I Should Have Told You

I Never Told You

Note:

The ones in italics are flashbacks :)


Lee Jinki a.k.a Onew, Ondubu, Ontokki, SHINee's leader, has had a crush on Kim Taeyeon since they were trainees. In fact, he's come to a point where he's almost entirely sure he's in love. It was a known fact between SHINee and SNSD members, with the exception of Taeyeon of course. He thinks she's oblivious to the fact that he likes her and he's almost positive thet he's right. 

It seemed as if Taeyeon was too dense to notice his approaches. He doesn't want to think that she was that dense to notice he likes her but the way she acts proves otherwise. When he was invited to guest on ChinChin with the other 89-liners, he had hinted on her being a special friend. Or at least he thought he did. 

 

----

"Onew-ssi, among SNSD's 89-liners, who are you close to?" Taeyeon asked as she looked at him

"Uhh...Taeyeon?" he laughed, answering quite confidently though he purposely delayed his answer so his hint wouldn't be too obvious. Well, it wasn't obvious at all because it seemed as if Taeyeon thought it was some sort of a joke. But at least he made her smile right?

----

 

When Shinee and Snsd were told that they were going to collaborate for Juliette's goodbye stage, he instantly perked up. The thought of having Taeyeon as his Juliette seemed absolutely picture perfect. He'd thought of how he'd give the rose to Taeyeon once it was his turn but when the partners were announced, his face fell and so did his heart.

 

----

"Last but not the least, Onew-ssi, you're going to be partnered wiiith, Taey- oh wait, it looks like you're going to be partnered with Tiffany instead. Okay, we'll work on the choreography first thing tomorrow. We'll meet here at about 8:30. Don't be late and don't forget to eat your breakfast okay?" With that, the choreographer bade them goodbye

"Onew-ssi," Tiffany nudged him as she put a hand on his shoulder, trying her best to console him seeing as he was obviously disappointed that it wasn't Taeyeon he would dance with. "Manager oppa decided to replace Taeyeon from your goodbye stage because her schedule is sort of packed right now with practice and her radio show. Adding another practice schedule would only exhaust her and we're sure you wouldn't want her to tire herself and get sick right? Maybe next time we collaborate you'll be partnered with each other." she smiled

"Yeah. You're right. Just...Just send her my best when you see her. I haven't been able to talk to her too because she's been very busy lately." he sighed. Tiffany was right, Taeyeon needed her rest. He shouldn't be selfish and just think about himself and how  much he wanted to see her. Besides, to Taeyeon he's still just a friend, why would Taeyeon trade her well needed and well deserved rest to dance with him? He's certainly overthinking things but he just couldn't help it.

----

 

For some weird, unknown and unexplainable reason, he counted on Tiffany's word. He was told he'd have a different partner this time because it'd be a different type of dance. He'd waited for Taeyeon's name to be called for the dancebreak, but to no avail, it didn't happen. He was yet again disappointed. But it was his own fault for expecting.

 

----

"Okay everybody, same partners as the Juliette stage, except this time, Onew-ssi, you're going to be partnered with....Hyoyeon. I'll leave things at that for today. I suggest that you all try to be more comfortable with each other because unlike the Juliette stage, tomorrow's dancebreak is going to be...uhh, a little more touchy." the choreographer laughed and left.

"Jinki-ssi," Hyoyeon said as she tried to snap him out of his reverie. "Taeyeon's...a bit busy you know? She's got a pretty tight schedule, dance practice and her musical as well, so maybe that's why manager oppa didn't choose her to join the dance break. She just needs to rest for a while." she said as she patted his shoulder attempting to console him.

Well, so much for déjà vu he pouted.

----

 

He's tried dropping little hints and clues here and there more often but nothing really happens because he doesn't think he's getting any response at all. He's tried the 'double meaning' method wherein he'd say something that actually had more depth to it if you'd analyze it. Then he resorted to 'telepathy' sending her long meaningful looks that grandfathers would send to grandmothers. Basically, a look that said 'I love you'.

 

----

"Hey." he greeted her with a smile as he stepped closer to her ever so slightly

"Hi." she greeted back as she smiled sweetly.

They were at an awards show and they were both probably on camera and everyone watching would see their little smile and stare moment. He felt content about that little moment they had. He thought that when he looked into her eyes there was something different like her eyes were extra sparkly or something. But maybe she was just wearing contact lenses or maybe he just imagined it. Either way, he was sleeping with a smile on his face tonight.

