One Fine Day

Our Last Song Together

"Wow."  Park Jae Hee breathes out, absolutely awed by the sight.  
She is standing at the end of a very busy street which so happens to be one of Seoul's busiest streets all year around.  In the mid-afternoon with the sun shining behind fluffs of clouds, waves of people crash all around her and Jonghyun; girls with shopping large shopping bags, their smiles imprinted on their faces, some tourists snapping away at their cameras, a few people outside department stores checking their phones or eating snacks.  It is slightly cold despite the heat from the sun but, always, Jonghyun likes to drape his arm around Jae Hee while they walk together; he pointed at a few odd couple during their day out, Jonghyun leant close to her ear and whispered something and Jae Hee tried to stifle her laugh.
You see; with Jae Hee, Jonghyun can crack a few dirty jokes with her without eyebrows raised.  He likes shopping with her too: not that her taste is good, actually, it's bad since she lives in the countryside.  No; he likes fooling around in the changing room and being very critical towards the way she dresses because, let's be honest, she is plain-Jane.  But most of all, spending time with Jae Hee is precious: with all his full schedules working non-stop, in all his time under SM he never did have time to see her.
"My treat."
"You'll be spotted."
"I'll just wear this."  He props on a pair of sunglasses.  "I'll fit right in."
Jae Hee is not convinced.
"Shall we?"  He lends her his arm.
"Aren't you afraid of the paparazzi?  What would the media say if you were seen spotted with me?"
"Simple," an easy smile spread across his face, "I'll just say you're my girlfriend."

From a distance anyone can mistake the two people as a couple because they look carefree, relaxed and happy as both parties carry large shopping bags.  The sunglasses are perfect as a disguise for Kim Jonghyun because everyone appears to be wearing huge gecks* since the sun is out; the lady beside him is all smiles and laughs.  Perhaps a few girls who happen to pass them by may see the similarities between that guy and the famous SHINee member but the doubts are dissolved because they will never believe what they saw.  
For Kim Jonghyun his friendship with Park Jae Hee is muddled.  Yes; he isn't sure what this new feeling is- perhaps he hadn't seen her for a long time, thus missed her, but when they went into a boutique and Jae Hee tried on a few selection of dresses, she looked different and yet, the same girl who is his best friend.
"What do you think?"  Jae Hee said, swaying to and fro so the fabric floated along with her figure.
It was an ash-pink colour with a sheet of see-through fabric on top of the dress which was made with silk.  The dress tightens from the waist to the hip to emphasise the woman's slender figure, which it does wonderfully on Jae Hee because of helping her father with crops, her figure is slim and her buttocks are firm from horse-riding.  With his breath caught in his throat and words left unuttered, Jonghyun could not believe his sight; truly, Park Jae Hee has bloomed beautifully without his knowing in the past years.
"I quite like this dress," she smiled, her cheeks blushing with pleasure, "it doesn't show off too much, I think."
"Let's take a look at the other."
10 minutes later she came out with another, only this time, a hint of her small cleavage is revealed by this silver-grey outfit, sleeveless in a way which emphasises her collarbones and how sleek her figure is.  If it were not for the glasses, Jae Hee could easily detect the spell she has put Jonghyun in because behind the shades, he was completely entranced by her.  It was as if this Jae Hee hid herself from him all those years until now, with her naivety and voluptuousness which add to her appeal.

"What're you thinking?"  Jae Hee her ice-cream.  
The two best friends are sitting on the grass by a small pond in a park, the shopping bags on either side of them.  The sun is hidden behind a giant cloud which happens to be passing by over Seoul.  There aren't many people in this park, hence Jonghyun recommended it, because only elderly couples visit there for a bit of peace and quiet away from city and its business.  A mother duck and her baby ducklings are swimming quietly in the pond; Jonghyun throws a piece of small bread in their direction, and one of the baby ducks dive to retreat it.
"Hmmm…" Jonghyun takes off the sunglasses, "I'm thinkin'… I'm thinkin'…"
She turns her head towards him.
"What a nice day today is.."
"Hmmm.."
"… and wondering when you're going to tell me why you were upset yesterday."
"Thanks for my dress by the way, it's lovely."
Jonghyun turns and raises his eyebrows.
"Answer the question."
"I wasn't aware it was a question."
"Don't play clever; I know you long and well enough to know when you're happy and sad."
Jae Hee sighs.  She doesn't want to talk about it; why bring it up?  They are having a nice day out, just having fun like the times they had before Jonghyun left for SM, and all of a sudden he brings up this topic?  She is touched that he cares about her, but now is not the time; for one day, one day only, she wants to forget everything- she just wants her best friend to herself.  Is that too much to ask?  
Jonghyun immediately realises his mistake, but he has to know: what can possibly make her sombre?
"Tell me," he presses, "tell me about it.  Vent your anger, woman!"
She smiles sadly.  "There's nothing to vent."  She turns and faces him, misery glitters in her eyes despite the brave smile she is putting on.  "Everything's planned on Monday- I'm getting cold feet, that's all."
"Hey, hey," Jonghyun holds her hand in his, overwhelming by the unexpected sadness in her eyes, "tell me, what's happening on Monday?"
"I thought you knew."
"Knew what?"
"I'm getting married."

"I'm getting married."  She says.
I'm getting married…
Kim Jonghyun has been living in Seoul for a long time, ever since he left the village where he grew up, where he went to school with Park Jae Hee.  When he entered SM he had to move away, to move closer to his dream, to be the star which he had always dreamt of.  His best friend was his pillar of support; his family became distant, his friends stopped calling him, but it didn't matter because he was busy all the time.  Always, he could depend on Jae Hee for anything; as long as she believed in him, as long as she backed him up 100%, he could do anything.
I'm getting married…
Why do those words feel like lead: heavy and cold?  Perhaps he had changed little by little, maybe he missed seeing his best friend after, what seems, an eternity.  The happy memories with Jae Hee when they were children, the pictures of them together when they were kids laughing and smiling: he saw her cry, saw her being angry, saw her being lonely.  Despite any situation she would always be there for him because they are best friends.  She is always happy for him because he is happy.
Why can't he do the same?
I'm getting married…
A pall of loneliness seems to settle inside Jonghyun.  Those three words serve as severe blows to his heart, opening a hole inside him.

"Congratulations!"  
Kim Jonghyun grins, his face is creased into his crooked smile, he pulls her into a hug.  
"I can't believe it, you're getting married!"
"Yeah," Jae Hee attempts to match her enthusiasm with his, "neither can I."
Thus, the two stay like this for a while.  Neither can pull away- they don't want to pull away because neither wants to betray their secret.  As Jae Hee bites her lip to stop herself from trembling she thinks her best friend is congratulating her.  Well, he is; Jonghyun did, without a doubt, congratulate her, but because she is facing away from him she cannot see how hurt he is.  The truth is, he can't turn around: his handsome face is distorted as he feels the pain where his heart is vibrates.  His teeth are sunk into his bottom lip to stop himself from crying as tears well up and roll down his cheeks.