and the dots of people who walked around.

“I can see something more beautiful though.” I turned and saw Kai smiling at me. I blushed, and he pulled me in for a kiss.

 

 

 

 

10  months, 14 days

We danced in front of the class, teaching them the dance steps. We had been chosen as the two who would choreograph a dance to whatever song we chose, us two being the best dancers. Everyone started hooting and cheering when our names were called, and Kai just squeezed my hand tight, both of us chuckling. Kai and I spent hours after practice, coming up with dance moves to our song. The song. The song that we danced to at the dance, four months earlier. Those were the best moments of my life, getting to spend hours on end doing something I love with the person I love to the song that brought us together.

When the song ended, the class started clapping, and Kai took my hand and bowed with me. The teacher gave us compliments, then instructed everyone to get a partner and attempt our dance. The girls blushed as the guys approached them, asking to be their partner. I watched as everyone began trying to dance the steps we taught them. It was satisfying, watching people learning something that we created.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. Kai was standing there, staring at me with his brown eyes, his smile hinting at something like irony.

“Can I have this dance?” He held out his hand. I rolled my eyes.

“I don’t know, can you?”

May I have this dance?” I nodded, grinning, and he pulled me into his embrace, before getting in position to begin the dance.

 

 

 

 

4 months, 22 days

“How do I look?” I asked Miyoung, checking my hair in the mirror.

“Beautiful, like always. When’s he picking you up?” She looked out the window.

I checked my phone. “Uh… two minutes.”

“Knowing him, he’ll be here in two minutes so hurry up!” Miyoung pushed me to get my shoes on. I grabbed my ballet flats and pulled them over my feet when the bell rang.

“Have fun.” Miyoung winked at me and walked to her room.

I sighed, brushed my bangs out of my face and opened the door. Kai was standing there, looking handsome like always in a plain white t-shirt and jeans, holding a bouquet of roses. He smiled when he sees me.

“For you.” He handed me the bouquet and I placed them in the kitchen before running back over to him.

“For you.” I handed him the small gift I purchased and watched as he slowly unwrapped it, revealing a gorgeous leather watch.

“Did you buy this?!” He said, trying it on.

I nodded. “Do you like it?” I bit my lip nervously.

“It’s beautiful, but it looks so expensive…” Kai said, examining it.

“You’re worth it. And look! It’s engraved!” I pointed to the outer casing of the watch and he squinted at it, his eyes lighting up.

I love you, Kim Jongin.

“I love you too.” He grabbed me into an embrace, before leading me to his car.

“Where are we going?” I asked him as he opened the passenger door for me.

Kai eyed me suspiciously. “You want the surprise blown?”

I nodded, excited.

He chuckled, getting into the driver’s seat. “The amusement park.”

I started hopping up and down and swiftly kissed his cheek. “THANK YOU!!” I had begged him before to take me after we had gone a couple months earlier, but the weather was never warm enough.

“It’s our 10 month anniversary. We should do what you want. You sure that’s where you want to go, right? I just assumed since you always asked me.”

I nodded, almost snapping my neck. “Yes yes yes yes!”           

 

 

 

 

Present

I feel the tear slide down my cheek, another following after it. They drop onto the soil beneath my feet, soaking the dirt that covers him. I place the roses on the dirt, my tears dripping off my face like a faucet , landing on the roses, the soil, the stone. The stone that I wish was lying, that I wish was just joking about what it said. I wipe at my face with my sleeve. The clouds begin crying too, and I pull my hood over my head, running away from the person I never thought I’d run from. Though I’ll be with him soon.

I sniffle, consistently rubbing at my cheeks and nose as I continue to cry, beads of emotion streaking my face. I keep running, running down the street, until I reach a building. Without stopping, I run into the building, jabbing at the elevator buttons. The lift takes forever, but it finally brings me to the floor. I rush down the hall, ignoring the looks from a maid who asks me something. I can’t hear her though, I can’t hear anything but my sobs of despair.

I fling open the door and speed up the steps, crashing through the next door.

And I’m there again. The rooftop that he brought me to one year ago, exactly. I admire the sights, the colors that, like before, are painting the sky, covering the canvas as the sun sinks behind the skyline. I look over the edge, down towards the street below me, the cars speeding past like their lives depend on it.

“I love you, Kim Jongin.” I whisper, my words being carried away by the wind.

I climb onto the edge, my toes standing on nothing while my heels struggle to keep me on the surface. I let gravity pull me down without a second thought.

Immediately, screams that do not belong to me pierce the air, people from below yelling for help. Though what can they do? Nothing.

I keep my eyes open, the air flying past me as I race towards the ground.

Scenes of my life flow through my vision, as they do in all the stories. I see myself as a toddler, graduating from elementary school, middle school graduation, getting my first car, watching Miyoung and I buy our apartment together, and him. I see us dancing to our songs on various occasions, at the dance, at the beach, in my room, in his room, at dance class, everywhere we’ve ever moved in rhythm with the song that brought us together.

And suddenly, I see him. He’s wearing the tuxedo he wore at the dance, and he’s standing on the sidewalk directly below me. He doesn’t have his mask on, but I can see his grin from here, his arms spreading wide open to catch me. I smile, knowing he’s waiting for me to fall, so I can finally be with him again. He’s getting closer, closer, his arms a cushion of protection for me.

I land in his arms, Kai catching me perfectly, bridal style.

“I’ve been waiting for you,” He says to me.

“I came for you,” I respond, my eyes glimmering.