----

 

Over the years, he had slowly lost hope that she would ever reciprocate let alone notice his feelings. The possibilities were getting slimmer and slimmer as time passed by. He lost even more hope the day after SNSD were guests on Sukira. Pictures of her and his Leeteuk hyung being sweet surfaced on the internet. 'Taeteuk' garnered much attention and fans started to make videos of the two insisting that they were real. Loads of videos of interactions during awards shows and tv guestings were made, the more videos came out, the more hope he lost.

He decided that he'd keep his distance for  a while until the whole 'Taetuk' thing died down. But it never really did as he wanted to happen. He'd kept his distance for 3 long, agonizing and somewhat depressing months, barely communicating with her. Only greetings were exchanged when they'd pass by each other. To be honest, he never really lost hope, he never really planned on losing hope. Well, up until that one day.

----

He came out of the practice room, hell bent on finally confessing to her. He'd spent 3 long months thinking of what he should do next. 3 months of no communication made him realize that he didn't care if SM found out that he loved Taeyeon. During those 3 months, he hadn't stopped thinking of her and he finally knew why. He was DEFINITELY in love with her. He needed to tell her how he felt, and he had to do it immediately. However, the moment he saw Leeteuk with his arms around Taeyeon, he'd lost all the courage he'd built up to confess. He'd lost everything. Giving up seemed to be the only viable option left for him. 

----

 

"Hyung, why are you watching all those Taeteuk videos? I mean, it's not like they're going to help you get over noona." Taemin trailed off. He was baffled as to why a man would bother watching the girl he loved be happy with another man. Isn't he just hurting himself even more?

"Hyung, do you seriously think that what you're doing will help you move on and forget?" Jonghyun fumed. He didn't like seeing Onew sad, heartbroken, quiet...heck he's probably on the brink of depression for God's sake. His sangtae has even disappeared! "Hyung, why are you doing this to yourself?!" he asked, his voice raising. Jonghyun just wanted Onew to let all his emotions and his feelings out, it didn't matter if he got hurt trying to get him to do it, he just wanted Onew to stop keeping it all in. They all did. 

The atmosphere was tense as they all stayed quiet in the living room, staring at Onew sitting on the couch with his jaw and his fists tightly clenched.

"You seriously want to know why?" Onew asked rhetorically as he stood up from his seat.  "I'm doing this, because I'm hoping that the more I watch, the more I become numb to that painful feeling I get whenever I see her with Leeteuk hyung. Maybe if I watch enough videos, I'll become numb completely and I won't be affected at all if I see them in person too. Maybe someday I'll get used to the picture of her being beside some other guy that's not me. "

 

----

Lee Jinki of SHINee, HAD a crush on Kim Taeyeon. He WAS once in love with her too. Heck, he's still in love to be completely honest but he just won't admit it. But she'll never know that because he gave up on her too soon.

...

 ...

...

 ...

...

 ...

...

 ...

----

"We haven't talked in months, and it . I hate the distance between us now oppa. It's like we've never been close at all. It's as if we didn't share secrets and stories when we were trainees. It's as if we've never been friends at all. I feel like we're complete strangers now." Taeyeon said as her voiced waivered. Tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"Shh...You know it's not like that Taengoo. This is the result of the fans pairing us up you know? You didn't do anything wrong, I didn't do anything wrong either. When the fans created Taeteuk they weren't aware of what would possibly be affected. I think that ever since we've been---"Leeteuk was cut off when Taeyeon suddenly raised her voice

"None of that has anything to do with ME and HIM. That has nothing to do with US at all!" she lashed. "Oppa, he hasn't talked to me in months. And it hurts. I thought he'd been dropping hints here and there, showing signs that he liked me. I thought those looks he gave me meant SOMETHING. Oppa, I thought-no, I HOPED that maybe he liked me too. I thought I felt something. I felt hope that maybe he loved me like I love him." she cried as Leeteuk hugged her.  

Taeyeon and Onew have grown distant the past few months ever since 'Taeteuk' became an issue that fans always talked about. She'd HOPED it wouldn't be permanent but sometimes hoping isn't enough to actually make things happen. 

----

 

Kim Taeyeon, SNSD's dorky kid leader, had a crush on LOVED Lee Jinki.  Truthfully, she loves him to this day, if you'd ask her. But he's never going to know that because he gave up on her before she could tell him that she loved him too. 

 


A/N:

JSYK, the radio moment and the awards show moment were actually real moments :)) I think I have gifs of those, if you want me to post it just let me know :))

This was inspired by Colbie Caillat's song I Never Told You. I thought this would turn out a bit better but meh. I at writing =)) so anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading :)  Anyway, constructive comments/criticisms are welcomed with open arms. Just no bashing of pairings :)) Comment and check out my other fics ayt ;)